PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin

GBMelBlount
12-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I gotta say that was another low percentage knucklehead decision by Tomlin to go for the field goal.

Win or lose I gotta say I have become less impressed with his decisions at critical times.

Let's pray we win...

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Officially done with Tomlin after that call. He is stupid! Doesn't learn.

Archive it...I won't back down. I want him gone.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I knew the Tomlin threads would be made to deflect Blame from the real goat, BEN. We had a chance to win it AFTER the missed FG and Ben threw a pick. Yep. Lets blame Tomlin. Soooo predictable.

Where is the "Blame Haley" thread?

fansince'76
12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I can't defend Tomlin anymore after that idiotic decision to go for that FG. And then to compound it, try and force the ball down the field only to have Ben throw the INT.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Lets blame Tomlin and NOT the franchise QB who threw the pick. LOL

Godfather
12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Trying a 53-yard FG at Heinz was a bonehead move.

I agree with trying to win in regulation after we got the ball back. We had 44 seconds and two timeouts and we just needed a field goal. Going to overtime is just as risky, which we know from last week.

dislocatedday
12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Tomlin needs to be on watch next season. The offense did not execute today, but he has made some poor coaching decisions this year. I'm pissed right now, so maybe I'll feel differently later, but this late season collapse is pathetic.

Edman
12-23-2012, 03:21 PM
It's a little too late to play the blame game.

This team has no business being in the postseason. Any team who gets blown out by San Diego at home has no biz in the playoffs. Period.

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 03:21 PM
tomlin and ben were both boneheads at the end of the game. thats only fair to say

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Lets blame Tomlin and NOT the franchise QB who threw the pick. LOL

With Tomlin and Ben...it's a case of Dumb and Dumber

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
tomlin and ben were both boneheads at the end of the game. thats only fair to say

Now that is a fair statement.

salamander
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
This season is making it hard for me to defend Tomlin anymore. I still respect the hell outta him as a coach but he sucks something fierce at decision making.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm honestly fine with both decisions. You have a chance to win the game, you don't pass them up.

If Suisham makes it or Ben leads us down to a game-winning drive, Tomlin gets a ton of praise.

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Bring back Arians and make his our HC!

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:25 PM
With Tomlin and Ben...it's a case of Dumb and Dumber

Ben is dumber because he is actually on the field not executing. Brady is great because of Bellicheat? I think not, I think he is great due to HIS execution. Marino and Boomer are ALL OVER BEN and they should be.

steel9guy
SCREW TOMLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M DONE FREAKEN DEFENDING HIS STUPID CALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! OUR FREAKEN KICKER CAN"T MAKE IT THAT LONG SO WHAT THE HECK WAS HE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WAS BEN RUNNING THE OFFENSE INSTEAD OF GOING TO OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoes
Cesspool time will do this team well....it's what they deserve....and well earned. I'm actually quite relieved.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
No, it was not a good decision to go for the FG. At all. But they still had a chance to win the game or at least get the game to OT, and Ben throws a game-ending pick for the 2nd week in a row. Couple that with the pick-6, and Ben is your goat this week. He is responsible for 10 of the 13 points the Bengals scored today.

At the same time, Mike Tomlin really needs to take this offseason and re-evaluate himself as a coach. Because he has made FAR too many bonehead decisions over the past couple of seasons. You can forget about the Steelers firing him, BlastFurnace. You know damn well the Steelers do not fire head coaches, especially a coach they just gave an extension to, and they shouldn't fire him now.

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Momlin.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 03:27 PM
This forum has become completely unbearable after a loss. Everyone takes the Steelers and everything that comes with this team way to seriously.

salamander
12-23-2012, 03:29 PM
This forum has become completely unbearable after a loss. Everyone takes the Steelers and everything that comes with this team way to seriously.

You're on a Steelers forum, what do you expect? :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Nope, I'm over it. I'm actually relieved that the season ended today. This season was a train wreck from the word go. From the horseshit media-created "drama" between Haley and Roethlisberger, to our top 3 draft picks going down with injuries during preseason, to the entire team being a fucking MASH unit all year, I'm truly glad it's over. And I'm glad Dan Rooney is coming back from Ireland.

