PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled entitled fans

zulater
12-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Look in the mirror Steelers nation. If you can't handle the bad times then you really have no claim to the good.

Lambert_Loonie
12-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Agreed 110%!

And all things considered, being 7-8 going into week 17 when you won a combined 24 games the previous 2 seasons isn't all that bad, is it?

You want to talk about some bad times? Let's talk about the late 80s or late 90s.

katmandu
12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Look in the mirror Steelers nation. If you can't handle the bad times then you really have no claim to the good.I agree.

Most of us do have unrealistic expectations.

Given the state of major injuries this year's team sustained, I think they did pretty good.

Yesterday, there were not (1) but (2) Rookies on the right side of the OL going up against a very, very good DL. It's unrealistic to believe they would hold up against these odds. This years team has been patch worked way more than years past. This is extremely significant difference people refuse to accept.

XxKnightxX
12-24-2012, 10:39 AM
I can understand how some fan are spoiled and think the solution is just sign fas or draft prospects higher than our respective pick.

What bothers me the most is two things. This team has a fear, a fear of change, as if they got no confidence in our younger players or lack of having them. Not sure. Just a hunch that I won't make a big deal out of. The other thing is something that might change over time and is the emergence of new leaders. I see so much in the Steelers as a team that instead of one becoming a true leader, they look at the person next to tem hoping they have the answer or leadership. That irks me, because what I saw yesterday with the offense was a team that failed to pull their weight. And that's just sad, I saw no fight in them, no will, and just hoping for things to happen, inztead of finding a method.

Ben is also burnt out. Look at his eye bags and face. With th marriage, kid, and injury, and no consistent support from the field, its hard to focus. I still won forgive him for throwing away our season brett favre style. But I was one who wanted ben to sit out the rest of the season.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Moose
12-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Yea, I guess we are spoiled somewhat. But you learn from mistakes and that's what makes you get better. We had bad times, bad drafts, bad coaching, etc., but you learn what from the bad and improve. When you have had bad, then you can recognize it when it starts to happen again. This, I guess, is what is aggravating as a fan. You start to recognize symptoms and then no action is taken to correct it. Special team mistakes, offense mistakes, tackling mistakes, etc., etc..

polamalubeast
12-24-2012, 10:47 AM
The Steelers have had many good moment since 2001, but right now I'm worried about the future of the steelers(and this is the first time I say it)

Devilsdancefloor
12-24-2012, 10:52 AM
you can tell when most of the fans became fans of the steelers by their attitude about this year

zulater
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
The Steelers have had many good moment since 2001, but right now I'm worried about the future of the steelers(and this is the first time I say it)

I am too, but not entirely. It could go either way.

And that's not the sort of fan I'm addressing here anyway.

Lambert_Loonie
12-24-2012, 10:57 AM
you can tell when most of the fans became fans of the steelers by their attitude about this year

Pfft, ain't that the truth. Some people on the forum are acting like they're gonna hunt Ben down and kill him in his sleep. There's venting over a lousy year and there's being completely irrational. If they weren't off work already for the Christmas holiday, I wonder how many "fans" were calling into work and staying in bed all day, crying into their pillow.

fansince'76
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Pfft, ain't that the truth. Some people on the forum are acting like they're gonna hunt Ben down and kill him in his sleep. There's venting over a lousy year and there's being completely irrational. If they weren't off work already for the Christmas holiday, I wonder how many "fans" were calling into work and staying in bed all day, crying into their pillow.

Funny, 'cause it's true. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I guess I have no right to be mad about the team going 7-8 with all the talent and veteran experience they have, or to be mad about all the sickening heart-breaking losses, or to be mad at the coaching staff for expecting them to have this team focused enough to beat fricking Oakland, Tennessee, or Cleveland. I am mad about all of this because I want the team to win, I want the team to succeed, and I hate to see them lose, particularly this painfully

stillers4me
12-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I have the perspective of being in Shitzinnati...where people are just now getting out there Bengals gear after ignoring their team all season. Woohoo! You guys better wear them everyday for the next two weeks 'coz that's all you're gonna get ! :lol:

Seven
12-24-2012, 04:08 PM
It's true that most of our fans have high expectations of the Steelers. And that shouldn't change. But when the team experiences a mediocre year, those same fans shouldn't get pissed because of the expectations they themselves have decided upon. If you get so upset by a bad year once in a while, lower your expectations. It's annoying to see so many users here and fans in general calling for the heads of everyone on the team, namely Ben and Tomlin, when those guys have brought us so much joy over the years. They deserve support during the bad times just as much as they do during the good.

silver & black
12-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Wow! some of you really do understand!

