PDA

View Full Version : With the 17th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

polamalubeast
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Which are the players the Steelers could drafted?

Dwinsgames
01-16-2013, 06:50 PM
hopefully we trade down

polamalubeast
01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
hopefully we trade down

or trade up for a game changer as in 2003 with Troy Polamalu

st33lersguy
01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Hopefully Te'o will be available and we get him

Dwinsgames
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
or trade up for a game changer as in 2003 with Troy Polamalu

we have to many holes to give up draft picks IMO , we also have cap issues and could face some guys being released ( and we only have 36 I think under contract for 2013 ) we need all the picks we can get our hands on and this being a pretty deep draft in some key spots we need to address ( such as S ) why not move down , get a few extra picks ( move down a few spots a few times and then maybe clear out of the first round would be my preference ) we need 17 bodies to make the team and are over the cap at this point , cut a few guys and you need a few more .... trading down is the best answer IMO

polamalubeast
01-16-2013, 07:09 PM
we have to many holes to give up draft picks IMO , we also have cap issues and could face some guys being released ( and we only have 36 I think under contract for 2013 ) we need all the picks we can get our hands on and this being a pretty deep draft in some key spots we need to address ( such as S ) why not move down , get a few extra picks ( move down a few spots a few times and then maybe clear out of the first round would be my preference ) we need 17 bodies to make the team and are over the cap at this point , cut a few guys and you need a few more .... trading down is the best answer IMO

I understand your point, but the Steelers need a game changer.....Of course, I agree that making a trade up is probably a bad idea

I think that the steelers will stay at 17

86WARD
01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

He's a fucking basket case...want no parts of him...and I'm sure a lot of teams will feel the same after the latest news.

Dwinsgames
01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
He's a fucking basket case...want no parts of him...and I'm sure a lot of teams will feel the same after the latest news.

I can understand your logic , I never hold one game against a guy who has had an otherwise bright career but it does give you reason to take pause and re evaluate , then when something like this new crap hits the media giving you other points of concern about mental maturity and where he may or may not be stability wise it puts big red flag up for me ....

not saying I would be opposed to drafting him , but I do not believe I could make the financial long term investment in someone I have multiple concerns with in the first round , if the bottom falls out of his stock and he is there in round 2 I might feel differently ( months ago I was all over this kid in the first round not now ) .... he could become the next greatest thing , or he could implode to much of a gamble for me 1st round picks are to hard to come by ...

SteelerFanInStl
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM

I agree. I used to think that it would be great if he would fall to us but now I want no part of him. After watching him fail miserably against Alabama, I have serious questions about how good he'll be in the NFL.

There's no one in this draft worth trading up for IMO. I'd prefer to trade down, but staying at 17 would be good too. We will get a game-changer at 17.

GBMelBlount
01-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Sounds like we would be getting two first round players with one pick.

Te'o....Te'o...daylight come and he wanna go home...

http://youtu.be/AQXVHITd1N4

Aussie_steeler
01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Here is my list of who will genuinely be on the board. I have not anyone listed that will need to fall to be available at #17

1. Jesse Williams NT
2. Sam Montgomery OLB
3. Xavier Rhodes CB
4. Alex Okafor OLB
5. Ezekiel Ansah OLB
6. Cordarelle Patterson WR
7. Alex Ogletree ILB
8. Eric Minter ILB
9. De'andre Hopkins WR

Steeldude
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Who cares if he made up a g/f or didn't make one up? If he is available he is worth a solid look.

There's no one in this draft worth trading up for IMO

What about Jarvis Jones?

Dwinsgames
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
What about Jarvis Jones?

Jarvis Jones will probably be off the board in the first 3 or 4 picks , a trade up for him from 17 would cost nearly the entire draft .... won't happen

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Jarvis Jones will probably be off the board in the first 3 or 4 picks , a trade up for him from 17 would cost nearly the entire draft .... won't happen

Yes, he will be long gone. In the other thread where I said the same thing, I actually listed Jones as the exception.

86WARD
01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Lets say this...Te'o performed horribly and was man-handled when facing a team as close to an NFL Franchise as possible. That's got to be taken into consideration and after that a few draftnicks had him in a free fall...

polamalubeast
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Lets say this...Te'o performed horribly and was man-handled when facing a team as close to an NFL Franchise as possible. That's got to be taken into consideration and after that a few draftnicks had him in a free fall...

agree....Te'o was awful vs Alabama....awful

Count Steeler
01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
agree....Te'o was awful vs Alabama....awful

He was distracted with the death of his ... ah... "girlfriend"?

