PDA

View Full Version : Is It Wrong for Me to Be Excited about Next Year's Team Already?

Craic
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I know we had problems this year - but I think there is significant reasons to be excited:

O line. We are returning with the best O-line we've had since the Superbowl year of 2005/6. Starting on the left side, Starks may or may not be back. He has not had any luck in FA in the past, and hopefully, it remains that way so we can bring him back in. Even if we don't, there's options here. LG has a nice one-two punch of Willie C. and Foster. Foster says he wants to come back and he played well on this side in lieu of Willie C. Added to the mix, if Starks leaves and we don't like the LT's that we have, Willie C. can kick out to LT, or even Foster can, without much drop off. Center is set for starter and backup - have to wonder if any other team has the talent pool at center that we do. Sure is nice after the couple years we went through. RG will be fine with DeCastro, who is still coming back from a knee surgery. A year learning the system and an entire offseason to work through things and learn the system even more will be more than what he needs. RT, IMO, is Adams's to lose. He was great in run blocking, and only the top 10 or 15 percent of NFL LE's could put moves on him and get by in pass downs once he got the hang of the position - and all of this is in his rookie year. All of this means, that next year for the first time in quite a while, we may be going into camp with the same guys we went into camp with this year, and pretty much know the positions they will be in. If they can stay healthy, this line can now gel together, and I think they have the ability to be a force to be reckoned with in the coming decade.

WR's - this years distractions will be over. Either Wallace will be back with a contract, or he'll be gone. Sanders and Brown have seen what happens when they're not focused. The team's been in the new offense for a year now, so there's a much larger comfort level. Also, we have two older receivers in Cotchery and (possibly) Burress who knows what it takes to get things done. If they can provide a little leadership (filling the void Hines left, I'm amazed that very few people have pointed that out concerning our WR issues), I think we're looking a different season all together than this year.

RB's - this is the only issue that I'm still split on. Mendy's probably gone for all intents and purposes, unless something unreal happens. Honestly, I liked the burst Redman was showing in the later games. He was looking faster than I've seen before. Dwyer put a few HARD licks on people down the stretch and fought for a number of tough yards. I don't think however, that we have that top tier back. The question is, do we need one? I'm thinking yes, but I'm will to wait and see.

QB - no issue with the starter. Sure he struggled down the stretch for whatever reason. He's earned the grace to just let it go and see what he does next year. I worry about our backups, but they're backups. We'll pick up a couple of them and keep on trucking.

TE - yes, the loss to Miller hurts, and the possibility of not having him back at the beginning of next year hurts even more. However, we DO have other TE's that can catch the ball - and other TE's that can block as well.

___

Defense. This defense was DOMINANT. Yes, I use the word DOMINANT in caps. We were dominant in pass defense. There were only 6 teams that allowed fewer TD's than we did, no teams that allowed fewer passing yards than we did, 3 teams that allowed fewer yards per completion than we did, and five teams that allowed a smaller completion percentage than we did. We were dominant in run defense: Second in rush yards per game, 3rd in rush yards per attempt, 6th in rush TDs per game, and first in total rush yards allowed. We were dominant in not allowing TD's, with only three teams allowing fewer TD's than we did.

The problem was that we were 12th in most FG's allowed. Now, when you take the lack of ability moving the ball against us, and add to that the number of fieldgoals made against us, that points to one issue. The offense not moving the ball/turnovers.

Special Teams: We were 29th in punt returns, with 7.2 Punt return yards per return (think of all the good returns brought back by penalty). We were ninth in KR's. Moreover, we were 14th in total amount of kick returns this year, and 10th in total number of punt returns this year. We were 25th in yards per punt. However, our punter put the ball inside the 20 35 times, which makes him tied for third place, though we were sixth in teams that punted the most. Last, in total NET yards per punt, we were 10th best.

Suisham? Gold this year. He missed three FG's, two over fifty yards and one was a short one that was a bad snap (if I remember right).

All of that to say, There really is nowhere that this team was poor this year, except in punt returns. If we just fix that, I think we change field position enough that our defense shuts down the field goals. That also gives our offense better field position to drive from.

In short, there is very little that really is wrong with this team overall. Sure, we see the glaring things here and there, but they average out, and that we normally DON'T see. Thus, if we don't blow up this team, bring back it's core, especially it's younger core, and can just remain a bit healthier next year, there's no reason we aren't number 1 in the AFCN again and headed into the playoffs as a dominant team to be watch out for.

Yeah, I'm getting excited about next year already.

steelreserve
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I think it's wrong to get excited about next year at least until the hated Patriots are eliminated from contention this year. That's my rule.

Nadroj 20
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Not at all wrong! These are the types of seasons that get people ready to forget about the previous year and look toward the next season.

