PDA

View Full Version : Have The Steelers EVER Had A Top "Passing" QB ?

SteelerEmpire
12-26-2012, 08:13 AM
The answer is yes. I was surprised. I didn't know Ben was doing that well up against Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Otto Graham, Roger Staubach, etc... ? But I didn't know Tony Romo was doing that well either ? But I guess it beat catching passes under Bradshaw (#152)... Swann and Stallworth must have went through hell :). Thank goodness the "Steel Curtain" was there to have his back...

LINK: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

BlastFurnace
12-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I want the offense Haley ran in Arizona.

Is it possible? Can Ben pull the trigger on quick passes like Warner did?

fansince'76
12-26-2012, 09:01 AM
I want the offense Haley ran in Arizona.

Is it possible? Can Ben pull the trigger on quick passes like Warner did?

We're going to need a WR like Fitz, then. A lot of that offense was predicated on Warner throwing it upstairs and Fitz taking it away from defenders. And as far as the quick passes go, Ben was doing just fine until he got hurt.

Steelreal
12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
What happened when Warner was in STL where there was NO Fitz? Fitz is still there. What has he done since Warner? Stop it! The star of that offense was WARNER. We will never run that kind of offense. Ben doesnt process as fast as Warner.

st33lersguy
12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Would you rather have a top "passing" QB or 6 Lombardi trophies. Everyday at work, Tomlin walks by 6 Lombardi trophies, not 6 passing titles

fansince'76
12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
What happened when Warner was in STL where there was NO Fitz? Fitz is still there. What has he done since Warner? Stop it! The star of that offense was WARNER. We will never run that kind of offense. Ben doesnt process as fast as Warner.

Simple, he flamed out in St. Louis and lost his job to Marc Bulger. Then he went to the Giants, played poorly most of his time there and lost his job to Eli Manning. And yeah, let's look at Warner's "stellar" Cardinals career, shall we?

2005 season

In early 2005, Warner signed a one-year, $4-million contract with the Arizona Cardinals, and was quickly named the starter by coach Dennis Green. Warner posted three relatively mediocre performances before injuring his groin and being replaced by former starter Josh McCown. McCown performed well enough in the two games Warner missed that Green named McCown the starter for the remainder of the season.

But after McCown struggled in two straight games, Green re-inserted Warner into the starting line-up. After playing fairly well in two consecutive losses (passing for a total of nearly 700 yards), Warner defeated his former team, the Rams, by a score of 38–28. He passed for 285 yards and three touchdowns while posting a quarterback rating of 115.9. Warner's season ended in Week 15 when he partially tore his MCL.

Warner signed a new three-year deal with the Cardinals on February 14, 2006. The deal had a base salary of $18 million and, with performance incentives, could have been worth as much as $24 million.

2006 season

In Week One of the 2006 NFL season, Warner won the NFC Offensive Player of the Week award, throwing for 301 yards and three touchdowns in a win over San Francisco. Two weeks later, Warner passed the 20,000-yard passing milestone in his 76th game, the second-quickest of any player in NFL history (Warner accomplished the feat in one game more than it took record-holder Dan Marino).

After three subpar games in Weeks 2–4, Warner was replaced at quarterback by rookie Matt Leinart in the fourth quarter of Week 4. Then-coach Dennis Green stated that Warner would be the backup quarterback for the remainder of the season. In Week 16, Leinart went down with a shoulder injury against the 49ers, forcing Warner to see his first action since Week 4. Warner filled in nicely, as he was able to hang on for the Cardinals win. In Week 17 against the San Diego Chargers, Warner started again in place of the injured Leinart, throwing for 365 yards (which led the NFL for that week) and a touchdown, though the Chargers were able to hang on for a 27–20 win.

2007 season

Leinart was given the starting quarterback job at the start of the 2007 season. But in the third game of the season, against the Baltimore Ravens, Warner came off the bench to relieve an ineffective Leinart during the 4th quarter with the Ravens leading 23–6 at the beginning of the period. He would lead a furious comeback, as he completed 15 of 20 passes for 258 yds and 2 TDs. This brought Arizona to a tie game (23–23), though Arizona would go on to lose the game 26–23 after Baltimore kicked a last-second field goal.

On September 30, 2007, during the week 4 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Warner relieved Leinart again, following another ineffective start by Leinart. Warner finished with 14/21 for 132 yards with one touchdown pass and no interceptions, while Leinart re-entered the game in the 4th quarter and led the Cardinals to their final touchdown. After Leinart was placed on injured reserve, Warner was named starter for the remainder of the 2007 season.[20]

Warner passed for a career-high 484 yards against the 49ers in a 37–31 loss on November 25, but had a fumble in the end zone in overtime that was recovered by Tully Banta-Cain to lose the game. However, the following week showed an improvement for Warner and the Cardinals, earning a victory over the Browns that brought the Cardinals to 6–6 and kept them in the chase for the NFC Wild Card playoff spot. Warner finished the 2007 season with 27 passing touchdowns, just one shy of the Cardinals franchise record. Warner's performance earned him a $1 million bonus for the year, and he fell just short of attaining a 90.0+ passer rating, which would have given him an extra $500,000.

