PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Esiason: Roethlisberger Needs To Man Up

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Pittsburgh (93-7 The Fan) – CBS NFL analyst Boomer Esiason checks in with Vinnie Richichi on Sportsradio 93-7 The Fan, and he doesn’t hold back his thoughts on Ben Roethlisberger.

Boomer thinks Ben needs to step up his game in the leadership department.

“He’s gotta be a man from Monday to Sunday,” Esiason says. “Not just on Sunday. Monday to Sunday.”

Read more and audio link: Boomer Esiason: Roethlisberger Needs To Man Up (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/28/boomer-esiason-roethlisberger-needs-to-man-up/)

What is it about Roethlisberger specifically that seems to compel guys who weren't really any great shakes as players themselves to pile on? :noidea:

The only reason this team isn't looking at a 2-14 finish right now is because of Roethlisberger's play before he got injured (which had him firmly in league MVP discussion at midseason). Bottom line.

steel striker
12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah I can remember Boomer led a jet team to a 4-12 record where was his great leadership then? Funny how certain media types always pile on Ben when things don't go well.

Edman
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah I can remember Boomer led a jet team to a 4-12 record where was his great leadership then? Funny how certain media types always pile on Ben when things don't go well.

If Ben doesn't want people piling on him, he needs to stop having lost seasons like this, and less games like Sunday.

Just because Boomer stunk doesn't excuse him from pointing out the facts, that Ben needs to take a little more responsibility, and I mean REAL responsibility. Saying it's all his fault isn't enough. He needs to go the extra mile to make sure this doesn't happen again, and watch him regain credibility and have fans and the media start worshipping him. All his career others have had to shoulder the blame (Arians) and got the ire from the media and fans, except him.

If Ben wants to be treated as a true leader, he needs to start leading. Taking Pot Shots at Haley and this "I'll do what you say but it's not my fault if we lose" attitude doesn't help.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 03:27 PM
If Ben doesn't want people piling on him, he needs to stop having lost seasons like this, and less games like Sunday.

Just because Boomer stunk doesn't excuse him from pointing out the facts, that Ben needs to take a little more responsibility, and I mean REAL responsibility. Saying it's all his fault isn't enough. He needs to go the extra mile to make sure this doesn't happen again, and watch people and the media start worshipping him. All his career others have had to shoulder the blame (Arians) and got the ire from the media and fans, except him.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll try not to get injured again. That's where this season went off the rails. And if you're going to sit there and try and tell me that "well, he was healthy the last 3 games!" after watching all the wounded ducks he has been throwing in the dirt, I'm going to say you're delusional. NO WAY has he been 100% the last 3 weeks. But that falls on the FO for not having a viable backup.

Edman
12-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he'll try not to get injured again. That's where this season went off the rails. And if you're going to sit there and try and tell me that "well, he was healthy the last 3 games!" after watching all the wounded ducks he has been throwing in the dirt, I'm going to say you're delusional. NO WAY has he been 100% the last 3 weeks. But that falls on the FO for not having a viable backup.

Just like 2011, the season went off the rails due to injuries. That's true.

But the elephant in the room is WHY Ben got injured. Like 2011, Ben got injured trying to be a Sandlot Superman instead of playing smart and living for another play.

http://youtu.be/_ZrmMKH5m8U?t=15s

Had Heath Miller over the middle but held onto the ball and kept staring downfield. Bam. Hali & Houston take him down and take out his shoulder.

Oh wait, It's the terrible O-Line's Fault for not holding their blocks for Ten Seconds. No, it's Arians. No, it's Haley. No wait I know, it's all Tomlin's fault.

BlastFurnace
12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I think some of the harsh analysis of Ben has to do with his body language on the sideline.

Some people on this board have pointed out that Ben doesn't look at film on the sideline and isn't the rah rah type during games. Fair or unfair, people doing analysis and commentary for a living no doubt notice that too.

