PDA

View Full Version : Two Steelers Selected to the 2013 Pro Bowl

salamander
12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Steelers center Maurkice Pounceyhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/maurkice-pouncey/9d33439a-ec2b-4a65-a2a2-0b63719b0604/) and tight end Heath Millerhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/heath-miller/ada7ab1b-9acd-421a-bed0-79ccc4542630/) have been selected to the 2013 AFC Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL. The Steelers are sending multiple players to the Pro Bowl for the 12th straight season and the 21st time in the last 24 seasons.

Pouncey is making his third consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl, including his second as a starter. He has started 14-of-15 games this season, including one at left guard, and has quickly become the leader on a youthful offensive line.

more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Two-Steelers-Selected-to-the-2013-Pro-Bowl/1221d518-dc4b-437c-9fbc-26e283c27f51

Seven
12-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Thank god Heath is going. I realize he won't be playing, but I hope he gets to go to Hawaii and have a great time.

Devilsdancefloor
12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
WOW to bad heath go hurt! i am surprised no one on D like clark got a nod

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
WOW to bad heath go hurt! i am surprised no one on D like clark got a nod

Seriously, for all the big deal that was made in the media about us having the #1 defense (even though I think we all knew that was just a stat), you'd think at least one guy would've been picked. Problem is, I don't know who. Clark will never make it because Ed Reed has FS locked down on name recognition for as long as he's still playing. Troy and Harrison (and maybe Woodley) are the only ones on our team with the name recognition to make it, and they were all hurt half the season. The only other guy who was even remotely worthy of individual recognition was Timmons, but his numbers weren't that impressive on a national stage.

Moose
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Congrats to both ! Enjoy yourselves. Kick back in the sun and have a few brews ( or umbrella drinks ) for me ! Where's the RUM ???

st33lersguy
12-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Should have been Heath and Suisham, Suisham got robbed, and Pouncey made it? That is just based on name recognition, he wasn't that impressive this year and he played god awful the past 3 games

zulater
12-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Clark and Timmons were both deserving. And Max Starks isn't far off either.

Count Steeler
12-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Congrats Heath and Maurkice.

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Should have been Heath and Suisham, Suisham got robbed, and Pouncey made it? That is just based on name recognition, he wasn't that impressive this year and he played god awful the past 3 games

In fairness, the kicker who made it only missed one field goal all year, so it's hard to argue with that.

Pouncey I don't know about, but I might just agree with you. I wasn't paying that close attention to him, but in other years he would do things to stand out and MAKE you pay attention. From a purely selfish standpoint, I kind of wish he hadn't made it, because all that did was drive up his price tag by about $1.5M a year when it comes time to re-sign him.

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2012, 10:05 PM
lol berry, reed, ngata

GBMelBlount
12-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Seriously, for all the big deal that was made in the media about us having the #1 defense (even though I think we all knew that was just a stat), you'd think at least one guy would've been picked. Problem is, I don't know who.

Clark will never make it because Ed Reed has FS locked down on name recognition for as long as he's still playing. Troy and Harrison (and maybe Woodley) are the only ones on our team with the name recognition to make it, and they were all hurt half the season. The only other guy who was even remotely worthy of individual recognition was Timmons, but his numbers weren't that impressive on a national stage.

I wonder how many NFL teams have had the number one defense and no pro bowl players. People can say that our defense wasn't deserving but to me, the fact that we somehow accomplished this as a team without a single standout player (using pro bowl as the definition) is beyond amazing to me.

Chidi29
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Congrats to both!

salamander
12-27-2012, 05:49 AM
When was the last time we had only offensive players selected to the pro bowl with no defensive players?

zulater
12-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Pouncey's play fell off noticably later in the year. But I think part of that was attributable to him going back and forth from guard to center. Plus he had seemed to get to a real comfort level working with Colon on his left and Foster on his right. When Colon went out it disrupted the middle of the line to the point that I think Pouncey either was trying to overcompensate or he wasn't sure who was picking up what.

