PDA

View Full Version : Wallace = bum

steelreserve
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Do-or-die game with the playoffs on the line. 1 catch for 13 yards. He absolutely disappeared when it mattered most. Yeah, tell me I'm overreacting and we have other problems, or that everyone has bad games sometimes, or whatever. I don't care. I am so fed up with that guy it's not even funny. $50 million my ass.

Lambert_Loonie
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Certainly wishing the guy well in his future endeavors. I like Wallace, but he is what he is - a slot reciever. He's just not meant to be a #1 reciever.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Lets be fair here, he barely saw any passes today. He can't be blamed when he didn't have the ball thrown his way.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 04:23 PM
wallace disappered huh? did you even watch the game, he was wide open in the first quarter for a td ben could not hit him, our oline was awful and despite one defensive lapse for their d our recievers didnt do a whole lot because there was no time to throw.

Carolina Steelers
12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I tried to support him all season and if Steelers bring him back for the right money will still support him but he disappeared in too many games this yr. like 1 or 2 catches but to me it was like he didnt care sometimes. Brown or Sanders are not #1 rec. IMO but i do like there efforts and they will get better

Edman
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't buy that. Antonio Brown had a terrible game last week and stepped up today.

The very best thing about this season is that it exposed the dead weight. Wallace has been dead weight all season and now it's proven in a game that ended our season. He's a bum and not fit for this offense.

Devilsdancefloor
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
wallace is gone he disappeared the last 8 games last year and he did his same act this year, buit the first part of the year he didnt give a fuck attitude messed with the team i think

Heinz Hitman
12-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Same thing as last year - he completely disappeared for the 2nd half of the season. I pray that he is on another team next year. If we keep him they will still try to make him our #1 and he just is not suited for that. Him and Mendy need to be let go if want to improve.

Edman
12-23-2012, 04:30 PM
wallace disappered huh? did you even watch the game, he was wide open in the first quarter for a td ben could not hit him, our oline was awful and despite one defensive lapse for their d our recievers didnt do a whole lot because there was no time to throw.

Yep, that's precisely why he needs to go. When he doesn't catch his deep balls, he doesn't do shit for anything else, especially in big games.

And how many times has Wallace not been on the same page as Ben or any of our QB's last year and this year, resulting in a drive-killing drop or an incomplete pass? The dude has no focus, is unreliable and needs to go.

Wallace is a detriment to this offense and should be shipped out at first opportunity.

JayC
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
glad we didn't pay him. good luck to him though, no hard feelings, just hope he isn't on our team next year. highly likely won't be.

fansince'76
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
glad we didn't pay him. good luck to him though, no hard feelings, just hope he isn't on our team next year. highly likely won't be.

I dunno - I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him after this season.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't buy that. Antonio Brown had a terrible game last week and stepped up today.

The very best thing about this season is that it exposed the dead weight. Wallace has been dead weight all season and now it's proven in a game that ended our season. He's a bum and not fit for this offense.

thats simply not true, you only say that cause you dont like him but the stats and game logs suggest differently. brown was ok but out side the 60 yarder which was a blown coverage its not like he was killing it. dead weight? he has 3 more tds than calvin johnson! this guy is a huge weapon and even when hes not catching the ball his presence on the field commands respect from the defense. If you dont realize what wallace does for this offense and for antonio brown than you just dont waant to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that's precisely why he needs to go. When he doesn't catch his deep balls, he doesn't do shit for anything else, especially in big games.

And how many times has Wallace not been on the same page as Ben or any of our QB's last year and this year, resulting in a drive-killing drop or an incomplete pass? The dude has no focus, is unreliable and needs to go.

Wallace is a detriment to this offense and should be shipped out at first opportunity.

WHAT!!??? because ben overthrows him he needs to go, and i have not seen wallace not on the same page with ben once this season.