Kind of like getting beat up in a game and you can't wait to get back on the field to redeem yourself.

polamalubeast
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
No,but the turnovers differencial need to improve(-13 in 2011 and -10 in 2012)....This is the key....

also more big play on offense,defense and ST

Count Steeler
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Our staff also has an extra 2 months to plan for next year and not be involved in the playoffs. I expect a strong draft this year from Colbert.

I hope we settle all coaching issues and personnel long before the end of training camp (Everest).

vasteeler
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
no way preach. im already excited as hell for next season

and yes steelreserve that always makes it better

Moose
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
To answer your question.... YES. It's wrong to get excited already before knowing what we pick up in the draft, if anyone good. We've been needing safeties and CB's for how many year's now ? We need a good back up QB to start grooming. Offensive line work. A lot of work needed. I'm not excited at all for next year. Just think of the stupidity...." doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". If the FO does nothing to improve, expect the same next year.

steelreserve
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
To answer your question.... YES. It's wrong to get excited already before knowing what we pick up in the draft, if anyone good. We've been needing safeties and CB's for how many year's now ? We need a good back up QB to start grooming. Offensive line work. A lot of work needed. I'm not excited at all for next year. Just think of the stupidity...." doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". If the FO does nothing to improve, expect the same next year.

How in the hell do we need to work on the offensive line any more? We've drafted two guys in the first round and two in the second over the past three seasons. That's the one place we ought to be FINE. Now if only we could keep every single one of them from missing most of the season with injury...

SteelerEmpire
01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
If the players are SERIOUS about how disappointed they are about this season, I'm excited about next year. But part of me thinks too many of em are around just to get a paycheck.

steelreserve
01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
If the players are SERIOUS about how disappointed they are about this season, I'm excited about next year. But part of me thinks too many of em are around just to get a paycheck.

I think the players have already started making it clear through their postseason comments who's bought in and motivated, who's just in it for the money.

Lewis: "I don't want to leave, I like playing here."
Foster: "I want to come back, I like my teammates and think we have a lot of potential."
Foote: "I hope I can come back, it's my first choice if they'll have me."
Wallace: "I, uh .. yeah, this place uh .. it might be all right I guess - FUCK Y'ALL I'M GETTIN ♪♪♪PAAAIIIYED♪♪♪" (does pelvic thrust dance)

... fortunately, the free agency process will help with some of the weeding out of those players FOR us.

HollywoodSteel
01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
What do you think about our cap issues and age on defense? I think Harrison, if healthy, definitely has another good year in him but he is a big cap hit. What about Troy? I think we have to readjust his contract for him to be worth the money. I'm really hoping this is possible but I can't say for certain that we can afford to be that optimistic. And what about Foote? I can't see anyone coming in and be able to play that position in our defense as a rookie so we might have to hope that he can be as good as he was this year while groom someone new or maybe Spence if he is even able to play at all next year.

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
we were sixth in teams that punted the most. Last, in total NET yards per punt

im ridiculously excited as well. those 2 statistics are really disturbing though. didnt realize it was that bad

fansince'76
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I think the players have already started making it clear through their postseason comments who's bought in and motivated, who's just in it for the money.

Lewis: "I don't want to leave, I like playing here."
Foster: "I want to come back, I like my teammates and think we have a lot of potential."
Foote: "I hope I can come back, it's my first choice if they'll have me."
Wallace: "I, uh .. yeah, this place uh .. it might be all right I guess - FUCK Y'ALL I'M GETTIN ♪♪♪PAAAIIIYED♪♪♪" (does pelvic thrust dance)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Craic
01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
What do you think about our cap issues and age on defense? I think Harrison, if healthy, definitely has another good year in him but he is a big cap hit. What about Troy? I think we have to readjust his contract for him to be worth the money. I'm really hoping this is possible but I can't say for certain that we can afford to be that optimistic. And what about Foote? I can't see anyone coming in and be able to play that position in our defense as a rookie so we might have to hope that he can be as good as he was this year while groom someone new or maybe Spence if he is even able to play at all next year.

I tempted to ask "what" age issue on defense. Start with the safeties. Will Allen filled in for Troy, and our put the stop on teams in the fourth quarter - and it probably had the best run of the season while he was back there. That's not to say he's better than Troy. Not by a long shot. But rather, that losing Troy isn't the shot to the right nut it used to be.

It sounds like we're getting our 3 top CB's back. At this point, I'm excited about every one of them.

LB's - Worlids filled in for Harrison and while he wasn't punishing, he did reasonably well. That just leaves Foote - and somehow at that position, older LB's can play very well. Foote probably had his best season of his career this year. So I'm not worried about him at all.

Up front, Hood has been starting for a while, Heywhateverhisnameis should be stepping in at any moment, and we have a couple guys that can play NT.

So I'm not too worried about age at all. Matter of fact, if we can exist under the cap for another year or two, I think we get a massive amount of cap room when Troy and Harrison retire - enough to sign guys coming up on their second contract.

tube517
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm excited too. September 2013 can't come soon enough.

zulater
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm excited for the draft and OTA's to begin.