I don't come here to rub anything your faces, but I do get a kick out of "most" of you Steelers fans acting like it's some kind of right to cheer for a winning team.

I've said it before............... no team stays on top forever (believe me, I know), bad seasons happen to every franchise.... it's un-avoidable, no matter how well the franchise is run.

Seven
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM

I don't come here to rub anything your faces, but I do get a kick out of "most" of you Steelers fans acting like it's some kind of right to cheer for a winning team.

I've said it before............... no team stays on top forever (believe me, I know), bad seasons happen to every franchise.... it's un-avoidable, no matter how well the franchise is run.

We're extremely blessed to cheer for a team that wins so frequently. It's one thing to be frustrated about a bad season, but another to feel as if you deserve more simply because that's what you're used to.

Craic
12-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Oh, I don't know. Since 72, we're 392-241-2 = 62% wins. 26 AFC(North or Central) championships, 7 AFC championships, and 6 NFL championships. Never more than four years without a trip to the playoffs. I know you're trying to make yourself feel better about the Raiders, but it does seem like we've stayed on top for 42 years pretty much. :stirthepot:

:chuckle: Couldn't resist, S&B. Hope you have a great Christmas.

Moose
12-24-2012, 04:55 PM
I have the perspective of being in Shitzinnati...where people are just now getting out there Bengals gear after ignoring their team all season. Woohoo! You guys better wear them everyday for the next two weeks 'coz that's all you're gonna get ! :lol:

Yea, I got that crap all around me too. All those obnoxious 'who dey' fans are in their glory now.....hell, people I never heard talk about football ( nascar people) are all of a sudden in stripes. What's funny is to ask them questions....like who their kicker or punter or center, etc. is and they go blank. All they know is the typical crap....Dalton and Green. I always say, " wasting time talking football with a bunghole fan is like wasting time putting a screen door on a submarine ". ugh

silver & black
12-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh, I don't know. Since 72, we're 392-241-2 = 62% wins. 26 AFC(North or Central) championships, 7 AFC championships, and 6 NFL championships. Never more than four years without a trip to the playoffs. I know you're trying to make yourself feel better about the Raiders, but it does seem like we've stayed on top for 42 years pretty much. :stirthepot:

:chuckle: Couldn't resist, S&B. Hope you have a great Christmas.
No problem, Preach. I'm really not trying to make myself feel better about the Raiders. The Raiders are horrible.... no way around that....lol.

I just deal with Steelers fans every day that think they are entitled to win because they are the Steelers. You and I know that just isn't true, regardless of the teams we choose to support.

I'm old enough to remember when the Streelers just flat out sucked. I've been a Raiders fan since I was 8 years old (1968) so, I know what the Raiders used to be.... as well as what the Steelers used to be.

The Steelers have been a successful franchise for a long time, with a season here and there that didn't quite measure up to current expectations. That doesn't guarantee a playoff season, obviously.

I remember when it was automatic that the Raiders were in the post season..... and EVERY team didn't really want to play them. Times change. Hopefully the Raiders will be back in the near future, and sincerly hope you Steelers fans don't ever have to go through what we Raiders fans are going through now, but................ never say never. :wink02:

I wish all of Steeler Nation a great Christmas... and a better season next year.

Shoes
12-24-2012, 05:01 PM
The 60's were a bad time.....there were very few "fans" in the stadium back then....most of them were rooting for the other teams. We need to have a few more losing seasons imo. :chuckle:

silver & black
12-24-2012, 05:05 PM
The 60's were a bad time.....there were very few "fans" in the stadium back then....most of them were rooting for the other teams. We need to have a few more losing seasons imo. :chuckle:

Trust me..... you don't mean that. :wink02:

Shoes
12-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Trust me..... you don't mean that. :wink02:

I do......:chuckle:

1960 6-5-1
1961 6-4
1962 9-5
1963 7-4-3
1964 5-9
1965 2-12
1966 5-8-1
1967 4-9-1
1968 2-11-1
1969 1-13

This forum would be slim pickings if we had a decade like this.... by the way Chuck Noll was the coach in 69

silver & black
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I do......:chuckle:

1960 6-5-1
1961 6-4
1962 9-5
1963 7-4-3
1964 5-9
1965 2-12
1966 5-8-1
1967 4-9-1
1968 2-11-1
1969 1-13

This forum would be slim pickings if we had a decade like this.... by the way Chuck Noll was the coach in 69
I know...lol.

