PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs make rookie Berry highest-paid safety in NFL history

polamalubeast
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Aka the deals done!

http://twitter.com/berry1429/status/19924209927

Berry, one of the best ball hawk DB's in the draft, finished his Tennessee career with 245 tackles, 17 passes break up and 14 INT's

***Update***
It's a 6-year, $60 million deal with $34 million guaranteed.

Making him the highest-paid safety in NFL history.

Butch
07-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Good for them a loser organization paying top dollar for someone who hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL. Smart move KC welcome to your place in the basement along with the browns. I hope this comes back to bite them on the ass after they just drove up the price of doing business in the NFL.

fansince'76
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Good for them a loser organization paying top dollar for someone who hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL.

Well, there's a reason pretty much the same teams wind up drafting in the top 5 year after year after year. Hard to win with grossly overpaid blue chip rookies and a shitload of scrubs.

MasterOfPuppets
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
you really can't blame the teams. thats just the price of doing business in the top 10 picks. do you really think the owners are anxious to hand out that much cash ? i blame this squarely on the players union . this is one of the reasons there'll be no football next year.

fansince'76
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
you really can't blame the teams. thats just the price of doing business in the top 10 picks. do you really think the owners are anxious to hand out that much cash ? i blame this squarely on the players union . this is one of the reasons there'll be no football next year.

I'm not really blaming the teams. The rookie salary scale is so out of whack that the bottom feeders have to break the bank on a top 10 pick, which just perpetuates the team's sucktitude if the player busts (which the majority of them seem to do). And for $30+ million guaranteed for nothing more but "blue chip potential," the kid better be a perennial All-Pro and nothing less, or he is a bust.

The Duke
07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm glad the steelers haven't had to pick in the top ten for quite a while. Those contract are ridiculous!

Pouncey's contract (yay he signed!) should be what top ten players get imo

at most....

CantStop85
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not really blaming the teams. The rookie salary scale is so out of whack that the bottom feeders have to break the bank on a top 10 pick, which just perpetuates the team's sucktitude if the player busts (which the majority of them seem to do). And for $30+ million guaranteed for nothing more but "blue chip potential," the kid better be a perennial All-Pro and nothing less, or he is a bust.

Yep...it's better to be perennially mediocre than tank season-after-season in the current NFL. You stockpile about the same amount of talent without being handcuffed to these ridiculous contracts from the top 10 or so picks.

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2010, 02:16 PM
We have the highest paid linebacker all-time (Karlos Dansby), highest paid cornerback all-time (Nnamdhi Asomugha), highest paid kicker all-time (Sebastian janikowski), highest paid safety all-time (Eric Berry), highest paid punter all-time (Shane Lechler), and highest paid PLAYER all-time (Albert Haynseworth)

...in just the last 2 years......

When does the madness stop?

salamander
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
This is why these guys want to get picked high. They know they'll get a shit load of money.

The Duke
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
We have the highest paid linebacker all-time (Karlos Dansby), highest paid cornerback all-time (Nnamdhi Asomugha), highest paid kicker all-time (Sebastian janikowski), highest paid safety all-time (Eric Berry), highest paid punter all-time (Shane Lechler), and highest paid PLAYER all-time (Albert Haynseworth)

I think they'll realize there's a problem when we have the highest paid long snapper ever

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I think they'll realize there's a problem when we have the highest paid long snapper ever

Before we know it, the waterboys will be making 7 figures.

smokin3000gt
07-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Before we know it, the waterboys will be making 7 figures.

I expect to see a National Water Boy Union before long (NWBU). Perhaps one of the players can represent them since they won't be platying any football for a while..

Galax Steeler
07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I guess we will see what he is made of that is a shit load of money for an unproven player in the NFL.

silver & black
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM

stillers4me
07-30-2010, 06:48 PM

2011... in the NFL lockout.