PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fans Might See Favorite Players Gone In 2013

SteelerEmpire
12-26-2012, 10:58 AM
...The following players will become unrestricted free agents after the season: NT Casey Hampton, S Will Allen, T Max Starks, LB Larry Foote, LS Greg Warren, G Ramon Foster, C/G Doug Legursky, CB Keenan Lewis, S Ryan Mundy, CB Justin King, QB Charlie Batch, QB Byron Leftwich, WR Plaxico Burress, RB Rashard Mendenhall and WR Mike Wallace...

LINK: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/26/steelers-fans-might-see-favorite-players-gone-in-2013/

Seven
12-26-2012, 11:29 AM
...The following players will become unrestricted free agents after the season: NT Casey Hampton, S Will Allen, T Max Starks, LB Larry Foote, LS Greg Warren, G Ramon Foster, C/G Doug Legursky, CB Keenan Lewis, S Ryan Mundy, CB Justin King, QB Charlie Batch, QB Byron Leftwich, WR Plaxico Burress, RB Rashard Mendenhall and WR Mike Wallace...

LINK: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/26/steelers-fans-might-see-favorite-players-gone-in-2013/

Gregg Warren? Yeah, it's really going to break the bank to keep him :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Not many of those guys are what I would call "favorites." Bring back Lewis and Allen, and maybe a couple of the linemen if you can get them for cheap, but if not, no big deal. And the sooner they can get Mundy's sorry ass out the door, the better.

salamander
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Didn't realize how long that list was. Should be an interesting off-season.

steelerdude15
12-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd like for the Steelers to keep Max and Will. I'd love for Keenan to stay, I think that he and Ike would make a great duo. I can't forget about Ramon and Doug, they are good depth for the O-line.

Dwinsgames
12-26-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15673-Players-at-the-end-of-the-line-in-B-amp-G

basically covered over a month ago here with extra data as well

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Didn't realize how long that list was. Should be an interesting off-season.

Well, it's pretty rare for anyone but the rookies and the star players to have more than a 2-year contract, so it's natural that at least a quarter of the team is going to come up for some sort of free agency in any given season. Thankfully it's no one too important except probably Lewis and maybe Starks.

86WARD
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Lewis, Allen and Warren would be the Top-3 in my book to keep from that list. After the restructures are done, I make an offer to Wallace.

BlastFurnace
12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm ready to turn the page and get the younger guys to take over for the most part.

I still hope there is a way to keep Wallace and Lewis.

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
would like to see lewis, foster, wallace, allen, legursky, starks, and warren back if possible. in that order of priority.

btw, anyone else notice that even our LONG SNAPPER of all people is injury prone. How many times has he been on IR, like 2-3 times? :lol:

ill never forget when he tore his acl on the last play of the packers/steelers game in 2009 with no time on the clock. on an extra point lol

Edman
12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Lewis, Starks, and Allen need to stay.

Everyone else can go.

stillers4me
12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Without Legursky, we have no backups. :noidea:

Count Steeler
12-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Does the long snapper really need to take a roster spot?

salamander
12-26-2012, 09:22 PM

Would you rather someone like James Harrison take over the long snapping duties? :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 09:31 PM

Seriously, with how much roster spots and cap space are valued in this league, you would think at least one team would try to teach someone else to do that job. Hell, just find two or three special-teams scrubs who don't have shit else to do, and I'm sure they'd gladly practice long snapping all offseason for a chance to lock in a roster spot. If they all turn out to suck at it, then fine, get a regular long snapper.

Maybe I'm just so naive that I'm underestimating the skill you need to do the job right every time, but seriously. Hiking a football across the room is not something I think is very hard to learn if you spend any time on it. Like an hour a day with someone coaching you, and you ought to have it down PERFECTLY within a month.

Craic
12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I think Allen, Foote, Legursky, and Lewis stays. Hampton might come back if the price is right for the Steelers. Starks will be iffy. The last two years may have just priced him out of our range, but I hope not. Who would have thought that he would become the lineman that no one wants to leave?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready to turn the page and get the younger guys to take over for the most part.

I still hope there is a way to keep Wallace and Lewis.

Do you think Wallace regains form next year when all the contract issues are done?