This is why I have respect for Browns, Bengals, and Lions fans. I have only experienced this for a decade. These teams' fans have suffered a lot longer. Most Steelers fans have only known good times and winning seasons. I used to be one of you. How quickly the mighty can fall. Just goes to show; you should be grateful for what you have and don't take anything for granted................ you never know when it will be gone........... at least for a while. :wink02:

steelreserve
12-24-2012, 07:28 PM
What about it makes us "spoiled?" They had a frustrating season. The fact that other franchises fuck up all the time doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Butch
12-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I know...lol.

This is why I have respect for Browns, Bengals, and Lions fans. I have only experienced this for a decade. These teams' fans have suffered a lot longer. Most Steelers fans have only known good times and winning seasons. I used to be one of you. How quickly the mighty can fall. Just goes to show; you should be grateful for what you have and don't take anything for granted................ you never know when it will be gone........... at least for a while. :wink02:

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more. I wonder how many fans of certain teams would still be fans if they had seasons like those. Win or lose we can at least hang our hats on having one of the best and most beloved owners in the NFL.

tube517
12-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I deal with Cryboys fans all over the place and I hate them really more than the Cheats*, Bungles, Raisins, Stains, Raiders, or anyone else. I get tired of them talking so much smack for such an underachieving team. Trust me, when they win their next champsionship (hopefully not in my lifetime), they will be more annoying than anything you can imagine. Sure, we have this every 3 year bad season, but they have done nothing since 1996. I'd rather have our success and minimal failures than theirs.

The Bark
12-24-2012, 07:52 PM
If only I would have waved my towel just a little harder...

X-Terminator
12-24-2012, 08:49 PM
What about it makes us "spoiled?" They had a frustrating season. The fact that other franchises fuck up all the time doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Have you been reading the board over the past 24 hours? This place has been full of NOTHING BUT entitled and spoiled fans whining because they don't get to beat their chests about another playoff appearance or Super Bowl. When it gets to the point where I don't even want to read my own fucking message board, we've got a big, big problem.

Here's some advice (not directed at you). Sometimes, shit happens. Shit happened to the Steelers this year, where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Get over it, move on, and think about next season. And more importantly, stop demanding everyone be fired, benched or traded, for fuck's sake.

DarthSpartans20
12-24-2012, 11:43 PM
This was a lost season due to injuries. Minus Wallace and Timmons, all of the stars on this team spent time on the pine with some type of ailment. Phil Simms said it best during the telecast this week, that none of the playoff teams want to see a healthy Steelers team come playoff time. Too bad for us we were never able to stay healthy at any point this year.

Mach1
12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Cliff Stoudt anyone? I made it through the '80's early '90's I think I can handle this hiccup.

86WARD
12-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Their in a down time now...which they usually bounce back from. 7-9, 8-8. Sure it's not the "Steelers standard," but when was the last time any of us saw a 5 win season? 90's maybe? I think 2003 was the last 6 win season. 10 years ago...

Could be a looooooooooot worse...

X-Terminator
12-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Their in a down time now...which they usually bounce back from. 7-9, 8-8. Sure it's not the "Steelers standard," but when was the last time any of us saw a 5 win season? 90's maybe? I think 2003 was the last 6 win season. 10 years ago...

Could be a looooooooooot worse...

Last time they had a 5-win season was 1988. They had TWO 6-win seasons (1999 and 2003) and a 7-win season (1998) under Cowher.

Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

And yet, we have fans wanting Tomlin fired for a 7-9 or 8-8 season, the first non-winning season during his tenure? Are you fucking kidding me???

Count Steeler
12-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Last time they had a 5-win season was 1988. They had TWO 6-win seasons (1999 and 2003) and a 7-win season (1998) under Cowher.

And yet, we have fans wanting Tomlin fired for a 7-9 or 8-8 season, the first non-winning season during his tenure? Are you fucking kidding me???