Steeldude
01-18-2013, 12:53 AM

I was just saying he would be the only player to trade up for. I realize he will be gone very early in the draft.

I wouldn't mind trading most of the entire draft, if not all, to get him. The Steelers haven't been exactly impressive with rounds 2 thru 7.

Aussie_steeler
01-18-2013, 05:58 AM
2009 seasonJones attended University of Southern California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Southern_California) for his freshman year, during which he saw action as a special teams and backup player for the USC Trojans Football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USC_Trojans_Football) team. In the first eight games, he recorded 13 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss. During the game against Oregon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Oregon_Ducks_football_team) Jones suffered a neck injury. He was later diagnosed with spinal stenosis and the USC medical staff would not clear him to play for the team again.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarvis_Jones#cite_note-5)
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jarvis_Jones&action=edit&section=4&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)] 2010 season

When the USC medical staff would not allow Jones to practice in the spring of 2010, Jones asked for and was granted a release to transfer. His high school coach contacted Georgia, Auburn, and Florida State to discuss the possibility with the teams' coaches. After meeting with Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Grantham), Jones underwent medical testing by the Georgia staff and was cleared to play football at the University of Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Georgia). He would have to redshirt during the 2010 season per NCAA transfer rules.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarvis_Jones

Jarvis Jones has some serious doubts associated with his NFL life span. The spinal stenosis will be a major issue for many teams.

I am not all in for someone like Jones. If it was Javedeon Clowney next year then I would say yes

GBMelBlount
01-18-2013, 06:21 AM
BPA at one of our many positions of need or trade down.

Aussie_steeler
01-18-2013, 06:29 AM
I am down for identifying a 10 year cornerstone type player for the defence.

Casey Hampton was that kind of player for the majority of career.

I can see Jesse Williams being the same kind of player for the steelers.

If you can dominate the line of scrimmage you are more than a good chance of winning.

Going forward I like:

O line: Pouncey, De Castro, Adams as the nucleus
D line: Heyward and someone like Jesse Williams to be the core to dominating the line of scrimmage.

Those 5 players wont break the bank / cap near as much as the price of OLB's and WR's who are always looking for premium pay.
Blue collar positions, blue collar work ethic for a blue collar cities football team.

polamalubeast
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
BPA at one of our many positions of need or trade down.

agree for the BPA

But I do not think the trade down is a good idea

The browns have often trade down since several years(2009 with the jets(bad trade for both team)and 2011 with the falcons for Julio Jones...great trade for the falcons) and they(Browns) are still bad....Quality is more important than the quantity, but of course the quantity is also important

Dwinsgames
01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
agree for the BPA

But I do not think the trade down is a good idea

The browns have often trade down since several years(2009 with the jets(bad trade for both team)and 2011 with the falcons for Julio Jones...great trade for the falcons) and they(Browns) are still bad....Quality is more important than the quantity, but of course the quantity is also important

the browns are not a bad team because of trading down ...

the browns are a bad team for abandoning their picks and trading them away for next to nothing in return ...

they are also a bad team for poor player evaluations prior to drafting them ...

another reason they are a bad team is they keep changing coaching staffs and the philosophies that go with it such as schemes ....

the Browns / Falcons trade is way to early to tell if it was " Bad" or good ..... a trade down is only as good as the players you draft with the added picks and what you do as a team afterwards like schemes etc ...

you could give the Browns the top 10 picks 3 out of 5 years and if they miss evaluate the guys they pick , then trade them for next to nothing in return and swap coaching staffs on those players 3 times in 5 years they will still suck ( just my opinion )

Steeltreal
01-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Hood and Heyward were the 3rd or 4th rated DE's in their draft. If we want a 10 year guy wouldnt we want the #1 rated at their position. Cap wise Warmack to replace Colon, Keenan Allen to replace Wallace, , and then theres a TE Eifert, him and Heath would be tough to defend

Count Steeler
01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Isn't BPA a misnomer? I hardly think Ben was BPA when we picked him. He has turned out to be one of the best QBs from that draft class, but a strict adherence to BPA probably would have dictated us taking a linebacker or a safety. "BPA with need" would be more accurate, IMO.