Personally, I think Ben is a leader, but he's not a guy who gets into peoples faces...which is fine. Ben wins and the team has no chance without him.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Just like 2011, the season went off the rails due to injuries. That's true.

But the elephant in the room is WHY Ben got injured. Like 2011, Ben got injured trying to be a Sandlot Superman instead of playing smart and living for another play.

http://youtu.be/_ZrmMKH5m8U?t=15s

Had Heath Miller over the middle but held onto the ball and kept staring downfield. Bam. Hali & Houston take him down and take out his shoulder.

Oh wait, It's the terrible O-Line's Fault for not holding their blocks for Ten Seconds. No, it's Arians. No, it's Haley. No wait I know, it's all Tomlin's fault.

Ten seconds? Really? Sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyn9uhlswGQ

Edman
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Ten seconds? Really? Sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyn9uhlswGQ

'76, you're gonna have to do better than that. Ben had room and time to step up in the pocket and make something happen. In fact, that's exactly what he did.

Ben does not get hurt if he does one of the following...

1) Looks for Heath over the middle instead of looking downfield(or to one side of the field) the whole way.

2) Goes down.

3) Plays smarter ball.

Instead he went Sandlot and the rest is history.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
'76, you're gonna have to do better than that. Ben had room and time to step up in the pocket and make something happen. In fact, that's exactly what he did.

1) Looks for Heath over the middle instead of looking downfield(or to one side of the field) the whole way.

2) Goes down.

3) Plays smarter ball.

Yeah, I guess he could've fallen to the ground and curled up in a fetal position like Brady would've done.

steeldawg
12-28-2012, 05:34 PM
bens not going to change the very thing we complain about (ben holding the ball), is the same thing that makes him great. Its the same thing you get when you ask mike vick to be a pocket passer and not run.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 05:36 PM
bens not going to change the very thing we complain about (ben holding the ball), is the same thing that makes him great. Its the same thing you get when you ask mike vick to be a pocket passer and not run.

Exactly. If he played like a giant vag (Brady) this would never happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3j8FIHr28

Edman
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I guess he could've fallen to the ground and curled up in a fetal position like Brady would've done.

Brady also doesn't get his ankle torn up, or his shoulder blown out throwing the Patriots season down the crapper, oh and his team is considerably better on offense than Ben's team. They're in the postseason and we're sitting at home staring at a possible 7-9 record.

I really, REALLY hate Brady and the Cheats as much as the next guy, but just saying.

Ben's sandlot ability is a blessing to him, but Ben has proven he can beat Brady at his own game. Sandlot should be complimentary, not his whole game.

steeldawg
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Its just who he is, and its also the reason he doesnt like haleys offense.

Edman
12-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Ben had Heath Miller open in the flat to begin with. That shouldn't be happening.

Because Ben wasn't smart, THIS happened. The Steelers actually LOST that game, BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-PRJBo9rc

Next meaningless highlight, please.

Count Steeler
12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Boomer, it's always easier to QB from the sidelines. Ben is what he is. Not all QBs are generals off the field.

For now, Ben is our guy, get him a backup and let Ben play. Ben will lead on the field.

tube517
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
That we are even discussing ANY (notice the captalization for emphasis :chuckle:) analysis by Boomer Esiason is really a joke. Boomer is horrible on the radio and TV.

X-Terminator
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Brady also doesn't get his ankle torn up, or his shoulder blown out throwing the Patriots season down the crapper, oh and his team is considerably better on offense than Ben's team. They're in the postseason and we're sitting at home staring at a possible 7-9 record.

I really, REALLY hate Brady and the Cheats as much as the next guy, but just saying.

Ben's sandlot ability is a blessing to him, but Ben has proven he can beat Brady at his own game. Sandlot should be complimentary, not his whole game.

Did Steelreal hijack your account or something?