Hard to believe. I'll take it as emotional upset over the Steelers missing the playoffs. Let's see where everyone is at once the brain takes over again. It's hard not to (over)react with the heart.

tube517
12-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Cliff Stoudt anyone? I made it through the '80's early '90's I think I can handle this hiccup.

I agree, Mach.

Cliff Stoudt Mark Malone Bubby Brister Neil O'Donnell Kordell Stewart Tommy Maddox

Read that list again. Think again for those of you who want to degrade Ben. I'm not saying he was good the past few games either. I'm saying I'll live and die with #7 at QB. And I'm no "rah rah" fan either. I get pissed with the bad play/bad coaching decisions.

3 Super Bowl appearances in 9 years.
1 Super Bowl appearance in the previous 26.

We'll be back.

Chidi29
12-25-2012, 03:26 PM

My god, could you imagine these people's reaction for Tomlin having three losing seasons over the course of six years?

GBMelBlount
12-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Hard to believe. I'll take it as emotional upset over the Steelers missing the playoffs. Let's see where everyone is at once the brain takes over again. It's hard not to (over)react with the heart.

Agreed.

I hate losing.

No other way to say it.

It is better to get it out of your system imo...within reason. :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I still don't quite get what the big issue is. The team had a shitty year and didn't make the playoffs, and so what if the Browns have it worse. Sucks to be them, but I don't really care. I'm not going to go around saying fire the coach and trade Ben and whatever, but I'm allowed to be pissed off.

By the way, this IS 3 years out of the last 7 that we've been mediocre and missed the playoffs, so it's not like we've had constant success to be "spoiled" by. Not to mention that since this is a very slowly changing group of guys that's shown itself capable of winning Super Bowls, those 3 years seem like underachieving and it's puzzling.

X-Terminator
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I still don't quite get what the big issue is. The team had a shitty year and didn't make the playoffs, and so what if the Browns have it worse. Sucks to be them, but I don't really care. I'm not going to go around saying fire the coach and trade Ben and whatever, but I'm allowed to be pissed off.

By the way, this IS 3 years out of the last 7 that we've been mediocre and missed the playoffs, so it's not like we've had constant success to be "spoiled" by. Not to mention that since this is a very slowly changing group of guys that's shown itself capable of winning Super Bowls, those 3 years seem like underachieving and it's puzzling.

You can be pissed off all you want. But at the end of the day, it means about as much as testosterone means to Tom Brady. So I say you should still get over it and move on, because as the past 20 years have proven, the Steelers do not stay down for long, which is far more than fans of most teams can say.

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
You can be pissed off all you want. But at the end of the day, it means about as much as testosterone means to Tom Brady. So I say you should still get over it and move on, because as the past 20 years have proven, the Steelers do not stay down for long, which is far more than fans of most teams can say.

I can't speak for everyone, but believe me, I'm way over it. It's football. I've still got my opinions about what they ought to be doing, but that's pretty much every offseason. Sucks that it started a bit early this year.

fansince'76
12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm kinda bummed that another year has ticked off of Roethlisberger's career (because I see TRULY lean times ahead when he retires), but that's all. It's the same feeling I had when the team persisted with the Kordell Experiment for five years while basically pissing the Bus' prime away.

stillers4me
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm kinda bummed that another year has ticked off of Roethlisberger's career (because I see TRULY lean times ahead when he retires), but that's all. It's the same feeling I had when the team persisted with the Kordell Experiment for five years while basically pissing the Bus' prime away.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Wallace108
12-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I keep hearing that Steelers fans are spoiled, but I see it a little bit differently. Every fan wants his or her team to win every year and is disappointed/frustrated/angry when they don't. So when the Steelers have a bad year, like this one, does that make us spoiled because we're disappointed, frustrated, or angry and are complaining about the team? I don't think so. I DO believe that we're spoiled, but for a different reason ...

Being spoiled shows up in the belief that the Steelers will always be a playoff-caliber team ... the belief that, yes, there will occasionally be a bad year, like this year, but we'll always bounce back the following year ... the belief that there's never any serious problems with the Steelers, that any problems that we do hear about are made up by the media, or if it is true, that the problems are easily fixable ... the belief that the Steelers aren't capable of enduring a downward cycle and going through a decade or so of mediocrity (or worse). A lot of Steelers fans are spoiled into believing that the Steelers will always be one of the top teams, and that any setback is just temporary.