Dwinsgames
01-18-2013, 08:22 PM
BPA of a pos of need , since we need multiple pos. that should not be a tough task and still walk away with a dam fine player ( still prefer to trade down and use that same formula )

Count Steeler
01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
BPA of a pos of need , since we need multiple pos. that should not be a tough task and still walk away with a dam fine player ( still prefer to trade down and use that same formula )

I like the idea of trading down this year. Especially if we can package a vet or 2.

GBMelBlount
01-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Hood and Heyward were the 3rd or 4th rated DE's in their draft. If we want a 10 year guy wouldnt we want the #1 rated at their position. Cap wise Warmack to replace Colon, Keenan Allen to replace Wallace, , and then theres a TE Eifert, him and Heath would be tough to defend

Is choosing the number # 1 rated college prospect at each position a sure thing?

Aussie_steeler
01-19-2013, 02:59 AM

In the 2001 the draft the DT crop panned out as follows

Round 1 pick 3 Gerard Warren Browns
Round 1 pick 6 Richard Seymour Pats
Round 1 pick 12 Damione Lewis Rams
Round 1 pick 13 Marcus Stroud Jags
Round 1 pick 19 Casey Hampton Steelers

Star Lotulaelei is a yes if he is available. However I would still take Jesse Williams over Hankins and Richardson who are rated higher.

You don't need the #1 guy on the board. You just need the #1 guy on your board for the pick your are anticipating to make.

Steeltreal
01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I was talking salary cap, Wallace , Colon , and Millers contracts compared to new rookie cap will help long term.

SteelerFanInStl
01-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Star Lotulaelei is a yes if he is available. However I would still take Jesse Williams over Hankins and Richardson who are rated higher.

You don't need the #1 guy on the board. You just need the #1 guy on your board for the pick your are anticipating to make.

Richardson isn't a NT like the other guys and doesn't fit our defense. He'll be a 4-3 DT or DE. He's a stud.

Steeldude
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
I was talking salary cap, Wallace , Colon , and Millers contracts compared to new rookie cap will help long term.

I doubt the Steelers draft a NT in the 1st round. IMO, they will go into the 2013 season with Mclendon as the starter and Taamu and recently acquired Fangupo playing the backup rolls. My guess is they will go LB or S in the 1st round

SteelerFanInStl
01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I doubt the Steelers draft a NT in the 1st round. IMO, they will go into the 2013 season with Mclendon as the starter and Taamu and recently acquired Fangupo playing the backup rolls. My guess is they will go LB or S in the 1st round

I agree and that's what I'm hoping for, S or LB in the first.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Isn't BPA a misnomer? I hardly think Ben was BPA when we picked him. He has turned out to be one of the best QBs from that draft class, but a strict adherence to BPA probably would have dictated us taking a linebacker or a safety. "BPA with need" would be more accurate, IMO.

No, some evaluators actually had Ben ahead of Rivers. He was likely the BPA and actually sat around the green room longer that many expected. The fact we needed a QB was a bonus that one of the 3 was there.

Count Steeler
01-20-2013, 05:34 AM
No, some evaluators actually had Ben ahead of Rivers. He was likely the BPA and actually sat around the green room longer that many expected. The fact we needed a QB was a bonus that one of the 3 was there.

Well, that's the thing. If we didn't need a QB, say we already had a franchise QB that was about 28 years old. Do we still draft Ben? We probably would have went with another position.

To be clear, I consider Timmons a way better "athlete" than Ben. In fact, Ben would never be drafted under a strict adherence to Best Possible "Athlete".

All the mock drafts that I've read always take into consideration what positions need to be filled. If not, we would probably draft a Linebacker or CB/Safety, WR or RB in the first round of every draft. In my mind they are the best "athletes" on the field.

BPA would have RGIII ahead of Luck, everyday of the week.

GBMelBlount
01-20-2013, 07:41 AM

I wonder how Steelers fans would feel now if we had taken Burfict in the later rounds last year. Even with his problems causing him to go undrafted he was still rated a first round grade by some experts and had a very solid rookie year for Cincy.

To a lesser degree this is what happened with Adams and why we ended up getting two first round grade linemen with our first two picks.

Also, I am curious if Te'o has a history of nuttyness or is this incident more of an exception and something that just spun out of control.

Count Steeler
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I wonder how Steelers fans would feel now if we had taken Burfict in the later rounds last year. Even with his problems causing him to go undrafted he was still rated a first round grade by some experts and had a very solid rookie year for Cincy.

