PDA

View Full Version : Uncertainty swirls around Steelers’ plans for offensive line

stillers4me
01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Left tackle Max Starks didn‘t miss an offensive snap, right guard Ramon Foster missed very few. In a season of instability for the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)‘ offensive line, those two were the most reliable components.

In the ever-shifting world that is the Steelers‘ line, that probably means neither one is likely to be around next season.

The Steelers went through three right tackles, multiple left and right guards and game-to-game and, sometimes, play-to-play uncertainty along an offensive line that was challenged before the season by management and coaches alike to keep Ben Roethlisberger healthy and the running game going.

Neither happened...............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3281763-74/season-steelers-offensive#ixzz2HziTt849

zulater
01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I think they'll keep Colon and give him a shot to win the left guard spot again.

ALLD
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Colon is too injury prone. Send him to Cleveland.

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
since itll do so little to cut colon, he's invaluable to our team right now. we dont want to see legursky out at guard do we? :lol:

Craic
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
since itll do so little to cut colon, he's invaluable to our team right now. we dont want to see legursky out at guard do we? :lol:

I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it.

I think Colon can fill in at four different positions along this line. It'd be foolish to cut him, especially if we get no cap space on account of it. If I was management, I'd set him aside and tell him that we're going with the youth movement, and he'll be the number one backup going into camp and hopefully, the season and moreover, we're hoping that he'll take the Jermone Bettis/Hines Ward roll of mentor for the newer guys. Matter of fact by doing that, there's a good chance we'll extend the contract further.

At this point in his career, he's still young (just turning thirty this year) but he's playing with an old body. I think it'd be a brilliant way to keep him around and also help our line get a lot better, without worrying about falling off when someone gets hurt.

Count Steeler
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
I think they'll keep Colon and give him a shot to win the left guard spot again.

Yeah, pretty much. Again, because of cap issues, it is cheaper to keep Colon than to cut him. Try to get him to lose 15-20 lbs and that might make a difference. It will be interesting to see what conclusions get drawn from the research into our injuries. I am getting sick of seeing a different line almost every game we play. We were at our best when we had the same 5 guys for almost 4 straight games. Our running game started to gel, Ben was getting protection and things looked rosy in Steeler land. Then the injuries started creeping in and whamo. Here we sit in Jan instead of going for #7.

steelreserve
01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
We probably can't afford to keep Starks and Foster, and we can't afford to cut Colon. So the picture looks pretty clear-cut to me.

zulater
01-15-2013, 04:00 AM
We probably can't afford to keep Starks and Foster, and we can't afford to cut Colon. So the picture looks pretty clear-cut to me.

I guess it depends on the market for Starks and Foster relative to their desire to stay. It wouldn't surprise me if they managed to keep one or the other, but certainly not both.

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
if i have to choose between foster and starks, i go foster for the sake of the long term investment. we have no idea how adams or gilbert (whoever is the next man up at LT) is going to do in his place, but the day was coming soon when one of them would have to take over so we might as well let it happen now. foster at the very least will be a good starter for us at LG, or a very very good backup if colon keeps his job there. without foster our top backup at guard is legursky. hell no do we want to see that. Heck, id even keep legursky over starks so that we have a good backup center for the long term.

Hawkman
01-15-2013, 10:15 PM
First thing that has to happen, is to hire a new OL coach and make sure we have an OC.