43Hitman
12-23-2012, 04:54 PM
thats simply not true, you only say that cause you dont like him but the stats and game logs suggest differently. brown was ok but out side the 60 yarder which was a blown coverage its not like he was killing it. dead weight? he has 3 more tds than calvin johnson! this guy is a huge weapon and even when hes not catching the ball his presence on the field commands respect from the defense. If you dont realize what wallace does for this offense and for antonio brown than you just dont waant to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT!!??? because ben overthrows him he needs to go, and i have not seen wallace not on the same page with ben once this season.

Actually it was a great double move by AB to get himself that open.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 05:02 PM

ya but you cant jump a route as a db when there is no safety behind you, its a blown coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

not taking anything away from brown but to say wallace disappeared is ridiculous, the play calling was a joke and the o line was a joke.

zulater
12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
It's unfair to single out anyone besides Ben and Todd Haley today for the loss.

Ben had happy feet from the get go, and really wasn't capable of finding downfield targets on obvious passing downs.

43Hitman
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
ya but you cant jump a route as a db when there is no safety behind you, its a blown coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

not taking anything away from brown but to say wallace disappeared is ridiculous, the play calling was a joke and the o line was a joke.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I agree with you today. Wallace didn't have very many targets, and when he did the ball was poorly thrown. Today wasn't his fault, people are just pissed because the season is over.

steelreserve
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I dunno - I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him after this season.

They broke the bank for Pierre Garcon, and he never had 1,000 yards or more than 70 catches. And they broke the bank for Desean Jackson after a down year where he was a headcase. Someone will do it.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Back up the brinks truck here comes Snyder ..................

Lambert_Loonie
12-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Back up the brinks truck here comes Woody Johnson ..................

Fixed :heh:

oneforthetoe
12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't hate Wallace, but he does not deserve big money. This loss is on Ben but Wallace could have made a bigger effort on that last int. If he lays out for the ball maybe he keeps the db from catching it. That doesn't excuse throw, but I haven't seen the extra effort from Wallace all season.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't hate Wallace, but he does not deserve big money. This loss is on Ben but Wallace could have made a bigger effort on that last int. If he lays out for the ball maybe he keeps the db from catching it. That doesn't excuse throw, but I haven't seen the extra effort from Wallace all season.

lol what is he super man that ball was thrown clear over his head

Seven
12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Wallace always disappears in big moments. I pretty much expect that from him at this point. Ben had a sub par game too, though, which didn't help. But Wallace didn't do anything worth writing home about today, whether Ben was looking for him or not. And hell, if he wasn't I wouldn't blame him.

Moose
12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I can't blame Wallace on this bunghole loss. It's true he wasn't thrown to much, why he wasn't is anyone's guess. But since the thread is about Wallace being a bum I guess I would have to say I don't think he is worth the money paid to him. It will be interesting to see if he backs off of wanting big bucks or stays satisfied with present pay. I can't see anyone paying him what he wants...other than Jones in Dallas, but do they need him ?

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
You'd like to keep all your players, however, the hard reality is that we have cap issues that need to be addressed. Sanders is an RFA this year, Brown is 8mil. There is not going to be much left over in the WR budget. Too many other needs and we are 18-22mil over the cap at season's end.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I can't blame Wallace on this bunghole loss. It's true he wasn't thrown to much, why he wasn't is anyone's guess. But since the thread is about Wallace being a bum I guess I would have to say I don't think he is worth the money paid to him. It will be interesting to see if he backs off of wanting big bucks or stays satisfied with present pay. I can't see anyone paying him what he wants...other than Jones in Dallas, but do they need him ?

I don't think he's a bum either. I think the entire offense was a mess this year from start to finish.

For some reason, it takes this offense nearly 2 QTR's every week to begin playing well.

Steeldude
12-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Lets be fair here, he barely saw any passes today. He can't be blamed when he didn't have the ball thrown his way.

5 targets to Brown's 6

Edman
12-24-2012, 12:37 AM
5 targets to Brown's 6

Case in point. The guy is an inconsistent bum and not worth the money.

