PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Brown

Galax Steeler
01-10-2013, 05:05 AM
I saw a mock of us getting him what do you guys think.

Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

In last week's mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to pick up Manti Te'o. This week doesn't reward them with Te'o, but they may have a better NFL linebacker in Arthur Brown.

If you haven't seen Brown play yet, do yourself a favor and at least YouTube clips of the Kansas State inside linebacker. Wearing No. 4, Brown has been a wrecking ball for the defense, showing off rare speed moving laterally and great vision to locate and get to the football.

Brown won't enter the league with the hype of Manti Te'o, but he's a more athletic option at inside linebacker. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, that's not a bad thing. Put Brown next to Lawrence Timmons at middle linebacker, and you have a duo to rival the one in San Francisco.

Steeltreal
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Mack, Mike, Buck, I still dont understand the terminology, but Timmons strentgh is playing run and getting after the QB, Brown is pretty similar wouldnt be a good pick because of Timmons contract/ same position

Dwinsgames
01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I like Brown , have him on my list but if I am honest I think he projects better as a 4-3 OLB that could potentially play inside in the 3-4 but feel his more natural spot is outside in a 4-3 ...

I am however not as concerned as steelreal is on his similarities to Timmons mainly because I do not see them as that similar , Brown ( older brother to Bryce the eagles rb ) is not nearly as quick or fast as Timmons but plays with suddenness ( if that makes sense to you ) he does have sideline to sideline ability and plays with a high motor ...for me he is more of a Daryl Washington ( TCU a few years back now with the Cards ) than a Lawrence Timmons .... Brown has 3 career sacks I believe and just 6 Pass's defended ... he is a Transfer from Linebacker U and had to sit out a year once at K-state ...

I however like Nico Johnson and Bruce Taylor a little better and feel they both offer better value based on where they are projected to go ... Brown is a likely a first round guy whereas Johnson is more likely 2nd rounder and Bruce Taylor even as late as round 4 or 5 are more prototype ILB in the 3-4 ( for me anyways its all subjective until they do it at the next level ) again I like Brown am just not sold on him mostly based on value

Steeltreal
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Suddenness is a big thing around here, as is Glide.

ALLD
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
The dude has been around since the 60s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmVM6rfTKk

43Hitman
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Suddenness is a big thing around here, as is Glide.

:chuckle:

fansince'76
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
The dude has been around since the 60s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmVM6rfTKk

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this. :lol:

tube517
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this. :lol:

ALLD beat me to it. :rofl2:

Chidi29
01-10-2013, 05:23 PM
If anyone is interested in watching a game of him. I haven't taken a look at him myself yet. Focusing on O-line and QBs right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgGH8AnpuQ&list=PLD11BA2EDA0F452DE&index=19

Dwinsgames
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Brown is #4 for those who are trying to find him ( this was not one of his better games IMO ) and again I do not see the value of a 1st round pick in him when you can get as good a player IMO later that more fits the needs / style of this team ( again just my opinion )

fansince'76
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
ALLD beat me to it. :rofl2:

"You've Entered The Crazy World of Arthur Brown!" WOULD look pretty cool on a Heinz Field stadium sign though, wouldn't it? :chuckle:

tube517
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
"You've Entered The Crazy World of Arthur Brown!" WOULD look pretty cool on a Heinz Field stadium sign though, wouldn't it? :chuckle:

Yeah, similar to Franco's Italian Army, Banaszak Bunch, and stuff like that. :heh:

Dwinsgames
01-10-2013, 06:46 PM
looks like Browns stock has fallen to a 2nd round guy , even so I still rather have Nico

LLT
01-11-2013, 01:18 AM
I like Brown as a player...but not as an ILB in the 3-4 scheme. I think the comparison that we should be making is not Brown to Timmons...but rather Brown to Spence. Spence was 5'11 228 lbs...Brown is 6'1 231. Both are athletic ...fast Linebackers. I think that Brown and Spence neither possess the strength/size to shed blocks in the middle of the defense,

As I have said before...I think that Spence was drafted to work as the extra LB on passing downs....technically the spot that Troy often plays. Drafting Brown as an everydown linebacker would be a waste (IMO) ...and as a passing down linebacker, the pick would be redundant.