The Steelers have been really good for a long time. A lot of fans believe that it's impossible for this team to slip back into mediocrity like we saw during the 80s. THAT'S spoiled.

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Don't worry, all we have to do is fake being bad for one year and get the top draft pick.

In all seriousness, though - you know all this about 26 years of hard times because finding a QB is so difficult? The problem was that we were barely trying to find a QB for 26 years. We took one QB in the first round that whole time, which was Malone in 1980 (which it should be noted was at the end of the first round, plus we had bad luck with injury). Other than that, we took Kordell in the second round, O'Donnell and Brister in the third, then a bunch of fifth and sixth rounders. And Kordell was more of an experiment than a serious attempt to find a franchise QB.

So it's no wonder we didn't have a franchise QB for so long - we didn't pick one above the third round for 24 years. Then the instant we do suck it up and make a move for a highly rated QB, we end up with a good one. That's one position where you really do "get what you pay for" more than most, and for a quarter century we did nothing but take one flyer after another on what-if prospects and random journeymen. I would hope the FO has it figured out a little better next time around, or else they've got fuckin' rocks in their head.

fansince'76
12-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Don't worry, all we have to do is fake being bad for one year and get the top draft pick.

In all seriousness, though - you know all this about 26 years of hard times because finding a QB is so difficult? The problem was that we were barely trying to find a QB for 26 years. We took one QB in the first round that whole time, which was Malone in 1980 (which it should be noted was at the end of the first round, plus we had bad luck with injury). Other than that, we took Kordell in the second round, O'Donnell and Brister in the third, then a bunch of fifth and sixth rounders. And Kordell was more of an experiment than a serious attempt to find a franchise QB.

So it's no wonder we didn't have a franchise QB for so long - we didn't pick one above the third round for 24 years. Then the instant we do suck it up and make a move for a highly rated QB, we end up with a good one. That's one position where you really do "get what you pay for" more than most, and for a quarter century we did nothing but take one flyer after another on what-if prospects and random journeymen. I would hope the FO has it figured out a little better next time around, or else they've got fuckin' rocks in their head.

Yes, but drafting a QB in the first round, even high in the first round really doesn't guarantee much either. For every Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck there are a hundred more Ryan Leafs, Matt Leinarts and Vince Youngs. IMO, at least part of the reason the FO stayed away from QBs in the first for so long was because of Malone and the fact that he sucked so bad.

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes, but drafting a QB in the first round, even high in the first round really doesn't guarantee much either. For every Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck there are a hundred more Ryan Leafs, Matt Leinarts and Vince Youngs. IMO, at least part of the reason the FO stayed away from QBs in the first for so long was because of Malone and the fact that he sucked so bad.

That's a good point, especially about Malone turning us off to QBs for so long. And yeah, there are a fair number of famous busts with highly touted QBs, probably more than a lot of other positions. But the problem is that it's also the one position where it's extremely rare to find the hidden gem in the low rounds. People can talk all they want about Tom Brady and Kurt Warner, but the fact is that those are unusual cases, and the great majority of Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 25 years (as well as Super Bowl losing QBs) were picked in the first round or occasionally the second, and this goes all the way back to Phil Simms and Jim Kelly and probably even further.

Bottom line, you're right, it's a risky business. But it's one you increasingly have to play. I think the long ass drought where were almost there but not quite good enough is pretty good proof of that. At least with the rookie contract structure, next time we have to do it, it won't be quite as much of an outright gamble.

tube517
12-26-2012, 06:54 PM

And can you imagine if we had picked Marino in '83? We would've been really spoiled.....:chuckle:

Craic
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM

That's also cherry-picking a little, when for two years before the first bad season you account for here, we had great seasons.

So in truth, it's 3 years out of the last 9 that we've been mediocre and missed the playoffs. Or, 4 out of the last 12, either way you want to cut it. It boils down to a ration of Two good, one bad. That's a pretty good track record over all, providing for 66% playoff bound seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point, especially about Malone turning us off to QBs for so long. And yeah, there are a fair number of famous busts with highly touted QBs, probably more than a lot of other positions. But the problem is that it's also the one position where it's extremely rare to find the hidden gem in the low rounds. People can talk all they want about Tom Brady and Kurt Warner, but the fact is that those are unusual cases, and the great majority of Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 25 years (as well as Super Bowl losing QBs) were picked in the first round or occasionally the second, and this goes all the way back to Phil Simms and Jim Kelly and probably even further.