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
If the Rooney's offer so much as a penny to this loser I will be mad. This bum deserves to remain a free agent for at least 3 years and not be picked up by anyone. Sadly, there will be one stupid team that offers this coward a bunch of money. Of course he will be a huge free agent bust and only have a good game when playing against the Steelers

DarthSpartans20
12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Wallace needs to be a better route runner IMO. If he could run routes like Torry Holt or Jimmy Smith did in their primes, the sky is the limit for this guy. I dont how much he works on his craft in the off-season but this is the biggest area of improvement for him. There were several times over the last two weeks where despite his speed, the defenders were not biting on his double moves. Its a reason why he disappears in so many games and doesnt consistently put up games where he catches 6,7 or 8 passes a game.

Dwinsgames
12-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Fixed :heh: it wasn't broken ...

Back up the brinks truck here comes Snyder ..................

SteelerEmpire
12-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Ben def. overthrew Wallace on a sure TD. Charlie Batch did it a few weeks ago as well. Ben was targeting Wallace when he threw the "death" pic in the Cowboys game. Truth be told theirs a LONG list of Steelers that "shat" the bed this season...

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Wallace needs to be a better route runner IMO. If he could run routes like Torry Holt or Jimmy Smith did in their primes, the sky is the limit for this guy. I dont how much he works on his craft in the off-season but this is the biggest area of improvement for him. There were several times over the last two weeks where despite his speed, the defenders were not biting on his double moves. Its a reason why he disappears in so many games and doesnt consistently put up games where he catches 6,7 or 8 passes a game.

Well defenders dont consistently bite on double moves but in the dallas game the double move he put on that guy for that 60 yard bomb was nasty. I really dont see alot instances where hes been running a poor route, does he not adjust to badly thrown balls as well as some guys, ya u could say that, but his positives far out weigh the negatives. Look at his numbers in a down year where people are considering him to have disappeared, and if he disappeared nobody picked up the slack. as far as 6,7,8 catches a game not too many recievers are consistently putting up those numbers because thats well over 100 catches in a season and if you look at the handful of guys who have over 100 catches they have been targeted significantly more. It boils down to our guys adjusting to a new system, there will be growing pains I think the smartest thing to do is bring back the same guys and everyone will have one season under their belts in this offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben def. overthrew Wallace on a sure TD. Charlie Batch did it a few weeks ago as well. Ben was targeting Wallace when he threw the "death" pic in the Cowboys game. Truth be told theirs a LONG list of Steelers that "shat" the bed this season...

Ya wallace was missed alot this season, but i think him and ben could fix that easily in the offseason. I think our bigger issues with this team are Fumbling, Mental lapses, and no pass rush. In an offense that is getting young there is gonna be mistakes and throw in a new system to confuse our veteran qb it was a tall order.

Seven
12-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Wow. He got open once. He must be head and shoulders better than any other receiver on this roster. When he stops quitting on routes and giving up on tackles wake me up. Ima have a nice long nap. Best of luck Wallace, but I'd rather have a receiver with half your speed who knows how to run more than just 9 routes effectively. Later dude, have fun catching passes from Greg McElroy.

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Wow. He got open once. He must be head and shoulders better than any other receiver on this roster. When he stops quitting on routes and giving up on tackles wake me up. Ima have a nice long nap. Best of luck Wallace, but I'd rather have a receiver with half your speed who knows how to run more than just 9 routes effectively. Later dude, have fun catching passes from Greg McElroy.

He doesnt quit on routes and lol did you really throw in giving up on tackles. This just in Mike Wallace not a good tenacious tackler, oh my goodness lets take a receiver with half the speed can run a nice hitch route but for the love of god can we get a wideout who can tackle. If wew\ get rid of wallace it will be a mistake, we will at least tag him next season because lets face it brown is not ready to be number 1 sanders has shown he cant be 2 and certainly not 1. Also you take away wallace and you dont have anyone who can stretch the D. Ben has already expressed his displeasure for the dink and dunk offense how is he going to feel when you take away his only guy who can run a 9 route, are we just going to eliminate our deep ball all together.

zulater
12-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Brown and Sanders can both run deep routes.

zulater
12-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't even know what there is to discuss anymore? They'll either keep him or they wont. My guess is they wont because the money it would take to keep him would be better spent elsewhere. ( Keenan Lewis, early jump on Pouncey). Someone out there will throw a ton of money at Wallace. He wont give the Steelers a home team discount. They can't afford the single season cap hit that franchising him would require. So really there's virtually zero chance he stays.