Listen, throughout his entire career, save his rookie season, Ben has been one who wants to try to make the big play. He always wants to make something happen. That's just who he is, and I really wish fans and media would stop bashing him for it. Brett Favre was the same kind of "gunslinger" that Ben is, but he is revered, while Ben is constantly reviled. It's ridiculous. He's proven he can tweak his game to take less hits, but you absolutely CANNOT take away the one thing that makes him great. And he is most definitely a leader in that he wants to be the reason why the team wins. He says it all the time. Yes, it does sometimes get him in trouble, but after seeing plays like he made against the Cowboys, I will live with it. You want guys like that on your team, guys who want the ball in their hands.

Sometimes, I really wish Ben hadn't been drafted at all. Too many Steelers fans don't appreciate what they have in him, which is surprising given the absolute garbage that they put under center after Bradshaw retired.

LLT
12-28-2012, 08:08 PM

2) Goes down.

3) Plays smarter ball.

Instead he went Sandlot and the rest is history.

Any way you look at it....if your original point was that ben had 10 seconds to throw the ball....thats an incorrect statement.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
chill, its boomer's job.

mike mayock is like one of the only great analysts out there and he did virtually nothing in his nfl career

Edman
12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Any way you look at it....if your original point was that ben had 10 seconds to throw the ball....thats an incorrect statement.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. That was sarcasm.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes, I really wish Ben hadn't been drafted at all. Too many Steelers fans don't appreciate what they have in him, which is surprising given the absolute garbage that they put under center after Bradshaw retired.

I appreciate 8-8 and 7-9 Seasons that were directly caused by him.

Yeah, Poor Ol' Defenseless Ben, everyone's picking on him. Nobody appreciates him in this town.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah, Poor Ol' Defenseless Ben, everyone's picking on him. Nobody appreciates him in this town.

Yeah, me too, especially when he's about the ONLY reason this team isn't going 2-14 this season. I SHUDDER to think how much worse this season would have been if he hadn't pulled all those 3rd down conversions out for us before he got injured.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Too many Steelers fans don't appreciate what they have in him, which is surprising given the absolute garbage that they put under center after Bradshaw retired.

Yep, and the same ones who bag on him nonstop now are the same ones who will sit around and indignantly (and cluelessly) wonder "What's HIS problem?" if he winds up pulling a Bradshaw and flips this fanbase a giant bird for a couple decades after he retires.

KeiselPower99
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Id rather have Ben under center than any other qb in this league. He will never be Brady, Rodgers or Brees but he will be like Favre. He wants to win and make big plays. Boomer has always seemed to me as a guy that has an agenda and hates on Ben everytime he gets a chance.

siss
12-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Just because Boomer stunk doesn't excuse him from pointing out the facts, that Ben needs to take a little more responsibility, and I mean REAL responsibility. Saying it's all his fault isn't enough. He needs to go the extra mile to make sure this doesn't happen again, and watch him regain credibility and have fans and the media start worshipping him. All his career others have had to shoulder the blame (Arians) and got the ire from the media and fans, except him.

If Ben wants to be treated as a true leader, he needs to start leading. Taking Pot Shots at Haley and this "I'll do what you say but it's not my fault if we lose" attitude doesn't help.

What exactly should Ben do...since you are an expert of the inter-workers of the steelers. Before he got hurt, he was having an mvp season, while the rest of the team was looking horrible.

Boomer is an idiot and was speaking from his ass with these comments.

LLT
12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
What exactly should Ben do...since you are an expert of the inter-workers of the steelers. Before he got hurt, he was having an mvp season, while the rest of the team was looking horrible.

Boomer is an idiot and was speaking from his ass with these comments.

This.

