PDA

View Full Version : Overweight and out of shape Steelers?!

zulater
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I just got the most recent issue of Steelers digest in the mail. And one of the things that stands out to me is how many players are alluded to as being overweight or out of shape.

A few examples.

On Willie Colon

"But Colon is too heavy. Torn tendons and knee problems can be a result of too much weight on the body, and Colon has landed on injured reserve 3 straight years with those kind of issues. He is listed at 315 on the roster, and if Colon played at that weight he might end up in the Pro Bowl."

On Marcus Gilbert

.."and while Gilbert has shown some of the qualities neccessary in a starting NFL tackle, he has lacked the consistency and toughness the job ultimately requires. A nice start would be if Gilbert lost some weight and reported to camp in better shape."

On Mike Adams

"This offseason is an important one for Adams, because he needs to get stronger without gaining excess weight."

On Jonathan Dwyer, Jim Wexall states

"A highly drafted running back would also force Jonathan Dwyer to lose some of those 260 pounds."

"Got a chance. He ate it."

Also I've seen many references to Woodley playing about 20 pounds over what he was packing 2-3 seasons ago.

So is this an issue with every team, are the Steelers more or less within the norms. Is is this a reflection of a bigger issue, tracing back to an overall lack of discipline on the team?

Obviously it's easy to point our finger at the strenght and conditioning coach. But is it fair? I can't see him locking the weight room or hot box when one of these guys approaches.

Personally I think this goes to the top. If a player can't reach his playing weight take away his playing time until he does.

fansince'76
01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
90+ percent of all NFL offensive linemen are overweight and are diabetes cases waiting to happen.

Shoes
01-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I just got the most recent issue of Steelers digest in the mail. And one of the things that stands out to me is how many players are alluded to as being overweight or out of shape.

A few examples.

On Willie Colon

"But Colon is too heavy. Torn tendons and knee problems can be a result of too much weight on the body, and Colon has landed on injured reserve 3 straight years with those kind of issues. He is listed at 315 on the roster, and if Colon played at that weight he might end up in the Pro Bowl."

On Marcus Gilbert

.."and while Gilbert has shown some of the qualities neccessary in a starting NFL tackle, he has lacked the consistency and toughness the job ultimately requires. A nice start would be if Gilbert lost some weight and reported to camp in better shape."

On Mike Adams

"This offseason is an important one for Adams, because he needs to get stronger without gaining excess weight."

On Jonathan Dwyer, Jim Wexall states

"A highly drafted running back would also force Jonathan Dwyer to lose some of those 260 pounds."

"Got a chance. He ate it."

Also I've seen many references to Woodley playing about 20 pounds over what he was packing 2-3 seasons ago.

So is this an issue with every team, are the Steelers more or less within the norms. Is is this a reflection of a bigger issue, tracing back to an overall lack of discipline on the team?

Obviously it's easy to point our finger at the strenght and conditioning coach. But is it fair? I can't see him locking the weight room or hot box when one of these guys approaches.

Personally I think this goes to the top. If a player can't reach his playing weight take away his playing time until he does.

There are overweight problems there also! :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I thought several times Dywer would get on a few good runs and ask for a breather which is lack of disipline on his part lose the 20 or so LBS and he wold be a really special player, but does he have it? all the D & o lineman are all over weight for some reason 300 lbs guys are "small". look at hoke & fanaca now they both now retired look like half the men they used to be.

zulater
01-13-2013, 11:38 AM
90+ percent of all NFL offensive linemen are overweight and are diabetes cases waiting to happen.

True. But Dwyer and Woodley aren't o-linemen. And our o-linemen get injured more than any others, so maybe it's a combination of being overweight and not strong enough?

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
regarding our o-line, a huge problem is just the fact that they fall on each other all the time. that shit has got to stop. seems to get pouncey and colon injured the most, and of course we've seen it happen to decastro and others.