And the Steelers will survive his loss just fine. Just as they survived the loss of Plaxico Burress in 2005, and the loss of Santonio Holmes in 2010. Both of which were much better overall receivers than Wallace I might add.

Seven
12-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't even know what there is to discuss anymore? They'll either keep him or they wont. My guess is they wont because the money it would take to keep him would be better spent elsewhere. ( Keenan Lewis, early jump on Pouncey). Someone out there will throw a ton of money at Wallace. He wont give the Steelers a home team discount. They can't afford the single season cap hit that franchising him would require. So really there's virtually zero chance he stays.

And the Steelers will survive his loss just fine. Just as they survived the loss of Plaxico Burress in 2005, and the loss of Santonio Holmes in 2010. Both of which were much better overall receivers than Wallace I might add.

Excellent way of laying it all out. Couldn't agree more.

Edman
12-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Brown and Sanders can both run deep routes.

Crisp, Clean Deep Routes. Brown's Double Move to get open Sunday was sick. I don't see Wallace ever doing that.

zulater
12-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Excellent way of laying it all out. Couldn't agree more.

Actually that might be a good trend. Discard a diva receiver, go play in the Super Bowl the following season! :lol:

Seven
12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Crisp, Clean Deep Routes. Brown's Double Move to get open Sunday was sick. I don't see Wallace ever doing that.

That route really impressed me. Brown runs good routes in general and has great quickness as we all know, but I was surprised at the flawlessness with which he executed that pattern. I didn't realize his verticle speed could get to quite that level.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's just another example of why Wallace is largely obsolete.

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 12:27 PM
brown gets deep once, literally ONCE the entire season and all of a sudden he is a deep threat and we dont need anymore deep threats, because wallace apparently has never made a big play in his life. brown makes all the short catches and he's deemed the cog in the offense (which he is to be fair). wallace makes all the short catches and he's still deemed a bum.

Sanders has never made a catch and run go more than 37 yards from the line of scrimmage and all of a sudden he is considered capable of running deep. wallace gets open over and over deep and doesnt catch horribly thrown balls, many of which are uncatchable and he is deemed a bum.

brown scores, he's a superstar. wallace scores, he's a one trick pony even though most of his td's were on short and intermediate routes.

brown fucks up, he is still worth his contract. wallace fucks up, and he isnt even worth his tender. brown has a down year, he's still worth his contract. wallace has a down year, he becomes the goat for every interception that is poorly thrown, the goat for not tackling people who have intercepted balls, and the goat of the entire offense.

These are all real things we've seen on this board over the course of the season. real things. lol i think some fans need to look deep inside and realize that theyre just butthurt over something that happened a long long time ago and it is severely impairing their judgement. double standards: this has been the theme on this forum for the past 6 months.

Mojouw
12-25-2012, 01:48 PM
brown gets deep once, literally ONCE the entire season and all of a sudden he is a deep threat and we dont need anymore deep threats, because wallace apparently has never made a big play in his life. brown makes all the short catches and he's deemed the cog in the offense (which he is to be fair). wallace makes all the short catches and he's still deemed a bum.

Sanders has never made a catch and run go more than 37 yards from the line of scrimmage and all of a sudden he is considered capable of running deep. wallace gets open over and over deep and doesnt catch horribly thrown balls, many of which are uncatchable and he is deemed a bum.

brown scores, he's a superstar. wallace scores, he's a one trick pony even though most of his td's were on short and intermediate routes.

brown fucks up, he is still worth his contract. wallace fucks up, and he isnt even worth his tender. brown has a down year, he's still worth his contract. wallace has a down year, he becomes the goat for every interception that is poorly thrown, the goat for not tackling people who have intercepted balls, and the goat of the entire offense.