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Exactly - like I said, Ben is the ONLY reason this team's record isn't worse - MUCH WORSE - right now. But yeah, let's blame it all on Ben, now that Arians isn't around to play the convenient scapegoat anymore. :coffee:

Silverman: Tillman, Roethlisberger & Manning Among Top MVP Candidates

QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh – The Steelers seemed like just another team at the start of the season. The AFC North seemed to be in the pocket of the Baltimore Ravens and the Steelers looked like they were going to have a hard time holding off Cincinnati for second place. The Steelers had injuries at the running back position and the defense didn’t look good enough to get it done. But in the last few weeks, Roethlisberger has looked at all of those factors and has laughed. He has completed 200-of-298 passes for 2,203 yards with 16 TDs and 4 interceptions. When Roethlisberger can stay away from the picks, good things are going to happen for the Steelers. He remains the massive mountain in the pocket that he’s always been, but he’s avoiding the turnovers. Last year he threw 14 interceptions and he is playing much better football and his team is responding.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11/08/silverman-tillman-roethlisberger-manning-among-top-mvp-candidates-at-halfway-point/

tube517
12-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I think if the title read "Roethlisberger needs to man up and stop being a DRAMA queen...." then we would have a serious discussion. :chuckle:

chill, its boomer's job.

mike mayock is like one of the only great analysts out there and he did virtually nothing in his nfl career

While that is true, however, Mayock actually studies the game. Boomer spanks Brady's monkey and says more obvious shit than Beano Cook. Wait, I don't watch CBS pregame shows anymore so what do I know?

st33lersguy
12-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Ben is a corner-stone for this team. If it weren't for him, this team would have been at best 2-6 when he got injured. He returned from injury and grew timid, afraid that he would get hit, and a rib would puncture his aorta. Boomer's just jealous Ben has a Super Bowl ring and he doesn't

NCSteeler
12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
I'll take ben's play on the field any day exciting game winner, BUT. His media comments (which often get blown out of proportion) I can do without. He does need to be a better leader get the young guys to buy in, take your complaints to the man directly without insinuating crap tomsome reporter. He needs to understand any gray area comments will be taken negatively . How gosh awful would it be if we had rivers or Eli

X-Terminator
12-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Are you seriously blaming this season on Ben? Come on man, you're smarter than that! Ben is the reason why the team wasn't eliminated from the playoffs sooner when the defense couldn't stop a bunch of 3 year olds, the running game was complete shit and the special teams weren't very special. But because of one FREAK ACCIDENT, you have come to the conclusion that he is the reason why the season has been lost.

Yep, another example of why Steelers fans are fickle as hell and are overrated in terms of a fanbase. No different than Philly fans. And no, many fans do not appreciate what they have in him...but they will once he retires and the team doesn't win another SB until I'm collecting Social Security.

Yeah, I'm definitely putting you in with our dearly-departed Steelreal. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
The only reason this team isn't looking at a 2-14 finish right now is because of Roethlisberger's play before he got injured

I don't know Gary.

It is rare to have your defense give up the fewest yards in the entire NFL and NOT have a winning season...

X-Terminator
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't know Gary.

It is rare to have your defense give up the fewest yards in the entire NFL and NOT have a winning season...

Before Ben got hurt, he was keeping the team in games while the defense was still finding its legs and the running game was hit-or-miss. Then the offense went to complete shit save for the 2nd Ravens game. Then Ben comes back and hasn't been himself, and without a running game, the offense continued to struggle. Add in untimely turnovers, and there's your reason why they will not have a winning season despite having the #1 defense. I think it is absolutely imperative next season that they find a way to get the running game up to standard (meaning, better than 23rd in the league) in order to take pressure off Ben and prevent him from thinking he has to win games all by himself.

GBMelBlount
12-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Before Ben got hurt, he was keeping the team in games while the defense was still finding its legs and the running game was hit-or-miss. Then the offense went to complete shit save for the 2nd Ravens game. Then Ben comes back and hasn't been himself, and without a running game, the offense continued to struggle. Add in untimely turnovers, and there's your reason why they will not have a winning season despite having the #1 defense. I think it is absolutely imperative next season that they find a way to get the running game up to standard (meaning, better than 23rd in the league) in order to take pressure off Ben and prevent him from thinking he has to win games all by himself.

I agree with every word you said. It is unusual but it is explainable.

