PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Steelers offense must excel in 2013

stillers4me
01-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Let‘s assume, for argument‘s sake, that the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)‘ defense created seven to 10 more turnovers for their offense this year.

Why do we automatically assume things would be any different?

That players and coaches would be preparing for a playoff game instead of saying their goodbyes and preparing for the offseason?

After all, we‘re talking about a Steelers attack that finished No. 14 in passing offense, No. 20 in total offense and No. 22 in scoring offense under franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Isn‘t it enough that the Steelers‘ defense led the NFL in pass defense and total defense for the second consecutive season? Or that the defense also finished No. 2 in run defense and No. 7 in scoring defense in 2012?

I find it ironic that both of the Steelers voted to the Pro Bowl this year play offense and that none of their defensive teammates was invited to Hawaii. How is that possible? .............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3219498-74/offense-defense-steelers#ixzz2GokJeNKS

GBMelBlount
01-02-2013, 06:52 AM
In the three seasons that Roethlisberger led his team to the Super Bowl, the Steelers never finished higher than No. 14 in passing offense or total offense. In a league consisting of 32 teams, that‘s barely above average.....

Roethlisberger has played on five teams that led the league in total defense.

Imagine how many Super Bowls Tom Brady could win if he played with a dominant defense.

It‘s probably asking too much to expect the Steelers to lead the league in total defense in 2013 for a third consecutive season.

However, it isn‘t asking too much to expect the offense to play better.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3219498-74/offense-defense-steelers#ixzz2Gp1oyQUO
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

X-Terminator
01-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Three things have to happen if the offense is to improve next season:

1. The OL must stay healthy.
2. They must find a way to run the ball more effectively.
3. Take care of the football.

It's really that simple. The offensive scheme itself is fine and does not need to be changed, and they certainly have talent. This is also another veiled shot at Roethlisberger, otherwise Marsha wouldn't have been brought into the article. Nice try, Mr. Harris.

GBMelBlount
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Three things have to happen if the offense is to improve next season:

1. The OL must stay healthy.
2. They must find a way to run the ball more effectively.
3. Take care of the football.

It's really that simple. The offensive scheme itself is fine and does not need to be changed, and they certainly have talent. This is also another veiled shot at Roethlisberger, otherwise Marsha wouldn't have been brought into the article. Nice try, Mr. Harris.

I agree.

The ONE thing that has been consistent about our offense during Ben's tenure is poor offensive line performance.

Fix the trenches and everything else may just fall in place.

SteelerEmpire
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
WHAT !? This team has an offense !!!???

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
we need playmakers to step up for the holes wallace and miller are likely going to leave as well

X-Terminator
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
we need playmakers to step up for the holes wallace and miller are likely going to leave as well

Um, Miller isn't going anywhere. He signed a 5-year extension 2 years ago.

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM

regarding his injury if he misses time

zulater
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM

I think he's going under the assumption that Heath could miss a significant portion of next season.
Which hopefully wont be the cae, but the Steelers probably need to prepare for it all the same.

Ben Watson's a UFA, I wouldn't mind them bringing him in.

X-Terminator
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
regarding his injury if he misses time

I think he's going under the assumption that Heath could miss a significant portion of next season.
Which hopefully wont be the cae, but the Steelers probably need to prepare for it all the same.

Ben Watson's a UFA, I wouldn't mind them bringing him in.

OK, gotcha. But I don't think he's going to miss any time. Adrian Peterson tore his ACL last December, and he came back to have one of the greatest individual seasons in NFL history. I suspect he will be ready for the start of the season.

zulater
01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
OK, gotcha. But I don't think he's going to miss any time. Adrian Peterson tore his ACL last December, and he came back to have one of the greatest individual seasons in NFL history. I suspect he will be ready for the start of the season.

Max Starks was also back week one from a similiar injury incurred later in the season than A.P. . But Rashard Mendenhall wasn't ready for a month off his knee injury.

Every injury and every body is different in the rate they heal. So if you're the Steelers you've got to have a strong plan B in place in case Heath isn't ready to go early in the season.