PDA

View Full Version : That does it.

Edman
12-23-2012, 03:29 PM
It was a do or die game, and the team decided it was going to die. At least it's over.

Who should stay? Who needs to go? Who needs to be put on notice?

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Sweet thread brah!

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
ill show our guys some love because the team clearly poured out their heart and soul into this game. Especially the defense. Absolutely inspirational effort, i just wish the offense could have fed off their energy. Man i miss those days

jakobn89
12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Get rid of Mike Wallace. I wanted him to stay so badly this summer, but he hasn't stepped up when needed, and he drops a lot.

steel9guy
12-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Defense played amazing today, stupid decisions cost us.

fansince'76
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I hope to God they bring in some competition at punter to camp.

Carolina Steelers
12-23-2012, 03:50 PM
ill show our guys some love because the team clearly poured out their heart and soul into this game. Especially the defense. Absolutely inspirational effort, i just wish the offense could have fed off their energy. Man i miss those days

Defense step up today hold Bengals offense to 2 FG's and still lose, cant believe are offense cant score 2 TD's. Well yea its over i dont think we would have made it past 1st rd anyway if we made it. we are what are record say .500 (if we win next week)

- - - Updated - - -

agreed hes been awful the last few games

fansince'76
12-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Oh, and a new special teams coach.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 03:53 PM
honestly im least impressed with the coaching staff

Edman
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Get rid of Mike Wallace. I wanted him to stay so badly this summer, but he hasn't stepped up when needed, and he drops a lot.

Rashard Mendenhall can go with him, too.

Oh and speaking of Wallace, true to form, he disappeared today. Yeah, he needs to go. He hurts the offense too damn much.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm going strictly from the stats and the play-by-play since I didn't get to watch the game.

From what I can see, the defense played very well and the offense STUNK! Poor play calling, poor execution, didn't take advantage of turnovers, etc. TERRIBLE!!!!

At least this nightmare season is almost over.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
ya he disappeared because ben couldnt make a throw, mendy looked great. you keep wallace you keep mendy you keep brown you sanders you keep ben, todd haley needs to adjust his damn system around these guys, this wallace hate and mendy hate is dumb. Ben was awful and the o line was awful thats why wallace didnt have a good game ben had no time to get him the ball and when he was wide open ben misses him. Mendy looked really good but of course our genius coaching staff didnt want to give him the ball.

stillers4me
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I only saw Mendy ran "good" a couple of times. He didn't do any better than the committe did without him.

Edman
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm going strictly from the stats and the play-by-play since I didn't get to watch the game.

From what I can see, the defense played very well and the offense STUNK! Poor play calling, poor execution, didn't take advantage of turnovers, etc. TERRIBLE!!!!

At least this nightmare season is almost over.

It's already over, it's all about playing for next year.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2012, 04:06 PM
It's already over, it's all about playing for next year.

The nightmare isn't over yet. We still have to play the Browns. Losing to them will just put a cherry on top of this big pile of shit of a season.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I only saw Mendy ran "good" a couple of times. He didn't do any better than the committe did without him. He only carried 11 times but for 50 yds he was fast and powerful but tomlin wouldnt leave him in the game, he actually out rushed dwyer and redman combined.

dwyer and redman 17 carries 43 yds
mendy 11 carries 50 yds

Edman
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Mendenhall is unreliable much like Wallace. He only plays well when he feels like it.

Carolina Steelers
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM

I agree every punt we had i felt like the the other team was going to take it to the house or get great field position

Heinz Hitman
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
ya he disappeared because ben couldnt make a throw, mendy looked great. you keep wallace you keep mendy you keep brown you sanders you keep ben, todd haley needs to adjust his damn system around these guys, this wallace hate and mendy hate is dumb. Ben was awful and the o line was awful thats why wallace didnt have a good game ben had no time to get him the ball and when he was wide open ben misses him. Mendy looked really good but of course our genius coaching staff didnt want to give him the ball.

I would agree with this...if I wanted to suck again next season also. :wink02:

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 05:25 PM

you forget we went to 2 superbowls with same guys we are deeming the problem. So next year when we have dwyer out of the backfield getting stuffed brown at our number 1 catching 3 tds a year and sanders catching 3 balls a game for 20 yds im sure our offense will be explosive.

steel9guy
12-23-2012, 07:44 PM
This game hurts so bad that I'm listening to Van Hagar.

vader29
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
The nightmare isn't over yet. We still have to play the Browns. Losing to them will just put a cherry on top of this big pile of shit of a season.
Now that the playoffs are out of reach I wouldn't mind if they lost the last game to gain a better spot in the draft but they will probably somehow come out of it with a win to screw that up also.

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Wallace and Rash need to go. They have talent on the field, but inconsistent at best. We just have too many cap issues.

Woodley should also be gone. Hampton, Foote, and maybe even Harrison may be casualties.

WR coach should go, Kugler is already gone, Haley may go to Arizona, LeBeau may retire.

This team is going to go through a major overhaul, by design or not.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 08:55 PM

How about a special teams coach in general. :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Now that the playoffs are out of reach I wouldn't mind if they lost the last game to gain a better spot in the draft but they will probably somehow come out of it with a win to screw that up also.

Agreed. It's time to look at the big picture now. A win against the Browns probably costs us around 5 slots in the draft.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Wallace and Rash need to go. They have talent on the field, but inconsistent at best. We just have too many cap issues.

Woodley should also be gone. Hampton, Foote, and maybe even Harrison may be casualties.

WR coach should go, Kugler is already gone, Haley may go to Arizona, LeBeau may retire.

This team is going to go through a major overhaul, by design or not.

I agree with you on all points. They are projected to be $18-22 Million over the cap next season...from what I've read.

Colbert's misses recently need to be hits from now on. This team is going to get younger, thank goodness.

LLT
12-23-2012, 09:37 PM

What happened to him? He was incredible at the beginning of the year then just fizzled. Injury?

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Agreed. It's time to look at the big picture now. A win against the Browns probably costs us around 5 slots in the draft.

Does 7-9 get us Manti Te'o? Do we want him?

Hard for me to say tank the game.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 10:00 PM

I think we both know they won't tank. As a fan though..and with this season down the toilet..what's the point in winning next week. I hate seeing them lose, but I'm trying to think big picture here. The team needs better & younger players...of course, that relies upon Colbert & Tomlin making good picks.

86WARD
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
There's a lot of dead weight in this team...a lot!

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I agree with you on all points. They are projected to be $18-22 Million over the cap next season...from what I've read.

Colbert's misses recently need to be hits from now on. This team is going to get younger, thank goodness.

That's definitely a big issue. Andrew Brandt has repeatedly talked about how we're the team in the worst cap shape. Praying the cap spikes for next year.

And looking at the contracts, I don't really know how to fix it. The guys with the mega-deals are the cornerstones (Ben, Brown, Woodley). Hope we're not going to wind up being stuck.

steelreserve
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM

I wouldn't say "tank," but there's sure no reason to try too hard. I can honestly say right now that my top concern is not getting any more players hurt (any worse than they already are). Seriously. We could legitimately hold out 80% of the starting lineup due to injury or just being worn the hell down, and probably should.

Letting a few younger guys like Worilds and Heyward and DeCastro and Cortez Allen get some useful experience is about the only good thing that could come out of this game. I don't even care if we win, and I'm not going to be watching either. Seems like playing a lot of young guys and losing would be the best outcome, so why the hell not.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 10:59 PM
No way. I don't wave the white flag. If I do that as a coach, put my backups in, my players should rightfully lose a ton of respect for me.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2012, 11:04 PM

THIS

SteelMayhem72
12-23-2012, 11:12 PM
hey fellow steeler buds....this is my last post for this season...enjoyed talkin to everybody. We just didnt have IT this season and I do honestly believe there was some internal stuff going on in that locker room and behind the scenes that they are not letting on about but it dont matter now...playoff hopes are gone!!! Coaches need to regroup this team along with getting rid of a few...namely wallace....probably a few of our elder statesman I hate to see go but father time waits for noone...everybody have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I will more than likely be back here in April come draft time!! Our team probably needs a major overhaul and philosophy...Im not sure what has happened to our fav Big Ben...maybe injuries, concussions or our Offensive Coordinator but something is not all there with him...hell it could even be marriage and fatherhood who knows.

steelreserve
12-24-2012, 12:21 AM
No way. I don't wave the white flag. If I do that as a coach, put my backups in, my players should rightfully lose a ton of respect for me.

