PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers keep Max Starks or count on three young tackles in 2013?

stillers4me
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
There's really only one way to go.......
If you are Ben Roethlisberger, would you prefer Starks at left tackle with Mike Adams, Kelvin Beachum and Marcus Gilbert fighting to start at right tackle with the other two as backups? Yes, but the salary cap is reality and so too are the three young tackles. One of them, probably Adams, will have to play left tackle.....

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/733f08e8-36ad-4dfb-8c98-87b044a301c5/

Count Steeler
01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
My preference for next year would be Starks. I don't think we have over payed him for the last 2 seasons. It would be nice to keep that stability on the left side. Perhaps one of the young ones may be ready to start taking some reps later on.

I wonder if Beachum could pick up the left guard position. He has the intelligence and size, not sure if he has the speed though.

SteelerFanInStl
01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
I like Max at LT for at least another year.

steelreserve
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
It all depends how much money he wants/other teams are willing to pay him. If he plays for close to what he's been making the past couple years, i'm all for keeping him. If he's getting offers for $4M a season, I really don't think we can afford that.

Austin87
01-10-2013, 06:13 AM
It would be great if we could keep our group of offensive linemen together.

NJarhead
01-10-2013, 06:52 AM
At the very least, I believe he's earned the chance to compete to start at LT. Who better to mentor the youngins than him. Ben feels better with him there too and he'll likely come on the cheap. Are there any negatives?

Oh yea, and he's one hell of a model American. haha

zulater
01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Right or wrong I'm guessing they'll move on without Max, unless there's no interest around the league for him and they can sign him at close to the veteran minimum. I doubt that will be the case. I think there will be at least one team that will offer Max a few million and an inside track to a starting job.

I heard a good anology from Tunch Ilkin about his last season as a Steeler that relates to this.
In Cowher's first season Tunch was the starting right tackle and did a good job. But the Steelers drafted Leon Searcy as their number 1 draft choice and he sat that entire season learning the ropes. So basically Bill told Tunch as much as we appreciate what you've done we've got to play the kid next year, so if you can find another job in the league, you best do so. Which is what he did moving on the the Packers.

But more to the point what he said was that Searcy would have probably not have been as good as Tunch at the start of the season. And if Tunch was there rather than letting the kid work through things the temptation would be to go back to the established fading veteran.

Same thing applies here. We know both Gilbert and Adams can play at an NFL level. But we also know they will make their share of mistakes. Best to let them work through it and if God willing they can both stay healthy for the entire season we probably will have a couple pretty good young tackles.

I think they'll probably try harder to keep Ramon Foster as the veteran swingman as opposed to Max.

ALLD
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
He is better now than when he played in the Super Bowls.

tube517
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
If Haley goes to Arizona, I'm sure Max will get an offer there. But, Max is Ben's buddy so that may be shot down. :chuckle:

shutdown
01-10-2013, 07:33 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2013, 09:06 PM
We know both Gilbert and Adams can play at an NFL level. But we also know they will make their share of mistakes. Best to let them work through it and if God willing they can both stay healthy for the entire season we probably will have a couple pretty good young tackles.

the bold is the biggest issue , neither have shown the propensity to stay healthy for an 8 game stretch let alone 16 and a playoff run ....

Max was the ONLY O-Lineman to start all 16 games at the same spot in 2012 for this team ....

we Had Gilbert , Adams , Foster and Beachum play RT all the while Big Max quietly performed though 16 starts ...... we had 4 different LG's and 4 different RGs and 2 Centers but just 1 left Tackle ...

its pretty clear to me you have to try and keep Max and I agree you have to try and keep Foster as well in my opinion those may be the two most important FA's on the team as of right now if for no other reason we have such poor luck at keeping linemen healthy and they are both proven starter quality

GBMelBlount
01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
its pretty clear to me you have to try and keep Max and I agree you have to try and keep Foster as well in my opinion those may be the two most important FA's on the team as of right now if for no other reason we have such poor luck at keeping linemen healthy and they are both proven starter quality

I agree.

