PDA

View Full Version : "Haley Was An 8-8 Offensive Coordinator"

86WARD
12-31-2012, 01:46 PM
...said Mike Tomlin.

Ouch.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/tomlin-all-but-guarantees-that-lebeau-will-be-back/article_b37b7fd8-5373-11e2-b4fa-0019bb30f31a.html

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Not entirely fair, considering Roethlisberger's injury.

GBMelBlount
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I cannot believe Haley allowed so many injuries and turnovers.

Off with his head.

Chidi29
12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Tomlin uses that phrase all the time.

Nothing to see here.

st33lersguy
12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Wow! Tomlin has no right to insult any coach. Tomlin was the clueless idiot that oversaw this massively underperforming team lose to crap team after crap team, awful coach after awful coach, and did NOTHING to correct the flaws. Haley just oversaw an offense that sputtered and rapidly declined in the 2nd half of the season. He had nothing to do with the losses to Oakland or Tennessee, nor the awful special teams

zulater
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Tomlin uses that phrase all the time.

Nothing to see here.

Really? You sure about that?

Read it in context and I'm not so sure.

During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.
Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.
But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A fine man, a fine coach.”
But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said “He was an 8-8 (offensive) coordinator as I was an 8-8 head coach.”

Now obviously at the end he throws himself under the proverbial bus as well.

But if as has long been rumored the Arians firing came from up above, and Tomlin wasn't comletely onbard with the neccessity of change last season, then maybe he's letting those above him know that he's not exactly thrilled with the work of the OC this year, such as it was.

SteelerFanInStl
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Taking just part of the quote is a bit misleading.

But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said “He was an 8-8 (offensive) coordinator as I was an 8-8 head coach.”

Tomlin isn't saying anything more about Haley than he's saying about himself.

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
But if as has long been rumored the Arians firing came from up above, and Tomlin wasn't comletely onbard with the neccessity of change last season, then maybe he's letting those above him know that he's not exactly thrilled with the work of the OC this year, such as it was.

:tomlinism:

:chuckle:

Chidi29
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Really? You sure about that?

Read it in context and I'm not so sure.

During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.
Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.
But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A fine man, a fine coach.”

Now obviously at the end he throws himself under the proverbial bus as well.

I haven't listened to the questions yet, but I assume someone asked "Is LeBeau coming back?" and then someone asked, "How do you evaluate Haley's job as an OC?". So they're different questions.

Psycho Ward 86
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
ouch. well, he isnt wrong, regardless of injuries. Hopefully next year we can cut our list of offensive players that miss 1 or more games (Big Ben, Brown, Colon, Decastro, Wallace, Pouncey, Adams, Gilbert, DJ, Leftwich, Cotchery, and Miller) by at least friggin half so we can see what haley can do with a semi-banged up offense. just like arians, im willing to give him a shot.

zulater
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM

Tomlin isn't saying anything more about Haley than he's saying about himself.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Or he could be saying, I was an 8-8 coach because of that idiot they made me hire. :lol: :wink02:

Craic
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM

Tomlin isn't saying anything more about Haley than he's saying about himself.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I actually had that part cut and was about to paste it to make the exact same point.

Seven
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Coach Haley left a lot to be desired this season. Something I was afraid of when the hire was made - his system is very much the same as it was in Kansas City. And unfortunately, at least this year, simply adding Ben and superior talents at other positions didn't translate into success. I bet Haley was surprised his schemes didn't take off. Hopefully, if he sticks around, he'll realize he needs to expand upon what he has been doing. Because the talent is there.

GBMelBlount
12-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Coach Haley left a lot to be desired this season. Something I was afraid of when the hire was made - his system is very much the same as it was in Kansas City. And unfortunately, at least this year, simply adding Ben and superior talents at other positions didn't translate into success. I bet Haley was surprised his schemes didn't take off. Hopefully, if he sticks around, he'll realize he needs to expand upon what he has been doing. Because the talent is there.

I think it is WAY too early to say.

In fact, before Ben's injury:

They were 6-3

Sacks were down considerably

3rd down efficiency was #1 in the nfl

They were scoring more points per game than last year.

Not saying Haley is the 2nd coming but there were A LOT of mitigating factors with regard to the offense tanking the last 7 games.

slippy
12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
if you actually watch the video you will see this thread is almost pointless. really nothing here.

tube517
12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
I think it is WAY too early to say.

In fact, before Ben's injury:

They were 6-3

Sacks were down considerably

3rd down efficiency was #1 in the nfl

They were scoring more points per game than last year.

Not saying Haley is the 2nd coming but there were A LOT of mitigating factors with regard to the offense tanking the last 7 games.

Agreed.

salamander
12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
If Ben didn't get hurt, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, but as they say... shit happens.

Count Steeler
01-01-2013, 01:11 AM
LeBeau shouldn't get a free pass either. Let's not forget the blown games early in the season.

Regardless, Tomlin better be disappointed that this team finished 8-8. Even with the injuries, this team could have easily finished 10-6 or 11-5.

GoSlash27
01-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Drama, drama, and drama.

I haven't listened to the questions yet, but I assume someone asked "Is LeBeau coming back?" and then someone asked, "How do you evaluate Haley's job as an OC?". So they're different questions.
I have listened to the questions, and you nailed it. Nuthin' to see here.

steel striker
01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
As far as the offense goes if it was not for all of the injuries completly different story. Hopefully next year we will find out what they can do. If they can stay somewhat intact.

Craic
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
As far as the offense goes if it was not for all of the injuries completly different story. Hopefully next year we will find out what they can do. If they can stay somewhat intact.

I keep hearing that, but the reality is, we've been having injuries and issues in the offense since we won the SB in 05/06. I ran figures a while back that showed, in comparison to defenses that we played this year, that our offense actually performed EXACTLY as expected throughout the entire year on an overall scale.

GodfatherofSoul
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I keep hearing that, but the reality is, we've been having injuries and issues in the offense since we won the SB in 05/06. I ran figures a while back that showed, in comparison to defenses that we played this year, that our offense actually performed EXACTLY as expected throughout the entire year on an overall scale.

What do you mean by "as expected"?