To a lesser degree this is what happened with Adams and why we ended up getting two first round grade linemen with our first two picks.

Also, I am curious if Te'o has a history of nuttyness or is this incident more of an exception and something that just spun out of control.

As far as Burfict goes:

1) He would only be allowed to play Special Teams for his first 2 seasons and the odd snap during games.

2) He would have found a way to get injured.

SteelerFanInStl
01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
To be clear, I consider Timmons a way better "athlete" than Ben. In fact, Ben would never be drafted under a strict adherence to Best Possible "Athlete".

All the mock drafts that I've read always take into consideration what positions need to be filled. If not, we would probably draft a Linebacker or CB/Safety, WR or RB in the first round of every draft. In my mind they are the best "athletes" on the field.

BPA would have RGIII ahead of Luck, everyday of the week.

BPA = Best Player Available. I don't know where you're getting "Best Possible Athlete".

GBMelBlount
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
BPA = Best Player Available. I don't know where you're getting "Best Possible Athlete".

Of course.

However I do think there is a tendency to focus on the most athletic players (all other things being relatively equal) because of the belief they may have a greater likelihood of developing into a starter or solid back given a given a couple years to develop.

steeldawg
01-20-2013, 11:36 AM

ya if we were drafting best possible athelete we would be drafting wideouts and corners the whole draft lol

Count Steeler
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
My apologies. I don't know why I started thinking BPA was best possible athlete.

Chidi29
01-21-2013, 01:17 AM
In the 2001 the draft the DT crop panned out as follows

Round 1 pick 3 Gerard Warren Browns
Round 1 pick 6 Richard Seymour Pats
Round 1 pick 12 Damione Lewis Rams
Round 1 pick 13 Marcus Stroud Jags
Round 1 pick 19 Casey Hampton Steelers

I really don't see Star being there at 17. I haven't watched all the top guys yet, but I've watched him multiple times and he's a top five talent. A guy that is 320 who can play like a 290 one gapper. To me, his skillset is really rare.

steelmen
01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Agree Jesse Williams is the best NT for Steelers. First Round pick at 17 for Steelers in order of preference:

#47 Ansah! Nuff said.
Eddie Lacey. With a much sounder "O" Line, he will add years to Benb's longevity.
Jessie Williams. Strongest guy around & will eat space.

deweybeachde
01-31-2013, 06:35 AM
I think it is a perfect trade down scenario this year. The 4 worst teams all need QBs but Geno Smith or Matt Barkely are not worth that high of draft pick. A trade down from 17 to 33 to 36 should net an additional high 3rd and 4th rounder as well as getting the a player that falls out of 1st round. Getting 10 picks this year would help in the reloading process, especially if 5 of those players are in the Top 100.

Steeltreal
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I think it is a perfect trade down scenario this year. The 4 worst teams all need QBs but Geno Smith or Matt Barkely are not worth that high of draft pick. A trade down from 17 to 33 to 36 should net an additional high 3rd and 4th rounder as well as getting the a player that falls out of 1st round. Getting 10 picks this year would help in the reloading process, especially if 5 of those players are in the Top 100.

Guess our current depth are no longer considered 'starters in waiting'. If we need 10 rookies.

Dwinsgames
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Guess our current depth are no longer considered 'starters in waiting'. If we need 10 rookies.

we need to field 53 and a PS ... we have 35 under contract ... do the math we need all the warm bodies we can get at this point

43Hitman
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
we need to field 53 and a PS ... we have 35 under contract ... do the math we need all the warm bodies we can get at this point

And are broke as well. Some tough cuts coming down the pipe this off-season.

deweybeachde
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Obviously 10 rookies won't make next year's team.

Who are the Replacements for Foote, Hampton, Foster, and Starks, if they are not re-signed?
Who is Wallace, Keenan Lewis and Mendenhall's starters in waiting?
Will these back ups whose contracts expired be future starters? Mundy, Will Allen, Legursky

The Starters in waiting succession plan as I see it is

Foote>>>Spence, if healed, or is he better as a backup to Timmons? Sylvester???If they are not thumpers then we need one.
Hampton>>>McLendon, TaAmu, Fangupo
Foster>>>DeCastro takes this spot now who is his back up? Beachum?
Starks>>>Gilbert or Adams now who are there back ups? Beachum?