Our O line has been our achilles tendon the last 5 years due to both shoddy play and injuries.

Shoring up the line (quality and depth) is critical.

Praying we Max and Foster can stay.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
no matter what happens, we'll all be able to say hey, it could be worse. it couldve been johnathan scott out there :lol:

NJarhead
01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Right or wrong I'm guessing they'll move on without Max, unless there's no interest around the league for him and they can sign him at close to the veteran minimum. I doubt that will be the case. I think there will be at least one team that will offer Max a few million and an inside track to a starting job.

I heard a good anology from Tunch Ilkin about his last season as a Steeler that relates to this.
In Cowher's first season Tunch was the starting right tackle and did a good job. But the Steelers drafted Leon Searcy as their number 1 draft choice and he sat that entire season learning the ropes. So basically Bill told Tunch as much as we appreciate what you've done we've got to play the kid next year, so if you can find another job in the league, you best do so. Which is what he did moving on the the Packers.

But more to the point what he said was that Searcy would have probably not have been as good as Tunch at the start of the season. And if Tunch was there rather than letting the kid work through things the temptation would be to go back to the established fading veteran.

Same thing applies here. We know both Gilbert and Adams can play at an NFL level. But we also know they will make their share of mistakes. Best to let them work through it and if God willing they can both stay healthy for the entire season we probably will have a couple pretty good young tackles.

I think they'll probably try harder to keep Ramon Foster as the veteran swingman as opposed to Max.

Speaking of Tunch, I heard his name is being thrown around as a potential replacement for Kugler. Anyone else hearing that?

I think that'd be a good move. I understand that a lot of players still go to him for some technique advice.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Speaking of Tunch, I heard his name is being thrown around as a potential replacement for Kugler. Anyone else hearing that?

I think that'd be a good move. I understand that a lot of players still go to him for some technique advice.

I have heard of it rumored , as to whether it has any legs or not I couldn't tell you

zulater
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM

What I've heard is that Kugler wants to hire Tunch to the staff he's building at UTEP.

I think that's more likely to happen than the Steelers hiring him.

NJarhead
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
What I've heard is that Kugler wants to hire Tunch to the staff he's building at UTEP.

I think that's more likely to happen than the Steelers hiring him.

:doh: I'm sorry I asked. haha

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM

wtf! that is lame as hell. do you have a link on this

zulater
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
wtf! that is lame as hell. do you have a link on this

No link. Just speculation I've heard from none other than Craig Wolfley. :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2013, 10:48 PM
oh haha. that wouldve pissed me off like nobody's business. tunch going to utep of all places instead of pittsburgh..

zulater
01-13-2013, 06:29 AM
oh haha. that wouldve pissed me off like nobody's business. tunch going to utep of all places instead of pittsburgh..

If the Steelers don't offer him a position and if Kugler does why it would it bother you?

The Steelers have a history of ignoring what's in their back yard. In their mind ( Steelers and just guessing here) Tunch is a media guy, not a coach, and in their players minds that's also the case as Tunch has a longstanding high profile in that capacity in Pittsburgh.

So it probably wouldn't work in Pittsburgh with NFL players. But with college kids who most likely have never heard Tunch on the radio or seen him on TV he would come across strictly as an ex NFL lineman who played many years in the league. So I'm sure his ability to coach them wouldn't be subverted by preconceptions.

GBMelBlount
01-13-2013, 08:36 AM
If.....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3uymG1jideCW5Xg_CJGllksB4RppF1 IEcrvCGLahJzkhJQEl9wg

- - - Updated - - -

Our 2012 running game reminded me of a show I watched as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw

tube517
01-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon's knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third season in a row was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on, and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

They drafted Kelvin Beachum -- their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year -- to play guard, even though he started at tackle for all 52 games of his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started the final five games and did a nice job. It helped to convince them he can start at guard.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-will-be-part-of-rebuilt-offensive-line-670169/#ixzz2Hrz2nVHO

Douchette's projected lineup:

LT Gilbert
LG Beachum
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Adams

zulater
01-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-will-be-part-of-rebuilt-offensive-line-670169/#ixzz2Hrz2nVHO

LT Gilbert
LG Beachum
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Adams

I'm glad to see him have Adams projected at right tackle.

