PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu: "I Always Wanted To Be A Navy SEAL"

SteelerEmpire
01-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Polamalu pledges support for military

By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 12:01*a.m.
Updated 9 hours ago

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu could have been a Navy SEAL had he not been selected with the 16th pick out of Southern Cal in 2003.

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3216447-74/polamalu-veterans-military#axzz2HCfmT0yc

stillers4me
01-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Can you imagine Troy without all the hair?????????? I can imagine him being trained to kill......but I can't imagine him killing anyone. I think he made the right choice....lucky for us!

Seven
01-06-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm very glad to see Troy and other members of the team so strongly supportive of our military.

fansince'76
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Polamalu has the toughness, discipline and character to survive the grueling training required to be among the Navy‘s elite.

Nothing against Troy, but I'm not so sure about that. Less than 25% make it through the training, and the training itself is ridiculously intense and long - a full year of hell, really. Besides, the NFL is WAY more lucrative and far less dangerous.

Count Steeler
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Glad he chose to be a Steeler's Seal instead.

Shoes
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Nothing against Troy, but I'm not so sure about that. Less than 25% make it through the training, and the training itself is ridiculously intense and long - a full year of hell, really. Besides, the NFL is WAY more lucrative and far less dangerous.

This

The perception of most of these guys is that they are muscle bound lot with chiseled facial features. In fact the opposite is true, most are slender and the slenderness is muscle.....the toughness is between the ears.

Here is one event after "Hell Week" called Drown-Proofing

In drown-proofing, a trainee's arms and legs are bound. Then, he bobs in the water for five minutes. He also has to float for another five minutes which is followed by a 100 meter swim. Another two minute bob leads to a series of forward and backward flips. After that, trainees swim to the bottom of the pool. Once there, they bring an object up with their teeth. Lastly, they have to bob five more times.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/navy-seal-11_zpsdc743219.jpg

smokin3000gt
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
This

The perception of most of these guys is that they are muscle bound lot with chiseled facial features. In fact the opposite is true, most are slender and the slenderness is muscle.....the toughness is between the ears.

In drown-proofing, a trainee's arms and legs are bound. Then, he bobs in the water for five minutes. He also has to float for another five minutes which is followed by a 100 meter swim. Another two minute bob leads to a series of forward and backward flips. After that, trainees swim to the bottom of the pool. Once there, they bring an object up with their teeth. Lastly, they have to bob five more times.

Am I the only one here that does all of that twice a week before coffee and breakfast? :wink02:

Hindes204
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Navy seals are a whole different breed, there are very few in the US that are physically and mentally tough enough to be one.

HollywoodSteel
01-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I think he would have made it and they would have designed strategy for his unit around his unique skill set only to watch him sidelined with a calf injury for the entire war on terror. :lol:

SCSTILLER
01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
This

Another thing, and not a perception, is that the ones that brag about being a SEAL (or any other SF unit from Green Beret, USMC Recon, USAF PJ/Combat Controller) more than likely have never been a SEAL.

I am thankful for the Steelers, and Troy, in supporting the military but I really don't think that any single member of the Steelers would be able to make it through the selection process.

Craic
01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Polamalu pledges support for military

By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 12:01*a.m.
Updated 9 hours ago

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu could have been a Navy SEAL had he not been selected with the 16th pick out of Southern Cal in 2003.

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3216447-74/polamalu-veterans-military#axzz2HCfmT0yc

It's always the quiet ones, isn't it?

Actually, in the article, Troy said it was the Navy SEALS that told him he'd probably've made it, which I believe. He has the physical endurance - most NFL trained skill position athletes have the physical endurance to make it. What he also has, is the mental tenacity. On top of that, he's more wiry than buff, which is another trait of SEALS.

Another thing, and not a perception, is that the ones that brag about being a SEAL (or any other SF unit from Green Beret, USMC Recon, USAF PJ/Combat Controller) more than likely have never been a SEAL.

I am thankful for the Steelers, and Troy, in supporting the military but I really don't think that any single member of the Steelers would be able to make it through the selection process.
See above post for second paragraph. As for the first . . . yep, you're dead on. There's a few ways you can check as well - like asking for the number of their graduating class. If they claim it's "confidential" etc., then they're full of it, since graduating classes are public information.

SCSTILLER
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
It's always the quiet ones, isn't it?

See above post for second paragraph. As for the first . . . yep, you're dead on. There's a few ways you can check as well - like asking for the number of their graduating class. If they claim it's "confidential" etc., then they're full of it, since graduating classes are public information.

I will definitely agree that it is always the quiet ones that make it, and out of all the Steelers HE would be the one that I would put my money on. But no matter what the individual, or the outside observer, thinks of themselves, the training that our Spec Ops Forces go through is called Super Man school for a reason.

Either way, thanks to the Steelers for their support!

fansince'76
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Agreed. I've never met a SEAL, but I have met a number of Green Berets and every one of them were extremely humble. I'd imagine SEALs are of the same mold.

SteelerEmpire
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Agreed. I've never met a SEAL, but I have met a number of Green Berets and every one of them were extremely humble. I'd imagine SEALs are of the same mold.

