PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Arizona interviewing Steelers' Haley for top job

Seven
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Heard this through the grape vine via multiple sources throughout last night/this morning. As far as I can tell PFT is the only place to publish the sentiment so far.

Todd Haley hasn’t said yes to Cardinals interview

On Thursday, there was a report that the Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley for their head coaching position.

The Steelers can’t block Haley from taking the interview, but Haley can turn down the opportunity himself. According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Haley might wind up doing just that.

Per Werder, Haley has yet to agree to the interview because “he loves working for” the Steelers. It was a rocky first year for Haley in the role as he and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger never quite seemed to see eye to eye on the best way to run the offense...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/todd-haley-hasnt-said-yes-to-cardinals-interview/

zulater
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
In other words, I'll probably get one more chance in my life to be a head coach. And if you think I'm going to tie myself to Kevin Kolb on that chance....?!

:lol:

fansince'76
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
But Roethlisberger's an uncoachable dick! Why in the world would he want to stay with the Steelers?!? :rolleyes:

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
hope its true. then again the source of the info doesnt make it sound accurate...

Seven
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
hope its true. then again the source of the info doesnt make it sound accurate...

I've heard it from several places, not just PFT. But I think he'd have to be stupid not to interview under any circumstances, and I don't think Haley is stupid - so the report could very well end up being inciorrect.

zulater
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I've heard it from several places, not just PFT. But I think he'd have to be stupid not to interview under any circumstances, and I don't think Haley is stupid - so the report could very well end up being inciorrect.

Would you want to interview to be the Captain of the Titanic? Look at that roster, look at the structure of the organization and what chance does any coach have not to be unemployed in 2 or 3 years?

If Haley truly believes that the Steelers offense could be special next season then he knows he could parlay that into having his choice of the best job available next year. Which could even be the Giants job for all you know now?

Granted the Giants thing is a long shot, but the point is if Haley truly believes in himself and the potential of the Steelers offense then he knows he could be looking at a much better opportunity than the Cardinals next year.

Seven
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Would you want to interview to be the Captain of the Titanic? Look at that roster, look at the structure of the organization and what chance does any coach have not to be unemployed in 2 or 3 years?

If Haley truly believes that the Steelers offense could be special next season then he knows he could parlay that into having his choice of the best job available next year. Which could even be the Giants job for all you know now?

Granted the Giants thing is a long shot, but the point is if Haley truly believes in himself and the potential of the Steelers offense then he knows he could be looking at a much better opportunity than the Cardinals next year.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's foolish for not taking the job, simply for not accepting the interview. Keeping your name in lights is rarely a bad thing in the coaching business.

zulater
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's foolish for not taking the job, simply for not accepting the interview. Keeping your name in lights is rarely a bad thing in the coaching business.

He's already been through the interview proccess and got a head coaching job.

So if he goes there, blows them away in the interview, and is offered the job and turns them down, then it comes across as if he's just wasting people's time. I think it's also possible he has geniune regard for the Bidwell's from his time there, so if he sees that as a dead end this is the most polite way to let them down. Just tell them you have unfinished work in Pittsburgh and everyone's happy.

Seven
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM

So if he goes there, blows them away in the interview, and is offered the job and turns them down, then it comes across as if he's just wasting people's time. I think it's also possible he has geniune regard for the Bidwell's from his time there, so if he sees that as a dead end this is the most polite way to let them down.

If he simply wants to stay here and OC for the remainder of his career - if this really is his dream job - then I agree with you. And maybe it is. But if he has any interest in becoming a head coach again he better not be concerned with hurting the feelings of team owners because most other candidates won't and will hype their way right past him on the "hot list".

Devilsdancefloor
01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Maybe he is happy at "home"? Plus he has a good O

BnG_Hevn
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
If he leaves the Steelers and ends up unemployed in 2 - 3 years then he screwed himself. So unless he is REAL comfortable with the team he inherits / gets an iron-clad contract that will give him a legit chance to succeed, then if I were him I'd stay with the Steelers until 1) a better HC opt arises or 2) retired.

Look at Lebeau. Do you think he'd leave again, even if he were 10 years younger? He has it made doing what he is good at and in a comfortable surroundings.

tube517
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
If he had 2008 Kurt Warner then it's a no Brainer but they are looking at a rebuilding year with a possible rookie QB or scrubs. He will be able to yell at whatever QB he has all day though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GodfatherofSoul
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

So if he goes there, blows them away in the interview, and is offered the job and turns them down, then it comes across as if he's just wasting people's time. I think it's also possible he has geniune regard for the Bidwell's from his time there, so if he sees that as a dead end this is the most polite way to let them down. Just tell them you have unfinished work in Pittsburgh and everyone's happy.

I could be wrong, but I've heard the opposite is true. If you don't accept interviews you look disinterested and might be overlooked in the future. You listen to the pitch regardless and politely decline if you're not interested.

43Hitman
01-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I could be wrong, but I've heard the opposite is true. If you don't accept interviews you look disinterested and might be overlooked in the future. You listen to the pitch regardless and politely decline if you're not interested.

Yeah, I've always heard the same thing.

Shoes
01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
He is disinterested...he's back home to stay.

fansince'76
01-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Even so, I've never seen a coach at the NFL level without a healthy ego. As they are all pretty much type A personalities, most of them probably think they have what it takes to turn a bad situation around in relatively short order from a coaching standpoint. Considering the absolutely raw deal he got in KC, I would think he'd want another shot as a HC at some point - sooner rather than later. However, I do hope he stays for continuity more than anything else. The offense was just starting to click when Ben got hurt.

salamander
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I hope he stays just so we don't turn into one of those teams that has to deal with its third OC in three years.

KeiselPower99
01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I read several times over the past year that Haley has always wanted to be back home in Pittsburgh and considers this a dream opportunity.

GBMelBlount
01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Maybe he is happy at "home"? Plus he has a good O

I agree.

To the OC who gets the Steeler's offensive ducks in a row goes the spoils imo.

With a very solid defense and Ben, solid receivers and an O line with huge potential on the other side of the ball, the sky could be the limit the next few years.

I would feel like a kid in a candy store if I were Haley.

GoSlash27
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I read several times over the past year that Haley has always wanted to be back home in Pittsburgh and considers this a dream opportunity.

^This. Could it really be that simple? Maybe he's just happy where he is.

zulater
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Even so, I've never seen a coach at the NFL level without a healthy ego. As they are all pretty much type A personalities, most of them probably think they have what it takes to turn a bad situation around in relatively short order from a coaching standpoint. Considering the absolutely raw deal he got in KC, I would think he'd want another shot as a HC at some point - sooner rather than later. However, I do hope he stays for continuity more than anything else. The offense was just starting to click when Ben got hurt.

If I remember right Whiz refused an interview request with the Raiders after the 2005 season, and it didn't hurt him.

Again if in fact Haley is declining the interview request. Haley knows he'll probably get one moire chance at an NFL head coaching job as things stand now. So say he goes to Arizona, and looking at the organization and roster he in fact can't turn things around and he's fired after the 2014 season that's it. Never again will he be an NFL head coach.

So that's likely scenario one.

Now here's sceanario two.

He stays in Pittsburgh for one more season. The o-line stays healthy, the Steelers figure out who their primary back is and he's effective. Ben goes off and plays 16 games near or at MVP level and the Steelers offense actually plays up to their potential.

Now he's back on the top of everyone's coaching search. There's teams like Detroit, Texas, Dallas looking for coaches, teams with real talent and possible organizational structure.

Turning down that interview doesn't look silly at all now.

Seven
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
If I remember right Whiz refused an interview request with the Raiders after the 2005 season, and it didn't hurt him.

You're correct. I think Atlanta had to fight to get him to interview at one point, too.

Pristas
01-05-2013, 04:57 PM

He stays in Pittsburgh for one more season. The o-line stays healthy, the Steelers figure out who their primary back is and he's effective. Ben goes off and plays 16 games near or at MVP level and the Steelers offense actually plays up to their potential.

Now he's back on the top of everyone's coaching search. There's teams like Detroit, Texas, Dallas looking for coaches, teams with real talent and possible organizational structure.

Quoted for truth.

Mojouw
01-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Again if in fact Haley is declining the interview request. Haley knows he'll probably get one moire chance at an NFL head coaching job as things stand now. So say he goes to Arizona, and looking at the organization and roster he in fact can't turn things around and he's fired after the 2014 season that's it. Never again will he be an NFL head coach.

So that's likely scenario one.

That's what I was going to say. Another factor to consider is that often times bad times fire coaches and typically bad teams lack a good QB. I wouldn't want to take a head coaching gig if I was otherwise employed in the NFL for a team without a decent QB this offseason. There are no true franchise level prospects in the draft and the current projected free agent market for QB's looks awful. Alex Smith anyone? So taking ZU's scenario from above, Haley "waits" a year and maybe lands a job somewhere with some talent!

vader29
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Ed Bouchette‏@EdBouchette

#steelers Haley in Arizona today interviewing for Cardinals job

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/report-todd-haley-interviewing-with-cardinals-today/

Pristas
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Ed Bouchette‏@EdBouchette

#steelers Haley in Arizona today interviewing for Cardinals job

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/report-todd-haley-interviewing-with-cardinals-today/

This sucks. Everyone is finally comfortable with the new system, now we're going to change it again. Sheash.

Chidi29
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Media is terrible. Andy Reid going to Arizona. Chip Kelly going to the Browns. And there were back and forth reports on if Haley was interviewing today. He is!

http://deadspin.com/5974598/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

fansince'76
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Media is terrible. Andy Reid going to Arizona. Chip Kelly going to the Browns. And there were back and forth reports on if Haley was interviewing today. He is!

http://deadspin.com/5974598/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Please, Alex, graduate soon and show these assclowns what JOURNALISM really is. And no, it isn't uncorroborated Twitter "reports."

steel striker
01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I still think Todd will stay because, let's face it cardinals have more issues with their o-line not to mention the QB situation.

Chidi29
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Please, Alex, graduate soon and show these assclowns what JOURNALISM really is. And no, it isn't uncorroborated Twitter "reports."

LOL!

The rule of thumb should really be, "Look at the initial report. The opposite of it is what's actually the truth."

Hindes204
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Why all the secrecy? I don't get it.

stillers4me
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Confirmed...

Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette By
The Arizona Cardinals are interviewing Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley today for the job as their head coach.
Haley, 46, is in Arizona for the interview. He joined the Steelers last year as their coordinator after the team did not renew the contract of Bruce Arians. Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, had been fired as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs near the end of the 2011 season, his third year on the job.
Haley served as offensive coordinator with the Cardinals in 2007 and 2008 and reportedly has a good relationship with Arizona president Michael Bidwill.
The Steelers granted the Cardinals permission last week to talk to Haley. Arizona officials also have interviewed their defensive coordinator, Ray Horton, for the job. Horton is a former Steelers secondary coach.
Coincidentally, the Arizona head coaching job came open when another former Steelers offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, was fired.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/arizona-interviewing-steelers-haley-for-top-job-669646/#ixzz2HVwiriOz

Hindes204
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Bouchette says yes, agent says no, Rooney says yes, agent says no...Arizona says no comment. What the hell is going on??

stillers4me
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Straight from the top of the food chain...

Mike Bires‏@mikebires
Art Rooney II said that Todd Haley is interviewing today for the Cardinals' head coaching job at an undisclosed location

steelreserve
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Well, hopefully he shows up stoned and doesn't get the job.

salamander
01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I would personally hate to see him leave because I'd like to see what a healthy Ben could do under Haley's offense for a whole season.

Count Steeler
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I would personally hate to see him leave because I'd like to see what a healthy Ben could do under Haley's offense for a whole season.

I wish so too. However, I wonder if Ben can make it through a full season. That is why they need to take care of the backup QB situation this off season.

salamander
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I wish so too. However, I wonder if Ben can make it through a full season. That is why they need to take care of the backup QB situation this off season.

I agree with you 110%.

SteelerFanInStl
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
This sucks. Everyone is finally comfortable with the new system, now we're going to change it again. Sheash.

He's not gone yet.

steelerdude15
01-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Well, hopefully he shows up stoned and doesn't get the job.

:rofl2: