PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defense close to impressive feat

stillers4me
12-29-2012, 08:44 AM
There won't be any celebrating for the Steelers after Sunday's season finale, but the defense is close to an impressive accomplishment.

The Steelers can become the sixth defense in NFL history to finish the season as the top-ranked defense against the run and pass. Pittsburgh would become only the second defense to record this accomplishment in 37 years and the first since the 1991 Eagles...............

Read more @
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/62189/steelers-defense-close-to-impressive-feat

st33lersguy
12-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Meaningless statistic yardage is. They may be no. 1 in yardage, but they are not the best defense. What is more important than yardage is sacks and turnovers, which is something this team did not do. Had they been able to take over games and come up with more turnovers deep in the opponent's territory, they could have come away with more wins. By the way, the stat that matters most, scoring defense, the Steelers are 10th (still a good ranking)

Edman
12-29-2012, 10:44 AM
The Defense really got it together as best they could this year after struggling early on, as well as dealing with injuries.

A shame they were once again let down by Ben, the Offense, and the Special Teams.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
they wont get it unless the run defense has a game like it had against the bengals

steelreserve
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, and even more importantly, they can become the first team with a top-ranked defense in both categories to miss the playoffs. I'm sure the yardage totals were great for fantasy football, but we were far from dominant. In fact, since we've lost more games than we've won, I'd call it the opposite of dominant.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, and even more importantly, they can become the first team with a top-ranked defense in both categories to miss the playoffs. I'm sure the yardage totals were great for fantasy football, but we were far from dominant. In fact, since we've lost more games than we've won, I'd call it the opposite of dominant.

nope not even. i had kept starting them all season :chuckle:.

by the way, anyone remember that thread about that website that had fans vote which defense was going to be better this season, the seahawks and the steelers? And how we all scoffed at the notion that the fans voted for the seahawks? Wow do times changes or what?

salamander
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
That's all fine and dandy but all that matters to me at this point is that the Steelers are 7-8 and out of the playoffs.

43Hitman
12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
nope not even. i had kept starting them all season :chuckle:.

by the way, anyone remember that thread about that website that had fans vote which defense was going to be better this season, the seahawks and the steelers? And how we all scoffed at the notion that the fans voted for the seahawks? Wow do times changes or what?

The Squaks have a sick defensive backfield. Wish we had corners like those guys.

st33lersguy
12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd rather be last in every single defensive category and be in the playoffs than 1st in passing, rushing, and total and miss the playoffs

Craic
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
You all really crack me up.

Not only are we first against the run and pass, but look at the PER RUN and PER PASS average. That, is where we are really strong. Points? You can thank our offense and special teams for turnovers that put the defense with their back against the goal line as often as not, yet how many times did the defense actually give up a TD during that time?

Sacks is a MEANINGLESS stat. Um, how many times was Ben sacked in 2008? How many times in 2010? Sacks on third down might be important, but this is't 1960's football anymore. A sack does not guarantee anything. Matter of fact, unless it's a sack on a 7 step drop, it really has very little affect. That's what happens when the league is a PASS first league. I could care less about sacks. (It's also why two years ago when I did a little looking into it, QB's with a high number of sacks, were in the playoffs while most teams with a low number, weren't, except for Brady).

Turnovers are a different story. However, it's still not as important as yards per play, because I'd much rather have 4 three and outs in the fourth quarter, than 2 turnovers and 2 long drives by the other teams offense. Turnovers are some kind of a "magical" statistic. They are simply a count of how many times a team gave up the ball when it wasn't fourth down. You might argue field position, but I gotta call bull on that too in many cases. I'd rather have the ball, 1st and 10 at our thirty with 7 minutes left in the game and up by a TD, then 1st and 10 at their forty and up by a TD. Why? Because either this offense is going to drive, or they are not, there is very little inbetween with them. So if they drive, it's a 7 minute drive to win the game. Rather than a 3 minute drive, and then a field goal, where we then give the other team 4 minutes to drive and score, then either attempt an onside kick, or try and get a three and out against us.

Sorry, I just don't buy that stopping a team from going down the field is less important than fancy stats in the sack and turnover category, and still not being able to hold on to leads in the fourth quarter.

As far as missing the playoffs, the games up to the Bengals is on the defense. The rest of them, is on the offense. They only had to win two games down the stretch, and couldn't do it.

I swear, ESPN and Fantasy football has ruined this sport. Everyone wants the flashy plays, rather than the good overall efforts.

TXtea6
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Whether sacks are meaningless or not, a consistent pattern emerges...

In 7 wins:
Run defense: 123 YPG, 4.2 avg
Pass defense: 224 YPG, 9.9 avg

In 8 losses:
Run defense: 75 YPG, 3.3 avg
Pass defense: 261 YPG, 11.6 avg

The Steelers are simply better when they do better against the pass. I know in years past, there was a certain pride among the defensive unit, not to allow 100-yard rushers and the like. Maybe they just overplayed the run and other teams figured it out?

Craic
12-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Whether sacks are meaningless or not, a consistent pattern emerges...

