PDA

View Full Version : I bet Wallace goes to the Patriots

steelreserve
12-31-2012, 04:00 AM
(note: this was triggered by a post in another thread, so I wrote it as a response to that...)

The lack of effort put forth by Wallace in his contract year is unsettling. IMO, if he is given a huge contract the lack of effort will become worse.

Who knows. He could be one of those guys who is all pouty when he doesn't get his way, so he was unhappy over the RFA tag and wore it on his sleeve all year. Then when he gets $11M, he has his happiness and motivation and wants to be the best in the league and win championships. Who knows.

The one thing I hope above all else doesn't happen is that he goes to the goddamn Patriots, because:

1. That's the one place where they can get guys like that to try for a year or two.
2. That's the one place where they can also use them effectively because they have a gay but accurate QB.
3. They have $10M in cap space coming free, that they were already spending on receivers, because of the franchise tag on Wes Welker. So they can actually make a run at him without sacrificing anything. Shit.
4. They go 4-5 wide all the time and pass 40 times a game, and to someone like Wallace, he probably thinks they pass 70 times a game.
5. They have other receivers and TEs that will open things up and help Wallace as a statmonger.
6. They're a winning team and he wouldn't have to move all that far away.
7. Since Brady is gay, they all take turns banging his wife, so you get to sleep with a model a few times a season and who would pass that up.

The more I think about this, the more I want to bet people that's where he ends up, of all the goddamn places. I won't give you even money because hey, there's 31 other teams ... but anyone want to lay odds?

tube517
12-31-2012, 06:42 AM
7. Since Brady is gay, they all take turns banging his wife, so you get to sleep with a model a few times a season and who would pass that up.

:lol:

Shoes
12-31-2012, 07:38 AM
He just may....I know Bill likes him. But it's a free enterprise. Lot's of folks don't like Mike and want him gone, but they still want to control where he goes. Strange me thinks.

st33lersguy
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't care where Wallace the pass-dropping wide receiver goes, as long as he doesn't stays here, I'm fine

SteelerFanInStl
12-31-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't see the fit with the Pats. Quite frankly, they don't need him and he doesn't offer them anything that they don't already have.

Psycho Ward 86
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't see the fit with the Pats. Quite frankly, they don't need him and he doesn't offer them anything that they don't already have.

It's not a matter of needing him. It's about arming your best player to the teeth. The patriots have been doing that for years now to maximize brady's talents. And it works. The patriots have netted the highest scoring offense in nfl history that way in 2007, and people dont realize this, but they came DANGEROUSLY close to toppling that offense in terms of total points scored this season. It comes to a point where stopping an offense is not possible. The only hope is slowing it down. Superbowl XLV anyone?

the packers do it too

steelreserve
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
He just may....I know Bill likes him. But it's a free enterprise. Lot's of folks don't like Mike and want him gone, but they still want to control where he goes. Strange me thinks.

It's less about controlling where he goes than never wanting anything to go the Patriots' way. Any other team in the league is fine by me.

SteelerEmpire
12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
I hope the team keeps Wallace and I believe the coach's and front office want to keep him. But yes, there are a lot of fans that feel we don't need him. If he gets with the Patriots with Welker and that TE they've got working short routes, AND a "thread the needle" / accurate deep passer QB like Brady throwing to him, they will have an offense "similar" to the one the year they almost went 19-0... especially if the "old" Mike Wallace (the first 3 yrs Mike Wallace) comes back. Wallace's stats would be totally off the charts if a QB like Brady were throwing to him the past 3 or 4 yrs.

zulater
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
I hope the team keeps Wallace and I believe the coach's and front office want to keep him. But yes, there are a lot of fans that feel we don't need him. If he gets with the Patriots with Welker and that TE they've got working short routes, AND a "thread the needle" / accurate deep passer QB like Brady throwing to him, they will have an offense "similar" to the one the year they almost went 19-0... especially if the "old" Mike Wallace (the first 3 yrs Mike Wallace) comes back. Wallace's stats would be totally off the charts if a QB like Brady were throwing to him the past 3 or 4 yrs.

Newsflash. It has nothing to do with the fans. Wallace doesn't want to stay and the Steeler can't afford to keep him at the one year cap hit a franchise tag would require for 2013 .

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 01:05 PM

So it was Ben "holding him back?" Please. And outside of Brady, the Pats are even bigger cheapskates with player salaries than the Rooneys are constantly accused of being, so I seriously doubt he gets paid the way he wants to if he goes there.

