PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau intends to return in 2013

tube517
12-27-2012, 10:40 PM
LeBeau opened his first meeting of the week with his defense by telling players he'll come back for a 10th season as Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator.

LeBeau, a Hall of Famer, publicly will only say his status is in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. But with the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL for the second consecutive season and fifth time in nine years, there's little reason to think Tomlin would make a change.

"Let's just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers," LeBeau said after practice Thursday. "Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike."

Asked as a follow-up if he would come back if asked, LeBeau smiled and said, "I love Pittsburgh."

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/pittsburgh_steelers_defensive.html

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
glad to hear it. Probably the most M.A.S.H unit lebeau has had to work with yet. And still coming away with #1 and #2 in so many categories? Impressive. Unsatisfactory because of the lack of sacks and turnovers, but still very very impressive. Especially for all the injuries we've dealt with.

My only concern is that year after year it seems like there might be an inkling of chance that lebeau retires and keith butler takes the reigns, but lebeau always stays. Butler keeps getting job offers, and this offseason should be no different. Hope we dont get stuck without lebeau and butler at the same time in the near future. might have our pants around our ankles

pepsyman1
12-27-2012, 11:57 PM
This number one ranking is somewhat of a smoke and mirrors game. We're 10th in points allowed and that's what really matters. We've been up and down this year although nice improvements the last couple of games. The inconsistency is what's really troubling and Lebeau seems to be slow making adjustments. 3 of the first 5 games we gave up more than 25 points and two of those games were against poor teams. The opener against the Broncos and Manning was disheartening. I hope Lebeau shows a little more aggressiveness next year. We've become a very passive defense over the last few years. Tough to watch sometimes.

Chidi29
12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
What do you mean when you talk about "aggressiveness"?

Craic
12-28-2012, 12:09 AM
This number one ranking is somewhat of a smoke and mirrors game. We're 10th in points allowed and that's what really matters. We've been up and down this year although nice improvements the last couple of games. The inconsistency is what's really troubling and Lebeau seems to be slow making adjustments. 3 of the first 5 games we gave up more than 25 points and two of those games were against poor teams. The opener against the Broncos and Manning was disheartening. I hope Lebeau shows a little more aggressiveness next year. We've become a very passive defense over the last few years. Tough to watch sometimes.

That "points allowed" is not necessarily an accurate reflection however, as this year there were quite a few fumbles and INT's that put our defense in a horrible position. The better way to look at it, IMO, is fourth quarter performance, and they dominated teams in the fourth quarter since the Bengals game. I have no problem with the way they played.

Also, if you look at the yards per play in both pass and run, their still first or close too it, which means it's not that they are tops just because they weren't on the field that much. They came out and shut teams down. It's just that unfortunately, the defense came out too many times when the offense was already in field goal range.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean when you talk about "aggressiveness"?

That's also my question. No doubt he failed to be aggressive in the past. Even failed to be agressive in the first few games this year. But then he started rolling the CB's up and going to man coverage, also sending at least five players numerous times. I don't think lack of aggression is the problem.

Chidi29
12-28-2012, 12:11 AM
I think in terms of schematics, we were still very aggressive. Tons of line stunts, overload blitzes, corner/safety coming off the edge, LB fire stunt, etc. All that was still on display.

Steeldude
12-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Need some improved play from the LBs and DL. Hopefully Spence will be fully recovered and ready to help make an impact. It's time to give Mclendon the NT job and provide more playing time for Heyward.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2012, 05:39 AM
I think in terms of schematics, we were still very aggressive. Tons of line stunts, overload blitzes, corner/safety coming off the edge, LB fire stunt, etc. All that was still on display.

I would imagine he may have been talking about the physicality and execution that leads to disruption, splash plays, turnovers, etc.

While I agree I am also impressed with how LeBeau seems to take whatever he is given each year (including arguably average personnel at times) and make the necessary adjustments to create a superior performing unit. LeBeau can be strong and aggressive but also uses finesse and strategy.

He also seems to make the necessary adjustments a lot of teams don't when things aren't working.

43Hitman
12-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Need some improved play from the LBs and DL. Hopefully Spence will be fully recovered and ready to help make an impact. It's time to give Mclendon the NT job and provide more playing time for Heyward.

No doubt.

NCSteeler
12-28-2012, 09:26 AM

And yet very little of it worked. Either the scheme is getting predictable or the players just are not getting it done. On a side note to all those that will be upset he's returning, during the stretch without Ben dick really put some good game plans in and the d did their job well.

43Hitman
12-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I remember earlier in the year when myself and several others were just about convinced that ole Dickey had lost his touch.

- - - Updated - - -

That opinion may have been a bit hastey. :lol:

The Bark
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I wonder how much longer we can expect Butler to stick around?

fansince'76
12-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I wonder how much longer we can expect Butler to stick around?

Good question. I figured LeBeau would be gone for sure after this season, which is why I'm assuming Butler didn't leave before now.

Hindes204
12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I am glad he's coming back...and I hope Butler sticks around so he can take over once Dick finally calls it quits

tube517
12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Good question. I figured LeBeau would be gone for sure after this season, which is why I'm assuming Butler didn't leave before now.

Love LeBeau but I hope we don't lose Butler

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NCSteeler
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna show some ignorance here. What makes everyone think Butler is going to be such a good DC?

Hindes204
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm gonna show some ignorance here. What makes everyone think Butler is going to be such a good DC?

I think just his knowledge of the 3-4 would be invaluable. He has coached under the greatest defensive coordinator in football (IMO), and there are no shortage of teams wanting him as thier DC.

Dwinsgames
12-28-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000118137/article/dick-lebeau-to-pittsburgh-steelers-players-ill-be-back

Provided Tomlin wants him back .....

For Tomlins sake he better bring him back because if he cuts him loose and does not field a def as good it may be the end of the line for him .....

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2012, 07:50 PM

he keeps getting job offers for a reason

oneforthetoe
12-28-2012, 10:55 PM

This.
Don't get me wrong. I am glad we have Butler. When Coach LeBeau retires, if we hire Butler I will be happy. Still, some members here act as though Butler is this proven commodity, that if/when he takes over for "coach" the defense will automatically be equal if not better. How does anybody know that? Position coaches moving up to coordinators is like coordinators becoming head coaches - you just don't know.

So, when "coach" does retire, if the Rooneys decide to hire Butler I'll be happy because I think it a good hire, but if Butler has moved on we will surly find somebody. Lake comes to mind as another possible candidate.

GoSlash27
12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
This.
Don't get me wrong. I am glad we have Butler. When Coach LeBeau retires, if we hire Butler I will be happy. Still, some members here act as though Butler is this proven commodity, that if/when he takes over for "coach" the defense will automatically be equal if not better. How does anybody know that? Position coaches moving up to coordinators is like coordinators becoming head coaches - you just don't know.

So, when "coach" does retire, if the Rooneys decide to hire Butler I'll be happy because I think it a good hire, but if Butler has moved on we will surly find somebody. Lake comes to mind as another possible candidate.

Carnell Lake?
God, I feel old... :heh:

Craic
12-28-2012, 11:16 PM

No, it's actually a good question. I think the feeling is that Butler was being groomed by Lebeau. I sure hope so.

Anyone notice the comments on the article? 3 comments, 2 of them blaming Haley. As my status line says, OC hate: BOHICA!

pepsyman1
12-28-2012, 11:53 PM

I think we were better in the 2nd half of the year with this, but there were quite a few games that these things disappeared. We all talked about how differently the defense plays without Troy and and how the scheme has to be adjusted if we are that dependent on one individual. I didn't see too many safety/corner blitzes this whole year to be honest. I think Troy has one sack and I believe that's the only DB with a sack this year and we usually have quite a few from the secondary normally because of the zone blitz scheme...but there are many times we seemed to back off content to "wait for a mistake". Our sack count is down 4 consecutive years. Again, I think we did better the second half of the year but there were some ugly games. The Broncos, Raiders, And Chargers games still make get aggravated.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Lake comes to mind as another possible candidate.

no way. he's way too young in the coaching business to run this defense. Or his own. The only coaching experience he has is at UCLA in 2009, and the past 2 years with us as a DB coach. He's not ready to move up that fast

oneforthetoe
12-29-2012, 01:08 AM
no way. he's way too young in the coaching business to run this defense. Or his own. The only coaching experience he has is at UCLA in 2009, and the past 2 years with us as a DB coach. He's not ready to move up that fast

I didn't say he was ready to take over next year. If LeBeau coaches two more years, and in the meantime we lose Butler, I think Lake could be a candidate. Remember we have a head coach that was only a coordinator for one season before becoming our guy. If the Rooneys are willing to select a head coach with one year of experience at the coordinator level, it is reasonable to think that they might consider a guy with a few years as a position coach for a coordinator job.

Craic
12-29-2012, 01:23 AM
I think we were better in the 2nd half of the year with this, but there were quite a few games that these things disappeared. We all talked about how differently the defense plays without Troy and and how the scheme has to be adjusted if we are that dependent on one individual. I didn't see too many safety/corner blitzes this whole year to be honest. I think Troy has one sack and I believe that's the only DB with a sack this year and we usually have quite a few from the secondary normally because of the zone blitz scheme...but there are many times we seemed to back off content to "wait for a mistake". Our sack count is down 4 consecutive years. Again, I think we did better the second half of the year but there were some ugly games. The Broncos, Raiders, And Chargers games still make get aggravated.

I'm speaking out of ignorance here, but I would surmise that the reason you're not seeing the DB's get sacks is because of the new pass coverage Lebeau has instilled. It's why we were dominant against the pass this year and especially when it counted.

Seven
12-29-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm glad Coach LeBeau is coming back. I feel like this is probably the last tour. I haven't felt that way about him before. I've never doubted he would be coming back after a season until now.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I didn't say he was ready to take over next year. If LeBeau coaches two more years, and in the meantime we lose Butler, I think Lake could be a candidate. Remember we have a head coach that was only a coordinator for one season before becoming our guy. If the Rooneys are willing to select a head coach with one year of experience at the coordinator level, it is reasonable to think that they might consider a guy with a few years as a position coach for a coordinator job.

thats still very different. tomlin had been coaching since 1995 before he got his big break as an nfl head coach. just to put that in perspective, in 1995, carnell lake was half way done with his nfl career as a player.