PDA

View Full Version : In Need For A Lead: Steelers Need A Feature Runner in 2013

stillers4me
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM
When you think of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the running game, the names Harris, Bettis, Foster, and Parker come to mind. When you think of running backs on the current Steelers team, the names don’t exactly conjure up images of broken tackles, big runs, and streaks of 100-yard games............

Read more @
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/in-need-for-a-lead-steelers-need-a-feature-runner-in-2013/

GBMelBlount
01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Fix the line and we are fine with our current stable of backs.

Mojouw
01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Count me out on Steven Jackson. Too much wear on the tires.

The Steelers cheapest (although not best) option is either a draft pick or Mendenhall.

Since they are close to the cap (again) then I figure we see Mendenhall get a camp invite at least with a mid to low round pick on a back.

zulater
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Disagree. I like Redman as a short yardage back, but that's it. Watching the playoffs, you give Ben a true feature back like Arain Foster, or Ray Rice and the Steelers would be the best team in the league.

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Count me out on Steven Jackson. Too much wear on the tires.

The Steelers cheapest (although not best) option is either a draft pick or Mendenhall.

Since they are close to the cap (again) then I figure we see Mendenhall get a camp invite at least with a mid to low round pick on a back.

Steven Jackson is still much better than anything that we currently have. He also has a few good years left in him. I don't think he's going to leave the Rams though.

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
^he's thinking seriously about retiring too. Approaching 30, overworked, and not passionate for football is a bad combo

Mojouw
01-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Steven Jackson is still much better than anything that we currently have. He also has a few good years left in him. I don't think he's going to leave the Rams though.

He WAS much better than what the Steelers currently have. His YPC is trending down. Next year will be his age 30 season. The data on high usage between the tackles backs once they hit 30 is not good. Michael Turner is a decent recent comparison. Eddie George is one of the most extreme. I am by no means saying that Jackson is done, just that in any free agent deal (assuming he leaves St. Louis -- which I agree he likely does not)a team will be paying for past production and the "premium" (he holds a $7 million dollar option for 2013) that comes with the name recognition of a former all world RB. Heck Mendenhall and Jackson's 2011 seasons were statistically similar. No way anyone thinks about giving Mendenhall between 5 and 10 million dollars.

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
He WAS much better than what the Steelers currently have. His YPC is trending down. Next year will be his age 30 season. The data on high usage between the tackles backs once they hit 30 is not good. Michael Turner is a decent recent comparison. Eddie George is one of the most extreme. I am by no means saying that Jackson is done, just that in any free agent deal (assuming he leaves St. Louis -- which I agree he likely does not)a team will be paying for past production and the "premium" (he holds a $7 million dollar option for 2013) that comes with the name recognition of a former all world RB. Heck Mendenhall and Jackson's 2011 seasons were statistically similar. No way anyone thinks about giving Mendenhall between 5 and 10 million dollars.

He IS much better. Did you even watch any of the Rams games this year? I saw every carry from Jackson this year behind a terrible OL. He still gained 1000 yards and has more burst and power than any RB currently on the Steelers roster. The dude still runs over people.

It's all a moot point though because like I said, I don't think that he will leave the Rams. He's already said that he wants to stay and their improved play this year will make that an easier decision for him.

- - - Updated - - -

^he's thinking seriously about retiring too. Approaching 30, overworked, and not passionate for football is a bad combo

Where did you get that from? He hasn't said a single word about retiring. Anyone who says that Steven Jackson "isn't passionate for football" is talking out of their ass. He's one of the most passionate players I've seen play the game.

You need to get better sources for your info. :lol:

Craic
01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I started losing heart in our stable of running backs towards the end of the season as well. Yes, I recognize our line troubles, but we don't seem to have a guy that can put the team on his back and carry them through troubled parts of the season.

I'm not sure I'd want someone turning thirty. Remember what happened when we thought we got a good deal with "The sweatsuit model?" One injury, and his career was virtually over. What I wouldn't mind seeing however, is our team trolling for unhappy young players who's numbers of fallen off, and trading for them in mid rounds. It's not that much of a risk and in comparison to a draft pick, we already know what we're getting.

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
No matter what, the RB position needs an upgrade.

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get that from? He hasn't said a single word about retiring. Anyone who says that Steven Jackson "isn't passionate for football" is talking out of their ass. He's one of the most passionate players I've seen play the game.

You need to get better sources for your info. :lol:

"If I have to write my story," Jackson said, "I'd rather go out like Barry Sanders and leaving people to want more than to leave too late."

my bad, didnt realize i said not passionate for football. i meant losing passion for football.