ALLD
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I took these pictures of the OL when I visited the Burg. I don't know what the author of the article is referring to.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/63/28/63283bac9f364e3d451df3e8fb340d8d.jpg

http://p90x.iamcanadian.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/michelin-man.jpg

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
regarding our o-line, a huge problem is just the fact that they fall on each other all the time. that shit has got to stop. seems to get pouncey and colon injured the most, and of course we've seen it happen to decastro and others.

I laughed out loud when I read that but it is so true and a bit embarrassing that these big guys get pushed over like rag dolls.

I have seen our linemen stop before the play is completely over and get knocked on their asses way too many times.

NCSteeler
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a team that has had much success and doesn't work as hard as a hungry team. Look at the ravens being shut down right a the crest of the SB for the last few years, that makes you hungry. Just like our runs being denied in the late 90s early 2000s fueled the team , success has left them eating toooo high on the hog. BUT to me much of that can be corrected by the coaches. The success attitude permeating the young/rookie players is purely coaching mistake. These younger guys are learning a bad way to do things from lazy successful veterans and it is starting to stink!

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
I laughed out loud when I read that but it is so true and a bit embarrassing that these big guys get pushed over like rag dolls.

I have seen our linemen stop before the play is completely over and get knocked on their asses way too many times.

Play till the whistle and then play just a little more , if they would follow that simple motto they would be a healthier bunch because of it

zulater
01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
If I were an NFL player I think I would employ a full time cook to make me satisfying meals that weren't overloaded with calories.

Count Steeler
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
There is definitely something wrong in Steeler land. Unfortunately, the new CBA limits the amount of involvement the team can have with the individual players, while training. They need to get to Florida and train with Taylor.

XxKnightxX
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
True. But Dwyer and Woodley aren't o-linemen. And our o-linemen get injured more than any others, so maybe it's a combination of being overweight and not strong enough?

That combination Is called LAZY

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Steeldude
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I thought Woodley was a lean, mean wrecking machine who flew all over the field? In reality Woodley is too heavy and lacks hustle because of it.

Chidi29
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I know Ike Taylor once said that, and I'm sure this applies more to Starks than say Beachum, as long as an o-lineman was under 370, Tomlin didn't care.

I don't think Colon is overweight and slow. Huge asset on pulls. He moves as well for 340 as you can ask for.

But it is an interesting point. I wonder if we're thinking about replacing Garrett Giemont, our strength and conditioning coach.

Shoes
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Sadly, these guys are paid huge amounts of money to be in shape. Dwyer..as a running back is pathetic! I can't understand what one of the youngest players on the team is doing sporting robust innards! It appears Tomlin is slack many things.

Count Steeler
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
The medical charts

As to those medical problems, Art Rooney II is correct in his plans to investigate them further. It's not just been this season, but last season as well, that the team suffered an inordinate number of injuries.

The first place to look would be at the various leg injuries. Do they have more than other teams? If so, how do they alter their approach in training or practices to prevent them?

There is also the matter of the new CBA that limits the time in which players can be supervised in their training during the offseason by coaches or trainers, even when they're working out at the team facility.

"I think that we have to look at as a league where we are with some of the rules in terms of conditioning and how often the players can be in the building and what they can do here," Rooney said. "I'd like to see us have some of that loosened up a little bit. That obviously is not something that is completely in our control.

"In terms of things that are within our control, we have to look at those things and make sure we are doing the best we can. I think the other thing we have to do is to make our players aware that under the rules we are all operating under now, it's more on them to make sure they are performing and doing their offseason conditioning. We only have access to them for nine weeks, which is not that many weeks in the overall scheme of things. I think it is incumbent on the individual players to be more aware of that.

"Most of our players now go to one of these off-site training programs and participate in those things, at least for some part of the offseason. There is a lot that goes into it."

Ike Taylor and, previously, James Farrior were examples of that. Taylor was an iron man, playing 135 consecutive games at cornerback before a hairline fracture of his right ankle knocked him out of the final four games this season. Farrior missed a total of six games in his decade with the Steelers, no more than two in one season. Both trained extremely hard with trainers in the offseason.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-will-be-part-of-rebuilt-offensive-line-670169/#ixzz2HtECkzwM

oneforthetoe
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
If I were an NFL player I think I would employ a full time cook to make me satisfying meals that weren't overloaded with calories.