Honestly though I still think Colon will be the starting left guard to start next season.

zulater
01-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Jim Wexall agrees with you.

Here's what he said in the most recent issue of Steelers Digest.

"I couldn't name you one available and experienced offensive line coach, so take what I say with a grain of salt: But hire tunch Ilkin. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Just knowing Tunch the media mogul I can see he would be a patient yet firm teacher. And from what he has said on the air, I know he would do his best to get them to lose weight. He'd also have them firing off the ball instead of running all of that zone stuff. And from his background, you know he could teach Mike Adams how to use his hands."

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

LT Gilbert
LG Beachum
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Adams

omg. hope beachum doesnt start at LG. that whole left side of the O-line is going to be slow as hell

tube517
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
omg. hope beachum doesnt start at LG. that whole left side of the O-line is going to be slow as hell

Not to mention Gilbert may trip and take out Beachum

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk HD

Mojouw
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Uggghhhh. When will this team learn that having the 5 fattest guys on the field is not a requirement for an o-line. They need to be able to move their feet.

I'm for any line coach, any at all, who comes in and burns any plays with the words "zone block" in them. This team simply lacks the players to run that. I bet DeCastro and Pouncey move well enough to do it and that's about it. Just simplify it to something close to one large man blocking the other large man in front of him.

Also this team will release Starks and will regret it.

katmandu
01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
the bold is the biggest issue , neither have shown the propensity to stay healthy for an 8 game stretch let alone 16 and a playoff run ....This always crack me up when I see this about players staying "healthy". Like they had a choice in the matter of getting injured.

Have you ever driven in super heavy traffic on ice roads during a snow storm ? How much control of YOUR situation do you have if someone plows into you from behind ?

NONE! You have NO control how things play out in the middle of the O/L during the heat of battle either. It is PURE LUCK if you get injured or not. PURE LUCK.

That's why I feel bad for some of these lineman.... especially Colon the last few years. He just got the shittt end of the stick IMHO.

katmandu
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Did anyone else see David Letterman on that Gong Show clip ???

Our 2012 running game reminded me of a show I watched as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
This always crack me up when I see this about players staying "healthy". Like they had a choice in the matter of getting injured.

Have you ever driven in super heavy traffic on ice roads during a snow storm ? How much control of YOUR situation do you have if someone plows into you from behind ?

NONE! You have NO control how things play out in the middle of the O/L during the heat of battle either. It is PURE LUCK if you get injured or not. PURE LUCK.

That's why I feel bad for some of these lineman.... especially Colon the last few years. He just got the shittt end of the stick IMHO.

getting/not getting injured is only SOME luck. for one thing, our O-line's consistent tendency to fall all the time is a disturbing trend that doesnt have much to do with luck. that particular stuff is just a matter of not finishing plays due to whatever reasons: lack of effort, lack of conditioning, lack of one of the numerous aspects it takes to be a good NFL lineman, stuff like that. again, that shit NEEDS TO STOP. our O-line could probably stay marginally healthy if our lineman dont let themselves get pushed around like puscakes

katmandu
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
getting/not getting injured is only SOME luck. for one thing, our O-line's consistent tendency to fall all the time is a disturbing trend that doesnt have much to do with luck. that particular stuff is just a matter of not finishing plays due to whatever reasons: lack of effort, lack of conditioning, lack of one of the numerous aspects it takes to be a good NFL lineman, stuff like that. again, that shit NEEDS TO STOP. our O-line could probably stay marginally healthy if our lineman dont let themselves get pushed around like puscakesGood point.

GBMelBlount
01-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Not to mention Gilbert may trip and take out Beachum

Whoulda thunk the main reason we would need quicker linemen is to avoid being injured by our own players.