PDA

View Full Version : Question on OLBs and hybrid DEs

Steeldude
01-14-2013, 01:43 PM
If we draft a player to fill the position of OLB, do you prefer a player who played OLB in college or do you prefer drafting a DE to play the position?

NJarhead
01-14-2013, 01:45 PM
If we draft a player to fill the position of OLB, do you prefer a player who played OLB in college or do you prefer drafting a DE to play the position?

Kind of a trick question. OLB in college doesn't necessarily cover what fits the Steelers (LeBeau's system). They typically go after DE's and convert them for their pass rushing ability.

Dwinsgames
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Collegiate OLB traditionally are smaller guys than what you want in a 34 def at OLB , some schools do run the 3-4 though but normally you are looking at smaller DE's that can rush the passer , they are used to having to battle a Tackle if need be and quick enough to still drop when called upon ...

NJarhead
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
The real question isn't about finding 3-4 OLB's. It's about finding 3-4 DE's.

Dwinsgames
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
The real question isn't about finding 3-4 OLB's. It's about finding 3-4 DE's.

we need 1 , I am comfortable with Heyward , not so much with Hood and the Beard wont be around forever ....

find a quick powerful DT and he becomes an end in the 3-4

Chidi29
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Depends on the system run in college. Is it an SEC, Georga 3-4 OLB (i.e. Jarvis Jones though we probably won't get him. Just throwing an example out there)? Is he a dominant pass rusher? Or is it a 4-3 and the player is asked to drop more into coverage and run with the TE than blitz?

Obvious issues with taking a DE and converting to OLB. Rushing with your hand up instead of being in the ground, practicing being able to turn your hips and run, etc. Keith Butler has said the biggest obstacle is positioning and being able to set up correctly versus different formations and sets. Can take two years to get a player where he needs to be in that aspect alone. That's why you see a lot of guys their rookie year come in situationally, 3rd down/clear passing situations and then get every down snaps their second year (Woodley, Aldon Smith).

Dwinsgames
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Virginia Tech also runs a 3-4 and many run 3 man fronts in some packages

Aussie_steeler
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
If you want to learn a little bit more about deciphering the code on how to draft a 3-4 OLB I have found this link to be awesome.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

If you can see the merit in this philosophy you will eagerly await the combine results for the DE / OLB crop.

Dwinsgames
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
If you want to learn a little bit more about deciphering the code on how to draft a 3-4 OLB I have found this link to be awesome.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

If you can see the merit in this philosophy you will eagerly await the combine results for the DE / OLB crop.

very good read !

Steeldude
01-15-2013, 10:20 PM
With a DE he will have to learn how to play in space(pass coverage, sealing edge etc...). I would rather have a player who played OLB in college. Preferably an OLB from a 3-4 scheme.