PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Draft Philosophy ...Value plus need

LLT
01-08-2013, 05:05 AM
Continuity...It's a word that the Steelers front office has lived by since 1969. In the 44 years since then we have only had three men who this team has called "coach"....and none of the three were fired.

As patient as we are with Coaches....our draft philosophy shows that we are equally patient with the players. To even be considered, draft prospects have to mesh with the coaches, the scheme, and the other players, The Steelers are consistent in their belief that draft picks should be evaluated on three levels... production, character and dependability.

We will not see the Steelers reach for a player in this draft. Like all teams do, they will draft for need, but only if the value is there. Sometime it might not be obvious to those of us who are not "in the know"....but the scouts are diligent in doing their homework and the front office has no problem with giving players time to develop. Part of their success is Colbert's insistence that all of the coaches having a say in the drafting process.

We all can talk about the scenerio of "trading out" of the first round....but the Steelers have not went without a 1st round pick since 1967. So....start looking at your draft boards and the draft profiles. Look for scouting reports that have "key words" like "High Character"...."Reliable"...."Coachable"

Then look at our team needs in light of this draft philosophy and you may get some idea who the Steelers may go with.

For instance, I believe our top three picks may be Safety, ILB, RB (depending on several occurances) .

A quick draft analysis says that traditionally......RB's should be picked early....ILB's are not usually picked early....and starting safeties can be found throughout the draft. By following this line of thinking, the first three picks might go: 1) RB 2) ILB 3) Safety.

However, based on the Steelers philosophy and the value of each round... I dont think that is the way the draft pans out. There is no RB ranked in the top 40 and outside of Teo, no ILB that deserves a first round grade unless Minter slides in a the end of the round. I think that the best value is:
Round 1) Safety....either Matt Elam or Kenny Vaccaro
Round 2) Linebacker....Either Kevin Minter or Nico Johnson
Round 3) RB...either Montee Ball or Le'Veon Bell.

All these players are great value in the rounds indicated.....and all these players are high character, reliable players... who have been productive and dependable.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Best draft post I have ever read LLT.

You addressed our draft philosophy and our current needs and applied it to the current draft class and presented in the clearest way imaginable.

I may start calling you Cliff (cliff notes)

Hell, you even have me ok with the thought of a running back in the third. Though I really think the running problems are more a result of line issues.

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I agree with GBMel; great post LLT. Now I'm getting even more impatient for the draft to start.

Pristas
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
What do you think the odds are of Colbert making a move for Te'o? I like this kid as a player, I love him as a leader.

Devilsdancefloor
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
great post, perry! i really think we are going safety in the 1st i always get nervous when the steelers pick a RB in the 1st

steelreserve
01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Don't count out WR, probably not in the first round but maybe soon after. Beyond Brown and Sanders, we don't really know what we've got. And I would never, ever be surprised if we took a LB with our #1 or #2 pick.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2013, 10:48 AM
manti te'o had a terrible terrible game last night against the crimson tide. hopefully that, along with a mediocre combine will drop him down to 17, or at least make him slide enough to trade up. im totally dreaming here but i still want him bad

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 10:54 AM
manti te'o had a terrible terrible game last night against the crimson tide. hopefully that, along with a mediocre combine will drop him down to 17, or at least make him slide enough to trade up. im totally dreaming here but i still want him bad

I was thinking, even before last night, that this was a possibility. One mock draft (for whatever that's worth) that I'd looked at, had us taking him @17.

crcsnail
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
LLT nice post . as u might know im a ray graham fan .altough i have only see him a few times. what round do u see him going in? if he is still available do u think the steelers might be interested in him?

Pristas
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd let him tear up a handful of grass coming out of the tunnel at Heinz. ;)

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I'd let him tear up a handful of grass coming out of the tunnel at Heinz. ;)

Doesn't some overhyped, pile-on type, accessory to murder, linebacker in the NFL already do that.....while sporting the "intimidating" color of purple?