Well here's him saying he's going to think about it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117789/article/steven-jackson-hints-he-could-retire-from-nfl-at-age-29

Just a week ago here's an article i didnt catch before where he changes his mind before he pulls a brett favre lol: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119718/article/steven-jackson-quashes-his-own-retirement-rumor

so whoops. but before that 2nd article he definitely hinted a little bit at it. Dont need to say the word to imply it. still have to be careful with a guy who's been worked to death and hitting 30 soon. and as said above, could be expensive which is not great under our cap circumstances (yes i know, i am a proponent for getting wallace back, but thats only if we can get keenan lewis and ramon foster under contract 1st and if by some small chance in hell that we can fit wallace in there)

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
That's nothing more than a player without a contract talking. He even said it with a smile. He's not retiring any time soon.

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
That's nothing more than a player without a contract talking. He even said it with a smile. He's not retiring any time soon.

oh i see. didnt realize there was a contract situation

Steeldude
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Are the Steelers going to waste an early pick on a RB again. Please no.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM

That is pretty much how I feel as well.

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM

I can't see them using an early pick, at least not the first 2 rounds.

steelerdude15
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM

I don't think they will. I think they'll pick a safety or linebacker in the first round with another defensive player in the next round. I guess we'll find out come April.

Mojouw
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Well I am not sure where the draft pick will be spent, but if you want a significant upgrade to the talent on hand at the RB position, it is going to have to come through the draft. The current (or at least best that I could find) list of FA RB's is uninspiring at best.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13

I am coming around to the opinion that an incentive laden contract offer to Mendenhall may be the only way to maximize potential production at the RB spot with a minimal cost. Ugh.

Mojouw
01-07-2013, 12:19 PM
He IS much better. Did you even watch any of the Rams games this year? I saw every carry from Jackson this year behind a terrible OL. He still gained 1000 yards and has more burst and power than any RB currently on the Steelers roster. The dude still runs over people.

It's all a moot point though because like I said, I don't think that he will leave the Rams. He's already said that he wants to stay and their improved play this year will make that an easier decision for him.

My only point is that any contract offer to Jackson by a team not named the Rams (since I agree that they are his preferred destination) will have to significantly overpay. I do not think that there is much precedent for sustained Pro Bowl caliber production from RB's past 30. While Jackson had a good year this year, I do not see it continuing through the life of his next contract. A FA contract offer to Jackson will be partially about paying for past production - similar to the Namdi Asogmaugh (sp??) contract by the Eagles recently.

Despite the fact that he is clearly a head case, I figure you can roughly match Jackson's production over the next couple of seasons simply by resigning Mendenhall. Mendenhall will likely be far cheaper as he is arguably damaged goods. Not sure if this is the best route to go, but A contract to a big name FA covering his 30+ years is a poor use of resources.

NJarhead
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I think both can and will develop together. There were issues with the line at times (probably more times than not) and there were a few times the burst wasn't there coming out of the backfield. I say this with Dwyer mainly in mind. The youth and talent, I believe, is there.

zulater
01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't think they will. I think they'll pick a safety or linebacker in the first round with another defensive player in the next round. I guess we'll find out come April.

This!!!

NJarhead
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM

This!!!

Well, it may be a bit premature, but in my hunger for info about the Steelers' future I went out seeking mock draft info. I looked at four, fairly reputable, sources (no Mike Mayock input unfortunately). Anyway, two had us taking an ILB and two had us taking a NT.

I won't be disappointed with LB, DL or Safety in the first round. I don't believe there are any RB's anyway and I suppose there is an outside chance they'd take a WR. Who knows what they'll do though.

Okay, before I start rambling....

crcsnail
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
As u r talking about running backs .is the Pitt RB ,Ray Graham due to appear in the draft? I did watch Pitts bowl game at the weekend and he didn't play . I know he was injured but i was looking forward to seeing him play.

If he is in the draft will he be a high pick or have those injuries knocked him out of draft consideration.

Who else could be a good pick for the steelers in this years draft?

zulater
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
As u r talking about running backs .is the Pitt RB ,Ray Graham due to appear in the draft? I did watch Pitts bowl game at the weekend and he didn't play . I know he was injured but i was looking forward to seeing him play.

If he is in the draft will he be a high pick or have those injuries knocked him out of draft consideration.

The Steelers are great at ignoring Pitt's running backs over the years.
So if this guy has any NFL game you can bet they'll pass on him too! :doh:

steelerdude15
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Ray is going to be in the draft this year and I love him to death. He's been an absolute blast to watch and I definitely think he can have good NFL career. If he didn't tear is ACL last season, I bet he'd be a first round pick this year. If the Steelers go with a safety or linebacker in the first couple of rounds and pick him up in the third or fourth, I'd be pumped. However, he may be gone by that time. He's definitely better than any of the running backs we have now. I would love to have him as a starter and have Issac or Johnny be the third down back.