Shoes

Everyone? I sure don't, I'm actually happy it ended today! :chuckle:

steelerdude15
You're on a Steelers forum, what do you expect? :chuckle:

I know. I love the Steelers as much as anyone here, but there is absolutely no reason to get so emotional after a loss. There are more important things in life like our families, friends, jobs, education, and our health.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone? I sure don't, I'm actually happy it ended today! :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Shoes
Nope, I'm over it. I'm actually relieved that the season ended today. This season was a train wreck from the word go.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:31 PM
No, it was not a good decision to go for the FG. At all. But they still had a chance to win the game or at least get the game to OT, and Ben throws a game-ending pick for the 2nd week in a row. Couple that with the pick-6, and Ben is your goat this week. He is responsible for 10 of the 13 points the Bengals scored today.

At the same time, Mike Tomlin really needs to take this offseason and re-evaluate himself as a coach. Because he has made FAR too many bonehead decisions over the past couple of seasons. You can forget about the Steelers firing him, BlastFurnace. You know damn well the Steelers do not fire head coaches, especially a coach they just gave an extension to, and they shouldn't fire him now.

Another honest post. Not to mention that Ben took a sack to take us out of FG range and missed a WIDE OPEN Wallace for a TD. Thats 10 points

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Well, I for one don't take any of this seriously. After all that I have been through over the past 2 years, sports just aren't important to me anymore. A lot of them simply don't understand that it's just a game, and they live/die with them. I'm sorry, but there are far more important things in life than a damn football game. I hope that once they calm down and take the emotion out of it, they will be more rational.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Was Tomlin perfect? Heck no. But how HE gets more blame than Ben is just IDIOTIC

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Well, I for one don't take any of this seriously. After all that I have been through over the past 2 years, sports just aren't important to me anymore. A lot of them simply don't understand that it's just a game, and they live/die with them. I'm sorry, but there are far more important things in life than a damn football game. I hope that once they calm down and take the emotion out of it, they will be more rational.

While sports are still important to me (not only do I watch, but I also play sports), you are absolutely correct that there are more important things in life.

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Everyone on this forum loves me :D Just kidding going to hang myself!

GBMelBlount
12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm honestly fine with both decisions. You have a chance to win the game, you don't pass them up.

If Suisham makes it or Ben leads us down to a game-winning drive, Tomlin gets a ton of praise.

Wasn't better than a 15% chance of making that.

Your comment shows your inability to comprehend the massively high risk vs. very low return probabilities at that critical time.

Something I sense you and Tomlin both have in common...

...and this is NOT a personal attack Chidi. I think the world of you as a person.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Your comment shows your inability to comprehend the massively high risk vs. very low return probabilities at that critical time.

Something I sense you and Tomlin both have in common....

No, the chances aren't great but they're not zero either. You have a chance to win the game. Your offense has been sluggish all day, to say the least. I get the reasoning to give it a shot especially when your kicker has played as well as you could have asked for.

If he makes it, no one complains. It's a hindsight reaction.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Nope, I'm over it. I'm actually relieved that the season ended today. This season was a train wreck from the word go. From the horseshit media-created "drama" between Haley and Roethlisberger, to our top 3 draft picks going down with injuries during preseason, to the entire team being a fucking MASH unit all year, I'm truly glad it's over. And I'm glad Dan Rooney is coming back from Ireland.

Actually, it all started with the Arians "firing" and all of the controversy surrounding it. Add in everything else, and I don't think this team had a chance this season. They were, in fact, doomed from day one.

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Your 18 years old so your blanket support doesn't surprise me.

Something I sense you and Tomlin both have in common....

HAHAHAHAHAH You called out his age. I'm 21 and more immature than him. So eat that!!! He is the smartest dude on here hence why him and Zulater never agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it all started with the Arians "firing" and all of the controversy surrounding it. Add in everything else, and I don't think this team had a chance this season. They were, in fact, doomed from day one.