Bottom line, you're right, it's a risky business. But it's one you increasingly have to play. I think the long ass drought where were almost there but not quite good enough is pretty good proof of that. At least with the rookie contract structure, next time we have to do it, it won't be quite as much of an outright gamble.

Good post all the way around. I know it's difficult in this day and age, but that IS why I want us to draft a QB and let him sit for a year or two behind Ben.

steelreserve
12-26-2012, 09:15 PM
That's also cherry-picking a little, when for two years before the first bad season you account for here, we had great seasons.

So in truth, it's 3 years out of the last 9 that we've been mediocre and missed the playoffs. Or, 4 out of the last 12, either way you want to cut it. It boils down to a ration of Two good, one bad. That's a pretty good track record over all, providing for 66% playoff bound seasons.

Fair enough, but let me put it this way: I don't think there was any reason the team should've missed the playoffs in any of those 3 years (2006/09/12). They had the talent each time. Maybe you can use the "shit happens" excuse once, because it does happen once in a while. But you look at the other teams that have any kind of sustained success recently, and it's only us and the Giants that seem to have those letdown years so regularly, so you wonder, what the fuck? Even this year when we were devastated by injuries, things were still in favor of us making it - I mean, the rest of the conference was practically breaking their necks to give us a wild card spot - but we left it on the table. I don't know, it just makes you do that wanking motion with your wrist.

Good post all the way around. I know it's difficult in this day and age, but that IS why I want us to draft a QB and let him sit for a year or two behind Ben.

Yeah, but you gotta be careful not to do it too early, otherwise if you get a young QB who IS any good, he either leaves as soon as his rookie contract is up to get a starting job and a payday ... or you have to force Ben out the door too soon. In any case, I still maintain my belief that if you're going to be a good QB, you either get it right away or you don't, so it doesn't make much difference whether you're a rookie or you've been sitting on the bench for 3 years, and either way you're still an unknown until you become the starter. Better to wait until Ben is a year or two from retirement if you ask me, and then go after the best guy we can get in those couple of drafts.

GBMelBlount
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, but drafting a QB in the first round, even high in the first round really doesn't guarantee much either.

For every Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck there are a hundred more Ryan Leafs, Matt Leinarts and Vince Youngs. IMO, at least part of the reason the FO stayed away from QBs in the first for so long was because of Malone and the fact that he sucked so bad.

I agree.

How many franchise quarterbacks are drafted in a decade?

5?

At that rate even taking a first round pick it is arguably a crap shoot....and I would guess the odds drop dramatically after just the first round.

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2012, 10:21 PM

:lol:

Craic
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Fair enough, but let me put it this way: I don't think there was any reason the team should've missed the playoffs in any of those 3 years (2006/09/12). They had the talent each time. Maybe you can use the "shit happens" excuse once, because it does happen once in a while. But you look at the other teams that have any kind of sustained success recently, and it's only us and the Giants that seem to have those letdown years so regularly, so you wonder, what the fuck? Even this year when we were devastated by injuries, things were still in favor of us making it - I mean, the rest of the conference was practically breaking their necks to give us a wild card spot - but we left it on the table. I don't know, it just makes you do that wanking motion with your wrist.

Actually, I pointed out in another thread that this was the fourth time in twelve years, going all the way back to 2003. I know others here think that it's just a fluke, but there's definitely a reason why we have a letdown year every third year since 2000.

Yeah, but you gotta be careful not to do it too early, otherwise if you get a young QB who IS any good, he either leaves as soon as his rookie contract is up to get a starting job and a payday ... or you have to force Ben out the door too soon. In any case, I still maintain my belief that if you're going to be a good QB, you either get it right away or you don't, so it doesn't make much difference whether you're a rookie or you've been sitting on the bench for 3 years, and either way you're still an unknown until you become the starter. Better to wait until Ben is a year or two from retirement if you ask me, and then go after the best guy we can get in those couple of drafts.
I agree. This is one of those situations where hopefully Ben is mature enough to go into the front office one day and tell them that he's probably a couple years away from retirement, so start looking for a QB that he can help mold. Will it happen? Don't know. The old Ben, I'd never believe it possible. The new Ben? Not sure. Not because I think he's too selfish, but that he's so competitive I think he'll stay around until he's either carried out by a stretcher or the coaches have to sit him down and tell him he's done.

