PDA

View Full Version : Steelers turnover deficits

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
The Steelers' defenses have been at or near the top in almost all defensive categories the last few years except turnovers.

If you had to choose the biggest reason why what would it be?

ALLD
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Inefficient and inconsistent, few splash plays and a poor turnover ratio. That's why we are watching instead of playing.

Count Steeler
01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Lack of pressure that actually gets to the quarterback. I know LeBeau seems to love the crossover middle blitz with Foote and Timmons, but I think opposing teams know it is coming and they pick it up very well.

steelreserve
01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Our pass rush sucks ass, which explains both the lack of fumbles and interceptions.

st33lersguy
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Our DBs have hands like Limas Sweed, the pass rush is barely existent, the team doesn't tip passes, and everyone is content just to tackle the ball-carrier as no one ever goes for the football

zulater
01-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Our DBs have hands like Limas Sweed, the pass rush is barely existent, the team doesn't tip passes, and everyone is content just to tackle the ball-carrier as no one ever goes for the football

This!

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
no pass rush, dropped interceptions, not playing superior younger players over veterans that are past their prime, injuries

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Who is more to blame for lack of pressure....LB's or D Line. I realize the D line primarily occupies blockers in a 3-4 but they also need penetration to disrupt.

Pristas
01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
On a play that sealed the game, Ray Lewis commented that his team-mate "saw something" and they switched position to give Peyton yet another look. That resulted in the clinching INT. That sense of seeing plays comes from watching tape.

I wonder if our guys are watching enough tape, or are putting the overtime in to be able to make these types of plays. This could be a culture problem, and that again would be on Tomlin. I'll bet money Belichek has his guys watching more tape than they would care to see. Harbaughs too. Maybe that's the difference in being in the AFC and NFC championship games.

Mojouw
01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
The Steelers have (at least since they have played a zone blitz 3-4) always favored DB's and LB's that can tackle over any other skill. Particularly with the corners and safeties, tackling and keeping the play in front of you is seemingly valued over the ability to go get the ball and make a pick. Schematically the entire concept of the defense is to never gamble in order to make the big play/turnover. It is to keep everything in front of you and force an offense to string together 10+ plays in a row to beat you. I think that leads to personnel that while fundamentally sound, lack play-making ability. Who besides Polamalu in the secondary has demonstrated any ability to find the ball in the air and make a play on it? Maybe Allen?

NJarhead
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Bruce Arians? :lol:

No pass rush and, as mentioned before, our DB's have hands of stone. Ike is a top cover corner, but admittedly, does not have soft hands. Anyway, I contribute most of the lack of turnovers (especially int's) to a lack of a pass rush.