2008 season

Leinart was named the Cardinals' starting QB going into the 2008 off-season, but Ken Whisenhunt stated that it would be very possible for Warner to be the starter before Week 1 of the regular season. Indeed, Warner was named the starter on August 30, 2008. That season, Warner had 4,583 passing yards, 30 touchdowns and a completion percentage of 67.1%.[21] Warner also received FedEx Air Player of the Week honors for his performance during weeks 9 and 11 of the season.

On December 7, 2008, Warner led the Cardinals to a 34–10 win over his former team, the Rams, securing for the Cardinals the NFC West Division title and their first playoff berth since 1998. It was the Cardinals' first division title since 1975 and third of the post-merger era. As a result, the Cardinals would play only their second home playoff game ever, as they had never played a home playoff game in St. Louis despite winning two division titles. On December 16, 2008 Warner was named the starting quarterback for the NFC team in the 2009 Pro Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Don't think I'd hang my hat on a guy who lost his job MULTIPLE times to the likes of Matt "Beer Bong" Leinart and Josh McCown. Here's the facts: the Cards backed into the '08 playoffs by winning the WORST division in the league, and Fitz had four MONSTER games, culminating in a Super Bowl loss to us. Bottom line, Warner was even more inconsistent his last 6-7 years in the league than you accuse Roethlisberger of being.

Edman
12-26-2012, 04:07 PM
We're going to need a WR like Fitz, then. A lot of that offense was predicated on Warner throwing it upstairs and Fitz taking it away from defenders. And as far as the quick passes go, Ben was doing just fine until he got hurt.

Which makes you wonder why when Ben came back, the Offense didn't go back to that.

Warner not only had Fitz, but he also had Steve Breaston and Anquan Boldin, two possession guys who can you know...catch the ball and move the chains. The Steelers right now don't have those kinds of players. The only guy who comes close is Antonio Brown.

Possession receivers are really underrated in this league.

Steelreal
12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Simple, he flamed out in St. Louis and lost his job to Marc Bulger. Then he went to the Giants, played poorly most of his time there and lost his job to Eli Manning. And yeah, let's look at Warner's "stellar" Cardinals career, shall we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Don't think I'd hang my hat on a guy who lost his job MULTIPLE times to the likes of Matt "Beer Bong" Leinart and Josh McCown. Here's the facts: the Cards backed into the '08 playoffs by winning the WORST division in the league, and Fitz had four MONSTER games, culminating in a Super Bowl loss to us. Bottom line, Warner was even more inconsistent his last 6-7 years in the league than you accuse Roethlisberger of being.

Did I say he wasnt inconsistent? No sir. I merely said HE PROCESSES THE INFORMATION FASTER THAN BEN. EVERY expert will agree with that. Is he inconsistent as you have proved? YES.

I dont argue to argue. You are right. Ben is too. I have no problem with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben Roethlisberger NEEDS an All Pro line, All pro Receivers. All Pro Coaches. What else does he need guys? Whereas ELITE qb like Brady win and put up numbers with whoever you give him. If Brady had Bens weapons he would throw for 5 grand. Add Mendenhall/Bus and it might be 6. Add the extra possesions he gets from a top 5 D every year and it might be 7 thousand.

SOMEONE will take this post and run with it lol

st33lersguy
12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Ben Roethlisberger NEEDS an All Pro line, All pro Receivers. All Pro Coaches. What else does he need guys? Whereas ELITE qb like Brady win and put up numbers with whoever you give him. If Brady had Bens weapons he would throw for 5 grand. Add Mendenhall/Bus and it might be 6. Add the extra possesions he gets from a top 5 D every year and it might be 7 thousand.

Brady HAS a better line than Ben and in fact one of the best pass protection in the game, Ben gets sacked at least 40 times a year and for a while had to pull off amazing escape abilities just to get off a pass. Yes Brady is a great QB who won with an average receiving corp and average RBs for the majority of his career and his numbers have exploded with better receivers but Brady doesn't have the escape ability of Ben and I see Brady getting sacked more often behind the O-lines that Ben has been stuck with. Also Brady always has great offensive coordinators while Ben has been stuck with horrid play-calling from offensive coordinators for the past 6 years. Saying that Ben needs an elite supporting cast in all areas to be good is false