Pristas
01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Doesn't some overhyped, pile-on type, accessory to murder, linebacker in the NFL already do that.....while sporting the "intimidating" color of purple?

Maybe, but if we are talking about the same guy, then you have to add; extraordinary team leader, excellent player, extremely long career for the same team - loyal, incredibly durable, and future first ballot Hall of Famer.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I was thinking, even before last night, that this was a possibility. One mock draft (for whatever that's worth) that I'd looked at, had us taking him @17.

wouldnt that be a sight. my only real concern is that he's too big (255lb i believe?), which is bigger than what we've usually had at inside linebacker. but the kid is just too smart and has way too much game speed for it to matter imo. besides, if kirkland can be an all-pro at like 285lb, im sure a linebacker as complete as manti te'o can do it at 255. he doesnt look like he'll have impressive raw speed in a 40 or cone drill, but he reacts so fast to everything. hopefully were the only team that pays attention to the latter.

i also hope the teams drafting before us become overly concerned with some of the mediocre teams that notre dame almost lost to like purdue, pitt, and brigham young

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
wouldnt that be a sight. my only real concern is that he's too big (255lb i believe?), which is bigger than what we've usually had at inside linebacker. but the kid is just too smart and has way too much game speed for it to matter imo. besides, if kirkland can be an all-pro at like 285lb, im sure a linebacker as complete as manti te'o can do it at 255. he doesnt look like he'll have impressive raw speed in a 40 or cone drill, but he reacts so fast to everything. hopefully were the only team that pays attention to the latter.

i also hope the teams drafting before us become overly concerned with some of the mediocre teams that notre dame almost lost to like purdue, pitt, and brigham young

He is bigger, but 225 is way light.

He's 6' 2" 255 lbs.

Farrior was 6' 2" 243
Timmons is 6' 1" 234
Foote is 6' 1" 239

Levon Kirkland was 6' 1" and 275 (allegedly).

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

He's 6' 2" 255 lbs.

Farrior was 6' 2" 243
Timmons is 6' 1" 234
Foote is 6' 1" 239

i said 255, not 225, but right. i was thinking he could probably get his weight down if he had to. doesnt hurt that he has experience playing outside either.

atlsteelers
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
manti teo is the product of the ND hype machine, can the kid take on a blocker or fill a gap or make a tackle? He look so slow that maybe somebody replaced his cleats with concrete blocks. The next time he tackles bo lacy will be the first time. Alec Olgetree is who i want to see playing inside or middle lb for the steelers. Speaking of bo lacy - i would reather see him with the steelers than montee ball.

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
i said 255, not 225, but right. i was thinking he could probably get his weight down if he had to. doesnt hurt that he has experience playing outside either.

*facepalm* I've been experiencing some level of dyslexia lately, sorry.

I actually have no problem with his being heavier in the middle. He can drop his weight when he's 30 and needs to compensate for slowing down. haha

steelreserve
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

He's 6' 2" 255 lbs.

Farrior was 6' 2" 243
Timmons is 6' 1" 234
Foote is 6' 1" 239

Farrior WAS 243 pounds ... maybe 5 or 6 years ago. By his last couple of seasons, he was playing at 215-220. He somehow made it work, I guess.

(insert sarcastic joke about Farrior being effective; rimshot; congratulations, you should do stand-up; now moving on)

Anyway, point is your weight is not all that big a deal; it's that it suits you and the way you play. If you made Kirkland or Woodley 225 pounds, I don't think they would be effective. If you made Farrior or Timmons 265 pounds, they probably wouldn't do well either.

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Farrior WAS 243 pounds ... maybe 5 or 6 years ago. By his last couple of seasons, he was playing at 215-220. He somehow made it work, I guess.

(insert sarcastic joke about Farrior being effective; rimshot; congratulations, you should do stand-up; now moving on)

The point was that the Steelers employed an ILB of that weight.

Anyway, point is your weight is not all that big a deal; it's that it suits you and the way you play. If you made Kirkland or Woodley 225 pounds, I don't think they would be effective. If you made Farrior or Timmons 265 pounds, they probably wouldn't do well either.