In 7 wins:
Run defense: 123 YPG, 4.2 avg
Pass defense: 224 YPG, 9.9 avg

In 8 losses:
Run defense: 75 YPG, 3.3 avg
Pass defense: 261 YPG, 11.6 avg

The Steelers are simply better when they do better against the pass. I know in years past, there was a certain pride among the defensive unit, not to allow 100-yard rushers and the like. Maybe they just overplayed the run and other teams figured it out?

I think the passing numbers are a little out of kilter because of the first few games this year, before they locked down that part of the game. I'd be interested instead to see the defensive numbers from the losses in the first part of the year, against the number from the second part of the year.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I think the passing numbers are a little out of kilter because of the first few games this year, before they locked down that part of the game. I'd be interested instead to see the defensive numbers from the losses in the first part of the year, against the number from the second part of the year.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I think Romo put up over 300 yards against us. Actually think it was the most all season.

Craic
12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I was thinking along the same lines, but I think Romo put up over 300 yards against us. Actually think it was the most all season.

Strange game that was, and why other things like who the CB's were always need to be taken into consideration as well. Overall, I think our defense is heading in the right direction, instead of the wrong one. It's the last place I'd worry in the off season.

TXtea6
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Sure, here are the first 3 losses vs the last 5:

First 3 losses:
Run defense: 61 YPG, 2.7 avg
Pass defense: 315 YPG, 11.5 avg

Last 5 losses:
Run defense: 83 YPG, 3.7 avg
Pass defense: 229 YPG, 11.7 avg

So you're right, the pass average is actually skewed by the early losses to the Raiders (379 passing yards) and Titans (356). In fact the run defense slowed down some, though 83 YPG is still excellent. I guess the lack of turnovers was more of a key all season long.

Count Steeler
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Strange game that was, and why other things like who the CB's were always need to be taken into consideration as well. Overall, I think our defense is heading in the right direction, instead of the wrong one. It's the last place I'd worry in the off season.

It is the most promising of the 3 units. However, with the possibility of a Harrison loss, Polamalu?, Foote?, and Woodley? And the absence of an outside pass rush, even this unit will need attention.

Craic
12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
It is the most promising of the 3 units. However, with the possibility of a Harrison loss, Polamalu?, Foote?, and Woodley? And the absence of an outside pass rush, even this unit will need attention.

I'm not so sure. I think we keep Foote and Woodley. Frankly, when Harrison and Polamalu were out, we were still playing pretty dang good football, better football defensively in some cases. Of course, no one is going to be able to slip through the line and tackle the QB like Troy did. But I don't think our defense is as dependent on him and Harrison as they once were. The CB's stepping up has really altered the balance on this defense - so that sacks and INT's AREN'T the most important thing anymore. When we couldn't pass protect, that was basically the only way we could stop a drive.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see us lose them, though I do think Harrison is going to try and come back for at least another season. I'm really surprised at how Foote has settled down into his role. I was never impressed with him, but now that he's taken over for Farrior, he's brought that exact same mentality to the position. Maybe he's found his niche in this defense. After being gone and coming back, it won't take as much to sign him either, because I doubt he wants to go anywhere else.

BlastFurnace
12-29-2012, 06:15 PM
I think the defense had some good games, but they were far from dominant.

As an example, when Brown fumbled on that punt return against Dallas, I knew Romo.would go the remaining 45 yards and score a TD to tie the game. Same thing after the Ben pick against the Bengals with Dalton setting them up with a sideline pass out of bounds.

A defense that plays with speed, ferociousness, and results is Seattle. After watching what Seattle has done this year, they have the best defense. I'd trade our starting 11 for theirs every day of the week.

Craic
12-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Sure, here are the first 3 losses vs the last 5:

First 3 losses:
Run defense: 61 YPG, 2.7 avg
Pass defense: 315 YPG, 11.5 avg

Last 5 losses:
Run defense: 83 YPG, 3.7 avg
Pass defense: 229 YPG, 11.7 avg

So you're right, the pass average is actually skewed by the early losses to the Raiders (379 passing yards) and Titans (356). In fact the run defense slowed down some, though 83 YPG is still excellent. I guess the lack of turnovers was more of a key all season long.

Something seems off here. The Yards per pass attempt according to ESPN is 5.3 according to Pro-football reference, and 6 according to ESPN. How did you get a total of 9.7?

First three losses then add up to 6.8 yards per pass.
Last five add up to 5.8 yards per pass. (remove the Dallas game, and it's 5.21)

So yeah, the first three games did skew the overall numbers for the pass defense.

KeiselPower99
12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I know a lot of people dont buy into stats but nonetheless it is impressive. And to me it shows that with some playmakers we should have a better record. I dont think we need to blow this team up just add a play making corner and a rusher.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 07:26 PM

that was some fluke ass shit though. No ike, no cortez allen. Even keenan left the game. cant ask your cornerbacks to be that deep against one of the best receiving corps in the league

ALLD
12-30-2012, 07:28 AM
A good statistic, but history will record that the offense continually let the team down with poor field position, lack of scoring and an obscene amount of turnovers.