Craic
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Newsflash. It has nothing to do with the fans. Wallace doesn't want to stay and the Steeler can't afford to keep him at the one year cap hit a franchise tag would require for 2013 .

That's not at all what Wallace said, where did you get that info?

Here's the biggest statement from him lately, unless he's just come out with something else.

"I don't know, we'll see," Wallace said about the possibility of returning to the Steelers. "I got big plans, no matter what the situation. I definitely got big plans for myself and my family. We'll see. Hopefully everything will go in a positive manner. I definitely consider [returning]. It's the team I've been on my whole career. I don't know anything else. I love playing here."

I read one neutral statement, and four statements about wanting to return. He speaks of plans for the family, and then speaks of staying in Pittsburgh

1. Hopefully everything will go in a positive manner.
2. I definitely consider returning.
3. Its the team I've been on my whole career. I don't know anything else.
4. I love playing here.

Just as I asked in the other thread to SR, how can that be read as "I don't want to stay?" There's a lot of assumption going on here, but I think they're not matching up to what Wallace is actually saying.

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
That's not at all what Wallace said, where did you get that info?

Here's the biggest statement from him lately, unless he's just come out with something else.

I read one neutral statement, and four statements about wanting to return. He speaks of plans for the family, and then speaks of staying in Pittsburgh

1. Hopefully everything will go in a positive manner.
2. I definitely consider returning.
3. Its the team I've been on my whole career. I don't know anything else.
4. I love playing here.

Just as I asked in the other thread to SR, how can that be read as "I don't want to stay?" There's a lot of assumption going on here, but I think they're not matching up to what Wallace is actually saying.

This is something Zu posted in another thread:

“I just want to be in a good situation, a good fit for myself, no matter if it‘s here or anywhere else,” said Wallace, an unrestricted free agent who was scratched from the game and placed on injured reserved with hip and hamstring injuries.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3213053-74/steelers-hampton-foote#ixzz2Gbb129Jj
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Doesn't sound to me like a guy who's itching to stay. He's beginning to remind me more and more of Rod Tidwell every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWtYvvp9u98

86WARD
12-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Wallace would be a PERFECT fit in New England. Take the top off that defense for Hernandez and Gronk and Edelman. Having him opposite if Lloyd? Brady would be in heaven with that line up.

zulater
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Wallace would be a PERFECT fit in New England. Take the top off that defense for Hernandez and Gronk and Edelman. Having him opposite if Lloyd? Brady would be in heaven with that line up.

If Wallace keeps running lazy routes he wouldn't even see the ball in New England. You round off your route once with Brady and you wont see the ball for the next 2 games.

Craic
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
This is something Zu posted in another thread:

I just want to be in a good situation, a good fit for myself, no matter if it‘s here or anywhere else,” said Wallace, an unrestricted free agent who was scratched from the game and placed on injured reserved with hip and hamstring injuries.

Doesn't sound to me like a guy who's itching to stay. He's beginning to remind me more and more of Rod Tidwell every day.

I get that, but that doesn't mean that "Wallace doesn't want stay," which is what I was responding to in Zu's post. It sounds like first, he wants to be someplace where he fits in and will be a productive part of the offense. Second, if that's the Steelers, then he's more than happy staying here. If it's not, then he'll leave. Third, he will balance that out with FA offers.

I'm just not sure what the "Get out of town" mentality concerning Wallace is all about, except that he held out at the beginning of the year, and then ended up only having a Bongtonio type season, where he dropped 45% of his passes. If people think those stats are not worth a contract and he should leave, then fine, but how that then correlates to "I want to leave" is far beyond me.

steelreserve
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm just not sure what the "Get out of town" mentality concerning Wallace is all about, except that he held out at the beginning of the year, and then ended up only having a Bongtonio type season, where he dropped 45% of his passes. If people think those stats are not worth a contract and he should leave, then fine, but how that then correlates to "I want to leave" is far beyond me.

Because when you put everything together - the holdout, the performance, the mental lapses, the effort, some borderline quotes like this - it paints a picture of a guy who checked out on this team months ago, and whose mind has been on next year's big payday somewhere else.

Maybe he'd get the benefit of the doubt if it was just one of these issues individually, but when they're happening all at once, I'd rather just call a spade a spade.

dislocatedday
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Because when you put everything together - the holdout, the performance, the mental lapses, the effort, some borderline quotes like this - it paints a picture of a guy who checked out on this team months ago, and whose mind has been on next year's big payday somewhere else.