Preaching to the choir here my friend.

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe, but if we are talking about the same guy, then you have to add; extraordinary team leader, excellent player, extremely long career for the same team - loyal, incredibly durable, and future first ballot Hall of Famer.

I know he has the reputation as being a great leader, but having been led by great leadership, I'm skeptical if the meaning of that term has been lost.
I will grant him this:
He is very inspirational to his teammates.

....I also love the Madden 13 commercials with him and Paul Rudd.

Shoes
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Always a pleasure reading your stuff, Perry! Thank you!

Mojouw
01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Wanted to add two quick things. One is that typically you can pick the Steelers draft picks off of who they bring in for a visit. I think the next time they pick someone on the first two days that they didn't bring to the facility will be the first in awhile. Second, what about Nico Johnson at ILB? Might be able to snag him a round later than Manti.

slippy
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
mendenhall was not brought in for a visit, FYI.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
manti teo is the product of the ND hype machine, can the kid take on a blocker or fill a gap or make a tackle? He look so slow that maybe somebody replaced his cleats with concrete blocks. The next time he tackles bo lacy will be the first time. Alec Olgetree is who i want to see playing inside or middle lb for the steelers. Speaking of bo lacy - i would reather see him with the steelers than montee ball.

i really like him too. if we had either ogletree or te'o, id like to see them play more as a buck linebacker, but with timmons calling the defense even though he's a mack (until they could really learn the defense)

Pristas
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
mendenhall was not brought in for a visit, FYI.

Yeah, and look where that got 'em. :)

steelerdude15
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
This was an excellent write up Perry. I think that safety is most important position to draft with linebacker being second. If the Steelers drafted a linebacker in the first round, I wouldn't protest it.

LLT
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
What do you think the odds are of Colbert making a move for Te'o? I like this kid as a player, I love him as a leader.

I personal like Teo and would have no problem drafting him if he slid to #17. But as far as trade scenerios....it would potentially cost us a swap of first round picks AND either or 2nd or 3rd round slot.

In clear terms, that means that if, hypothetically, we would have drafted Elam and Nico Johnson with those two picks...The FO would have to determine that Teo's value is greater than the combined value of those two players.

I dont believe it is.

LLT
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
This was an excellent write up Perry. I think that safety is most important position to draft with linebacker being second. If the Steelers drafted a linebacker in the first round, I wouldn't protest it.

I feel the same....and I can forsee a scenerio where we trade down and draft ILB Minter in the latter part of the 1st and look towards Vaccaro in the 2nd round.

Vaccarro is the wild card for me. I think he is a first round talent that will thrive in the NFL....but most sites still have him ranked as a late 2nd rounder. I would wager he moves up the boards to the 30-40 slot before all is said and done, though I hope not, because I would love to draft him at value.

LLT
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
LLT nice post . as u might know im a ray graham fan .altough i have only see him a few times. what round do u see him going in? if he is still available do u think the steelers might be interested in him?

Fair or not....Graham will be evaluated as being undersized and having a history of injuries. That should drop him to a late 3rd to mid 4th round prospect. The good news is that the team that gambles on him is going to end up with one heck of a player.

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
A lot of Cowboys brass admire this team (the Steelers); we got 6 Super Bowls at 1/2 the price as their 5 !!! Now sit down and do the math !!!!!!

steelerdude15
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Fair or not....Graham will be evaluated as being undersized and having a history of injuries. That should drop him to a late 3rd to mid 4th round prospect. The good news is that the team that gambles on him is going to end up with one heck of a player.

As a Pitt fan, I have had the opportunity to watch him the past couple of years and I think he's an excellent running back. As I said in another thread, if it weren't for the injuries, there isn't a doubt in my mind he'd be a first round draft pick. If the Steelers picked up a linebacker in the first, Kenny in the second, and Ray in the third or fourth, I'd be so happy!

