PDA

View Full Version : Free agent focus: S Will Allen

stillers4me
01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
The Steelers head into the offseason with 18 unrestricted free agents and six restricted free agents. We will take a look at each individual player up until free agency starts on March 12.

Name: Will Allen
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/files/2013/01/Will-Allen-PIT-350x3502.jpg

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent
Position: Safety
Height: 6-1
Weight: 200
Experience: 9
Safeties on the current roster: Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ross Ventrone, Robert Golden, Damon Cromartie-Smith
Free agent safeties: Will Allen, Ryan Mundy

2011 season: Allen started his first games for the Steelers since he signed a free-agent contract following the 2009 season, but it wasn’t until Ryan Mundy failed filling in for the injured Troy Polamalu. Allen replaced Mundy heading into a Week 6 game against Tennessee, and played well until Polamalu returned to the starting lineup seven weeks later. Allen put together his best season since he was a full-time starter for Tampa Bay in 2006 as he finished with 34 tackles, three pass defenses and a forced fumble despite playing only seven games. But more important than stats, the veteran provided stability in the back half of the defense to allow free safety Ryan Clark to make plays.
What about this: When Allen took over the strong safety position, the Steelers were ranked 11th overall in run defense. When he headed back to the bench before a Week 14 game against Baltimore, the Steelers were ranked 5th against the run...........

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/01/08/free-agent-focus-s-will-allen/

tube517
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Keep Allen, Bye bye Mundy. However, I know it won't be that simple.

Austin87
01-10-2013, 05:59 AM
They should re-sign this guy. Even though he is old, Allen is a much better player than Mundy. Mundy has been given chance after chance since we drafted him. Time to move on from Mundy. Hopefully Golden works out.

Devilsdancefloor
01-10-2013, 07:21 AM
keeper! He played very well this season and was a huge asset

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2013, 11:23 AM
They should re-sign this guy. Even though he is old, Allen is a much better player than Mundy. Mundy has been given chance after chance since we drafted him. Time to move on from Mundy. Hopefully Golden works out.

I like Golden and think he show his coverage skills as a former CB. I honestly hope we get a good safety in the draft like Matt Elam, Kenny Vacarro, Eric Reid, DJ Swearinger and keep them and Golden on the roster. Allen and Mundy both become expendible then.