PDA

View Full Version : Hebron Fangupo NT stolen from the Seahawks

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 04:02 PM
nice pickup , kid has potential and could be the saving grace of the Tamauu selection if Jail time becomes a factor there

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/12/29/3815668/hebron-fangupo-steelers-waiver-claim

Seven
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
GREAT move. Glad we pulled that off.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Might have saved ourselves a draft pick. Sure hope he fills the hole.

7willBheaven
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
With Casey probably done...this move can fill the hole. I'd be happy if he develops into a Hoke type guy! Though he probably wont dress for this game...at least they have a guy they want locked onto the team so nobody can steal them.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
He is on the active roster, so he should be dressed. Probably won't see any playing time. Ta'Amu might.

salamander
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Da Stealers stole a player from da Seahawks :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Chidi29
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
He is on the active roster, so he should be dressed. Probably won't see any playing time. Ta'Amu might.

I doubt he even dresses tomorrow. Heck, I'd be surprised is Ta'Amu did. He was a healthy scratch before his incident. We probably won't dress three nose tackles.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 05:34 PM
I doubt he even dresses tomorrow. Heck, I'd be surprised is Ta'Amu did. He was a healthy scratch before his incident. We probably won't dress three nose tackles.

I think they should give Ta'amu some playing time. Treat tomorrow like a preseason game and play some guys that would not normally play. That doesn't mean we play to lose, but let's see what some of these young guys got. I would hope they play Golden in the secondary more than they have. Even Sylvester and Robinson should be given more reps.

Seven
12-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Only problem is now we have three guys with pretty good promise and even less time for them to share in practice/camp/games. I have to think this swipe was a longterm proposition. They must have liked him in April.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Only problem is now we have three guys with pretty good promise and even less time for them to share in practice/camp/games. I have to think this swipe was a longterm proposition. They must have liked him in April.

we interview him prior to the draft so yea , they have had interest ... how much remains to be seen

Chidi29
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I think they should give Ta'amu some playing time. Treat tomorrow like a preseason game and play some guys that would not normally play. That doesn't mean we play to lose, but let's see what some of these young guys got. I would hope they play Golden in the secondary more than they have. Even Sylvester and Robinson should be given more reps.

Yeah, I get the idea. And obviously moving all these players to IR creates a lot of room. I think we will see a lot of smaller name guys get reps and get a hat (Isaiah Green, Justin King, David Gilreath) but there's still a point where you have only so many snaps to go around. McClendon as the backup NT said he only gets 10 or so snaps a game. So a 3rd or 4th stringer doesn't really fit in there.

I still think that we're going to go with the "you have to earn it" mantra and not give these guys PT for the sake of it. Hopefully, we'll be blowing the Browns out and can give those guys PT in the second half.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Hopefully, we'll be blowing the Browns out and can give those guys PT in the second half.

:toofunny: You are probably right. And would be a fitting end to this weird season.

KeiselPower99
12-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I expect Ta Amu to play special teams unless we end up blowing the Browns out. This is a nice pickup from what I have been able to read.

7willBheaven
12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I get the idea. And obviously moving all these players to IR creates a lot of room. I think we will see a lot of smaller name guys get reps and get a hat (Isaiah Green, Justin King, David Gilreath) but there's still a point where you have only so many snaps to go around. McClendon as the backup NT said he only gets 10 or so snaps a game. So a 3rd or 4th stringer doesn't really fit in there.

I still think that we're going to go with the "you have to earn it" mantra and not give these guys PT for the sake of it. Hopefully, we'll be blowing the Browns out and can give those guys PT in the second half.

This Green guy is NOT on the roster he is on the PS...so we won't be seeing him.

But overall I too would like to see at least SOME of the younger guys get some chances to play...

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
This Green guy is NOT on the roster he is on the PS...so we won't be seeing him.

But overall I too would like to see at least SOME of the younger guys get some chances to play...

not according to the official site http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 06:59 PM
not according to the official site http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html

As of right now, Green is listed as #39 and is listed on the practice squad. Fangupo doesn't have a number assigned as yet, and he is on the roster.

Also, Fangupo is listed as a 27 year old rookie.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 07:06 PM
As of right now, Green is listed as #39 and is listed on the practice squad. Fangupo doesn't have a number assigned as yet, and he is on the roster.

BYU Grad like Hoke and spent 2 years on mission ( a kid with character )

Chidi29
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM

I think he was going to be put on the roster until Fangupo was signed.

Fangupo is that old because he went to BYU and was away for two years while on church mission.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
BYU Grad like Hoke and spent 2 years on mission ( a kid with character )

He sounds like a good pickup. Couple more of these kinds of pickups and with our draft class, things will be looking up for next year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
why so much excitement? did he have a great college career?

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
why so much excitement? did he have a great college career?

was a hell of a player in College , very good 2 gap DT that may make a splash with us if he can stick on the roster a little while ...

was a very disruptive force in the middle part of the def here is a vid of him vs Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fc1M-1NxEA

here is a highlight film ( may want to kill your speaker volume )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F7r_HJ0E4E

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 07:29 PM
was a hell of a player in College , very good 2 gap DT that may make a splash with us if he can stick on the roster a little while ...

was a very disruptive force in the middle part of the def here is a vid of him vs Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fc1M-1NxEA

here is a highlight film ( may want to kill your speaker volume )

what number is he

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 07:31 PM
what number is he

91 in the videos.

He doesn't have a Steeler number yet.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 07:31 PM

count beat me to it

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 07:36 PM
here's a better video for evaluation. he looks like he does a great job of keeping his eyes in the backfield and adjusting accordingly

tube517
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
We've had good luck w/BYU D-linemen recently. Hopefully, he'll continue that. Brett Kiesel, Chris Hoke

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
here's a better video for evaluation. he looks like he does a great job of keeping his eyes in the backfield and adjusting accordingly

its the same one I posted below the Texas game video LOL

st33lersguy
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I think this signals the end of the line for the big snack. There was speculation that he would be cut last year, and I think his salary will be expensive and he certainly is on a decline. By the way, what year was he drafted? I remember floating his name around as a possible late round pick.

Steeldude
12-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I think this signals the end of the line for the big snack. There was speculation that he would be cut last year, and I think his salary will be expensive and he certainly is on a decline. By the way, what year was he drafted? I remember floating his name around as a possible late round pick.

If they end up keeping Fangupo and Shamuu in 2013 then it's possible Mclendon will play DE. Unless the Steelers are planning on letting Mclendon walk. IMO, Kiesel and Hampton are gone. Both of them cost too much and their play has been going downhill for the last dew seasons.

Fangupo has a wide body with a thick base. This will serve well in absorbing double teams. One thing I noticed in the videos is how Fangupo lets his shoulder get too high. The offensive lineman has little trouble blocking Fangupo when that happens

stillers4me
12-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Chris Hoke‏@hokiebro76
Great move by steelers to pick up Fangupo. They now have a whole offseason to train him. Big, strong, athletic kid I see playing DE.

Seven
12-30-2012, 10:59 AM
He won't dress. Nor will Ta'amu.

katmandu
12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Might have saved ourselves a draft pick. Exactly! GREAT pickup!