PDA

View Full Version : Pride is great 'anat, but this wouldn't exactly break my heart at this point

stillers4me
12-30-2012, 10:45 AM
The Steelers n'at‏@thesteelersnat
As I mentioned yesterday, a Steelers loss and wins by NYJ, TB & CAR would give the Steelers the 11th pick. Currently have the 14th pick.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers n'at‏@thesteelersnat
For those looking ahead to the draft, a Steelers Win and losses by StL, MIA & NO would give the Steelers the 17th pick.

- - - Updated - - -I'm not saying to tank the game....but since the season is already in the toilet, we'd might as well make some lemonade.

Or whatever. :lol:

Please...no dildo references.............. :heh:

zulater
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Bah, don't give me that. We'll pick where we pick. Losing to the Browns, getting swept by them no less, with them down to their 3rd string quarterback would do more damage going foward than sliding down a few places in the draft.

End the season on a high note if you can, which is no given for this team.

Anyway bottom line we drafted Casey Hampton, Heath Miller, Troy Polamala, and plenty of other impact players in the latter half of the first round. Giving up the midnset of a winner isn't worth drafting a couple picks early.

Plus we should be able to trade up if there's really someone we're targeting that may not last.

The thought of going into an offseason off consecutive home division losses against teams we've traditionally owned?! No thanks!

43Hitman
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Bah, don't give me that. We'll pick where we pick. Losing to the Browns, getting swept by them no less, with them down to their 3rd string quarterback would do more damage going foward than sliding down a few places in the draft.

Anyway bottom line we drafted Casey Hampton, Heath Miller, Troy Polamala, and plenty of other impact players in the latter half of the first round. Giving up the midnset of a winner isn't worth drafting a couple picks early.

Plus we should be able to trade up if there's really someone we're targeting that may not last.

The thought of going into an offseason off consecutive home division losses against teams we've traditionally owned?! No thanks!

:clap2: Well said Zu. If you start thinking like a loser, you'll become one. I hope we kick the living shit out of the Clowns. A 40 burger would taste great today.

7SteelGal43
12-30-2012, 11:23 AM

^ this

steelpride12
12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Either way the 17th pick would be a huge gain for the Steelers. Since we've had huge success in the past few seasons since '04 we have had pretty high draft picks and still be able to pick up contributing players. We know how to draft correctly and have proved that for years and this won't be an exception.
'

polamalubeast
12-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I think that the steelers will pick 16th this year

last time that the steelers pick 16th?....2003(Troy Polamalu!!!!)

stillers4me
12-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Don't get me wrong...I fully expect them to go out and kick some Brownie ass today.

But if it doesn't happen, I can swallow my pride and enjoy drafting high for once..........it's rare we get that oppurtunity and gaining a future Hall of Famer can sure make the pain of an awful season worth the price.

fansince'76
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Who wants to end the season on a 4-game skid? Not me. That kind of thing has a habit of creeping over into the next season.

steelreserve
12-30-2012, 12:15 PM

I honestly don't even give a damn. This year has been a disappointing failure, and winning or losing what is essentially a preseason game won't change that one bit.

I don't really care about streaks or home games because the season is over. I don't care about division rivalries because the season is over. I don't care about some bullshit notion of pride or a winning mentality because we're not going to get it anyway. Maybe winning the game would do that for a couple days, then guess what, everyone remembers the season still wasn't good enough. We didn't have our shit together all season, everybody got injured, the defense didn't show up for the first half a season, the offense didn't show up for the second half of the season, we missed the playoffs - but hey, I feel better because we beat the fucking Browns? Seriously?

This is not a normal game and there's no reason to treat it like one. Mainly I don't want to see anyone get hurt, and second it would be dumb to pass up the chance to get some of our younger unknown guys some real game action. That's not tanking the game on purpose, but a win-at-all-costs mentality in a game like this would just be flat-out stupid. So treat it for what it is, and let the chips fall where they may.

JayC
12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
ill take a loss. and i just don't buy it @ a meaningless game in december having any barring on a game 9 months later. im sure we'll win since i don't care and rather move up 5 spots in the draft

Lambert_Loonie
12-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I would think that if there's anyone the Steelers REALLY want, they'd just trade up to get them.

43Hitman
12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I would think that if there's anyone the Steelers REALLY want, they'd just trade up to get them.

Exactly

Godfather
12-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't think we should tank for draft position. But we should give a lot of reps to the younger players at the bottom of the depth chart. That way we can see what we have and evaluate our options, as well as giving them some regular season game experience. That matters more than winning or losing one game.

NCSteeler
12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think we should tank for draft position. But we should give a lot of reps to the younger players at the bottom of the depth chart. That way we can see what we have and evaluate our options, as well as giving them some regular season game experience. That matters more than winning or losing one game.

This has been my thought all week. Finding out what talent is on the bench is much more important than one game. But I know they would never do it, except where pushed into it by injury

Edman
12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Who wants to end the season on a 4-game skid? Not me. That kind of thing has a habit of creeping over into the next season.

You have a point there. Steelers lose to Tebow last year and you saw what happened afterwards.

steel9guy
12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
It's finally over, finally over. See ya 2012 Steelers.

st33lersguy
12-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Well we won this meaningless, uninspiring game and will now probably end up with only the 17th pick.

Carolina Steelers
12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
ill take a loss. and i just don't buy it @ a meaningless game in december having any barring on a game 9 months later. im sure we'll win since i don't care and rather move up 5 spots in the draft

Ill never take a loss!! grant it my emotions were not all in but still feels good to get a W dont care what week and our record

fansince'76
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Well we won this meaningless, uninspiring game and will now probably end up with only the 17th pick.

