PDA

View Full Version : A wide array of issues for Steelers at receiver

zulater
01-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Uh oh.
The position the Steelers were least worried about heading into the 2012 season might be the one that concerns them most going in 2013.
Even as big-play wide receiver Mike Wallace held out during training camp, Antonio Brown signed a $42.5 million contract and Emmanuel Sanders looked like a starter in waiting. Possession receiver Jerricho Cotchery added depth and a valuable third-down option.
All Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley needed to do was decide how to spread out all the receptions and all the yardage.
“(Early in the season) we had everything we wanted,” Cotchery said. “We were moving the ball so well. We were growing.”
Fumbles, close losses, injuries and the lack of a running game conspired to ruin all that September optimism.
Wallace didn‘t play like a receiver in a contract year — it didn‘t help that the deep ball was ignored game after game — and Roethlisberger‘s three-game midseason injury layoff proved to be the undoing of a season.
“There‘s a lot of stuff that‘s going to come from this,” Brown said of the Steelers‘ 8-8 season. “A lot of learning.”
And a good bit of rebuilding.
Wallace seems likely to leave via free agency in two months, creating a major void in an offense that must replace the 235 passes he caught and 32 touchdowns he produced over the past four seasons. And, likely, an expensive void to fill.
Despite Wallace‘s downslide this season — he graded out among the NFL‘s top 15 receivers in 2011 but in the bottom 15 this season, based on Pro Football Focus‘ play-by-play analytical breakdown — it might not be easy to replace what arguably was the fastest wide receiver in Steelers history.
“I think one of the things that probably hurt them was that Wallace was one of those guys who didn‘t understand that this is a business,” said former Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt, now a SiriusXM NFL Radio analyst. “They paid him for what he did this year, and he kind of played mad at the team and organization.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3299818-74/season-receiver-steelers#ixzz2I8YCmgdf
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GBMelBlount
01-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Hate to see Wallace go but being that neither Ben nor our current offense are the best fit and he had an underwhelming season it is probably best.

I also wonder if his poor attitude and lack of focus rubbed off on the other receivers.

I feel Brown and Sanders are capable of being above average #1 & #2 receivers and we hopefully find a mid / later round gem as we did with Brown, Wallace and Sanders.

NJarhead
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm very curious to see who goes after him? Who has the need and the cash? History says it'll be the Jets, but I doubt it. Rams?

XxKnightxX
01-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Dolphins. They need someone to strech the field. But they won't go after him first since they got their sights on Jennings.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Mojouw
01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Vikings. Opens the field for Harvin and Rudolph. Not to mention that play-action would be lethal...

NJarhead
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Vikings. Opens the field for Harvin and Rudolph. Not to mention that play-action would be lethal...

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. I'd definitely add them to the short list.

lilyoder6
01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
if i were the bengals i would go after wallace.. they have the most cap going into next yr and they NEED someone opposite of green.. if this happens they would be quite good at passing the ball and then leading into running the ball well

Mojouw
01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Assuming Wallace hits the open market and a bidding war somewhere north of 7 million per year develops, here are some thoughts based on cap room #'s I found on internet:

Cincy - already mentioned. Ton of room and look-out if Wallace and Green were put together.
Cleveland - ton of room and need weapons on offense.
Indy - ton of cap room and need all the weapons they can give Luck. T.Y. Hilton and Wallace would be perhaps the fastest (although least physical) duo in the league.
Vikings - mentioned above.
Jacksonville - cap space combined with lack of talent on offense almost mandates an offer
Miami - desperate for a #1 WR. They should have more than enough room under the cap.
New England -'cause why not. Wallace takes the old Randy Moss/Brandon Lloyd role in NE video game offense
Philly - need to clear cap space, but Chip Kelly loves speed. Desean Jackson, Wallace, Maclin, and McCoy sure would be fast.
Tennessee - Britt is a knucklehead. Need weapons on offense to speed Locker's development.
Seattle - Wilson could use another weapon. Have more than enough cap space.

Basically it certainly looks like Wallace would get paid on the open market and there should be no shortage of suitors.

zulater
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
I couldn't care less where Wallace ends up.

I'm more interested in discussing who's going to stay, who's going to be brought in, and how they're going to produce. As Steelers!

Mojouw
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm more interested in discussing who's going to stay, who's going to be brought in, and how they're going to produce. As Steelers!

My only point was that IF the Steelers wanted to resign Wallace they will likely have to make a strong offer prior to him hitting the open market.

ALLD
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't think Wallace will get a $50 million contract just to run fast in a straight line and drop the ball, but catch a touchdown every other game. He may have burned his bridges in Pitt, but Brown will have a bigger paycheck.

NJarhead
01-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Well, bless your little heart.

:chuckle:

Carolina Steelers
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
coming into this season i thought the WR's were are strong point now 16 games later Wallace is leaving and Brown and Sanders have given me doubts heading into next yr

GBMelBlount
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
coming into this season i thought the WR's were are strong point now 16 games later Wallace is leaving and Brown and Sanders have given me doubts heading into next yr

That is EXACTLY how I felt CS.

The ONLY thing I was more disappointed in this year was the coaching.

Count Steeler
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM

That is EXACTLY how I felt CS.

The ONLY thing I was more disappointed in this year was the coaching.

I guess we know the value that Ward brought to the team and these young guys. Montgomery should be on shaky ground, IMO.

Craic
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I guess we know the value that Ward brought to the team and these young guys. Montgomery should be on shaky ground, IMO.

Ain't that the truth. I wonder just how much of the issues amongst our WR corp this season happened specifically because Ward was gone.

TMC
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
[I]The position the Steelers were least worried about heading into the 2012 season might be the one that concerns them most going in 2013.

I usually get into this debate somewhere on the internet prior to the draft, so I will just reiterate it here. That statement is why I always advocate a team taking the BPA. Now, I do understand that you may rule out a position or two if you have franchise players at that spot under multiple year contracts, but in general, I never rule out a position in the draft.

I also do not expect rookies to come in and grasp a playbook AND make the adjustment to a higher level of competition as a rookie. It really is not a realistic expectation. Sure, some do, most don't. The only position I would not spend my first round pick on entering this draft is QB. If there is an OL (with the exception of a RT only), RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, or DB that is worthy of the selection and considered a better prospect by the scouting staff, I take them. Your draft picks should be looked at as long-term investments, not quick payouts. Draft the talent. If you have holes, you can find affordable free agents that have already adjusted to the NFL game to fill those voids. IMO, that is how you maintain a talented roster.

I think if you start chasing need over talent, you never stop chasing that need and unless you get a perfect storm each pick, you will diminish the talent of your team over time.