PDA

View Full Version : Imagine that, Plax contributing to win

zulater
01-01-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mike_bires/imagine-that-plax-contributing-to-win/article_ac20d76c-bb11-5653-bc35-5cfeb6bd4048.html

Let the record show that the Steelers’ final touchdown of a madcap season was scored by Plaxico Burress.
How bizarre is that?
There was Plax, taking a couple bows in the end zone with 3:20 left to play after clinching a win that allowed the Steelers to finish a ho-hum 8-8.
The whole Burress dilemma was one of many mysteries in a season of hope that ended in failure.
After re-acquiring Burress on Nov. 20, the Steelers never knew quite what to do with him. It wasn’t until the season finale, Sunday's 24-10 win over the Browns, that coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley finally put him to good use.
In a game in which no Steelers’ receiver was targeted more than three times or caught more than two passes, Burress proved that at age 35 he could still make significant plays.
He caught two passes, each for 12 yards. He also accounted for 12 penalty yards by drawing a pass interference flag against Cleveland star cornerback Joe Haden.
The touchdown was classic Burress, a high ball from Ben Roethlisberger thrown where only a big man could get it.
It was a classic red zone mismatch: Burress, at 6-foot-5, matched up man-to-man against the 5-11 Haden.
Touchdown, Steelers.
Take a bow, Plax.

zulater
01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
So here's my question. With the Steelers having to prepare for the possibility of not having Heath Miller available for at least some portion of the season, and not really having another tall receiver on the roster, did this one play insure that Plax gets a contract from the Steelers for 2013?

To me the answer is an emphatic yes!

Burress has good hands, and creates mismatches with his height so even if he doesn't gain seperation there will be plays there to be made with a well placed pass that are virtually undefendable with single coverage.

Or a more simple way of saying it is just as a red zone threat alone he's worth bringing back to the Steelers next season.

salamander
01-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I'd like to keep him for at least a year. The few catches I saw him make were awesome.

zulater
01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I'd like to keep him for at least a year. The few catches I saw him make were awesome.

Yeah he catches the ball in traffic pretty well. I think he can help convert 3rd downs too. You can't coach height, and a 6' cb against Plax with that wingspan is at a huge disadvantage.

GBMelBlount
01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Burress is a good complement to our core of receivers.

1. Brown
2. Sanders
3. Cotchery
...4. Burress

He is our only big receiver, is a proven red zone target and at vet min he is a good value.

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I'd like to see Plax back but it's going to depend on what he wants for a contract. If he'll take vet minimum, that'd be great.

Count Steeler
01-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Could be the diamond has finally emerged. I'll take him at the right price.

zulater
01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd like to see Plax back but it's going to depend on what he wants for a contract. If he'll take vet minimum, that'd be great.

Being as he sat unemployed for the majority of this season I would say it's a pretty safe bet you can get him for that.

stillers4me
01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Burress is a good complement to our core of receivers.

1. Brown
2. Sanders
3. Cotchery
...4. Burress

He is our only big receiver, is a proven red zone target and at vet min he is a good value.

I can live with that!

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Being as he sat unemployed for the majority of this season I would say it's a pretty safe bet you can get him for that.

I would think so too but you just never know.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
since we can get him at vet minimium, sounds like a good insurance policy since heath is probably going to miss some games

ALLD
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Sweed!

Steeldude
01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
When he was here DBs didn't have a problem covering him in the endzone.

If they keep him I hope he keeps his mouth shut.

steelreserve
01-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I think the main part of this little audition was seeing if he could shut the hell up and not be a diva. Since he accomplished that, seems likely he'll be back, because he does have a good use. If they can get him for anything less than what Wallace was making under the RFA tag, which is pretty likely, I say they do it.

fansince'76
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Problem is, he's getting a bit long in the tooth and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. I am thankful that he seems to have finally grown up, though.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Problem is, he's getting a bit long in the tooth and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. I am thankful that he seems to have finally grown up, though.

replaced? he was always going to be a stop gap guy at this stage in his career. no confidence in sanders?

fansince'76
01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
replaced? he was always going to be a stop gap guy at this stage in his career. no confidence in sanders?

True, but I am thinking about Wallace's departure as well, which I feel is a foregone conclusion at this point.

Steeldude
01-01-2013, 01:38 PM

It's amazing how some people need to be shot and thrown in prison to grow up : )

GBMelBlount
01-01-2013, 02:18 PM
It's amazing how some people need to be shot and thrown in prison to grow up : )

Nothing like a little self inflicted maturity. :chuckle:

Mojouw
01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
When he was here DBs didn't have a problem covering him in the endzone.

If they keep him I hope he keeps his mouth shut.

Gotta agree with that. In his 11 year career, Plax only has 2 seasons with double digit touchdowns. If I have to keep hearing about how his height creates mismatches, I'm gonna puke. Burress is the shortest 6'5" WR ever. He was no more than a stopgap solution this season and I hope they continue to attempt to find a young WR with potential to serve as the designated tall guy.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 02:27 PM
True, but I am thinking about Wallace's departure as well, which I feel is a foregone conclusion at this point.

thats why i was asking. no one seems thrilled about the increased opportunities sanders will be getting next season

zulater
01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
thats why i was asking. no one seems thrilled about the increased opportunities sanders will be getting next season

I'm excited by Sanders getting moved up in the receiver rotation.

That has nothing to do with Plax though, who I see as a solid red zone target and 4th wr behind Brown, Wallace and Cotchery.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta agree with that. In his 11 year career, Plax only has 2 seasons with double digit touchdowns. If I have to keep hearing about how his height creates mismatches, I'm gonna puke. Burress is the shortest 6'5" WR ever. He was no more than a stopgap solution this season and I hope they continue to attempt to find a young WR with potential to serve as the designated tall guy.

He caught 8 td passes in 2011 with Sanshit throwing him the ball. In real qb years you can double that total to 16. :lol:

KeiselPower99
01-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Id like to have him back but dont see it with Cotchery making 1.5 million.

ALLD
01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Cotchery is a solid hands guy and decent route runner, Plax is just a little more slick. Cotch still has two more seasons left in him while Plax has one at best.

steelerdude15
01-01-2013, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't mind having Plax come back. He's seem to have matured from the last time he was here and if his contract is small, I'd say jump on it.

43Hitman
01-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm really excited to see what Sanders can do with more playing time next season. I just hope he's finally shed the injury bug.

Seven
01-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with Plaxico staying. But I wanted Dave Gilreath to get some serious consideration on the active roster next season. He's small, but ran really well when he was on the field for us this season. I'm glad Tampa didn't hold on to him.