X-Terminator
12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I keep hearing that Steelers fans are spoiled, but I see it a little bit differently. Every fan wants his or her team to win every year and is disappointed/frustrated/angry when they don't. So when the Steelers have a bad year, like this one, does that make us spoiled because we're disappointed, frustrated, or angry and are complaining about the team? I don't think so. I DO believe that we're spoiled, but for a different reason ...

Being spoiled shows up in the belief that the Steelers will always be a playoff-caliber team ... the belief that, yes, there will occasionally be a bad year, like this year, but we'll always bounce back the following year ... the belief that there's never any serious problems with the Steelers, that any problems that we do hear about are made up by the media, or if it is true, that the problems are easily fixable ... the belief that the Steelers aren't capable of enduring a downward cycle and going through a decade or so of mediocrity (or worse). A lot of Steelers fans are spoiled into believing that the Steelers will always be one of the top teams, and that any setback is just temporary.

The Steelers have been really good for a long time. A lot of fans believe that it's impossible for this team to slip back into mediocrity like we saw during the 80s. THAT'S spoiled.

Yep, exactly. Just like the 70s probably spoiled everyone so that when the 80s rolled around, they didn't know what to do. As silver & black has repeatedly said, no team stays on top forever, and the Steelers will eventually have a few lean years, just as they did when they missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons from 1998-2000.

steelreserve
12-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Meh, I didn't even think the 80s were as terrible as some people believe, and that was really the first I saw of football once I actually understood it. Sure, they were worse than what came before or after, but overall they were still competitive enough that they had a winning record half the time, and made the playoffs a few times. Terrible is what the Raiders and 49ers were doing for the past decade.

But anyway, my point is, it was obvious as a fan that the Steelers of the 80s were less talented than the Steelers of the 70s or the 90s or the current version. You had different expectations and a different mentality as a fan because of it. Still entertained, and hopeful that the next move they made would help them get better, is the best I can describe it. I don't think people would be incapable of understanding that if the team was in that situation again. The bandwagon fans would leave and the rest would probably revert to something like that, is my guess. As long as it wasn't some Lions-style, decade-long incompetent faceplant that completely plowed under every shred of hope.

In the meantime, a lot of fans don't handle mediocrity well because they know the team can do better. They're right; it's not the 80s yet. Might as well base your expectations on what the current team is capable of, not what it was capable of 25 years ago, or what's normal for some other team.

zulater
12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Just so you know this thread was born from the frustration of dealing with a troll that has since been removed from the board. Honestly I have no problem with genuine Steeler fans being critical of the team when they underperform.

But what does get under my skin is revisionist history. It's one thing to make your case that Tomlin, Colbert, Big Ben, Woodley, Polamalu etc.. had a bad year this season and vent on what can be done to improve things going foward. Or even just voicing your frustration over how they performed this season is perfectly fine. Because truthfully each of them and many others played a part in this non playoff year. But when you go tearing down past accomplishments then I draw the line. Saying Tomlin only won with Cowher's team. Garbage. Claiming Big Ben was along for the ride on 3 Super Bowl trips. Garbage. Claiming Kevin Colbert has no clue how to draft. Garbage. Saying the Steelers don't understand the salary cap and free agency. Garbage.

Ok I've said my piece now, so sorry if anyone took offense. Really of the current regular posters on this board I have no issue whatoever on your commitment to the team. And when you criticize whether I agree or not I know you are posting with insight and perspective, so this thread really isn't aimed at any of you.

Last thing. The guy or gal I really can't stand is the one who put away all their Steeler apparell the moment the Steelers went down to defeat against the Bengals and wont break it out again until the Steelers rebound to the top of the standings. .

Count Steeler
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Last thing. The guy or gal I really can't stand is the one who put away all their Steeler apparell the moment the Steelers went down to defeat against the Bengals and wont break it out again until the Steelers rebound to the top of the standings. .

Why would anyone put away the apparel? We only have the best organization in sports! So we didn't make the playoffs? Boo hoo! We are fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers!

I know the type of *fans* you are referring to, but are they really fans anyway? You gots to live or die with your team. At least I don't have to support a team like the Bills!

BlastFurnace
12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Why would anyone put away the apparel? We only have the best organization in sports! So we didn't make the playoffs? Boo hoo! We are fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers!

