PDA

View Full Version : Age continues to stalk Steelers' defensive line

stillers4me
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
For the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/), it‘s not that they‘re growing old gracefully on the defensive line. It‘s more like they‘re growing young grudgingly.

Nose tackle Steve McLendon, now 27, and defensive end Cam Heyward, who will be 24 in May, graded out as two of the better players on the NFL‘s No. 1-ranked defense.

But both were on the field for only a fraction of the overall defensive snaps, and that could be a signal of trouble as the Steelers begin preparing for 2013 — a season that could provide some uncommon upheaval on a long-stable defensive line.............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3246072-74/season-steelers-hampton#ixzz2HVz6cgPv

SteelerFanInStl
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Both McClendon and Heyward should be starting next year. It's time to go with the young guys.

salamander
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I know people keep asking why guys like McClendon and Heyward don't see playing time and I wonder if it's because the coaches have too much of an infatuation with the older guys even when they're playing sub par.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
I know people keep asking why guys like McClendon and Heyward don't see playing time and I wonder if it's because the coaches have too much of an infatuation with the older guys even when they're playing sub par.

dont remember who it was, but someone brought up a point a while back that maybe the front office is purposely limiting some of the snaps from the younger talent to minimized their price tags when they get handed their 1st big contract/contract extension. sounds paranoid, but with our cap situation it really doesnt sound all that crazy, especially since the older guys around here have really held the fort together even though they havent been playing as well as some of the younger guys

GBMelBlount
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
“Pittsburgh is an older team, and when you‘re not winning, there‘s not that inspiration to play better,” former Cowboys player personnel; director Gil Brandt said.

I agree. However I think old players who have a few rings tend to play less inspired IN GENERAL.

Austin87
01-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Both McClendon and Heyward should be starting next year. It's time to go with the young guys.

I agree, there is an argument to be made that they should have started this year already.

zulater
01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
The enigmas were two of those young guys: Former first-round draft picks Ziggy Hood and Heyward, both of whom will be entering potentially career-defining seasons in 2013.
Hood, a 2009 first-rounder, will be going into the final season of his rookie-year contract as one of the NFL‘s least-productive players at his position.
Hood was, by far, the league‘s worst-rated pass-rushing defensive end, based on Pro Football Focus‘ every-down grading, yet he was on the field for more than three times as many snaps (833) as Heyward (267).
Their stats were similar: Hood had three sacks and three quarterback hurries; Heyward had 11⁄2 sacks and five hurries. Hood has been in the NFL for four seasons, yet still hasn‘t forced a single fumble.
Hood is one of the Steelers‘ strongest players, yet questions persist among NFL scouts about his down-to-down effort and the frequency with which he disappears for long stretches.
Heyward, a 2011 first-rounder, has only 21⁄2 sacks in two seasons and, at times, seems to watch plays rather than take part in them after he gets moved off the line of scrimmage.
Hood won‘t be playing in 2013 just for a big contract, but a contract, period; Heyward, in his third NFL season, will be trying to establish for the first time that he is an every-snap player.
The Steelers need to find out if it‘s finally their time — or if it‘s time to move on.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3246072-74/season-steelers-hampton#ixzz2HiqdIJdd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Ziggy Hood and Lamarr Woodley would be my MDP*'s from last year.

(*most dissapointing player)

salamander
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
The enigmas were two of those young guys: Former first-round draft picks Ziggy Hood and Heyward, both of whom will be entering potentially career-defining seasons in 2013.
Hood, a 2009 first-rounder, will be going into the final season of his rookie-year contract as one of the NFL‘s least-productive players at his position.
Hood was, by far, the league‘s worst-rated pass-rushing defensive end, based on Pro Football Focus‘ every-down grading, yet he was on the field for more than three times as many snaps (833) as Heyward (267).
Their stats were similar: Hood had three sacks and three quarterback hurries; Heyward had 11⁄2 sacks and five hurries. Hood has been in the NFL for four seasons, yet still hasn‘t forced a single fumble.
Hood is one of the Steelers‘ strongest players, yet questions persist among NFL scouts about his down-to-down effort and the frequency with which he disappears for long stretches.
Heyward, a 2011 first-rounder, has only 21⁄2 sacks in two seasons and, at times, seems to watch plays rather than take part in them after he gets moved off the line of scrimmage.
Hood won‘t be playing in 2013 just for a big contract, but a contract, period; Heyward, in his third NFL season, will be trying to establish for the first time that he is an every-snap player.
The Steelers need to find out if it‘s finally their time — or if it‘s time to move on.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3246072-74/season-steelers-hampton#ixzz2HiqdIJdd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

The more I see stories like that, the more I lose faith in the Steelers' drafts the last couple of seasons.

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Yea, probably mine too. I remember before the season that we were talking in here about how great of shape Ziggy was in. He worked hard in the offseason and was buffed! I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he's just not a 3-4 DE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2013, 11:05 AM
There is enough youth on the D-line. Hood plugs 2 gaps like he should, I dont know what the hate is by fans. Heyward should see more time, but Keisel is still playing really well. McLendon, Ta'amu and now Loni Fangopu are enough beef up front to play NT. Really, both Ta'amu and Fangopu could play NT and the other 4 would be the DE's.

Hindsight being what it is, I wish the Steelers took Billy Wynn instead of Chris Rainey. (I honestly wish they took George Iloka or Juron Criner instead of Rainey)

fansince'76
01-12-2013, 11:37 AM
There is enough youth on the D-line. Hood plugs 2 gaps like he should, I dont know what the hate is by fans.

Me neither. People act like he should rack up sacks like a 4-3 DE. Not gonna happen. And people like Alan Robinson (who quite obviously doesn't understand the role of a 3-4 DE) writing articles like the one above doesn't help either.

zulater
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Me neither. People act like he should rack up sacks like a 4-3 DE. Not gonna happen. And people like Alan Robinson (who quite obviously doesn't understand the role of a 3-4 DE) writing articles like the one above doesn't help either.

I understand the role of a 3-4 DE. And Ziggy came up well short this season.

He's no Aaron Smith. And as a first round pick in what should be his prime years, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could have at least come close to attaining that level of play.

I'll even say this. I think Woodley's fall off in play this season is at least in part attributable to Hood not occupying blockers like a 3-4 DE is supposed to.

I really doubt the Steelers told Ziggy on his exit interview, "good job, keep up the good work." Or at least I hope they didn't.

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
opposing offenses really attacked woodley and ziggy's side and succeeded. especially in the run game

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2013, 02:18 PM
I understand the role of a 3-4 DE. And Ziggy came up well short this season.

He's no Aaron Smith. And as a first round pick in what should be his prime years, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could have at least come close to attaining that level of play.

I'll even say this. I think Woodley's fall off in play this season is at least in part attributable to Hood not occupying blockers like a 3-4 DE is supposed to.

I really doubt the Steelers told Ziggy on his exit interview, "good job, keep up the good work." Or at least I hope they didn't.

Agreed. There isn't anyone here that wanted Ziggy to succeed more than me. I watched him at Mizzou and was excited when we drafted him. Unfortunately he hasn't lived up to expectations of a first round draft pick.