I guess what it arguably comes cown to is what we have all been talking about the last 5 years....our offensive line problems.

Seven
12-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Very accurate diagnosis of the season.

Esiason can go blow. Ben played great until his injury. I'm sick of the misnomer that Ben doesn't do the little things being largely accepted when everything I've ever heard from anyone worth a damn doesn't support it.

st33lersguy
12-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't know Gary.

Everyone knows this year's defense was worse than their no. 1 ranking indicated. The defense prevented the team from starting 4-1 with awful play, they somehow couldn't stop crappy Phyllis Rivers and a bad receiving corp on 3rd down while giving up 34 points, and they gave the offense no help in terms of field position (ala forcing a turnover).

The WH
12-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Brady might be a puss, but his team isn't going golfing after this sunday are they? I think we need to stop hoping for our QB to be the antithesis of Brady. Hate him or really hate him, his team wins more often than not.

Seven
12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Brady might be a puss, but his team isn't going golfing after this sunday are they? I think we need to stop hoping for our QB to be the antithesis of Brady. Hate him or really hate him, his team wins more often than not.

The exact same thing can be said of Roethlisberger.

Moose
12-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I always get a kick out of these 'has been' , 'NO Hall of Famer's ' making comments on future HALL OF FAMER'S. Like Boomer would know what it takes to be a QB. He did so well himself. LMAO.

Lambert_Loonie
12-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I always get a kick out of these 'has been' , 'NO Hall of Famer's ' making comments on future HALL OF FAMER'S. Like Boomer would know what it takes to be a QB. He did so well himself. LMAO.

Considering he was about 3 minutes away from winning a Super Bowl with the freakin' Bungles of all teams, I think his viewpoints carry a little more weight than those of 'Joe Football Fan.'

I honestly didn't hear much I disagreed with. I get that all the great QB's lead differently, and I get being cool under pressure. But there's a fine line between not letting the pressure get to you and being passive, and at critical times Ben acts too passive IMO. When's the last time you saw Ben just get pissed off? When's the last time you saw Ben get in the face of a lineman who gives up a sack at a critical time or a wide reciever who runs the wrong route? He just shrugs his shoulders and jogs off to the sidelines. Say what you want about Brady getting into with with Bill O'Brien or his o-line, say whatever about Jay Cutler for shoving one of his linemen, but that stuff at least shows me they have a real passion; that they've got a fire lit under their asses and get the gravity of the situation they're in.

And since it's already been brought up, in the Backyard Football vs. Pocket Passing debate, if Ben keeps up with his backyard football play, he'll be retired at 34. He's getting older and his physical strengths will start to deteriorate. Brees, Brady, the Mannings, nobody ever claimed they were the most physically gifted quarterbacks. But they win with their minds. If Ben doesn't become a more cerebral quarterback and adapt to become more and more a pocket passer, he'll be out of the league sooner than we think.

zulater
12-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey I hope people ouside the organization keep trashing Ben. Get him pissed, put that chip on his shoulder! Just as long as his anger is directed outside the orgainization and not within, it's all good with me.

JayC
12-30-2012, 06:51 AM
i agree with boomer, i don't care if everyone thinks he's an idiot.

Seven
12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
i agree with boomer, i don't care if everyone thinks he's an idiot.

It's fine if you have a differing opinion, but can you give us one clear example of Ben not being a leader "Monday to Sunday" since 2010?

dislocatedday
12-30-2012, 09:32 AM

BINGO....you nailed it. Boomer should read this post, and then sit down and shut up.

siss
12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Considering he was about 3 minutes away from winning a Super Bowl with the freakin' Bungles of all teams, I think his viewpoints carry a little more weight than those of 'Joe Football Fan.'