I think we need to be looking at those inside Linebackers with a little more size and functional strength

Steeltreal
02-11-2013, 09:17 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42512/325/linebacker-tiers
Tier One

Arthur Brown, Kansas State – Plug and play at Middle Linebacker or Weakside Linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Also projects to the weak inside spot in a 3-4. Excellent stack-and-shed, recognition, strength, form tackling, closing speed, and change-of-direction ability.

Tier Two

Khaseem Greene, Rutgers – Former safety who has developed and progressed into an excellent run-and-hit weakside linebacker. Covers backs with ease and fluidly drops into zone coverage. Hits pack a punch. Great at reading and diagnosing to get clean run-throughs and beating blockers to the spot.

DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina – Big, rangy outside linebacker (who has also played a lot of safety in his career) that can play up on the line as a strongside linebacker in a 4-3 or 3-4 or as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Outstanding coverage and ball skills. Covers a lot of ground quickly. Not much of a pass rusher, but works well against inline tight ends. Technically sound at block deconstruction and never lets hands into his chest. Flew under the radar on a defense with many more high profile defenders, but was a major glue guy for South Carolina.

Michael Mauti, Penn State – Suffered a third major knee injury that will likely drop his stock. Excellent key-and-diagnose 4-3 weakside linebacker who could also play the middle linebacker spot (or weak inside spot in a 3-4). Fluid hips, re-directs effortlessly to pick up running backs in coverage. Rarely fooled, excellent at reading his keys. Might not check out medically at the combine.

Kevin Minter, LSU – Well-rounded middle linebacker who projects to that spot in a 4-3 or strong inside linebacker in a 3-4. Excellent working in a phone booth from tackle-to-tackle and has some closing speed to chase to the sideline. At his best moving forward. Can turn his hips to drop deep in zone, but doesn’t break down and change direction in space well. Protected with a lot of Robber coverage at LSU, where he could read the quarterback’s eyes and break downhill on the ball .Good about not letting blockers into his chest, but his punch lacks pop and he can struggle disengaging, but overall he works his way through traffic very well.

Tier Three

Alec Ogletree, Georgia – The most impressive physical specimen of the linebackers in this class. A 6’2, 240 pound former safety that has true sideline-to-sideline range, the ability to run with tight ends down the seam, and the hips to change direction quickly and break on the ball in zone coverage. Does not use his hands – gets blocked and stays blocked when he can’t beat linemen to the spot. New to the position and somewhat slow making his reads and flowing. Still plays like a safety, will need to be eased into a sub-package coverage role early while he continues to develop as a linebacker. Played as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 in college, but his best fit is as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3, where he can be protected by a 3-tech and have the ball spilled to him in space. His true value (theoretically) will come down the line, when he’ll allow some defense to match joke tight ends and detached running back/slot combos without having to sub in an extra defensive back.

Sio Moore, Connecticut – Undersized, speedy linebacker who plays both the strong and weak spots and has a knack for taking the quarterback down. Has aggressive, quick hands and keeps his chest clean, holds his ground, and disengages against inline tight ends when lined up on the line of scrimmage. Apexes with slot receivers often and is comfortable playing in space. Lines up with his hand in the dirt on occasion, but he’s more of a blitzer than a true edge rusher, where he can time his rush up and get a free run on the quarterback. He is capable of winning on the edge with a speed rush and dipping around the corner, but he is just as prone as getting completely engulfed by a lineman or washed out by a runningback. When playing off the line of scrimmage, he reads his keys well and beats blockers to the spot. His flexibility and leverage allow him to scrape underneath blocks easily in pursuit. At his most comfortable moving forward, but there is untapped potential as a coverage player.

Manti Te’o, Notre Dame – Excellent key-and-diagnose middle linebacker whose game has improved every year. Above average size/speed combination and is athletic enough to play all three downs, and has shown he can make plays in coverage, although he’s at his best moving forward. Tends to race into the backfield out of control and lunge at runners.

Zaviar Gooden, Missouri – Plays both strong and weakside linebacker for Missouri, but projects to a 4-3 weakside linebacker who will primarily come in for sub packages and pass situations. Former safety with elite straightline speed and closing burst. Doesn’t have the most fluid hips, but gets deep in zones quickly and clicks-and-closes on the ball in a flash. Tackles well in space, making an effort to wrap up. Will attack blockers aggressively when he gets a clear picture, but can be hesitant filling and doesn’t explode through clear windows – can get caught false-stepping.

