PDA

View Full Version : One thing sorely missing this year from the last few seasons...

The Bark
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Play-action pass.

This had been a staple the last few years and proved to be very effective in allowing Ben to throw downfield, completing a high percentage of passes - particularly on third down.

Looking back this year, I don't recall too many instances where play-action was actually used - surely nowhere near as much as in previous years. Although this is often dependent on establishing a running threat, I don't think it was in the team's arsenal much when even when the ball was being run effectively.

Time and time again, it appeared the big passes downfield were missing this year. Much was made of Wallace's holdout and ineffectiveness, but in hindsight, I wonder how much he benefitted from the use of play-action?

As I recall, Ben was completing these attempts with an astonishing level of accuracy the past few years so it seems hard to swallow that, even with a change in coordinators, this was something essentially abandoned from the arsenal. Of course, there are also other contributing factors including an inconsistent, ever-changing offensive line - but honestly, they've been consistently inconsistent so what else is new there? It also doesn't help to continually fall behind on opponents while trying to establish the run early in games, but it seems a play-action call early in the game would help open up the offense.

Anyway, as the season has progressed under the new offensive coordinator, this is one area I would have thought to have been a no-brainer to continue.

Devilsdancefloor
12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
with no real run threat hard to get guys to bite on play action, but i agree it wasnt used enough and that damn bubble screen was used to MUCH. Welcome to the board!

NCSteeler
12-24-2012, 07:36 AM
We will not get much play action till we can run more consistently and I mean some long runs, that is what gets the guys biting on the action. I still think Ben's rib injury is still effecting his down field throws and throws to his right.

steeldawg
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
no run threat and haleys offense likes short quick passes.

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
How about, I don't know HEART?

Seven
12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
with no real run threat hard to get guys to bite on play action, but i agree it wasnt used enough and that damn bubble screen was used to MUCH. Welcome to the board!

We will not get much play action till we can run more consistently and I mean some long runs, that is what gets the guys biting on the action. I still think Ben's rib injury is still effecting his down field throws and throws to his right.

I have to disagree guys. I've seen a lot of teams that couldn't (or didn't) run the ball utilize play action well. Whether or not there is much real threat to run, the initial instinctive reaction of a defender to come up when he sees the quarterback turn to hand the ball of still exists. Think back to that 07 Pats team, they never ran yet used play action pretty frequently to set up Moss downfield. So while I agree that a consistent running game is lacking from our offense, I see no reason not to still use play action. But I guess this all comes back to the fact that Haley isn't a big fan of deep routes, since play action is usually condusive to a deep passing attack.