I honestly didn't hear much I disagreed with. I get that all the great QB's lead differently, and I get being cool under pressure. But there's a fine line between not letting the pressure get to you and being passive, and at critical times Ben acts too passive IMO. When's the last time you saw Ben just get pissed off? When's the last time you saw Ben get in the face of a lineman who gives up a sack at a critical time or a wide reciever who runs the wrong route? He just shrugs his shoulders and jogs off to the sidelines. Say what you want about Brady getting into with with Bill O'Brien or his o-line, say whatever about Jay Cutler for shoving one of his linemen, but that stuff at least shows me they have a real passion; that they've got a fire lit under their asses and get the gravity of the situation they're in.

And since it's already been brought up, in the Backyard Football vs. Pocket Passing debate, if Ben keeps up with his backyard football play, he'll be retired at 34. He's getting older and his physical strengths will start to deteriorate. Brees, Brady, the Mannings, nobody ever claimed they were the most physically gifted quarterbacks. But they win with their minds. If Ben doesn't become a more cerebral quarterback and adapt to become more and more a pocket passer, he'll be out of the league sooner than we think.

first of all if you payed attention, you would know that Ben does get on they guys and second if you pulled your head out of Tom Bradys ass you would know that Ben has said he does not like getting on the guys publicly. He says that stuff is not for the public.
AND I HAVE NEWS FOR PEOPLE....BEN ISNT TOM BRADY!
So stop comparing him to the Brady Lady. If you don't like Ben's game or his leadership or think he doesn't lead the way you would want...than go cheer for the Brady Lady. Im staying with steelers and the six super bowls.
And if Ben hadn't gotten hurt this would not even be a topic. Pittsburgh fan are some of the most fickle spooled rotten fans ever.

jb500ex
12-30-2012, 01:16 PM

I honestly didn't hear much that and people seem to forget he was league MVP. Something Ben has t sniffed

Count Steeler
12-30-2012, 01:20 PM
that and people seem to forget he was league MVP. Something Ben has t sniffed

I wonder if he would be interested in trading his MVP for a Ring?

Lambert_Loonie
12-30-2012, 01:22 PM

To his defense in that department, the NFL always rewards the players with the best numbers. Ben's never been a "numbers" quarterback. He's a "get the job done" quarterback. :P

tube517
12-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Boomer was a good QB. As an analyst, he blows. Listen to the radio feeds during a Sunday Night game without touching the dial. Watch a CBS pregame show without changing the channel and sit through it.

Tell me how great he is as an analyst.

Lambert_Loonie
12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Boomer was a good QB. As an analyst, he blows. Listen to the radio feeds during a Sunday Night game without touching the dial. Watch a CBS pregame show without changing the channel and sit through it.

Tell me how great he is as an analyst.

I don't really watch the pre and post games shows anymore, but when I do, I can't say I remember ever hearing anything that I egregiously disagreed with.

I'll also admit I'ma little biased to Boomer, since he's the only notable ex-Bungal that'll actually call them out on their bullshit. As someone who lives on the outskirts of Cincinnati, it's very refreshing.

tube517
12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't really watch the pre and post games shows anymore, but when I do, I can't say I remember ever hearing anything that I egregiously disagreed with.

I'll also admit I'ma little biased to Boomer, since he's the only notable ex-Bungal that'll actually call them out on their bullshit. As someone who lives on the outskirts of Cincinnati, it's very refreshing.

Well, if you can stomach Boomer Esiason as an analyst, more power to you.

HollywoodSteel
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I think it's fine to criticize Ben's play lately, but the one thing I haven't seen is lack of leadership or personal responsibility. He is his win worst critic and doesn't like to throw his guys under the bus no matter what boneheaded stuff they do. Does Boomer really know what goes on behind closed doors? Does he have some source we don't know about? I think it's just an example of a talking head seeing a great player struggling and trying to find the most interesting story there, even if it's pretty much all speculation.

HollywoodSteel
12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Are you seriously blaming this season on Ben? Come on man, you're smarter than that! Ben is the reason why the team wasn't eliminated from the playoffs sooner when the defense couldn't stop a bunch of 3 year olds, the running game was complete shit and the special teams weren't very special. But because of one FREAK ACCIDENT, you have come to the conclusion that he is the reason why the season has been lost.