I still keep in contact with a couple of buddies that were SEAL's and yes, their pretty quiet guys. They usually don't disclose their "Seal-ness" unless they know their talking to former Navy. The Navy really doesn't "glamorize" any sort of violence (believe it or not) as it's really a thinking man's organization. ANY sailor that walks around like he's billy bad ass "will" get put in check (hence the "quietness"). But the SEAL's get respect and 10 Marines still get up and leave the bar when 1 known SEAL walks in :)

tube517
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Can you imagine Troy without all the hair?????????? I can imagine him being trained to kill......but I can't imagine him killing anyone. I think he made the right choice....lucky for us!

http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/509542/troy-polamalu-and-head-and-shoulders-gallery.jpg

steelerdude15
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I thought that this was a great article. I always like to see our favorite athletes supporting our troops. I also like to hear what our favorite athletes do for our troops as well. Kudos to Troy, Brett, Johnny, and Doug!

Craic
01-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I will definitely agree that it is always the quiet ones that make it, and out of all the Steelers HE would be the one that I would put my money on. But no matter what the individual, or the outside observer, thinks of themselves, the training that our Spec Ops Forces go through is called Super Man school for a reason.

Either way, thanks to the Steelers for their support!

Yes and yes. The history of the SEALS is something that's fascinated me enough to do quite a bit of reading about them. I've met a couple. ONe of them was struck in the head in Iraq and was blind. He was going through an operation a few years ago and died on the table. Very sad, since he was still in his late twenties.

From what I've read, the training that the early guys (before they were even known as UDT) was the worst. This was back when Kauffman was still putting it together and crammed the Scouts and Raiders training into just a few weeks and added everything else - and established "hell week" as well. From I've read, it was every bit as tough as it has ever been, except they were also dealing with biting midges, deer and horse flies, and just about every other thing down there.

And some of what they did . . . could you imagine being a "combat swimmer" with nothing more than a pair of shorts and a knife? Definitely something to take you're hat off too. I know a number of the newer SEALS still shake their heads at what those first ones actually did.

Of course, the same is probably true in reverse.

katmandu
01-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Navy seals are a whole different breed, there are very few in the US that are physically and mentally tough enough to be one.That's why losing 36 of them was truly horrific!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44043847/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/t/us-troops-mostly-elite-navy-seals-killed-afghanistan/

Craic
01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
That's why losing 36 of them was truly horrific!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44043847/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/t/us-troops-mostly-elite-navy-seals-killed-afghanistan/

I disagree with you there - not because I don't respect SEALS, but because I think they'd be the first to tell you that they are just as expendable as any other person in the military. It's truly horrific when we lose anyone, not more so when we lose SEALS vs. 30 people out of a combat support battalion, especially so since those in that crash were triple-volunteers; once into the Navy, once into SEALS, and last into Counter-terror work of SEAL team 6 (or whatever it is they call it now -Devgroup blah blah or whatever it is).

That said, I do understand what your saying about how horrific it is to lose this many highly trained, highly prized warriors at the same time, and how horrible it must be in a community that tight-knit.

katmandu
01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
That said, I do understand what your saying about how horrific it is to lose this many highly trained, highly prized warriors at the same time, and how horrible it must be in a community that tight-knit.Of course that is what I meant.

I did not mean to imply in any way shape or form that their lives where more important than and other Veteran's life.

I'm a Retired Vet myself and also work in a VA hospital.

NJarhead
01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
This

"Drown proofing" is actually just the act of bobbing on the surface without excerting any energy. In a controlled environment it's actually relaxing. Out in the middle of the ocean, I'd imagine it takes great mental stability and calmness.

fansince'76
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Actually, in the article, Troy said it was the Navy SEALS that told him he'd probably've made it, which I believe. He has the physical endurance - most NFL trained skill position athletes have the physical endurance to make it. What he also has, is the mental tenacity. On top of that, he's more wiry than buff, which is another trait of SEALS.

Which speaks more to the humility of the SEALs than anything, IMO (if I could do it, anybody could). However, Troy is probably the one guy on the Steelers who possibly could have made it, I'll say that much.

NJarhead
01-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I still keep in contact with a couple of buddies that were SEAL's and yes, their pretty quiet guys. They usually don't disclose their "Seal-ness" unless they know their talking to former Navy. The Navy really doesn't "glamorize" any sort of violence (believe it or not) as it's really a thinking man's organization. ANY sailor that walks around like he's billy bad ass "will" get put in check (hence the "quietness"). But the SEAL's get respect and 10 Marines still get up and leave the bar when 1 known SEAL walks in :)

Yea, I don't think so.

SCSTILLER
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
"Drown proofing" is actually just the act of bobbing on the surface without excerting any energy. In a controlled environment it's actually relaxing. Out in the middle of the ocean, I'd imagine it takes great mental stability and calmness.

I went to an NCO Professional Course with a USAF Combat Controller and he talked about drown proofing, and how easy it was until the instructors in SCUBA gear got in the water with them and started harrassing them. He talked about actually passing out under water and coming to on the walkway around the pool.

NJarhead
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I went to an NCO Professional Course with a USAF Combat Controller and he talked about drown proofing, and how easy it was until the instructors in SCUBA gear got in the water with them and started harrassing them. He talked about actually passing out under water and coming to on the walkway around the pool.
Being harrrassed by instructors isn't drown proofing. In fact, that defeats the entire purpose whichis to use as little energy as possible while not necessarily treading water. I've done it in the Marine Corps, and for far longer than 5 minutes, which I'm sure is the case with the SEALs as well.