PDA

View Full Version : Are Steelers approaching dynasty*status?

SteelerEmpire
01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
From the ESPN archives... before it all began to head south.

Quote:

"In all things it is better to hope than to despair."
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang Von

-------------

Article:

2/04/11

FORT WORTH, Texas -- In his 50 years of experience with scouting, personnel and eventually media, Gil Brandt has seen all the football dynasties come and go in the NFL.

In Brandt's eyes, this current group of Pittsburgh Steelers can put its name into that elite category with a third championship in six seasons.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37070/are-steelers-approaching-dynasty-status

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0204/nfl_a_bradshaw_sy_576.jpg

Count Steeler
01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I used to think he had a very good shot at it. However, with our past 2 seasons and more impending trouble with the cap, we may have missed the window for Ben. Right now, I don't see us winning the SB next year. We will see where we are after the draft.

fansince'76
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Right now, I don't see us winning the SB next year.

Did anyone see us winning it in '08 against the monster schedule we had that year? If Ben doesn't get injured against KC, we'd still be playing. Bottom line.

We get a third place schedule going into next season. If Ben can stay healthy, and the team doesn't become a MASH unit again, I think we're going to do some serious damage.

Count Steeler
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Did anyone see us winning it in '08 against the monster schedule we had that year? If Ben doesn't get injured against KC, we'd still be playing. Bottom line.

Yes, we quite possibly would have ended up with a bye. However, looking forward to next year, there are many pieces of the puzzle that are still up in the air. At this point, I don't think anyone can say with confidence that we are a true SB contender for next year.

Once the personnel moves are made and we finish the draft, we will be better able to reevaluate where we are. And the biggest question mark moving forward is Ben himself. Does he have the body to last a full 16-20 game schedule? Will the FO do something about the backup QB situation so that in the eventuality of another injury to Ben, we won't have to rush him back.

zulater
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I hope and think Ben will win one more Super bowl as the Steelers starting qb. Expecting or asking for more than that is a reach. Especially when you consider all the great qb's in the league over the years who haven't won multiple Super bowls.

So who knows, maybe next year, maybe 2014? :noidea:

But I do think he's going to give us at least one more great run at it.

steelreserve
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I think getting one more is possible, but it's not like Super Bowls grow on trees. You have to be good AND everything has to go your way. Talking about winning 3 more in the next what, 6 years, makes me think people don't understand how hard it is to win one. If he won two more, I'd consider us extremely lucky.

Also, I don't think three championships counts as a "dynasty," especially if none were back-to-back. Yeah, that would make us one of the elite teams over the course of the years, but to me "dynasty" means you were so dominant that it was surprising when you DIDN'T win. I don't think anyone has had that status since the Cowboys and 49ers back in the 1990s - Patriots* included.

steelerdude15
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I would love to see Ben get five rings, but in all honesty. I only see him getting one more, which I'd be fine with.

ALLD
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
If we do not win another SB within the next two seasons it could well be over and done with this crew. Ben can only take so many more hits before he does not come back from injury. Still, with one more SB I would not consider them a dynasty unless they won it all on a perfect season. Too many holes in the team and really never dominated a season. Also lost one SB to the Pack.

Dynasties do not lose the big game when they are playing. Just ask Bradshaw.

tube517
01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Not a dynasty. But, i'll take what we have now over the 26 year drought we had before SB XL

In this day and age, no one will ever win 4 in 6 years. Ever. Free agency, injuries, egos, hocus pocus all prevent dynasties now.

Godfather
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
2013 is our last chance with the current group of stars. 2014-15 will be transition years. 2016 is (hopefully) when our younger players hit their prime, and Ben will have a narrow window of opportunity before his body gives out.

steelerdude15
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
2013 is our last chance with the current group of stars. 2014-15 will be transition years. 2016 is (hopefully) when our younger players hit their prime, and Ben will have a narrow window of opportunity before his body gives out.

In all reality, the Steelers are transitioning now and have been for the past couple of years. We're going from an older to a younger team. We'll be doing it even more this year.