PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Harrison, Polamalu feeling healthier, set for productive offseason

stillers4me
01-02-2013, 05:39 AM
For the first time in their nine seasons together in Pittsburgh, James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are close to being 100 percent healthy as the NFL playoffs begin.

That partly explains why the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) (8-8) will be only watching when the postseason starts this weekend.

The Steelers defense was No. 1 statistically for the fourth time in six seasons but, performance-wise, didn‘t play at the level coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau envisioned during training camp. Not coincidentally, Harrison and Polamalu, two former Defensive Players of the Year, weren‘t close to being at their physical peaks for a majority of the disappointing season.............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3224207-74/polamalu-harrison-season#ixzz2GojadHV9

zulater
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
It's great they're both feeling good now, but it's a helluva gamble to go into another season counting on them to be difference makers on our defense and provide the majority of splash plays for it. Which I think was the plan early this year.

Just wait until those guys are both healthy and then we'll really turn it on. Meanwhile we lose two games largely on account of our defense that we had no business losing and essentially dug a hole too deep to get out of once the offense started to implode over it's own injuries.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is? I just honestly don't think you can count on either to play the majority of next season as impact players. And if you go down that path again you'll probably end up watching next seasons playoffs on tv again.

NJarhead
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I thought for sure there would be an Onion link attached. :lol:

Craic
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
It's great they're both feeling good now, but it's a helluva gamble to go into another season counting on them to be difference makers on our defense and provide the majority of splash plays for it. Which I think was the plan early this year.

Just wait until those guys are both healthy and then we'll really turn it on. Meanwhile we lose two games largely on account of our defense that we had no business losing and essentially dug a hole too deep to get out of once the offense started to implode over it's own injuries.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is? I just honestly don't think you can count on either to play the majority of next season as impact players. And if you go down that path again you'll probably end up watching next seasons playoffs on tv again.

I don't know. If our offense played even close to it's ability in any of the last few games (besides the Browns), we'd be in the playoffs. I have a hard time blaming the defense at all. As I posted somewhere else, sacks just aren't a statistic to be concerned about anymore. Sure, it's nice to get them, especially on third down. But other than that, with this league being such a passing league, a 5 yard sack really doesn't hurt an offense that much. How many times have we seen teams get 6, 8, 10 yards on a third down play?

INT's are different, but again as I said before, the only difference really, is a shorter field. With this defense producing a number of 3 and outs this year, it really is the equivalent of a INT on a deep pass.

I thought for sure there would be an Onion link attached. :lol:

It sure sounded like it, didn't it?!

steelreserve
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
protip: You're supposed to be healthy for the season and recovering over the offseason. YOU'RE DOING IT BACKWARDS.

Austin87
01-03-2013, 07:30 AM
protip: You're supposed to be healthy for the season and recovering over the offseason. YOU'RE DOING IT BACKWARDS.

This

Drazo85
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Polamalu needs to change his style a little bit, and i`m confident he can play at least 2-3 years at high level. He is game changer and we benefit from him being on the field. I know situations aren`t comparable because style of play but i will do it anyway: Ed Reed contemplated retirement two or three years ago, he returned and is still a force in this league. Not as he is used to be, but that is normal given the circumstances (age and talent on Ravens D). I`m would love to see that with Troy.

ALLD
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
How many tackles do they plan on making during the offseason?

Moose
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm really glad they are both healthy now ! Hope they don't 'fall off the couch" while watching the play-offs. Going to definitely be a tough decision for the team to make on them for next season. Do you risk a repeat of this year ?

43Hitman
01-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Yeah man, those Oakland and Tennessee games left a huge blemish on the season. We had no business losing either of those games.