Someone like this ZU?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4817034292101982&pid=15.1

NCSteeler
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Until the man cuts or benches the over weight guys who don't take off season workouts seriously, they will continue to be fat and lazy.

zulater
01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I thought Woodley was a lean, mean wrecking machine who flew all over the field? In reality Woodley is too heavy and lacks hustle because of it.

True now. But it wasn't when you were saying it 2 years ago.

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Play till the whistle and then play just a little more , if they would follow that simple motto they would be a healthier bunch because of it

Just curious D, how old were you when your coaches taught you that?

In all seriousness I would think good coaches start stressing these fundamentals in grade school.

Craic
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
In the "latest post" list at the bottom, this thread showed up as:

Overweight and out of shape
I thought you all were talking about me! :doh:

zulater
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
In the "latest post" list at the bottom, this thread showed up as:

Overweight and out of shape
I thought you all were talking about me! :doh:

No of course not Preach. If I had meant to do that it would have been prefaced with "Old" as well!

:heh: :wink02:

fansince'76
01-13-2013, 05:52 PM
regarding our o-line, a huge problem is just the fact that they fall on each other all the time. that shit has got to stop.

This. Starting first and foremost with that klutz Gilbert. This is the main reason why I'm not heartbroken to see Kugler leave. Maybe a new OL coach can correct it.

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Just curious D, how old were you when your coaches taught you that?

In all seriousness I would think good coaches start stressing these fundamentals in grade school.

not certain but I think 6 or 7 years old , ( old now so a year here or there is no big deal LOL )

coaches stressed that at every practice , guess that is a lost art ?

Godfather
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
look at hoke & fanaca now they both now retired look like half the men they used to be.

Yep. Mark Stepnoski too. He doesn't even look like he played football...just a normal sized (or a little taller) person.

zulater
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Yep. Mark Stepnoski too. He doesn't even look like he played football...just a normal sized (or a little taller) person.

Do we have an HGH discussion going on now?

Steeldude
01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
True now. But it wasn't when you were saying it 2 years ago.

Looked true to me 2 years ago also. IMO, it's why he was so slow in the beginning of the season. 8 games in he lost the weight. The thing is if Woodley gets a sack then people think he is awesome and in shape.

Woodley has never shown me to be a player who hustles. It's worse with the more weight he carries.

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
not certain but I think 6 or 7 years old , ( old now so a year here or there is no big deal LOL )

coaches stressed that at every practice , guess that is a lost art ?

Seems like it sometimes.

I bet you were a holy terror at that age. :chuckle:

I think even at the pro level it is important to spend time on the basics...or at least as a good coach keep a close eye on them and point them out when players slip. Baseball is a good example too. You can have a pro baseball player get in a batting slump simply because they forget / change something because they didn't spend any time practicing the basics because they thought they "had it down." Same thing with receivers who start dropping the ball.

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Seems like it sometimes.

I bet you were a holy terror at that age. :chuckle:

I think even at the pro level it is important to spend time on the basics...or at least as a good coach keep a close eye on them and point them out when players slip. Baseball is a good example too. You can have a pro baseball player get in a batting slump simply because they forget / change something because they didn't spend any time practicing the basics because they thought they "had it down." Same thing with receivers who start dropping the ball.

you are probably right , people are different I guess , some got it while others need to be constantly reminded of the simplest of tasks .. I notice that more as I age it seems the younger generation ( at least the ones I am exposed to ) always need a fire built under their asses to get motivated to do anything that is not on " their agenda " oh I forgot , oh you meant right now ? I will get to it , blah blah blah ... when I was a kid if an adult spoke you listened ( it did not matter if it was your Dad or the neighbors dad ) you did it out of respect ( and knowing if you did not listen your ass was on the line when your dad did find out and he would find out ) Coaches where an authority figure that you not only looked up to but they instilled a certain amount of fear into you and you took what they said to heart ...