These are all real things we've seen on this board over the course of the season. real things. lol i think some fans need to look deep inside and realize that theyre just butthurt over something that happened a long long time ago and it is severely impairing their judgement. double standards: this has been the theme on this forum for the past 6 months.

Great Post. It about sums it up. Combine that with what was said by Zulater above regarding the contract situation and we can collapse every Wallace thread on the board into two posts!

Count Steeler
12-25-2012, 01:50 PM

I think what you are seeing is emotional detachment from a player that is deemed to no longer be a Steeler. If Wallace had signed the contract, I think the criticism would have been there, similar to Browns. Criticism, but he is our guy. With Wallace it has been criticism, get this bum out of town already.

Really, in retrospect, there is no way the Steelers can keep all 3 receivers. They tried to sign Wallace, he did not bite, so they locked up Brown. Sanders will get taken care of this year, probably in the 5-7mil range. Wallace will be gone, and they will draft a WR and bring in some UDFA to fill the void.

I am also thinking that some of the players were used with an eye to their future contracts, rather than for there best utilization for the team. I think McLendon is the poster boy for this.

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I am also thinking that some of the players were used with an eye to their future contracts, rather than for there best utilization for the team. I think McLendon is the poster boy for this.

yeah i agree. im starting to believe Preacher's 3 year cycle theory. i thought it was stupid until someone put it in simple words: 2 years of success, followed by a year where great young players dont play too much for the sake of keeping their price tag down/getting higher draft picks. i still feel like a paranoid hippie for believing even a little bit of it at all, but it sure makes sense

Chidi29
12-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Wallace really didn't give up on that Carr INT either. It took him a second to realize Carr stayed in bounds and the play was still alive. But once Carr started to take off, Wallace was at full speed. And then Carr cut away and Ware was right in Wallace's path so yes, he did slow up then. But if he wasn't interested in chasing the play and "gave up on it", he would have never run in the first place.

The poor route running tag to Wallace seems to be made out of thin air, too. People always throw it out there but never really back it up. One of those baseless criticisms players get.

Edman
12-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Wait a minute, Antonio Brown's not a deep threat? Yeah we know, that big time play on 3rd and 19 in the 2011 Playoff game against the Rats never happened. The great Mike Wallace made that big time play, he's the only "deep threat" on the team, you know.

In 2011, Antonio Brown was named Team MVP over Mike Wallace despite scoring less TD's. No wait, it must be that double standard you're talking about.

If there's been anyone who's butthurt around here, it's Wallace supporters who mistake his mediocre skills as big-time. You are so enamored with his Wallace's pretty deep bombs that you are clouded to the rest of his game.

Do or Die game last week, The Great Mike Wallace catches one ball for 13 yards. Must eat at you to root for an underacheiving one trick pony. "No Guys! Wallace really is that good! Stop bashing on him!"

No he isn't, and the sooner he gets out of Pittsburgh the better, and the sooner fans come to their senses, that he isn't that good to begin with.

NCSteeler
12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
This is my main and consistent criticism of Wallace , he does not go get the ball, he lets it come to him. When you watch some of the greats play you see them attack th Ball in the air and take it, not wait for it to come which I think a few time at least caused ints. Other than that he's a good wr and will likely move on next season , as far as my feelings he's not as god as santonio or Burris when they left

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Wait a minute, Antonio Brown's not a deep threat? Yeah we know, that big time play on 3rd and 19 in the 2011 Playoff game against the Rats never happened. The great Mike Wallace made that big time play, he's the only "deep threat" on the team, you know.

In 2011, Antonio Brown was named Team MVP over Mike Wallace despite scoring less TD's. No wait, it must be that double standard you're talking about.

If there's been anyone who's butthurt around here, it's Wallace supporters who mistake his mediocre skills as big-time. You are so enamored with his Wallace's pretty deep bombs that you are clouded to the rest of his game.

Do or Die game last week, The Great Mike Wallace catches one ball for 13 yards. Must eat at you to root for an underacheiving one trick pony. "No Guys! Wallace really is that good! Stop bashing on him!"