Maybe he'd get the benefit of the doubt if it was just one of these issues individually, but when they're happening all at once, I'd rather just call a spade a spade.

I see it the way you do as well. It's the combination of all these things that make me think he has just been waiting for the payday to come, and that his commitment and effort this past year were not very strong . He likely could have had that payday last offseason if he just continued to negotiate with the Steelers while reporting to camp on time.

This is just my perception of the situation obviously, and I could be totally off in that view. None of us really know what goes on inside the Steelers organization

st33lersguy
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Wallace has a T.O. type of attitude and in a hissy fit seems to produce a lot them than T.O. He also seems like an Albert Haynesworth type of player, the type of guy who will stop putting forth an effort in his contract year, with the key difference being that Haynesworth was dominant his contract year unlike Wallace who quit. Paying Wallace to stay will be a huge mistake, and if they pay him a lot of money, they WON'T get a penny's worth of effort in return

Craic
12-31-2012, 06:41 PM

Except that you really don't know if it's a spade, because you're interpreting quotes in a predetermined manner.

I mean, if his mind "Has been on next year's big payday," then he'd have a whole lot more to show for himself this year to earn that payday. It makes no logical sense that he's focused on a big payday somewhere else and then doesn't perform to get it.

Mental lapses don't happen when you have a specific goal ahead of you that you're driving for. They happen when you are having a hard time focusing because there's too much going on inside your head.

Bordline quotes? What's borderline about "wanting to be in a good situation." Matter of fact, in context, it's even less of a factor.
"Is money the deciding factor for Wallace?"I'm not going to really say that," he said. "I just want to be in a good situation, a good fit for myself, no matter if it's here or anywhere else. I just want to be a in a good situation. Money is not really a problem."http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/567335/Several-players-may-not-return-next-season.html?nav=751

That is Neutral at worst. So put that along side of the rest of quotes from the same interview:

"There are a lot of different things that are going to factor in, but, most definitely, I'd like to be here," Wallace said. Asked if he could see himself back with the Steelers, Wallace said, "That's where I've been the whole time. I don't know anything else. I love playing here. I love my teammates. I love my coaches. So it most definitely could be the best situation for me."

So, "borderline quote"? I don't know, I'd think that, "I'd like to be here," "That's [Steelers] where I've been the whole time," not to mention, "I love playing here," and "I love my teammates," or even "I love my coaches," would all trump it. Let alone the last one he ends with: "So it most definitely could be the best situation for me."

Performance, mental lapses, and effort are the same thing, and you could see it with our entire receiver corp, rather than just Wallace. If we're calling a spade a spade, then the obvious issue here isn't Wallace's contract issue, but something that affects all three receivers. So what's that? Receiver coach? OC and the new plays? Ben? Why does it have to be Wallace leaving, when our 1-3 receivers suffered the same fate?

That just leaves the holdout, and I really think this is what it comes down to. Wallace wasn't Hines Ward, so how dare he hold out against the Rooney family.

So no, I really don't think this is calling a spade a spade. I think it's looking at the cards and projecting it's a spade before drawing the card from the deck.

steelreserve
12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Wallace has a T.O. type of attitude and in a hissy fit seems to produce a lot them than T.O. He also seems like an Albert Haynesworth type of player, the type of guy who will stop putting forth an effort in his contract year, with the key difference being that Haynesworth was dominant his contract year unlike Wallace who quit. Paying Wallace to stay will be a huge mistake, and if they pay him a lot of money, they WON'T get a penny's worth of effort in return

Like I said, who knows. If he stayed with the Steelers, I definitely feel like he'd take it easy - like he was mistreated and then he "won," so now it's his turn to show us who's in charge. If he goes somewhere else and gets a payday, maybe he feels like that team's his white knight who saved him, and he gives them his all.

All just speculating, of course, and I don't think it's very likely he'll be back, so that one's kind of a moot point.

I don't really see him as a T.O. type of player - T.O. was a loudmouth punk kind of drama queen; Wallace just seems pouty.

Craic
12-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Like I said, who knows. If he stayed with the Steelers, I definitely feel like he'd take it easy - like he was mistreated and then he "won," so now it's his turn to show us who's in charge. If he goes somewhere else and gets a payday, maybe he feels like that team's his white knight who saved him, and he gives them his all.