Tier Four

Kiko Alonso, Oregon – Athletic specimen with great closing burst, change-of-direction, and overall hip flexibility. Used extensively as an inside blitzer, knows how to get skinny through creases. Played as an inside linebacker in a 3-4, but (similar to Ogletree) projects best as a 4-3 weakside linebacker, where he can get clear run-throughs or have the ball spilled to him in space. Generally beats blockers to the spot, but block deconstruction and hand use could improve. Gets tunnel vision into the backfield. Can get caught false-stepping and takes bad pursuit angles to the ball.

Nico Johnson, Alabama – A sledgehammer in the middle whose playing time this year got taken away by talented underclassmen. Two-down linebacker for Alabama who excels against the run. Stuffs lead blockers in the hole, rarely loses ground, and doesn’t let blockers into his chest. Takes good angles to the ball, doesn’t overrun plays, and trusts his eyes. Upright, heavy-legged player who struggles to turn his hips and move backwards. Plays at one speed and lacks a closing burst to the sideline, but his good pursuit angles generally keep him from getting out-flanked.

Kevin Reddick, North Carolina – Middle linebacker for North Carolina who projects to a strong inside linebacker in a 3-4, similar to Brandon Spikes. Good at working his way through traffic inside. Excellent at diagnosing plays, understands angles and how to get to the ball. Able to cover tight ends and crossers in short zones, but struggles in space overall. Used more as a blitzer and edge rusher in his senior season (similar to Spikes at Florida), but is at his best playing the run between the tackles.

Tier Five

Sean Porter, Texas A&M – High cut linebacker with short arms. Slippery blitzer who started his career as a 3-4 outside linebacker before moving to the 4-3 weakside spot, where he projects best to the NFL. Improved greatly in zone coverage and in matching up with tight ends and backs. Lacks strength overall and his punch lacks pop and needs to get stronger, but has the athleticism to develop into a starting NFL linebacker.

Keith Pough, Howard – Athletic, rangy small-school linebacker with long arms. Primarily plays on the line of scrimmage as a weakside linebacker. Struggles to disengage at the point of attack, and most of his plays and tackles come from chasing down the ball from the backside. Has NFL movement skills, a good closing burst, and potential as a coverage linebacker. Probably fits best as a true weakside linebacker off the line of scrimmage. Not a sound or physical tackler and has a tendency to lunge and drag down. Should contribute on special teams while developing.

Gerald Hodges, Penn State – Mostly plays out in space as an apexed linebacker, almost like a nickelback. Doesn’t have the quickest feet, but has fluid hips and changes direction smoothly. Disciplined in zone coverage and doesn’t chase. Doesn’t use his hands well and struggles disengaging.

Dont really agree here

LLT
02-12-2013, 02:27 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42512/325/linebacker-tiers
Tier One

Arthur Brown, Kansas State – Plug and play at Middle Linebacker or Weakside Linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Also projects to the weak inside spot in a 3-4. Excellent stack-and-shed, recognition, strength, form tackling, closing speed, and change-of-direction ability.

Tier Two

Khaseem Greene, Rutgers – Former safety who has developed and progressed into an excellent run-and-hit weakside linebacker. Covers backs with ease and fluidly drops into zone coverage. Hits pack a punch. Great at reading and diagnosing to get clean run-throughs and beating blockers to the spot.

DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina – Big, rangy outside linebacker (who has also played a lot of safety in his career) that can play up on the line as a strongside linebacker in a 4-3 or 3-4 or as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Outstanding coverage and ball skills. Covers a lot of ground quickly. Not much of a pass rusher, but works well against inline tight ends. Technically sound at block deconstruction and never lets hands into his chest. Flew under the radar on a defense with many more high profile defenders, but was a major glue guy for South Carolina.

Dont really agree here

I'd say not. On which planet is DeVonte Holloman and Khaseem Greene better linebackers than Alec Ogletree?

Texasteel
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I'd say not. On which planet is DeVonte Holloman and Khaseem Greene better linebackers than Alec Ogletree?

Pough fifth tier? Johnson fourth tier? Two first or early second round picks in the third tier? I agree with the rest on you. I wouldn't pay much attection to this.