LLT
01-09-2013, 02:16 AM
manti teo is the product of the ND hype machine, can the kid take on a blocker or fill a gap or make a tackle? He look so slow that maybe somebody replaced his cleats with concrete blocks. The next time he tackles bo lacy will be the first time. Alec Olgetree is who i want to see playing inside or middle lb for the steelers.....

Thats a long shot. His skill is undeniable but he comes with some red flags on character.

Wanted to add two quick things. One is that typically you can pick the Steelers draft picks off of who they bring in for a visit. I think the next time they pick someone on the first two days that they didn't bring to the facility will be the first in awhile. Second, what about Nico Johnson at ILB? Might be able to snag him a round later than Manti.

Love Nico Johnson and think he is a legitimate possibility in the second round

LLT
01-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Don't count out WR, probably not in the first round but maybe soon after. Beyond Brown and Sanders, we don't really know what we've got. And I would never, ever be surprised if we took a LB with our #1 or #2 pick.

Here is a prospect for you to consider at WR.

I mentioned him in the draft forum....Denard Robinson of Michigan. 5'11 197 lbs....played QB/WR/RB for Michigan and is Michigan's all-time leader in total offense, with 6,250 yards, 49 touchdowns passing TD's and 42 rushing touchdowns. He runs a 4.39 forty (though he is reported to have ran as fast as 4.32) As a QB he has a full understanding of the route tree. he may be available in the 4th round due to be a transitional player

He was reported to have had a DUI...but that was a false report. The only trouble he has ever been in is that he was stopped for driving after his license was suspended. Misdemeanor charge with a $870 dollar fine.

SteelerFanInStl
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I feel the same....and I can forsee a scenerio where we trade down and draft ILB Minter in the latter part of the 1st and look towards Vaccaro in the 2nd round.

Vaccarro is the wild card for me. I think he is a first round talent that will thrive in the NFL....but most sites still have him ranked as a late 2nd rounder. I would wager he moves up the boards to the 30-40 slot before all is said and done, though I hope not, because I would love to draft him at value.
I like Vaccarro too but I'm afraid that he might not be there in the 2nd. The Rams need a safety and I think they'll take him in the 2nd.

atlsteelers
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Thats a long shot. His skill is undeniable but he comes with some red flags on character.

Love Nico Johnson and think he is a legitimate possibility in the second round

Alec's suspension was due to a failed drug test. he has smoked weed, like 50% of the other first round picks so i really do not see it as being to big of a problem. UGA suspends a player after the first poistive test and the offender is then tested more often there after. Unfortunately the AD at uga had all of the athletes (from all sports) tested the monday they got back from spring break last year. olgetree and rambo both got pinched. a friend who is close to the program that says both olgetrees boys are first class kids.

I like olgtree but i would happy with any of the top ILBs.

Texasteel
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I would like to throw another name into the pot. Xavier Rhodes, the CB out of Florida St. I have watched this kid climb the talent chart all year, and think he is one that might be able to play CB or Safty for us. A very physical player.

I think my 1st choice, right now, would be to try an move down in the 1st round maybe 10 spots and grab Vaccaro, pick up another pick. This could alow us to take a gamble in the middle rounds.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I want to see Te'o in some post season evaluations. I have a hard time buying into the Notre Dame hype machine of playing Navy, Pitt, Purdue, Michigan St and a guy looking like an all pro. I have belived that he is more of a Pozluzny or Laurinitis type talent instead of a Patrick Willis or Junior Seau. I think he will be there at #17, as they hype got knocked off in the Bama game.

I've been thinking we need a Safety, pass rush OLB and depending on how Spence rehab is going, then an ILB. Also, I think Wallace is gone and if that is so, we need some WR help.

Possible options are:

1. Mingo
2. Shane Skov
3. Ryan Swope WR- A&M
4dJ Swearinger- S S.Carolina

I like Elam, but not sure if he warrants the #17 pick. I think Eric Reid can be around in the 2nd maybe. Another option is :

1. Te'o
2. Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn
3. Montee Ball