All just speculating, of course, and I don't think it's very likely he'll be back, so that one's kind of a moot point.

I don't really see him as a T.O. type of player - T.O. was a loudmouth punk kind of drama queen; Wallace just seems pouty.

Thank you. That's what all of this is, IMO. Even my posts.

steelreserve
12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
So, "borderline quote"? I don't know, I'd think that, "I'd like to be here," "That's [Steelers] where I've been the whole time," not to mention, "I love playing here," and "I love my teammates," or even "I love my coaches," would all trump it. Let alone the last one he ends with: "So it most definitely could be the best situation for me."

Listen, how many times have you heard a guy say exactly the same thing and then be gone at the drop of a hat? It's called paying lip service. Maybe I've just seen it more often following the local teams here, since the A's, Raiders, Warriors and (until recently) the 49ers were revolving doors for talented guys coming off their rookie contracts. But it's easy to recognize, and that's what he's doing. Believe it or not, guys with one foot out the door will say that type of stuff all the time, because they know telling the truth would piss off the whole town, and who wants to do that.

If he had any desire to stay, it wouldn't have been "could be the best situation" or "I want to go somewhere that's right for me, and it might be here." It would be "I'm definitely fucking certain that this is my first choice and I don't want to go anywhere if I can help it, so let's try to get a deal done in the next 3 months."

Anyway, that's the only point I'm choosing to address, because my thoughts on that are basically the same as for the rest of his antics, so there's no point going on for pages. The signals are unmistakable. If you want to bet that $50, the offer is still on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. That's what all of this is, IMO. Even my posts.

Obviously it all is to some degree. Although I think his intentions about free agency are a LOT more clear than trying to guess what'll happen to him in 12 months with some other team, or what'll be going through his head. That's what I meant.

KeiselPower99
12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
I bet Wallace ends up wherever Arians is. Wallace Mendenhall and Foster.

zulater
12-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Possible.

By the way your avater is a penalty! :lol:

86WARD
01-01-2013, 07:16 AM

That's be great for the colts and Luck.

steeldawg
01-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Listen, how many times have you heard a guy say exactly the same thing and then be gone at the drop of a hat? It's called paying lip service. Maybe I've just seen it more often following the local teams here, since the A's, Raiders, Warriors and (until recently) the 49ers were revolving doors for talented guys coming off their rookie contracts. But it's easy to recognize, and that's what he's doing. Believe it or not, guys with one foot out the door will say that type of stuff all the time, because they know telling the truth would piss off the whole town, and who wants to do that.

If he had any desire to stay, it wouldn't have been "could be the best situation" or "I want to go somewhere that's right for me, and it might be here." It would be "I'm definitely fucking certain that this is my first choice and I don't want to go anywhere if I can help it, so let's try to get a deal done in the next 3 months."

Anyway, that's the only point I'm choosing to address, because my thoughts on that are basically the same as for the rest of his antics, so there's no point going on for pages. The signals are unmistakable. If you want to bet that $50, the offer is still on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously it all is to some degree. Although I think his intentions about free agency are a LOT more clear than trying to guess what'll happen to him in 12 months with some other team, or what'll be going through his head. That's what I meant.

So hes damned if does damned if he dont, what ur saying is wallace doesnt want to be here even if he says does, how could u possibly know that? In fact keenan lewis made very similar comments about being back next year and i havent heard a peep about him not wanting to be back.

zulater
01-01-2013, 09:48 AM
So hes damned if does damned if he dont, what ur saying is wallace doesnt want to be here even if he says does, how could u possibly know that? In fact keenan lewis made very similar comments about being back next year and i havent heard a peep about him not wanting to be back.

Keenan has never allowed money to be a distraction or allowed it to become an issue while football was being played.

steeldawg
01-01-2013, 09:51 AM

the colts would be scary

- - - Updated - - -

Keenan has never allowed money to be a distraction or allowed it to become an issue while football was being played.

hes also never been in a contract situation

st33lersguy
01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
That's be great for the colts and Luck.

Not when Wallace drops everything thrown his way and gives up on balls not perfectly thrown

steelreserve
01-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Lewis also didn't turn down a $50 million contract and then half-ass it for large parts of the season.

Craic
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Seriously - I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years. I'd do everything I could to get out of there too, so can we REALLY compare that to anywhere else in the country? :chuckle: As far as your statement about what Wallace would say, why would he say that, and weaken his bargaining position. This season has hurt it quite a bit already, so weakening it even more by declaring that you want to stay isn't going to help anything.

