PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Steelers’ dollars go to defense

stillers4me
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are the faces of the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)‘ defense, a pair of well-known and well-paid players who have 12 Pro Bowl appearances, three Super Bowl trips and two Defensive Player of the Year awards between them.

They‘re also the primary reason the NFL‘s No. 1-ranked defense is one of the NFL‘s best-compensated.
The offense? With the exception of Ben Roethlisberger, they‘re the guys who are hoping they don‘t get stuck with the check at the team dinner.

While most NFL teams devote roughly an equal amount of salary cap space to their offense and defense, the Steelers spent nearly twice as much on defense ($57.7 million) as they did offense ($30.3 million, or about half of what the Bears paid)...................

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3233531-74/million-cap-steelers#ixzz2HD7nRe70

Mojouw
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I wish I could have that guy's job. His latest two articles are so blindingly obvious that it pains me that he gets paid to write them. That's some Bleacher Report level "journalism" right there.

Still an interesting point. But since the "reporter" only cherry picks examples to prove his point...how do the Steelers compare to other "elite" defensive teams? I'm guessing the Ravens, Niners, Giants (all those pass rushers), etc spend a big percentage on defense. Alternatively what about "loaded" offensive teams such as the Saints, Packers, Patriots, etc. I suspect their cap dollar distribution is the mirror image of the Steelers. I guess I could just Google that information, but I'm lazy and would rather piss and moan...watching the Bengals and the Ravens look awful in the playoffs will do that...

So basically the reporter discovered that in the salary cap era, NFL teams sometimes make the choice to disproportionately allocate limited cap dollars and load up on stars on one side of the ball. I for one and shocked and staggered by this stunning conclusion.

43Hitman
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I wish I could have that guy's job. His latest two articles are so blindingly obvious that it pains me that he gets paid to write them. That's some Bleacher Report level "journalism" right there.

Still an interesting point. But since the "reporter" only cherry picks examples to prove his point...how do the Steelers compare to other "elite" defensive teams? I'm guessing the Ravens, Niners, Giants (all those pass rushers), etc spend a big percentage on defense. Alternatively what about "loaded" offensive teams such as the Saints, Packers, Patriots, etc. I suspect their cap dollar distribution is the mirror image of the Steelers. I guess I could just Google that information, but I'm lazy and would rather piss and moan...watching the Bengals and the Ravens look awful in the playoffs will do that...

So basically the reporter discovered that in the salary cap era, NFL teams sometimes make the choice to disproportionately allocate limited cap dollars and load up on stars on one side of the ball. I for one and shocked and staggered by this stunning conclusion.

:lol:

X-Terminator
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM

And to think, just last week I was blasted because I questioned this guy's "cred" over his last article. Obviously he is just as shit-stupid as most of the rest of the Pittsburgh media.

Craic
01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Obviously he is just as shit-stupid as most of the rest of the Pittsburgh media.

Now, that's definitely a special kind of stupid. :chuckle:

Chidi29
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Did he forget about the new deal Antonio Brown just got?

Or that we offered up 50 mil to Wallace.

Or Miller's deal of 35 million.

Or the fact we have guys like Pouncey that are playing on rookie contracts, making the cap hit smaller but the investment still large.