PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Flozell Adams to 2-yr deal

tyler289
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Jay_Glazer
I am reporting the steelers have agreed to terms with pro bowl tackle and former cowboy flozell adams on a 2 year deal

Steelers agree to terms with T Flozell Adams on a multi-year deal. More ahead on NFL Network and NFL.com - Jason LaCanforna

Another solid OL signing.

tube517
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/1076270-100.stm

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
His price had better have come down considerably.

Chidi29
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Thought he was going to end up being too much money. Good pickup.

steeldevil
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Hopefully he was not too expensive. Of course, if there is a clause in his contract that says he will lose money everytime he holds or trips someone, then he may owe the Steelers money... :rofl2:

Shea
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Flozell ... is that a nickname?

I know that this should be taken more seriously by me, but what the hell kind of name is that?

It sounds like a drug for urinary problems.

(I know guys ... even I am wondering why I am typing this?? :doh2:)

siss
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Has Hazmat been called yet? They'll need to hose him down first thing tomorrow.

Kaeg
07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Is it a good signing? I heard that he wasn't exactly stellar in his work out. Made me think they really didn't want him. Not saying he did bad, but just they they weren't jumping up and down about him. This comes as a shock to me for that, and the fact that time has passed, and the buzz about him seemed to die down to absolute zero.

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Is it a good signing? I heard that he wasn't exactly stellar in his work out. Made me think they really didn't want him. Not saying he did bad, but just they they weren't jumping up and down about him. This comes as a shock to me for that, and the fact that time has passed, and the buzz about him seemed to die down to absolute zero.

If they had raved about being blown away by him, then he would have cost 4 million dollars. By acting disinterested, it cooled down the competition and hopefully we got him at a better price. Nice.

siss
07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
If they had raved about being blown away by him, then he would have cost 4 million dollars. By acting disinterested, it cooled down the competition and hopefully we got him at a better price. Nice.

They played hard to get...

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Pittsburgh coaches are determining the best fit for Adams, according to a source. The Steelers won a Super Bowl with left tackle Max Starks (http://www.nfl.com/players/maxstarks/profile?id=STA603966) playing on the right side, and it could be the case that Adams, a longtime stalwart at left tackle for the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL), will be on that side in Pittsburgh.
The Cowboys released Adams early this offseason to avoid paying his $6.5 million salary, and though his pay has declined with age, he was seen as many as the best tackle on the market. At least four teams had interest in Adams, who had been seeking a deal in the $3 million-to-$4 million range per season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81960954/article/steelers-agree-to-twoyear-deal-with-freeagent-ot-adams?module=HP_headlines

Kaeg
07-29-2010, 05:31 PM

If that's how it went down, then that was a damn genius move on the Steelers' part. Risky, but apparently paid off big. (As long as we got him for a decent price.)

86WARD
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM
A lot of people don't know that Flozell is deaf in his right ear and that led to some of the penalties he got called for. He's a mauler in the run game and will help big time if the Steelers use him on the right side. He's an alright fit on the left, but on the right he'll be much much better.

steeldevil
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM

I agree with this as well, but we need to see the contract to know for sure. Lets hope that is what we did...

Killer
07-29-2010, 05:33 PM
HA!

Just like I perdicted

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't care what side he plays on. At 6-7, 338-pounds, that's one helluva load beside Ben. ( or Byron )

polamalubeast
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I must confess that I will always detest the player when he was in Dallas.

It was a very vicious player!

Jason Tuck the Giants is well placed to talk about.

But I hope he will do good work in Pittsburgh and then I'll love it!

7willBheaven
07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Interesting...I think they wanted Pitts...but as soon as he signed with the Seahawks they jumped at Adams...i'd rather had Pitts also...he's younger...and has that all important thing to the Steelers...position flexibility. And they signed Adams for TWO years? Thats the biggest shock i think...i expected a 1 yr deal for any Vet OL signing. I'm guessing that Adrian Jones or Dorian Brooks will see the door now.

Killer
07-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Is English your second language?

NJarhead
07-29-2010, 05:56 PM

But I hope he will do good work in Pittsburgh and then I'll love it!

Beat me to it. I know we needed the help, but he's a dirty player. In my eyes, he's more a hired hand than a Steeler.

steelerdude15
07-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't know much about this guy, but I've heard some positive and some negative news. I hope he plays well for us and his contract isn't much.

SteelerFanInStl
07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I just saw this on NFL Access. I'm torn because his skills have definitely gone down hill. Hopefully he'll play well for us.