Yep, another example of why Steelers fans are fickle as hell and are overrated in terms of a fanbase. No different than Philly fans. And no, many fans do not appreciate what they have in him...but they will once he retires and the team doesn't win another SB until I'm collecting Social Security.

Yeah, I'm definitely putting you in with our dearly-departed Steelreal. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

I hope I am totally misunderstanding you here, but please tell me you aren't talking about banning someone because of his opinion. As far as I've seen he took no personal shots at other posters. Maybe you just mean that you are putting him in a category in your mind. Is that right?

X-Terminator
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I hope I am totally misunderstanding you here, but please tell me you aren't talking about banning someone because of his opinion. As far as I've seen he took no personal shots at other posters. Maybe you just mean that you are putting him in a category in your mind. Is that right?

You answered your own question. Why the hell would I ban someone simply because of their opinion? C'mon man! :doh2:

Dwinsgames
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
its and old post but the answer to the question of why we ended up 8-8 is in the first post in that thread IMO ...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15969-The-Blame-Game

we where 7-7 at that point ....

In 6 losses....the Steelers have lost the Turn Over battle 17-4

Only the Broncos and Peyton Manning would still have beaten the Steelers if you take away points after turnovers.

denver 1-1 (lost by 12 Broncos scored 7 points off turnovers

Oakland 2-1 (lost by 3 Raiders scored 10 points off turnovers

Tenn 1-1 (lost by 3 Titans scored 3 points off turnovers and 7 by blocked punt

Balt 3-0 (lost by 3 Ravens scored 6 points off turnovers and 7 by punt return

Brown 8-1 (lost by 7 Browns Scored 17 off turnovers

Chargers 2-0 (lost by 10 Chargers Scored 14 off turnovers

then the Dallas game and the Brown fumble changed the outcome where we where ahead and ready to increase that lead it ended tied and Ben blew it at the end for the double whammy Brown / Ben.....

then comes the Bengals and wella here we go again ......

Psycho Ward 86
12-30-2012, 04:59 PM
its and old post but the answer to the question of why we ended up 8-8 is in the first post in that thread IMO ...

then the Dallas game and the Brown fumble changed the outcome where we where ahead and ready to increase that lead it ended tied and Ben blew it at the end for the double whammy Brown / Ben.....

but but but as long as we limit yardage and keep opposing teams off the board, we dont need turnovers :rolleyes:. Nice statline Dwinsgame, people need to see this one because they are under the illusion that this defense played better this season than it really did. (for the injury situation however we played way better than anyone should expect imo)

these last 2 games were pre-2011 stuff. now THATS defense

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes, the world IS coming to an end, folks - a Mark Madden article I agree 100% with.

How many rings does Boomer Esiason have?

By Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent

Ex-Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason criticized Ben Roethlisberger.

That’s like France criticizing Germany for lack of military acumen. Even if a valid point gets made, the track records simply can’t be ignored.

Esiason labeled Roethlisberger a “drama queen” because of his reputation, deserved or not, for embellishing injuries.

What’s that matter as long as Roethlisberger plays and produces?

Read more: How many rings does Boomer Esiason have? (http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/how-many-rings-does-boomer-esiason-have/article_852c0b8d-da54-5b89-8e20-36044d7e876f.html)

NCSteeler
12-31-2012, 02:11 PM

I started the -14 thread, you can blame the d for not getting enough or you can blame they o for coughing it up at critical moments. Either way teams that lose the turn over battle don't play in January

The Bark
12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I dunno, maybe it's just me but 26 TD and 8 INT, a 63.3% completion rate and a 97 QB rating while playing with a patchwork offensive line, yet again, and a very inconsistent running game - not to mention an entirely new offensive system - seems a bit much to complain about.