No he isn't, and the sooner he gets out of Pittsburgh the better, and the sooner fans come to their senses, that he isn't that good to begin with.

That awkward moment when Edman finds out antonio brown is my favorite wide receiver on the team.

Antonio brown is my favorite receiver on the team :lol:

And also: That awkward moment when Edman finds out i never once said antonio brown isnt a deep threat. i think he's done just fine in that department. lol

Edman
12-25-2012, 02:43 PM
That route really impressed me. Brown runs good routes in general and has great quickness as we all know, but I was surprised at the flawlessness with which he executed that pattern. I didn't realize his verticle speed could get to quite that level.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's just another example of why Wallace is largely obsolete.

Hey, you can't say anything like that about Wallace. He's been unfairly criticized and it's all a big conspiracy to get him.

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey, you can't say anything like that about Wallace. He's been unfairly criticized and it's all a big conspiracy to get him.

dont be so angry just because you cant refute any of mine and chidi's factual points, get in the holiday spirit instead of ignoring our thoughts :)

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 04:13 PM

wallace did the same thing last week

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Antonio brown is a deep threat??? really??? im sorry man you are just making stuff up, hes a deep threat because he made one catch, a catch that hes lucky he caught. It must eat at you that that a "one trick pony" can out perform the great antonio brown. All you do is have to look at the numbers to realize he does alot more than catch deep balls. Also wow brown was voted team mvp, who cares wallace was steelers rookie of the year ,went to the pro bowl as a receiver and lead the league in yards per catch . Also look at his overall career its very impressive for a young receiver, the numbers dont lie. If you can look at his overall numbers for his career and tell me hes a one trick pony than you just are not intrested in the truth and want to hate on him.

zulater
12-25-2012, 05:35 PM

You tell us, is Wallace going to be a Steeler next year?

Me. I think no. For reasons already covered. So until I see proof otherwise I'm not going to invest myself in this guy any further. I look at it as if he's got one more game as a Steeler and he's gone and that doesn't bother me. As I've said before the Steelers have sustained the loss of better receivers than Wallace in the recent past. If he goes other players roles will change and the end result will be much the same.

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 05:57 PM
You tell us, is Wallace going to be a Steeler next year?

Me. I think no. For reasons already covered. So until I see proof otherwise I'm not going to invest myself in this guy any further. I look at it as if he's got one more game as a Steeler and he's gone and that doesn't bother me. As I've said before the Steelers have sustained the loss of better receivers than Wallace in the recent past. If he goes other players roles will change and the end result will be much the same.

He might he might not, but that doesnt make him a bum, useless, one trick pony, lazy, dont care, and anyother thing hes been called.

zulater
12-25-2012, 06:00 PM
He might he might not, but that doesnt make him a bum, useless, one trick pony, lazy, dont care, and anyother thing hes been called.

I agree he doesn't deserve a lot of the flack he gets around here.

zulater
12-25-2012, 06:06 PM
The best way to sum up my feelings about Wallace is that he's a pretty good player who didn't have a particularly good year as per his ability or his desired pay scale.

st33lersguy
12-25-2012, 09:45 PM
The attitude of Terrell Owens + the work ethic of Albert Haynesworth in Washington + the hands of Limas Sweed= Mike Wallace in 2012 and beyond if he gets paid a lot of money

Seven
12-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Wallace really didn't give up on that Carr INT either. It took him a second to realize Carr stayed in bounds and the play was still alive. But once Carr started to take off, Wallace was at full speed. And then Carr cut away and Ware was right in Wallace's path so yes, he did slow up then. But if he wasn't interested in chasing the play and "gave up on it", he would have never run in the first place.

The poor route running tag to Wallace seems to be made out of thin air, too. People always throw it out there but never really back it up. One of those baseless criticisms players get.

If you think he's crisp in his cuts on routes that aren't sending him straight up the field I'd love to see you back that up. It's just not the case. He rounds out his out patterns on a consistent basis.