Which is still 8-10 picks higher than we usually draft...

steelreserve
12-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Yeah, but it's not free to do that. If we do end up making a move like that, then the net effect is that winning a meaningless game basically cost us a third-round draft pick.

Anyway, I didn't see much of this game, but from the look of it, we played the starters the whole game except at DB and didn't give many of the new guys much of a look. If we'd done that and still won (which I think probably would've happened), then fine, I'm all for it, but it really looks like we wasted the opportunity for both that and a better pick at the same time.

X-Terminator
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah, but it's not free to do that. If we do end up making a move like that, then the net effect is that winning a meaningless game basically cost us a third-round draft pick.

Anyway, I didn't see much of this game, but from the look of it, we played the starters the whole game except at DB and didn't give many of the new guys much of a look. If we'd done that and still won (which I think probably would've happened), then fine, I'm all for it, but it really looks like we wasted the opportunity for both that and a better pick at the same time.

They're going to get comp picks from losing Wallace and/or Mendenhall, so in reality, they will have the ability to trade up if they choose, and not really lose a whole lot in the later rounds.

st33lersguy
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Which is still 8-10 picks higher than we usually draft...

Yeah but without the benefit of a playoff appearance. The playoff berth was always worth picking outside the top 20, now without the playoff berth, 17th or 18th doesn't look good

X-Terminator
12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah but without the benefit of a playoff appearance. The playoff berth was always worth picking outside the top 20, now without the playoff berth, 17th or 18th doesn't look good

It doesn't matter. They are still going to get a good player from that slot, or trade up if necessary/possible to get a better pick. I never like to see my teams deliberately tank games. If they play backups and lose, fine, but at least go out there, play hard and try to win.

zulater
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM

You ever happy or will only a Super Bowl winning season appease you?

They only play 16 of these games a year, so to me it always matters. It's NFL football and the worst NFL football game is just about better than anything else you can play.

Also I have a team to identify with. Someplaces that's not the case. If you're my age and grew up a Los Angeles Ram fan you got no team. If you're from Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, or St. Louis you've had your team yanked out from under your nose.

If you're a Steeler fan you know that will never happen. Pittsburgh and the Steelers go together like pepperoni and pizza.

Also if you're a Steeler fan you know success. 6 Super Bowl wins. 8 Super Bowl appearances. 16 times in the conference championship game since the AFL-NFL merger.

Meanwhile teams that have been in existence the entire Super Bowl era haven't got so much as one Super Bowl title. I'm talking Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, Hou-Tenn, Cincy, San Diego, Philly, Minny.

So I'm going to view every winning Sunday as a good day. Because God only knows how many more wins I'll get to enjoy in my life?

And I'm fine, don't worry. But life is pretty damn random and none of us know what tommorow may bring. So I enjoyed the hell out of what to you was a "meaningless" win today because it's an NFL Sunday, and I had a team playing!

tube517
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
You ever happy or will only a Super Bowl winning season appease you?

They only play 16 of these games a year, so to me it always matters. It's NFL football and the worst NFL football game is just about better than anything else you can play.

Also I have a team to identify with. Someplaces that's not the case. If you're my age and grew up a Los Angeles Ram fan you got no team. If you're from Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, or St. Louis you've had your team yanked out from under your nose.

If you're a Steeler fan you know that will never happen. Pittsburgh and the Steelers go together like pepperoni and pizza.

Also if you're a Steeler fan you know success. 6 Super Bowl wins. 8 Super Bowl appearances. 16 times in the conference championship game since the AFL-NFL merger.

Meanwhile teams that have been in existence the entire Super Bowl era haven't got so much as one Super Bowl title. I'm talking Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, Hou-Tenn, Cincy, San Diego, Philly, Minny.

So I'm going to view every winning Sunday as a good day. Because God only knows how many more wins I'll get to enjoy in my life?

And I'm fine, don't worry. But life is pretty damn random and none of us know what tommorow may bring. So I enjoyed the hell out of what to you was a "meaningless" win today because it's an NFL Sunday, and I had a team playing!

Great post, Zu. Steelers for life! :applaudit:

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2

steelreserve
12-30-2012, 09:29 PM
They're going to get comp picks from losing Wallace and/or Mendenhall, so in reality, they will have the ability to trade up if they choose, and not really lose a whole lot in the later rounds.

Well, sort of. On the other hand, it would be nice if we could keep whatever picks we have and use the extra pick we get for Wallace on, say ... DB depth or A DECENT PUNTER. One less hole to fill.

I also don't think we'll get much for Mendenhall. He didn't produce anything this season and probably ends up somewhere on a prove-it contract. So that has 6th or 7th written all over it.

Shoes
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Not this year....I'll happily take a 17th over getting smoked in the first playoff game. The Browns were in this game today with a 3 string QB and faired well.

zulater
12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Not this year....I'll happily take a 17th over getting smoked in the first playoff game. The Browns were in this game today with a 3 string QB and faired well.

The Browns played a lot of teams tough throughout the season with a quarterback who was inferior to the "3rd string" qb they played yesterday.

If anything this season proved that more games are lost than are won. Yesterday for a change we didn't beat ourselves. And if you can keep yourself from effing up long enough there's a good chance the other team will.

Truthfully I think a healthy Steelers team could beat 2/3 of this year's playoff field, our best against their best. And I also believe we could compete with any of the rest.

SteelerFanInStl
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM

This is kind of how I feel right now. With the current state of our team, we weren't going anywhere. I'd rather just start focusing on next year and getting players healthy again.