No question he's All pro talent wise. but he probably didn't deserve Pro bowl recogniction this season. I said it once I'll say it again, Max Starks was our most consistent o-lineman for the season as a whole. He may or may not be Pro Bowl worthy, but as Steelers go he'd be in my top 5 for overall MVP.

countdown to Chidi explosion for Max Starks love. :countdown: :boom: :heh:

fansince'76
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Clark will never make it because Ed Reed has FS locked down on name recognition for as long as he's still playing.

Yep. And that's why the whole thing is a crock of shit. I'm kinda surprised Ray Lewis and Polamalu weren't named to it again as well. The Pro Bowl wasn't meant to be a lifetime achievement award.

Austin87
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Congrats to them both! Heath especially played at a very high level this year.

salamander
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
ROETHLISBERGER, TIMMONS, CLARK & SUISHAM NAMED 2013 PRO BOWL ALTERNATES

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/roethlisberger-timmons-clark-suisham-named-2013-pro-bowl-alternates/

However they are 2nd alternates, not first alternates.

Chidi29
12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Pouncey's play fell off noticably later in the year. But I think part of that was attributable to him going back and forth from guard to center. Plus he had seemed to get to a real comfort level working with Colon on his left and Foster on his right. When Colon went out it disrupted the middle of the line to the point that I think Pouncey either was trying to overcompensate or he wasn't sure who was picking up what.

No question he's All pro talent wise. but he probably didn't deserve Pro bowl recogniction this season. I said it once I'll say it again, Max Starks was our most consistent o-lineman for the season as a whole. He may or may not be Pro Bowl worthy, but as Steelers go he'd be in my top 5 for overall MVP.

countdown to Chidi explosion for Max Starks love. :countdown: :boom: :heh:

I saw the "Starks isn't far off either" comment...had to contain myself. :chuckle:

Calling a lineman on this squad most consistent isn't really saying much. But even at that, I'd give that award to Ramon Foster.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Starks is dealing with a fairly serious injury of his own (back? ankle?) and that he goes under the knife in the offseason to fix it. I don't think he was ever that good this year, but his play has really dropped off the past couple weeks. Could be the quality of pass rushers he's facing, too.

steeldawg
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
pouncey did not have a pro bowl year is anyone else deserved to go i would say timmons

zulater
12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
pouncey did not have a pro bowl year is anyone else deserved to go i would say timmons

Ryan Clark.

st33lersguy
12-27-2012, 05:47 PM

I would say Suisham, only one miss that wasn't beyond 50 yards on grass, 3 game-winners, very reliable, I say Suisham

zulater
12-28-2012, 05:39 AM
I saw the "Starks isn't far off either" comment...had to contain myself. :chuckle:

Calling a lineman on this squad most consistent isn't really saying much. But even at that, I'd give that award to Ramon Foster.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Starks is dealing with a fairly serious injury of his own (back? ankle?) and that he goes under the knife in the offseason to fix it. I don't think he was ever that good this year, but his play has really dropped off the past couple weeks. Could be the quality of pass rushers he's facing, too.

The one lineman often overlooked, however, is the one who may have had the best season. Left tackle Max Starks has played every single offensive snap in 2012 after returning from late-January ACL surgery. He has allowed just 3 1/2 sacks, even though he usually draws the best pass rusher on the opponent's defense.

Starks will be an unrestricted free agent and should command a good contract somewhere, if not with the Steelers. He has played on one-year contracts in each of the past two seasons and was not re-signed by the Steelers this year until July 17.

"Yes, the fire is still there," said Starks, who turns 31 in two weeks. "I don't see myself in a backup role again in my career. I am starter-capable and I'm capable of playing an entire season, and that's a role I want to take."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-choose-injured-te-miller-as-team-mvp-668107/

GBMelBlount
12-28-2012, 05:48 AM
What I respect about Max is it SEEMS that he has become more serious about his career as he has gotten older.

Most people physically pique in their late 20's and have to work harder to maintain their strength and endurance.

He may also be improving his skill & and techniques.

Admittedly I have been down on him at times because although a great person I feel he has lacked intensity.

Regardless, I have a new found respect for Max.