PDA

View Full Version : Benson will not be suspended

CantStop85
07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Just thought I'd continue the trend here:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will not suspend Bengals running back Cedric Benson for his role in a June altercation in Texas.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Benson grateful to Brown, Goodell for hearing his side with no suspension
By GEOFF HOBSON
Posted 22 minutes ago

GEORGETOWN, Ky. _ When Bengals running back Cedric Benson sat down with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after his arrest on an assault charge, Goodell took Benson by surprise and told him to map out his NFL experiences.

“I never met him before and I think he just wanted to get to know me,” Benson said. “They had a list of the encounters I had on paper and instead of formulating an opinion based on paper, they took the initiative. What’s all on paper is negative. Of course, he could have done the opposite and I really appreciate that.”

Before practice Friday afternoon here at Georgetown College, Benson indicated Goodell wouldn’t suspend him, a report that later surfaced on ESPN. He wasn’t too surprised, considering he felt he was in the right and his head coach had already told the world he had been jumped and sucker-punched.

Plus the fact that it was Benson that called the police that night in an Austin, Texas bar. And for his troubles he ended up wondering if his career had been blown up again. But when the Bengals ended up coming to his defense, he was relieved and he feels that puts the exclamation point on the journey he explained to Goodell in his New York office.

“He’s got my back,” said Benson of Bengals president Mike Brown. “When I got arrested, I was nervous. I thought I was going to get the same kind of reaction from this team that I got in Chicago. I was just amazed at how different it was. They took the time to look into the facts. Just took more of an initiative. We’re not just invested for what the type of player you are. What you can give us on the football field? But, we are invested in you as a person. That’s the impression I got. You can’t ask for more than that.”

Benson had a rough go in Chicago as the Bears’ fourth pick in 2005 and it ended when he was arrested on two alcohol-related charges in the spring of ’08. But the circumstances were so shaky that a Texas grand jury didn’t indict him. Benson told Goodell just how different it is with the Bengals.

“I explained to him a little bit of my situation in Chicago,” Benson said. “And how when I first got there they weren’t really welcoming and some of the players felt they shouldn’t draft me. I was kind of expressing how it’s night and day. Not only from the staff and (management), but the players as well between here and Chicago.”

Benson, in the last year of his deal, has made no bones about wanting to return to the Bengals. Especially now. He was made aware of Brown’s comments earlier this week in which Brown praised Benson for how he had carried himself here since he signed early in the 2008 season.

“It makes you feel at home,” Benson said. “It makes you feel good about what you’re doing here, working in this town, working for an owner like Mike. It makes you feel good. It brings out the best in you truly.”

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Ok none of the dumbass trio (Vick, Young, Benson) getting suspensions??? Goodell has absolutely no consistency whatsoever when it comes to punishing athletes fairly.

salamander
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Dear Mr. Goodell:

:upyours::upyours::upyours::upyours:

Yours truly,
Steeler Nation.

The Duke
07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Double Standard Mr Goodell, double standard

He better watch out at Latrobe, just saying....

Texasteel
07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I believe I have made my opinion of Goodell clear in the past. It's nice of him to keep proving my point though.

st33lersguy
07-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I ask every steeler fan who sees Roger Goodell on august 5th (or anywhere for that matter) to boo him as hard as possible. Make sure he pays in some ways for his corruption

BigNastyDefense
07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Roger Goodell is a jackass who is making a mockery of his own policy.

kmsteelerwr15
07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I ask every steeler fan who sees Roger Goodell on august 5th (or anywhere for that matter) to boo him as hard as possible. Make sure he pays in some ways for his corruption

No, Mr. Rooney needs to make him the honorary QB for that day in a full contact scrimmage. And of course there need to be many lookout blocks.

CanadianSteel
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Part of the problem IMO is the Rooneys seem to be on side with this jackass.
How come they dont speak out about things like this as their words carry lots of weight in the NFL.
I also think they were in on this suspension, and possibly asked Ben that he not fight it. No facts just my opinion....

How does he rightfully suspend Ben for coduct detremental to the leaugue but not these other ass-clowns.

Galax Steeler
07-31-2010, 04:47 AM
It makes no sense what so ever how can you not suspend players that should be. I think Goodell is being bias here I wish we could get him into some pads and let him practice with the Steelers.

SMR
08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
No, Mr. Rooney needs to make him the honorary QB for that day in a full contact scrimmage. And of course there need to be many lookout blocks.

Sounds great to me.

vasteeler
08-01-2010, 09:33 AM
if i were goodell i wouldnt come close to pittsburgh

SMR
08-01-2010, 10:14 AM
if i were goodell i wouldnt come close to pittsburgh

A good tidbit of wisdom.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think anyone would have given it a second thought had there been any consistancy is delving out of punishments. Right now, it just looks like he had it out for Ben.

If they are smart, the will get the commish in and out of Latrobe before the fans are let in.