My old football coach would tell you as an individual just once , any time after that you where never sure if YOU would suffer directly or indirectly ...

he had a philosophy that I never quite understood as a youngster but as I aged you understood exactly what he was doing and why ...

if he taught you something you carried it with you for life because if he had to say it again you ran laps , if he said it again after that you sat on the bench taking a break while the rest of the squad ran laps ......

Nobody wanted the entire team to run because of them , nobody wanted 30 other guys pissed off at them all at the same time no matter how tough they where ( or thought they where ) ...

Today I honestly do not know how coaches coach at all , society has changed to the point you are barely able to parent your child as you see fit , not sure how coaches get through to kids their own parents are unable to discipline as they see fit ....

when I was a kid teachers used to paddle you when you misbehaved in the class room , My oldest son Graduated a half dozen years ago and had a few of the teachers that had paddled me in the past those same teachers are now preaching to their class's that if your parent hits you that you can have them arrested .... just do not understand the direction things are going .... baffling ( wow sorry I got so off topic )

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
you are probably right , people are different I guess , some got it while others need to be constantly reminded of the simplest of tasks .. I notice that more as I age it seems the younger generation ( at least the ones I am exposed to ) always need a fire built under their asses to get motivated to do anything that is not on " their agenda " oh I forgot , oh you meant right now ? I will get to it , blah blah blah ... when I was a kid if an adult spoke you listened ( it did not matter if it was your Dad or the neighbors dad ) you did it out of respect ( and knowing if you did not listen your ass was on the line when your dad did find out and he would find out ) Coaches where an authority figure that you not only looked up to but they instilled a certain amount of fear into you and you took what they said to heart ...

My old football coach would tell you as an individual just once , any time after that you where never sure if YOU would suffer directly or indirectly ...

he had a philosophy that I never quite understood as a youngster but as I aged you understood exactly what he was doing and why ...

if he taught you something you carried it with you for life because if he had to say it again you ran laps , if he said it again after that you sat on the bench taking a break while the rest of the squad ran laps ......

Nobody wanted the entire team to run because of them , nobody wanted 30 other guys pissed off at them all at the same time no matter how tough they where ( or thought they where ) ...

Today I honestly do not know how coaches coach at all , society has changed to the point you are barely able to parent your child as you see fit , not sure how coaches get through to kids their own parents are unable to discipline as they see fit ....

when I was a kid teachers used to paddle you when you misbehaved in the class room , My oldest son Graduated a half dozen years ago and had a few of the teachers that had paddled me in the past those same teachers are now preaching to their class's that if your parent hits you that you can have them arrested .... just do not understand the direction things are going .... baffling ( wow sorry I got so off topic )

It's all good. That's why we are here.

My oldest son Graduated a half dozen years ago and had a few of the teachers that had paddled me in the past those same teachers are now preaching to their class's that if your parent hits you that you can have them arrested .... just do not understand the direction things are going .... baffling

My parents lived through WWII and the depression....I know what tough love is.

Though lost, it is part of the fabric that made this country the greatest in the history of the world.

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
It's all good. That's why we are here.

My parents lived through WWII and the depression....I know what tough love is.

Though lost, it is part of the fabric that made this country the greatest in the history of the world.

isn't that the truth ........

to many Dr. Phils and not enough Lucas McCain ( Chuck Connors character on the rifleman ) you may remember the show from the 60s

katmandu
01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
look at hoke & fanaca now they both now retired look like half the men they used to be.Look where ? Post up some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

to many Dr. Phils and not enough Lucas McCain ( Chuck Connors character on the rifleman ) you may remember the show from the 60s Too many co-dependent parents enabling their grown kids to live in their basements and play video games all day.

HollywoodSteel
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Look where ? Post up some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Too many co-dependent parents enabling their grown kids to live in their basements and play video games all day.

You won't find that kind of crap going on here in L.A. We don't have basements.

Craic
01-14-2013, 11:04 PM
No of course not Preach. If I had meant to do that it would have been prefaced with "Old" as well!

:heh: :wink02:

:buttkick: :chuckle: