PDA

View Full Version : BIG BEN'S MIRACLE TACKLE

polamalubeast
01-03-2013, 04:15 PM
On Jan. 15, 2006, the sixth-seeded Steelers led the top-seeded and heavily favored Colts 21-18 with 1:20 left in an AFC divisional playoff game. Pittsburgh had the ball first-and-goal at the Colts' 2-yard line and naturally turned to Jerome Bettis, the bruising veteran running back who hadn't fumbled all season. Bettis took the handoff and followed fullback Dan Kreider toward the end zone. Then, the unthinkable happened: Colts linebacker Gary Brackett speared the ball out of Bettis' arms, and cornerback Nick Harper scooped up the ball and headed off to the races. The only Steelers player with a chance to stop him was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ...

read more

http://espn.go.com/nfl/feature/moment/_/page/RoethlisbergerTackle/big-ben-game-saving-tackle-jan-15-2006

ALLD
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Good thing Harper's wife took Ray Lewis lessons and hobbled him enough so Ben could make the textbook tackle going backward.

43Hitman
01-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Talk about an emotional roller coaster for the last few minutes of that game. The Troy pick that was overturned, to the fumble by Bettis and then the eventual win.

tube517
01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I was on life support after the fumble and tackle

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

stillers4me
01-03-2013, 06:09 PM
OMG>>>>>I remember standing right in front of the TV when Jerome fumbled that ball. I was on the floor by the time Ben grabbed that guys ankle. :lol:

salamander
01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I was watching the game with my family and I just remember my mom screaming "GET HIM!! OH MY GOD SOMEONE GET HIM!" as Harper was running down the field. :lol: :lol:

ALLD
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Vandershank ensured the win.

touchdownward
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Peyton helped us out by gunning for the endzone instead of trying to get the kicker a better shot too. I was a train wreck after that game!

BnG_Hevn
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Isn't that referenced as simply "The Tackle"????

- - - Updated - - -

Watching games like that allow you to say "I saw it" to your grandkids down the road.

steel striker
01-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I'll never forget that game and, my heart dropped when Bettis fumbled. Ben saved the day! I was like somebody gots to tackle him! NOOOOOOOOOO!

katmandu
01-06-2013, 12:44 AM
One of the greatest plays in Steeler history!

Someone post a GIF of that play.

stillers4me
01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoT7FpEAcs

43Hitman
01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoT7FpEAcs

Thanks for sharing that Stillers4me. When Pete Morelli(sp) overturned that interception, I wanted to go up to Indy and wring his neck.

SteelerEmpire
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I remember it well. I was at work listening to this game on the radio. There was a guy from Pittsburgh in my office (a Steelers fan) and I told him that I think the Steelers has what it takes to win the SB. He disagreed and said, "the Steelers ain't gonna do nothin this year". I just smiled and quietly chuckled...

But yea. I kind of had a "partial" heart attack when Jerome fumbled that ball... but I "knew" that this team could (and did) pull it off because there was too much time left. If this current roster had that kind of "heart and resolve", they would be feared through-out the league... and I would say they had what it takes to win the SB.