Not all backups, but some of these guys are really limping to the finish line, and it does no one any favors to throw them out there next week. This game is essentially garbage time. Wouldn't it be great if Harrison hurt his back, or someone like Lewis or Pouncey or Brown blew out his knee in a meaningless game and fucked up their entire 2013 season - which DOES happen, you know.

You can talk all you want about playing for pride and never quitting on each other, but guess what? They blew it already and the players all know it. Getting to 8-8 proves exactly dick. This is one of those games that I'm sure from a player's perspective, yeah it'd be nice to win, but I'm sure they're all aware of the situation.

katmandu
12-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Now that the playoffs are out of reach I wouldn't mind if they lost the last game to gain a better spot in the draft but they will probably somehow come out of it with a win to screw that up also.THIS!

Lambert_Loonie
12-24-2012, 04:46 AM

God, I hope so! I'd trade up for Manti Te'o.

As for the original topic at hand...

I have a hard time believing Todd Haley comes back. I don't think he even gets fired. I think he'll just say "screw this place" and walk.

Wallace & Mendenhall? TTYL.

There's no QB depth after Ben; I <3 Charlie Batch but dude is pressing 40 and Leftwich can't tie his shoes without winding up on the injured list. Honestly, I'd draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round or test the free agent market.

Willie Colon just hacks me off. Either he's hurt or he's raking in penalties.

This one bums me out - I think Lebeau finally retires. :(

fansince'76
12-24-2012, 04:50 AM

This. Any coach that condones intentionally tanking a game deserves to get fired. That's bush league shit.

Steeldude
12-24-2012, 04:57 AM

I think the WR's coach, conditioning coach and RB's coach should be replaced too.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a hard time believing Todd Haley comes back. I don't think he even gets fired. I think he'll just say "screw this place" and walk.

If Haley has a chance to go elsewhere he will take it.

Seven
12-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Foote needs out of the starting lineup. Mendenhall needs to go. Wallace can go. Team needs to re-sign Lewis and needs to retain Colon. Those are my initial thoughts.

And this will be unpopular but if Haley wants to go back to the desert I wouldn't fight to keep him. In dire situations he made play calls as if Matt Cassel were still his quarterback.

86WARD
12-24-2012, 06:05 AM
What makes anyone think Haley wants to get out so bad? Lol...

That'd be good...another new offense in as many seasons. Recipe for success!

Seven
12-24-2012, 06:15 AM
What makes anyone think Haley wants to get out so bad? Lol...

That'd be good...another new offense in as many seasons. Recipe for success!

Reports are if he's offered the job he'll take it in a heartbeat. Take that for what you will.

whodat1
12-24-2012, 07:41 AM
This. Any coach that condones intentionally tanking a game deserves to get fired. That's bush league shit.

I agree with this for just getting a better draft spot. However, I would bench any of the walking wounded and give their backup a shot just in the interest of health. For instance, Pouncy & Lewis (maybe Brown) at least should sit out the Browns game. At this point there is no sense aggravating an injury for a game that does make much of a difference.

Lambert_Loonie
12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I agree with this for just getting a better draft spot. However, I would bench any of the walking wounded and give their backup a shot just in the interest of health. For instance, Pouncy & Lewis (maybe Brown) at least should sit out the Browns game. At this point there is no sense aggravating an injury for a game that does make much of a difference.

I agree with that. This game is basically the 1st Preseason game of the 2013 season. Put the young guys in and see what they've got.

zulater
12-24-2012, 08:22 AM
You play to win the game. You don't let the Browns come in to Pittsburgh and complete the season sweep. That puts wind in their sails going into next season. If you're healthy and a starter you play this game! Kick that teams ass if you can!

steel9guy
12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
You play to win the game. You don't let the Browns come in to Pittsburgh and complete the season sweep. That puts wind in their sails going into next season. If you're healthy and a starter you play this game! Kick that teams ass if you can!

YES! No way on earth that I want to get swept by the browns. That is the lowest of the lows.

atlsteelers
12-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Art rooney ii..chased off bruce arians who should be inline for a head coaching job after the job he is doing with the colts. We have missed bad on some draft choices. Poor coaching decisions all year. Just an overall shitty season.

SteelerFanInStl
12-24-2012, 09:20 AM
YES! No way on earth that I want to get swept by the browns. That is the lowest of the lows.

Agreed, especially since it looks like Colt McCoy might be starting for the Browns with Weedon hurt.