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Do you think Wallace regains form next year when all the contract issues are done?

Wait -- I've got it! Switch Wallace to long snapper! That'll let him work on his fundamentals AND he'll be the fastest long snapper in the league by far. No one will match his explosiveness.

BlastFurnace
12-26-2012, 11:34 PM
I think Allen, Foote, Legursky, and Lewis stays. Hampton might come back if the price is right for the Steelers. Starks will be iffy. The last two years may have just priced him out of our range, but I hope not. Who would have thought that he would become the lineman that no one wants to leave?

- - - Updated - - -

I think he is worth the risk. I think a complete offseason learning the offense will help him.

Craic
12-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Wait -- I've got it! Switch Wallace to long snapper! That'll let him work on his fundamentals AND he'll be the fastest long snapper in the league by far. No one will match his explosiveness.

You really oughta get a kick in the arse for that one!

It reminds me of a play we used to run in grade school during recess. The snapper would hike the ball, touch the QB's hands with it, then take off running with the ball. We always justified it by saying that the QB touched it and so it was just like a hand off.

steelreserve
12-27-2012, 01:09 AM
You really oughta get a kick in the arse for that one!

It reminds me of a play we used to run in grade school during recess. The snapper would hike the ball, touch the QB's hands with it, then take off running with the ball. We always justified it by saying that the QB touched it and so it was just like a hand off.

Yeah, we had that play in HS. I think we called it "the stranger."

.. wait, crap, nevermind. That was something else entirely. :uhoh:

Craic
12-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Yeah, we had that play in HS. I think we called it "the stranger."

.. wait, crap, nevermind. That was something else entirely. :uhoh:

Some days, you seriously worry me. :puke:

NCSteeler
12-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Seriously, with how much roster spots and cap space are valued in this league, you would think at least one team would try to teach someone else to do that job. Hell, just find two or three special-teams scrubs who don't have shit else to do, and I'm sure they'd gladly practice long snapping all offseason for a chance to lock in a roster spot. If they all turn out to suck at it, then fine, get a regular long snapper.

Maybe I'm just so naive that I'm underestimating the skill you need to do the job right every time, but seriously. Hiking a football across the room is not something I think is very hard to learn if you spend any time on it. Like an hour a day with someone coaching you, and you ought to have it down PERFECTLY within a month.
Absolutely how, hard could it be

LLT
12-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire

LINK: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-gone-in-2013/

I actually think that Cortez Allen will eventually be a better CB than Lewis or King....DeCastro will be an upgrade over Foster and Legursky...Gilbert will turn out to be a better LT than Starks..... Brown/Sanders are a legitimate 1/2 WR combo.

That leaves a draft or free agency in which we need an ILB...safety (safeties)...a backup QB. Possibly a WR...RB...NT..and OLB.

I think we resign either Foster or Legs...either Mundy or Allen....and the rest will be based on risk /reward. Their contribution vs their attitude and cost.

Its just like passing....You can teach someone to throw a spiral....but not necesarily throw a spiral and hit a 6 inch target on a regular basis. A long snapper has to be MORE precise on hitting the holders hands, than a QB does in hitting a recievers.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Without Legursky, we have no backups. :noidea:

Didn't we have one of our best OL performances with Legursky starting at center and Pouncey at Guard.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I actually think that Cortez Allen will eventually be a better CB than Lewis or King....DeCastro will be an upgrade over Foster and Legursky...Gilbert will turn out to be a better LT than Starks..... Brown/Sanders are a legitimate 1/2 WR combo.

That leaves a draft or free agency in which we need an ILB...safety (safeties)...a backup QB. Possibly a WR...RB...NT..and OLB.

I think we resign either Foster or Legs...either Mundy or Allen....and the rest will be based on risk /reward. Their contribution vs their attitude and cost.

I think you are right on Allen. He could be special.

I gotta say it is frustrating to see the high draft Oline talent (i.e. Gilbert & DeCastro) developing so slowly.

How different this year could have been if we had a stout line for our ground game.

I agree Brown and Sanders could be a good one-two combination.

Do you think Cotchery could be a solid #3 (I like him) and do you think their would be any reason to keep Burress?