PDA

View Full Version : Reasons For the (Rooney) Rule

SteelerEmpire
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
The Steelers Organization making history in several areas.

--------------------

Andy Reid just hired his son Britt as one of his assistant coaches in Kansas City. When Tony Sparano worked as the Miami Dolphins’ head coach, he brought his son and namesake aboard. Josh McDaniels’ Denver staff in 2009 and 2010 included his younger brother, Ben.

LINK: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40979554/

http://www.sportsonearth.com/assets/images/5/6/0/40979560/cuts/rooney_tomlin_1980x1100_i9fvrcsw_9lm60las.jpg

GodfatherofSoul
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't remember if there was much nepotism when it was introduced, but there were a lot of hack coaches being recycled based on "experience."

Steeldude
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
It's a stupid rule. Also, can't it be rather embarrassing for the minority being interviewed? He/she must wonder if he/she is being interviewed based on his/her resume or their race.

Godfather
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
It's a stupid rule. Also, can't it be rather embarrassing for the minority being interviewed? He/she must wonder if he/she is being interviewed based on his/her resume or their race.

Probably not. Even if you know it's just a Rooney Rule interview, you can do it to gain interview experience and do the team a favor (which can pay off in the future). And if the guy they want doesn't take the job, you're next in line.

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2013, 06:23 PM

good point. never thought of it that way before.

SteelerEmpire
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM

True. But either you know your a good coach, or not. The person in question will know if their there for showboating, or not. In the past, some minorities "knew" they were good coach's and never even got interviewed... I believe this rule was put in place to address that. Wonder what Coach Tomlin thought ?

Godfather
01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
True. But either you know your a good coach, or not. The person in question will know if their there for showboating, or not. In the past, some minorities "knew" they were good coach's and never even got interviewed... I believe this rule was put in place to address that. Wonder what Coach Tomlin thought ?

Tomlin knew he was a serious candidate because we'd already interviewed Ron Rivera.

Chris Rock raised a good point--Andy Reid won 4 games and had competing offers. Lovie Smith won 10 and didn't get hired again. (He also could have added that they're both 0-1 in the Super Bowl.)

st33lersguy
01-21-2013, 10:05 PM
The whole concept of the Rooney Rule is stupid. Black, White, they are both people. Let's stop pretending there is a real difference

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Rock raised a good point--Andy Reid won 4 games and had competing offers. Lovie Smith won 10 and didn't get hired again. (He also could have added that they're both 0-1 in the Super Bowl.)

He also could have added that Lovie has missed the playoffs more times in his career than Andy despite 5 fewer seasons as a head coach

86WARD
02-02-2013, 05:17 AM
So Goodell is looking to tweak the rule because he's disappointed in the "hire results" this time around...lol. What ever happened to just hiring the most qualified guy?!?

http://i.imgur.com/NwASIas.jpgp

SteelerEmpire
02-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Should a company (including an NFL team) hire the most qualified guy ? Yes.
Do these types of affirmative action programs sometimes hire guys that are less qualified ? Yes.

But it also works both ways. I can name off a LONG list of white guys that have gotten hired and are in positions that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground.

Count Steeler
02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I think in the interest of setting the bar as high as possible, Goodell should resign as Commish with the proviso that he must be replaced by someone who is a visible minority and, ideally, with a handicap.

Shoes
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I think in the interest of setting the bar as high as possible, Goodell should resign as Commish with the proviso that he must be replaced by someone who is a visible minority and, ideally, with a handicap.

Exactly....lead by example commish!

st33lersguy
02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
I am just tired of race being injected where it has no business being injected into. Political correctness has no business in the sports world, and that is what the rooney rule stems from, political correctness. I am all for looking past race and treating white and minorities as if they were the same, a foreign concept to liberals