Chidi29
07-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Just looked up the holding numbers that Flozell is constantly accused of.

He was called for three holds last year.

By comparision, here's how our guys stacked up.

Max Starks - 4
Chris Kemoeatu - 3
Justin Hartwig - 3
Trai Essex - 1
Willie Colon - 2

One more hold call than our right tackle last year for a big run blocker? I can live with that.

polamalubeast
07-29-2010, 06:13 PM

yes

venom
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
According to Pro Football Focus, Adams allowed eight sacks, seven quarterback pressures and 34 quarterback hits with the Cowboys last season. OUCH !

BigNastyDefense
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Interesting...I think they wanted Pitts...but as soon as he signed with the Seahawks they jumped at Adams...i'd rather had Pitts also...he's younger...and has that all important thing to the Steelers...position flexibility. And they signed Adams for TWO years? Thats the biggest shock i think...i expected a 1 yr deal for any Vet OL signing. I'm guessing that Adrian Jones or Dorian Brooks will see the door now.

I think they signed him for two years because there is the chance that Willie Colon won't be back in time for the start of next season. So the extra year is an insurance policy on that. Not to mention that it's not guaranteed so he can be cut if we get Colon back and don't wanna keep Adams.

ricardisimo
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Why does it seem like our FO has no interest in testing out our draft picks? You're telling me a 35-year-old Cowboy is a better option than any of five or six guys on the roster already? I don't buy it.

Killer
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
You're telling me a 35-year-old Cowboy is a better option than any of five or six guys on the roster already?

Obviously, yes

BlastFurnace
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Hopefully he was not too expensive. Of course, if there is a clause in his contract that says he will lose money everytime he holds or trips someone, then he may owe the Steelers money... :rofl2:

Well...he's replacing someone who has perfected the False Start penalty.

I like this signing. Great job Colbert.

BlastFurnace
07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Why does it seem like our FO has no interest in testing out our draft picks? You're telling me a 35-year-old Cowboy is a better option than any of five or six guys on the roster already? I don't buy it.

Certainly doesn't look good for Hills.

86WARD
07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Just looked up the holding numbers that Flozell is constantly accused of.

He was called for three holds last year.

By comparision, here's how our guys stacked up.

Max Starks - 4
Chris Kemoeatu - 3
Justin Hartwig - 3
Trai Essex - 1
Willie Colon - 2

One more hold call than our right tackle last year for a big run blocker? I can live with that.

Look up false starts...Colon's gotta be at least 16...lol...he was always good for one a game.

Killer
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
had to see what the Cowgirls fans had to say - not much

eek

It will be interesting to see the numbers on the deal. Kind of expected this since Colon went down with that injury. Good luck to him.

Had to do a ton for his ego... probably was wondering if he was completely done. this is a good move for him with that offense, although his false starts and the cold comes very quick in pitt, those mountains and 3 rivers bring mad wind, his joints will be stifffffff

Flo is older and on the decline but not completely over the hill. It may be a good stop gap move for them

86WARD
07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
According to Pro Football Focus, Adams allowed eight sacks, seven quarterback pressures and 34 quarterback hits with the Cowboys last season. OUCH !

He's not a LT anymore. At RT he can play for a couple more years.

SteelerFanInStl
07-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Certainly doesn't look good for Hills.

Hills has had plenty of time to prove that he's worthy of a roster spot.

Flozell committed a lot of penalties and gave up a lot of sacks last year. I hope that he does better for us.

Killer
07-29-2010, 06:56 PM
uh-oh

even PFT likes the move

The Steelers have signed a rather intriguing option to fill their massive hole at tackle.

The longtime Dallas Cowboy has lost a step, but still remains a force in the running game and upgrades a thin position for the Steelers.

Pittsburgh has reportedly yet to determine what side of the line Adams will play, but Max Starks and Adams figure to be the two starters no matter how they line up. La Canfora guesses that Max Starks could move back to right tackle, a position he played during the 2006 Super Bowl season.

Killer
07-29-2010, 07:02 PM
yes

Quebecers

hotrodder07
07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Hm. Sounds good to me. He's our best option right now, and I'm hoping he can fill the void nicely. Time will tell, though.

Overall, I like it. =D

Killer
07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
yeah - Everybody that wants to run the ball should be jumping for joy. Steelers are going to have to run the ball for the first month, for sure, and Flo's one of the better run blocking OT's in the game, even though he's up there in age. 6-7 Weight: 338 - more meat on the line is good.