Did he throw a couple of costly interceptions late in games? Yeah, sure. Did he have a couple of wide receivers consistently drop balls throughout entire games, too? Didn't he also have a couple of running backs unable to hold onto the ball in a certain game? Did he leave Leftwich in the game against Baltimore when he was clearly hurt? Don't think so.

Games and seasons don't come down to one play, regardless of what anyone wants to say. It's a culmination of everyone's efforts, or lack thereof, that puts the team into a make-or-break mode late in a game/season.

That doesn't mean he can't improve his leadership skills, either - but trying to pin a "lost season" on him is just crazy talk.

Kittyfish
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I dunno, maybe it's just me but 26 TD and 8 INT, a 63.3% completion rate and a 97 QB rating while playing with a patchwork offensive line, yet again, and a very inconsistent running game - not to mention an entirely new offensive system - seems a bit much to complain about.

Did he throw a couple of costly interceptions late in games? Yeah, sure. Did he have a couple of wide receivers consistently drop balls throughout entire games, too? Didn't he also have a couple of running backs unable to hold onto the ball in a certain game? Did he leave Leftwich in the game against Baltimore when he was clearly hurt? Don't think so.

Games and seasons don't come down to one play, regardless of what anyone wants to say. It's a culmination of everyone's efforts, or lack thereof, that puts the team into a make-or-break mode late in a game/season.

That doesn't mean he can't improve his leadership skills, either - but trying to pin a "lost season" on him is just crazy talk.
Not just you. Ben is far from perfect, but I still wouldn't trade him for any other QB playing in the the NFL right now. He's the right fit for this team and hopefully will continue to improve and help bring Pittsburgh its seventh (maybe eighth?) Lombardi before he's done.

SteelGhost
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
EFF the boomer, lol.

zulater
01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I'll direct this at anyone who is overly critical of Ben for his career as a whole.

From 1994-97, those 4 Steeler teams overall were more talented than any single team Ben has quarterbacked. Our offensive line was the best in the league over that span anchored by Dermonti Dawson and John Jackson.. The linebackers were the best the Steelers have had in the 3-4 era. Llloyd, Greene, Kirkland, and Chad Brown. Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake in the secondary. Barry foster, Bam Morris, and then in 96-97 an in his prime Jerome Bettis. As receivers we had all pro Yancy Thigpen, and also the underrated Ernie Mills.

Four straight years that team dominated in the regular season. But you know how many Super Bowls they won? 0. How many they went to? 1

I don' know that there's a single year Ben's been a Steelers that you'd look at the roster and say the Steelers were overall the most talented team in the league or were even in the argument for that matter. In my opinion those teams in the 90's absolutely were in the argument for the most talented team in the league each of those seasons. And they won nada.

That's why if you're crying about Ben's entire body of work as a Steeler you're a know nothing idiot! :doh:

steel striker
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I'll direct this at anyone who is overly critical of Ben for his career as a whole.

From 1994-97, those 4 Steeler teams overall were more talented than any single team Ben has quarterbacked. Our offensive line was the best in the league over that span anchored by Dermonti Dawson and John Jackson.. The linebackers were the best the Steelers have had in the 3-4 era. Llloyd, Greene, Kirkland, and Chad Brown. Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake in the secondary. Barry foster, Bam Morris, and then in 96-97 an in his prime Jerome Bettis. As receivers we had all pro Yancy Thigpen, and also the underrated Ernie Mills.

Four straight years that team dominated in the regular season. But you know how many Super Bowls they won? 0. How many they went to? 1

I don' know that there's a single year Ben's been a Steelers that you'd look at the roster and say the Steelers were overall the most talented team in the league or were even in the argument for that matter. In my opinion those teams in the 90's absolutely were in the argument for the most talented team in the league each of those seasons. And they won nada.

That's why if you're crying about Ben's entire body of work as a Steeler you're a know nothing idiot! :doh:

I'm with ya Zu and, if we could get some good o-line play the sky is limit with Ben @ the helm. Instead of Ben running for his life and, making plays when nothing is there.