PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Kevin Colbert: Sometimes you have to draft character risks

polamalubeast
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
In a year when fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu was arrested for leading police on a drunk driving chase and fifth-round pick Chris Rainey was cut because he allegedly slapped his girlfriend, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said the organization won‘t shy away from players with character issues in the NFL Draft.

Colbert told TribLive Radio on Friday that it would be unrealistic to go into the draft process eliminating all players who are labeled with character issues.

“Going forward, does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3322006-74/colbert-risk-character#ixzz2IMF7TZPJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

TMC
01-18-2013, 04:16 PM
I think you have to take each player and look at his circumstances. Now, I do not necessarily want a guy that wakes and bakes every day, but one failed drug test won't get him off my board. If he beats his girlfriend/wife, that is a huge red flag. I will listen to the details and weight each one. I can see a guy like Harrison, who breaks down a door and snaps a cell phone, and slaps her possibly getting a 2nd chance. If he does it again, IMO, it is a no brainer that you get rid of the guy. I do not condone domestic violence, but I also think people should have an opportunity to redeem themselves. Now, that is something of a sliding scale. You slap your girlfriend in an argument, we can get you help. You beat her ass, I really do not want you working for me.

I think drugs should be the same way. You fail a drug test, we can work with you. You fail a second one, I am looking to part ways because you cannot learn.

Ta'amu's offenses were enough for me. If they cut him loose, I would not have shed a tear. They want to give him a chance. Don't know, did not talk to him. Obviously he sold them. Same with Adams. Maybe. Maybe when you talk to them in person, they are remorseful. Rainey had pooped in his hat once....now he has pooped in his hat and we all had to smell it. That was one too many times.

In the draft, I can understand taking a guy that failed a drug test in college or got popped for underage drinking or did something dumb. What I do not want is a guy that does not seem to learn from it. I would not invite a one man crime spree into my locker room.