I'll pencil him in

Starks at LT, Kemoeatu at LG, Hartwig at center, Pouncey at RG and Adams at RT

Burghfan58
07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Thats some serious beef on the o-line. If they can't move the chains on the ground this season, something is wrong.

polamalubeast
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Quebecers

oui!(yes)

Devilsdancefloor
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
kemp [ulling to the right that is alot of beef running that way. Hartwig had surgery to his shoulder this off season any word on how his rehab is coming? MIght pencil in Legursky at C if hartwig is still rehabbing or even pouncey...

Killer
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know if Pouncey is ready to make all the line calls just yet, if he's not ready, give him a year under the belt at G.

I still like mine better...

fresh meat!

Mt. Flo

(he's the tall one)

http://i39.tinypic.com/35mo7wp.jpg

st33lersguy
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, that was quickly done after Pitts signed with the seahawks. At this point this was their best option

Soufjerzz
07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice job F.O. I love this signing because it creates more competition in a critical position.

steeldevil
07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
And of course the most important question of all:
How much money is Adams going to give Hoke for the #76? :noidea: :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I hope they signed him for 2 years because of the uncertainty of a 2011 season.....not because they doubt Willie will get back up to form.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Definite improvement over what we have at RT but I still hope Foster and Chris Scott(if healthy) get a fair shot at the job. Adams is not a long term solution.

Also anyone hear who we had to cut to make room for Flozell?

HometownGal
07-29-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't care what side he plays on. At 6-7, 338-pounds, that's one helluva load beside Ben. ( or Byron )

Exactly and I'm happy to have him in the B & G. :thumbsup: I'm suddenly feeling somewhat better about the state of our OL this season and I'm sure both Ben and Lefty are too.

SteelGhost
07-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I will hold my opinion until I see FA playing, but I trust the FO as I usually do :thumbsup:

The Duke
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Mendenhall should be thrilled! ben, well....colon wasn't the greatest pass protector either

Pass protection is not Adams forte anymore, but at RT he'll be more than capable

tube517
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
:rofl:

86WARD
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know if Pouncey is ready to make all the line calls just yet, if he's not ready, give him a year under the belt at G.

I still like mine better...

Winner. If they can get Pouncey rolling at Center, Essex or Foster maybe even Scott could step in at G...much improved!

klick81
07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Completely unexpected...good signing. I do agree with hosing this dude down tho...he reeks of cow shit right now.

solardave
07-30-2010, 03:18 AM

This could very well be the case.

Galax Steeler
07-30-2010, 03:35 AM
I kinda like the signing myself I know he has been known for some dirty plays but I think he could help us out in a position that we really need help.

Austin87
07-30-2010, 04:06 AM
I really like this signing. Flozell is just huge and with his run blocking ability he should make a difference.

I also like that it is a 2-year deal. This year he'll play RT, but when Colon returns Flozell can possibly be moved inside to the RG spot when Pouncy moves to Center.

Butch
07-30-2010, 05:13 AM

More of a move of Desperation if you ask me. Couldn't draft a lineman to save our lives since Tomlin has been here and so now we have to pay the price by getting a guy who resorts to cheap shots and penalties at key situations. Good luck to the new Oline coach your gonna need it. Remember we still have B.A. who just loves to run the ball. Yea!!! Let the fun begin.

Killer
07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm suddenly feeling somewhat better about the state of our OL this season and I'm sure both Ben and Lefty are too.

ayep

considering until now we had our season's hopes resting on Trai Essex

Trai Essex, I say

anybody that doesn't think FLo is an upgrade to Trai Essex at OT is a complete fool

BigBenFn7
07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty happy about this signing, all things considered. It's nice that the Steelers went out and found the best guy available to fill a problem area.

steelpride12
07-30-2010, 10:50 AM
I think Colbert did a good job here getting him for not as much as I thought and even though his skills have declined a player needed very much and a veteran for the line. I know he is a dirty player, but as long as he goes out there plays his game and does his job I will have no problem with him.

Iron Steeler
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Just dont rack up stupid penaltys Adams

tihmtahm
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

He should fit in perfectly. Looks like we just signed more of the same just in a bigger body.

SteelerEmpire
07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
We all know all Dallas Cowboys really want to play for Pittsburgh anyway...

7willBheaven
07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
According to this article

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076468-100.stm

Starks will be staying at LT and Flozell will be playing RT...they even said Kugler doesnt really like moving guys around too much from their previous season positions...so unless something happens looks like that is how its going to be.