Yeah, my point was just that absolute statements about knowing his intentions are fair, since only he really knows his intentions. I think he wants to stay, but also realizes the cost of playing football and the fact that you're not guaranteed any season, and therefore is looking for guaranteed money, and enough to take care of him and his family the rest of his life. Honestly, I can't blame a guy for that. Matter of fact, when you look at it from a family perspective rather than a football perspective, it's actually pretty honorable (if I'm right in my assumptions).

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM

lol its all complete speculation. thats a fact. no one knows what the guy is thinking but himself. ray lewis a couple years ago didnt make it sound at all like he was returning to the ravens when he hit the free agent market. he tested free agency for what little time he was out there and then he gets signed to what, a big 5 year contract even at his senile age? Then he gets to a press conference and all of a sudden he's all smiles and he says he wasnt seriously considering leaving.

Count Steeler
01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
lol its all complete speculation. thats a fact. no one knows what the guy is thinking but himself. ray lewis a couple years ago didnt make it sound at all like he was returning to the ravens when he hit the free agent market. he tested free agency for what little time he was out there and then he gets signed to what, a big 5 year contract even at his senile age? Then he gets to a press conference and all of a sudden he's all smiles and he says he wasnt seriously considering leaving.

We certainly don't know what he is thinking, but if we are able to sign Wallace AND take care of our other cap issues and RFA/UFA, Omar and Kevin will deserve raises. I just can't see how we pay out about 25mil to 3 WR, when the cap is 121mil. 8 to brown, 10-12 to Wallace, 5-7 for Sanders. Something has to give.

Craic
01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
We certainly don't know what he is thinking, but if we are able to sign Wallace AND take care of our other cap issues and RFA/UFA, Omar and Kevin will deserve raises. I just can't see how we pay out about 25mil to 3 WR, when the cap is 121mil. 8 to brown, 10-12 to Wallace, 5-7 for Sanders. Something has to give.

After this last season, I really think this number comes down.

steelreserve
01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah, my point was just that absolute statements about knowing his intentions are fair, since only he really knows his intentions. I think he wants to stay, but also realizes the cost of playing football and the fact that you're not guaranteed any season, and therefore is looking for guaranteed money, and enough to take care of him and his family the rest of his life. Honestly, I can't blame a guy for that. Matter of fact, when you look at it from a family perspective rather than a football perspective, it's actually pretty honorable (if I'm right in my assumptions).

Heh - yeah, but the thing is, most guys who get contracts like that don't use it to take care of their family. Their baby mama ends up getting like $250,000 a month in child support and then squanders it all.

- - - Updated - - -

For us, yeah. For some other team, no. Which adds up to him being gone.

Count Steeler
01-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Well, that is why I don't see him staying. I can't see him settling for less than 10mil, the supposed offer from pre season. And I can't see him not getting offered 10-12mil on the open market.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season.

https://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/status/286177536143159296

omg omg omg he cares about money. what screw him :lol:

gosh who wouldve known that hard working players that dont complain during the season care about money too! :rolleyes: :toofunny:

you guys crack me up

steelreserve
01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
well that sucks, because "test free agency" usually means "gone within the first couple days of free agency" and "you have about a 3% chance of re-signing me."

zulater
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season.

https://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/status/286177536143159296

omg omg omg he cares about money. what screw him :lol:

gosh who wouldve known that hard working players that dont complain during the season care about money too! :rolleyes: :toofunny:

you guys crack me up

Here's where the little sis crack on the other thread comes from.

KeiselPower99
01-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Sanders shouldnt be asking for 5 million a season. If he does ask for that and gets it it wont be from us.

steelreserve
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Sanders shouldnt be asking for 5 million a season. If he does ask for that and gets it it wont be from us.

I hope we can keep him for less than that. Maybe give him a deal that escalates up to that if he continues improving, but where those years aren't fully guaranteed so we can cut our losses.

I do think he's worth spending a little money on. 626 yards isn't worth Megatron money, but it's a step up from where he was, even though those were some BAD fumbles he had.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I hope we can keep him for less than that. Maybe give him a deal that escalates up to that if he continues improving, but where those years aren't fully guaranteed so we can cut our losses.

I do think he's worth spending a little money on. 626 yards isn't worth Megatron money, but it's a step up from where he was, even though those were some BAD fumbles he had.

that would be nice. he still needs to prove he can be both healthy AND productive