Chidi29
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
If you think he's crisp in his cuts on routes that aren't sending him straight up the field I'd love to see you back that up. It's just not the case. He rounds out his out patterns on a consistent basis.

I know his speed is a lethal weapon even when he's not running "go" routes. His ability to sell deep to get a corner to turn his hips and then break down for a curl/comeback/out route is really valuable. And a perfect example of him making someone look silly was his 60 yard catch against Dallas. Go check out the double-move he puts on Danny McCray.

Edman
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
The best way to sum up my feelings about Wallace is that he's a pretty good player who didn't have a particularly good year as per his ability or his desired pay scale.

Mike Wallace truly is a talented player, but he doesn't have the stuff to be great or even very good.

Once his straightline speed is gone, he's dead in the water, because the rest of his game is mediocre and unpolished and it shows when it's taken away from him.

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I know his speed is a lethal weapon even when he's not running "go" routes. His ability to sell deep to get a corner to turn his hips and then break down for a curl/comeback/out route is really valuable. And a perfect example of him making someone look silly was his 60 yard catch against Dallas. Go check out the double-move he puts on Danny McCray.

http://s1.postimage.org/cklbcmupr/Wallace_Out_Route.jpg

You know what play this is.

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
the never ending stereo type of fast receivers being raw :)

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:06 PM

And that progression is actually generous. He was a good yard 1/2 closer to the 40 but due to the withdrawing camera he looks closer to the 35 than he actually was.

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:14 PM
But I do agree with your theory that Wallace thought Carr was out of bounds after watching that sequence again.

Chidi29
12-25-2012, 11:28 PM
http://s1.postimage.org/cklbcmupr/Wallace_Out_Route.jpg

Lot to consider here.

Always tough to predict what was "supposed" to happen on a play (but we all do, including myself). We don't know where that's route supposed to break. I know it's an "out" route but could it have been a speed out? Granted, longer than your usual one but still possible.

And when you talk about a guy that is at full speed at what Wallace is capable of, breaking after about 12 yards at full tilt, you're not always going to be able to break on a dime without slowing down dramatically. So yes, the coaches might let him round the route off a little more than you'd like.

I can't say for sure what Wallace was supposed to do. But neither can anyone else.

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Lot to consider here.

Always tough to predict what was "supposed" to happen on a play (but we all do, including myself). We don't know where that's route supposed to break. I know it's an "out" route but could it have been a speed out? Granted, longer than your usual one but still possible.

And when you talk about a guy that is at full speed at what Wallace is capable of, breaking after about 12 yards at full tilt, you're not always going to be able to break on a dime without slowing down dramatically. So yes, the coaches might let him round the route off a little more than you'd like.

I can't say for sure what Wallace was supposed to do. But neither can anyone else.

It's fine if that's how you want to go about discussing it, but please don't tell me I'm wrong when I say he runs poor short/intermediate routes if you self admttedly can't show me he runs good ones.

By all indicators this should have been a ten yard out. He was the quarterback's first progression as far as I can tell and Ben put the ball exactly where it needed to be once the receiver broke just before ten yards out. If I'm correct Wallace rounding off his route cost us the game.

I don't buy the fact that coaches would ever "allow" him to run a sloppy pattern simply because he is fast.

Chidi29
12-25-2012, 11:47 PM
It's fine if that's how you want to go about discussing it, but please don't tell me I'm wrong when I say he runs poor short/intermediate routes if you self admttedly can't show me he runs good ones.

By all indicators this should have been a ten yard out. He was the quarterback's first progression as far as I can tell and Ben put the ball exactly where it needed to be once the receiver broke just before ten yards out. If I'm correct Wallace rounding off his route cost us the game.

I don't buy the fact that coaches would ever "allow" him to run a sloppy pattern simply because he is fast.

When did I say I couldn't do that? Good Lord, I'm sorry I didn't have time to create a comprehensive breakdown of all the routes Wallace has run. Can't do that in five minutes. Or tonight since it's late.