I know the type of *fans* you are referring to, but are they really fans anyway? You gots to live or die with your team. At least I don't have to support a team like the Bills!

Agreed. I've worn various Steelers stuff all season and living around Cowboys fans and their snide remarks isn't easy.

stillers4me
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by zulater http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349627#post349627)
You mean like all the Bengals fans I live around that are frantically digging out their Jeff Blake jerseys to wear this week?

Don't laugh. I saw one the other day.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Just so you know this thread was born from the frustration of dealing with a troll that has since been removed from the board. Honestly I have no problem with genuine Steeler fans being critical of the team when they underperform.

But what does get under my skin is revisionist history. It's one thing to make your case that Tomlin, Colbert, Big Ben, Woodley, Polamalu etc.. had a bad year this season and vent on what can be done to improve things going foward. Or even just voicing your frustration over how they performed this season is perfectly fine. Because truthfully each of them and many others played a part in this non playoff year. But when you go tearing down past accomplishments then I draw the line. Saying Tomlin only won with Cowher's team. Garbage. Claiming Big Ben was along for the ride on 3 Super Bowl trips. Garbage. Claiming Kevin Colbert has no clue how to draft. Garbage. Saying the Steelers don't understand the salary cap and free agency. Garbage.

Ok I've said my piece now, so sorry if anyone took offense. Really of the current regular posters on this board I have no issue whatoever on your commitment to the team. And when you criticize whether I agree or not I know you are posting with insight and perspective, so this thread really isn't aimed at any of you.

This has been a year similar to 2009. Frustrating and maddening at times. We know the team is better, but the record says otherwise. Admittedly, I'm not a Tomlin fan, but he won with what he was given...just like Whiz or another coach inheriting this team would have. He didn't ride the Cowher coat tail. My issue with him falls on various coaching issues and personell decisions.

Season's are strange. If we look at the 2008 season when they won the Super Bowl, there were numerous games that could have gone either way to turn a 12-4 season to an 8-8 season. This year was no different, but it went the other way.

I don't know if I would call a fan base spoiled or not. Fans get emotional, upset, etc after losses or bad seasons, but calm down shortly after. Some fans don't like certain coaches or players and vent about it. In the grand scheme of things, we are all fans of the team. Just different kinds. I don't mind if a fan is a perpetual cheerleader and never sees anything wrong, another fan writes something crazy, calls a game in the 1st Qtr , wants someone fired, etc. Sometimes, I find it kind of funny when you go back and read what was written by myself and others in the heat of the game.

We're just fans.

zulater
12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
This has been a year similar to 2009. Frustrating and maddening at times. We know the team is better, but the record says otherwise. Admittedly, I'm not a Tomlin fan, but he won with what he was given...just like Whiz or another coach inheriting this team would have. He didn't ride the Cowher coat tail. My issue with him falls on various coaching issues and personell decisions.

Season's are strange. If we look at the 2008 season when they won the Super Bowl, there were numerous games that could have gone either way to turn a 12-4 season to an 8-8 season. This year was no different, but it went the other way.

I don't know if I would call a fan base spoiled or not. Fans get emotional, upset, etc after losses or bad seasons, but calm down shortly after. Some fans don't like certain coaches or players and vent about it. In the grand scheme of things, we are all fans of the team. Just different kinds. I don't mind if a fan is a perpetual cheerleader and never sees anything wrong, another fan writes something crazy, calls a game in the 1st Qtr , wants someone fired, etc. Sometimes, I find it kind of funny when you go back and read what was written by myself and others in the heat of the game.

We're just fans.

Good post. :applaudit:

GBMelBlount
12-27-2012, 07:44 PM

We're just fans.

Standing ovation on that post Blast. Great perspective imo.

Bluecoat96
12-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I'll say this....having two kids within the span of less than 2 years (What were we thinking?!?!?!) has realistically allowed me the chance to enjoy the Steelers more, as crazy as that sounds. I will readily admit that I would get so sucked into the Steelers season that when they lost, I would be pissed for days. I can't do that while chasing after a 2 year old that's laughing hysterically for no real reason other than the fact that she's just freaking adorable.

I guess having kids made me realize that it's just a game. It's not worth it to waste energy getting too terribly upset over a down season. We are one of the few fanbases that can honestly say, "There's always next year," because we know that the team WILL rebound.

Craic
12-27-2012, 09:40 PM

This, is a brilliant post.