As far as next year's team is concerned, until I see what happens with some of the free agents and guys nearing the end of the line it's hard to figure out what direction they're going in? :noidea:

Austin87
01-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Very excited about next season. We should be able to pick up some talent in the upcoming draft.

Count Steeler
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Cap issues, cap issues, cap issues. I reverse my above stated excitement until we get our cap situation sorted out. I'm starting to think it is going to get ugly.

SteelGhost
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
QB - no issue with the starter. Sure he struggled down the stretch for whatever reason. He's earned the grace to just let it go and see what he does next year. I worry about our backups, but they're backups. We'll pick up a couple of them and keep on trucking.

While we had not issues with Ben, the backup position MUST be addressed IMHO.

Nice post Preacher by the way :thumbsup:

Craic
01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Cap issues, cap issues, cap issues. I reverse my above stated excitement until we get our cap situation sorted out. I'm starting to think it is going to get ugly.

I'm not so sure of that - again, because the guys with the big caps, except for Ben, have shown this year that they are expendable to a certain degree.

steelreserve
01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm not so sure of that - again, because the guys with the big caps, except for Ben, have shown this year that they are expendable to a certain degree.

Yeah, but for half of them, we'd eat most of that (or more than that) in dead money, so we can't do anything about it. Taylor, Colon, Woodley (ugh). Ben and Brown and Miller and Timmons aren't going anywhere. Harrison could go but he's one of the few who proved he's worth it. That leaves Troy and Keisel in the $3M+ club.

They'll probably end up kicking the can down the road again by restructuring Ben, Timmons and (ugh) Woodley, which saves us money short term but locks us even more into the duration of their contracts. I bet Ben is going to have a cap hit of something like $25M in a couple years. Maybe we let Keisel go too out of that bunch. The thing is not going to get cleared up for real until Harrison and 3/4 of our defensive backfield retires, which is a problem in and of itself.

GodfatherofSoul
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm still too depressed about the way this season ended. Something has to happen to get me pumped up besides homer articles about next year; like signing Adrian Peterson and Megatron.

HollywoodSteel
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Are you suggesting that we straight up cut Harrison and Troy? I don't think we have anything close to a Harrison replacement right now and I'd rather use early picks on ILB and safety. Plus, as Steelreserve points out, we would still take a hit if we cut him so we probably try some other financial gymnastics with him. We could cut Troy without a hit (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) but the thought of cutting Troy makes me ill.

Also a lot of the guys you are excited about are free agents. We still have to make new deals with them that we can't afford even if we cut Troy and Hampton. It'll be interesting to see Omar earn his money this offseason.

Craic
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Are you suggesting that we straight up cut Harrison and Troy? I don't think we have anything close to a Harrison replacement right now and I'd rather use early picks on ILB and safety. Plus, as Steelreserve points out, we would still take a hit if we cut him so we probably try some other financial gymnastics with him. We could cut Troy without a hit (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) but the thought of cutting Troy makes me ill.

Also a lot of the guys you are excited about are free agents. We still have to make new deals with them that we can't afford even if we cut Troy and Hampton. It'll be interesting to see Omar earn his money this offseason.

In looking at this team for long term, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Harrison was playing what, a third to half the downs for most of the season? Troy wasn't even in there, and yet, our defense was the best I've seen in decades in stopping teams in the fourth quarter. Even once we were losing games again, we lost them because of our offense.

Do I want Troy or James gone? Absolutely not, but in this time of salary cap purgatory something needs to be done. Either we sacrifice our young talent and FA's, letting them go to keep our older players, or continue the youth movement and building for the future. If there's a way Omar can get it done without either, I'd be ecstatic, I just don't think there is.

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
its starting to get scary how much this restructuring stuff is coming back to bite us. i dont know if the salary caps by the year on here are accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

but assuming they are, it seems like even the increase in the salary cap that usually occurs (just our luck, it doesnt increase this season) wont be enough to stop us from either succumbing or cutting a bunch of players unexpectedly. our window truly is now or never, and i dont blame the organization for this approach with the talent we currently have

GBMelBlount
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Great post preach. I agree with just about everything you are saying.

In fact, I felt this way last year.

I really think we have the personnel to go all the way.

I think this season (like most) will come down to injuries, our younger players stepping up and the coaches, starting with Tomlin, getting serious about winning again.

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Bump.

I would love to feel this optimistic about next year again. I think once the cap is cleared (by March 12), we will know what we are facing next season.

Shoes
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Hopefully Dan kicks Art II where the sun doesn't shine, Tomlin puts his big boy pants on..... and the players do what their paid to do. I'm thinking that might happen, so I'm upbeat about next season.

BlastFurnace
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
The team will go.as far as Ben takes them...just like every other year.

With Ben = Good expectations
Without Ben = 5-11 or worse

Gotta keep the big man healthy.