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2010, 03:16 PM
linebackers Lindsey Witten and Johnny Williams, and long snapper Matt Stewart were cut to make room according to Steelers.com

HollywoodSteel
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
linebackers Lindsey Witten and Johnny Williams, and long snapper Matt Stewart were cut to make room according to Steelers.com

Wow, they had to cut three guys to make room for him. I guess he really is big.

tony hipchest
07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
fresh from twitter-
2.5 mil this season, 5 mil next season. 0 guaranteed.
Steelersdepot (https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot)
Post Gazette: Steelers release terms of Adams' contract http://bit.ly/aHRfVo #steelers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23steelers) #nfl (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nfl)

Kaeg
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow, they had to cut three guys to make room for him. I guess he really is big.
:rofl::rofl:

stillers4me
07-30-2010, 05:33 PM
[/URL][URL="http://blogs.nfl.com/category/nfl-network"] (http://blogs.nfl.com/)

NFL Network (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/nfl-network/)Tomlin: Adams will play right tackle for Steelers (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/30/tomlin-adams-will-play-right-tackle-for-steelers/)

Posted: July 30th, 2010 | Frank Tadych |
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with reporters for the first time at training camp Friday and clarified the team’s plan for newly signed Flozell Adams.

When the Steelers agreed to a two-year contract (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81960954/article/steelers-agree-to-twoyear-deal-with-freeagent-ot-adams) with Adams on Thursday, it was thought the move could cause some re-shuffling along the offensive line. But Tomlin said Friday that Adams will open the season at right tackle, along with rookie fifth-round draft pick Chris Scott, leaving Max Starks in place as the starting left tackle...........
ttp://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/30/tomlin-adams-will-play-right-tackle-for-steelers/?module=HP_headlines (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/30/tomlin-adams-will-play-right-tackle-for-steelers/?module=HP_headlines)

7willBheaven
07-30-2010, 06:56 PM
fresh from twitter-
2.5 mil this season, 5 mil next season. 0 guaranteed.
Steelersdepot (https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot)
Post Gazette: Steelers release terms of Adams' contract http://bit.ly/aHRfVo #steelers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23steelers) #nfl (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nfl)

Interesting numbers...I like that they got him cheap this year...but 5 mil next year...hopefully we have a cheaper option thats just as good and can cut him w/o any money owed (that part i do like).

I hope they can sign Lindsey Witten to the PS...i think he could have potential...at least as a decent BU LB in the future.

7willBheaven
07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
For those wondering Adams is wearing #71 and is already practicing with the 1st team at RT per Wexell

Wheelz
07-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I was excited about the prospect of having him when I first heard about the interest, but after hearing the numbers, I dismissed it as yet another vet FA we couldn't afford or wouldn't spend the money on. With Willie gone, there was a big hole to fill!

I'm thrilled with the signing, think the change of scenery will be a great motivation for that very, very big man. :yay3:

oneforthetoe
07-31-2010, 03:30 PM
As a replacement for Colon on the right side, I'm fine with this deal. I don't think that Flozell has much left in his tank. Also, I am not confident that he will improve our running game much, since the man he is replacing was are most consistent run blocker. Still, he should have one good year left in him at RT.

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
As a replacement for Colon on the right side, I'm fine with this deal. I don't think that Flozell has much left in his tank. Also, I am not confident that he will improve our running game much, since the man he is replacing was are most consistent run blocker. Still, he should have one good year left in him at RT.

I forget where i found the statistic, but there was an article 2 weeks ago that indicated that RB's averaged 5-6 YPC when running next to Flo's behind.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I forget where i found the statistic, but there was an article 2 weeks ago that indicated that RB's averaged 5-6 YPC when running next to Flo's behind.
And that's one big behind.

oneforthetoe
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, that was a younger "big behind." Still, I truly hope he proves me wrong. Maybe with the combination of Pouncy at RG and Flozell's big tukas on the right side we will find something akin to a road grader? One thing we won't see many "bull rushes" over the RG as long as FLO is in there.

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, that was a younger "big behind." Still, I truly hope he proves me wrong. Maybe with the combination of Pouncy at RG and Flozell's big tukas on the right side we will find something akin to a road grader? One thing we won't see many "bull rushes" over the RG as long as FLO is in there.

Nope, this was just last season.

Bolded part: Huh???

oneforthetoe
08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Nope, this was just last season.

Bolded part: Huh???

I meant even if Flo has lost a step (which I think he has) while that makes him susceptible to speed rushers, his 350 pound frame will not get run over.

Plus, if an actual bull did try and run him over, he would probably just eat it as a pre-dinner snack..