Another great thing about Ray is that he hasn't had a great O-line the past couple of years, but he has killed it each year he's started. If there isn't a hole, he finds another one or bounces to the outside. He has speed, he can easily make you miss him, he is good at reading a defense while the play is in motion, etc. I would just love to have him.

Steeltreal
01-08-2013, 01:17 AM
3rd round draft possibilities, that can become feature backs, top 5 Lacy, Ball, Bell, Randle, and Latimore is the wild card.

LLT
01-08-2013, 02:26 AM
There will be a run on RB's in the 2nd round...but as of now, there are no RB's with a first round grade.

Montee Ball and Le'Veon Bell are very interesting late 2nd to late 3rd round prospects and Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina was considered the best RB in the draft before his devastating injury. He now carries a late 2nd round grade. If he is still there in the middle of the third, I would seriously consider taking a gamble on him.

Mojouw
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I really hope the Steelers stay away from Montee Ball. Having seen a bunch of him at UW, he is a great college runner but will struggle in the pros where he can not simply run away from guys. Poor technique on setting up blocks and is totally impatient when looking for a hole. Stats are misleading with him. Although he is talented, he is worse at reading the play than either Parker or Mendenhall -- benefited from playing behind a pro-level line in the Big Ten. Of course, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I really hope the Steelers stay away from Montee Ball. Having seen a bunch of him at UW, he is a great college runner but will struggle in the pros where he can not simply run away from guys. Poor technique on setting up blocks and is totally impatient when looking for a hole. Stats are misleading with him. Although he is talented, he is worse at reading the play than either Parker or Mendenhall -- benefited from playing behind a pro-level line in the Big Ten. Of course, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

thats what i kept saying about john clay but people actually saw something in him :lol:. ball's still a pretty decent nfl prospect though. the badger o-line was actually not very good until late in the season. before the latter part of the season, gordon, white, and ball were manufacturing their own plays, honestly.

BnG_Hevn
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I think both can and will develop together. There were issues with the line at times (probably more times than not) and there were a few times the burst wasn't there coming out of the backfield. I say this with Dwyer mainly in mind. The youth and talent, I believe, is there.

NJarhead, is your avatar taken at 8th&I? I was stationed there and in the Color Guard. I can't see the national flag bearer to see if it would be the color sergeant: The color sergeant carries the national flag at the Friday Night Parade and at Iwo on Tuesdays.

NJarhead
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
NJarhead, is your avatar taken at 8th&I? I was stationed there and in the Color Guard. I can't see the national flag bearer to see if it would be the color sergeant: The color sergeant carries the national flag at the Friday Night Parade and at Iwo on Tuesdays.

It was. In fact, this was the week President Bush visited. I have a pic of him leaning over to talk to "Chesty." I took my family there the week after.

Mojouw
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
thats what i kept saying about john clay but people actually saw something in him :lol:. ball's still a pretty decent nfl prospect though. the badger o-line was actually not very good until late in the season. before the latter part of the season, gordon, white, and ball were manufacturing their own plays, honestly.

Good point. I still feel that Ball is being valued a bunch by his 2011 season and his stats. While I agree that he is a decent NFL prospect, I wouldn't want to spend a pick in the first 3 rounds to find out.

Chidi29
01-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm sure we can get Mendenhall back cheap. Still just a year removed from a torn ACL, never really got 100% healthy this year, unproductive season, suspended for a game.

When he was close to being healthy, it was obvious he was the most talented back we had. He can and has been the lead back. I don't want to potentially go into 2013 without one.

Texasteel
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Disagree. I like Redman as a short yardage back, but that's it. Watching the playoffs, you give Ben a true feature back like Arain Foster, or Ray Rice and the Steelers would be the best team in the league.

I agree with you. I just don't see a featured back on this team right now, other than Mendy, whos future here may be iffy.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm sure we can get Mendenhall back cheap.

I am sure we can get not so fast anymore willie parker pretty cheap too...

just sayin.

Craic
01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I am sure we can get fast willie parker pretty cheap too...

just sayin.

At this stage of life, I doubt "Fast" would be in his name. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Good point. I still feel that Ball is being valued a bunch by his 2011 season and his stats. While I agree that he is a decent NFL prospect, I wouldn't want to spend a pick in the first 3 rounds to find out.

definitely. as a badger myself i gotta say everybody around wisco overestimated ball after last year's season. after having horrible quarterbacking, an unpredictable defense, and much weaker line play, id say he's going to do about as much as mark ingram is doing for the saints. not bad, but not great.