Now lets talk about Wallace, Mendenhall, and Keenan Lewis. Lewis may be the only probability of signing but if not Cortez Allen looked pretty good in packages. Wallace is clearly a #1 receiver. Brown and Sanders are good but do not stretch he field. Are you comfortable that Cotchery or Gilreath is the starter in waiting?
Mendenhall may be back on the cheap but Dwyer and Redman did not look like game changers.

Do you think Cotchery, Harrison and Colon will not be Cap casualties?
Worilds may be the starter.
Does Gilreath take over if Cotchery is a casualty as the number 3 WR?
Does Beachum take Colon's spot?

Are you comfortable with Robert Golden replacing Clark or Polamalu within the next few years or are 2 rookies needed to play special teams and learn the system for a little while before starting? We will need at least 1 or re sign Mundy or Allen as starters in waiting.

Now knowing how many free agents we sign each off season and looking at our starters in waiting, how many new rookies are on the 53 next year?
At minimum......New starters in waiting needed for WR, RB, ILB, SS

Possibly More starters in waiting
FS if Golden is not the answer for Clark
OLB if Worilds is not the answer
OLB if Carter is not the answer for Woodley. I hope Woodley can stay healthy.
CB if Curtis Brown is not the answer for Ike Taylor
DE if Heyward is not the answer for Keisel

XxKnightxX
01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Who cares if he made up a g/f or didn't make one up? If he is available he is worth a solid look.

What about Jarvis Jones?

Umm its not the drama behind it. Just the mere concept that there were so many red flags in the story from the get go and he still couldn't knock it in his brain. He seems to be lacking in the common sense department, big time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Steeltreal
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM

The maths been done
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/steelers-2013-salary-cap-numbers/

My fix would be dump Woodleys overated ass and start Worilds

LLT
02-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Wallace is clearly a #1 receiver. Brown and Sanders are good but do not stretch he field.

Sanders ran a 4.41 forty at the combine ...here is the write up on him directly afterwards.

He shows excellent acceleration off the line and can stretch the secondary down the seam with his vertical speed.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/emmanuel-sanders?id=497322

We have not utilized him in that capacity ...yet. But that doesnt mean he cant do it if asked.

GBMelBlount
02-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Sanders ran a 4.41 forty at the combine ...here is the write up on him directly afterwards.

We have not utilized him in that capacity ...yet. But that doesnt mean he cant do it if asked.

I agree.

I also think Brown has comparable game speed.

86WARD
02-01-2013, 06:17 AM
I'd seriously entertain the thought of trading Woodley and either restructuring or cutting Harrison and just rebuild the LB Corps from scratch at this point.

LLT
02-01-2013, 06:20 AM
I agree.

I also think Brown has comparable game speed.

Pretty close...4.47

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
A trade down would be great but that's usually tough to do.

I would love to see Jarvis Jones drop to us as some mocks are showing but I just don't believe that it'll happen.

If Jones isn't there, I'd love to get Ogletree.

Dwinsgames
02-02-2013, 03:43 PM
a LOT of player adjustments are being made on boards around the league and many many more " fine tuning " will be done got a couple looks at Brad Sorenson's stock and it is on the rise from a few months ago a 5th round guy to now some boards ( draft sites ) have him sneaking into the 3rd round hell at this rate ( if those sites are close to correct ) a solid combine and he may be off the board before we pick in the second round lol .......

it is just hard to say where some guys will go considering all it takes is 1 team to fall in love but myself this is the time to get a longer harder look at game tape than it is to worry about the combine ( and for whatever reason ) that will have more effect than what a great game or horrible game here or there will ... for me it is more about what they did on the field of play vs other guys trying to stop them than what they do in shorts and a T Shirt in Indy ( but watch guys go shooting up mock draft boards based on Indy ) I want football player not track stars ...do it in pads and then I am impressed !

Dwinsgames
02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
BigC ( Curtis Popejoy ) from Draftbardinsider and now rant sports pre combine mock http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/16/pre-combine-pittsburgh-steelers-2013-nfl-mock-draft/

if you are unfamiliar with Curt he has been on many local espn affiliates in the past talking the draft , is a co founder of my old board and a long time internet friend who is a noteworthy draft guru that his 5 year mock averages are well documented and is top 25 in the nation over that span http://www.thehuddlereport.com/index/mockdraftscores.shtml

just thought I would add this for some perspective