Losing the last 4 games of the season is no way to end it and go into the offseason.

Butch
12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
you forget we went to 2 superbowls with same guys we are deeming the problem. So next year when we have dwyer out of the backfield getting stuffed brown at our number 1 catching 3 tds a year and sanders catching 3 balls a game for 20 yds im sure our offense will be explosive.

You must be kidding with this we won a superbowl with (insert names here). As I have stated before we also won with Berger as our punter and Reed as our kicker. See how silly that argument is???

I for one have been on a bring back Berger rant for years now, hopefully next year we bring him in for another look!!!

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
We were gonna get eliminated from the playoffs in the Bengals game, or we were gonna get eliminated from the playoffs vs. Cleveland, the wildcard game, etc... NO WAY was this team going to go all the way. The Bengals did us a favor and simply put this wounded hourse named "Pittsburgh Steelers" out of its misery ! I love my team, but I'm glad this year is over for THIS paricular set of players on THIS team, they had gotten hard to watch.

fansince'76
12-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Reports are if he's offered the job he'll take it in a heartbeat. Take that for what you will.

Any OC in the league would jump at a HC job. He'd be stupid if he didn't. Especially considering the raw deal he got in KC from that Richard-Nixon-batshit-level-paranoid nutjob Pioli.

Mean Joe
12-24-2012, 11:43 AM
We were gonna get eliminated from the playoffs in the Bengals game, or we were gonna get eliminated from the playoffs vs. Cleveland, the wildcard game, etc... NO WAY was this team going to go all the way. The Bengals did us a favor and simply put this wounded hourse named "Pittsburgh Steelers" out of its misery ! I love my team, but I'm glad this year is over for THIS paricular set of players on THIS team, they had gotten hard to watch.

Agreed. It has not been an enjoyable season to watch. Still coping with the Monday morning loss hangover topped with a playoff elimination migraine...

steeldawg
12-24-2012, 12:16 PM
You must be kidding with this we won a superbowl with (insert names here). As I have stated before we also won with Berger as our punter and Reed as our kicker. See how silly that argument is???

I for one have been on a bring back Berger rant for years now, hopefully next year we bring him in for another look!!!

the point is there is no way wallace and mendy being big parts of our superbowl run against the packers are all the sudden players we need to get rid of. fact is we are better with mendy in the backfield over dwyer and we are better at receiver with wallace brown sanders as opposed to brown sanders cotch. If you want to talk about guys that cost us games you have no choice but to put brown into that category. These guys did not forget how to play, something is wrong with the team now and its not the talent.

86WARD
12-24-2012, 12:30 PM

It's a head coach gig. Most coordinators want to do that. But that doesn't mean he wants to get out of "dodge."

I've actually read several places that There is a better chance Whisenhunt will be back and the GM and coaching staff will be revamped. One of the stipulations of Whisenhunts return will be to give up all say on the coaching staff...which will mean Grimm will be gone.

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 02:07 PM
If this team had any heart, a head coach who knew what the hell he was doing, wide receivers who knew how to hold onto the fricking football, and special teams who weren't solely comprised of the world's dumbest people, we would be sitting at 13-2 and Houston's loss would have meant that the Steelers would be a win away from home-field advantage. Cincy and Dallas would have been eliminated from playoff contention right now, and Baltimore would be a widcard. Of course this crap team will show some heart and win against Cleveland for a meaningless win that does nothing but hurt their draft position

Chidi29
12-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Jack Bechta reports the 2013 cap will be lower than this past years.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-bold-predictions-for-2013.html

"In addition, the annual cap reset historically gave the majority of teams with cap pressures instant relief. Not this year! The 2013 cap has actually gone south thus putting more pressure on teams with hefty cap numbers this year."

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM

what is THAT supposed to mean?

Craic
12-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Any OC in the league would jump at a HC job. He'd be stupid if he didn't. Especially considering the raw deal he got in KC from that Richard-Nixon-batshit-level-paranoid nutjob Pioli.

:rofl2:

Austin87
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Jack Bechta reports the 2013 cap will be lower than this past years.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-bold-predictions-for-2013.html

"In addition, the annual cap reset historically gave the majority of teams with cap pressures instant relief. Not this year! The 2013 cap has actually gone south thus putting more pressure on teams with hefty cap numbers this year."

This is bad.