Typically, your intermediate routes break between 12-15 yards. I know he starts to cut earlier but he really doesn't break until about that depth.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-NFL-route-tree.html

"And outside of the 3-step game (Slant, Flat), every route breaks at a depth of 12-15 yards."

It's not a "sloppy" route. It's just a speed out.

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:57 PM
When did I say I couldn't do that?

Judging by what you said here:

I don't see how it would be possible to prove anything. I could just make this same statement with regards to any route you proved he ran well.

Good Lord, I'm sorry I didn't have time to create a comprehensive breakdown of all the routes Wallace has run. Can't do that in five minutes. Or tonight since it's late.

Typically, your intermediate routes break between 12-15 yards. I know he starts to cut earlier but he really doesn't break until about that depth.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-NFL-route-tree.html

"And outside of the 3-step game (Slant, Flat), every route breaks at a depth of 12-15 yards."

It's not a "sloppy" route. It's just a speed out.

You don't have to show me anything if you don't wish to, I just don't take kindly to being accused of making "baseless" criticisms of players when the statement I made is rooted in fact.

As far as the route goes you are entitled to your opinion. I've seen this team run ten yard outs all year so regardless of whether a link tells me "most intermediate routes break after 12 yards" or not I stand by my statement. Even if it was supposed to break at 12 the break was awful.

Nothing personal, you just said no one ever backs up the fact that Wallace runs poor routes. So I did.

Chidi29
12-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I was referring to that particular play because there is some definite grey area. But you can draw some conclusions at times too if it's obvious enough. You could even prove that route was sloppier if you're able to pinpoint a similar play/route that was run "better". Right now, there isn't anything to compare it to. Everything is relative.

Sometimes routes will be adjusted to the sticks. So that can change when routes break. But not the case here since it isn't a 3rd down or similar situation. And "that link" is from a former NFL safety who is one of the best X and O guys around. So he's pretty credible.

Yes, I said no one backed up their claims. You're the first I can think of.

Seven
12-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I was referring to that particular play because there is some definite grey area. But you can draw some conclusions at times too if it's obvious enough. You could even prove that route was sloppier if you're able to pinpoint a similar play/route that was run "better". Right now, there isn't anything to compare it to. Everything is relative.

Sometimes routes will be adjusted to the sticks. So that can change when routes break. But not the case here since it isn't a 3rd down or similar situation. And "that link" is from a former NFL safety who is one of the best X and O guys around. So he's pretty credible.

Yes, I said no one backed up their claims. You're the first I can think of.

Fair enough. I have no issue with you disagreeing with me. I realize what I've given here isn't absolute proof beyond doubt or anything (although I do believe he runs poor routes), I just simply wanted to show that my statement earlier in this thread was absolutely not "baseless". Whether you agree with it or not I'm happy that you realize I do have some base for my opinions outside of just making things up. Although to be fair I do realize there are many who do that. I hope from here on out you'll not consider me among them.

Have a good night :tea:

Chidi29
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't consider you one of them because after I asked, you provided evidence. So it's all good man.

Seven
12-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't consider you one of them because after I asked, you provided evidence. So it's all good man.

Thanks buddy, this sort of led to a whole other thread which I started. Feel free to comment there if you have any thoughts, should be a lot more fodder for you to take aim at there :chuckle:

In all seriousness though, if you do come accross that thread I'd love to hear your opinions - whether you agree or disagree with what I thought.

That topic would benefit from your opinions.

Chidi29
12-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I just got back a little while ago and saw you started the thread. Though it's seem to have been, uh, derailed.

But definitely some good info you had in the OP. Excellent, objective analysis. I'll probably look it over again, maybe watch some more film myself, and then throw up a couple comments.

Seven
12-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I just got back a little while ago and saw you started the thread. Though it's seem to have been, uh, derailed.

But definitely some good info you had in the OP. Excellent, objective analysis. I'll probably look it over again, maybe watch some more film myself, and then throw up a couple comments.

Sounds good, thanks. I know you do that kind of stuff pretty frequently so I was curious to see what you thought.