Fire Arians, bring back Kuhns!!!!!!!!

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Something I sense you and Tomlin both have in common...

...and this is NOT a personal attack Chidi. I think the world of you as a person.

I've been critical of Tomlin's mistakes. I think it was still a terrible idea to go for it on that 4th and 1 conversion by Redman. I don't use hindsight as my guide.

steel9guy
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't let it ruin my life but I do get a little ticked off when they screw around and blow games at the end every time they can this year.

HollywoodSteel
Ben is dumber because he is actually on the field not executing. Brady is great because of Bellicheat? I think not, I think he is great due to HIS execution. Marino and Boomer are ALL OVER BEN and they should be.

I think Brady would be great without Belichick, but I don't think he would have all those Super Bowl appearances and rings without him. That team is in the playoffs every year despite all the turnover. Even the year Brady was gone they went 11-5 witha Matt Cassel. I'm not gong to suggest that Belichick would have had that success without Brady either. They are lucky to have each other.

No one isn't suggesting that Ben isn't a goat. He is. But Tomlin isn't above criticism either here. He was lucky to make that 4th down call as well with that same predictable play call from Haley. If not for a tremendous individual effort by Redman, he would be getting heat for that as well.

salamander
Just be grateful we don't go through head coaches every couple of years.

stillers4me
12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
We never really came out of the barn with any gusto this year. And some of the sqeeakers we won we actually thanks to Ben.
With this kind of season, there's enough blame to go around to everybody.

Except Heath Miller. We can leave him out of this conversation.

Steelermania
12-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I really didn't have a problem with the fg, or trying to drive inside of one minute. If we did the opposite and ended up losing, people would be bitching about us not playing to win. Our kicker was booming his kickoffs today, and I though he had a chance to make it. Besides, it ended up not mattering, as we forced a punt, after the missed fg attempt. Ben just wasn't good after he came back from the injury, and that's the biggest reason we lost the last 3 games. Before he got hurt, he had only thrown 4 picks all year. After the injury, he was throwing pick 6's, and worm burners on his short passes. Also, would someone tell the coaches that Dwyer is not the answer. I cringed every time I saw him come on the field. A quality running back, and another starting guard should be our priorities on offense. On defense, I'm not sold on Ziggy, and we need more young depth at saftey, as well someone who can soon replace Foote.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Just be grateful we don't go through head coaches every couple of years.

If most fans had their way, that's exactly what we'd get. Thank God the Steelers' FO doesn't listen to the fans in that regard. But you can still bet both Dan and Art II will let their feelings known about his highly questionable coaching decisions this offseason.

steelpride12
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Gramlin.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
If most fans had their way, that's exactly what we'd get. Thank God the Steelers' FO doesn't listen to the fans in that regard. But you can still bet both Dan and Art II will let their feelings known about his highly questionable coaching decisions this offseason.

I'll admit to this...I thought replacing Arians would help Ben. Did the exact opposite. This offense was brutal this year and Ben's penchant for big plays is gone. He scares me to death when he passes now.

I still think Tomlin is an issue. On Tuesday, we will hear "We own it"...blah...blah. He doesn't learn from mistakes.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 04:05 PM
a perfect example of tomlins mismangement of this team is the mendy situation, that guy looked great and weve had had him in sweats sitting on the sidelines? for what? Im so over our coaching staff we have a roster packed with talent and a groups of coaches who cant put it together.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah if we won the Super Bowl, everyone would view Tomlin as a God. :rolleyes: People turn on our players and coaches way to quick.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I know. I love the Steelers as much as anyone here, but there is absolutely no reason to get so emotional after a loss. There are more important things in life like our families, friends, jobs, education, and our health.

Your family and health are more important to you than the Steelers? Typical bandwagon fan. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah if we won the Super Bowl, everyone would view Tomlin as a God. :rolleyes: People turn on our players and coaches way to quick.

Well, yeah that's how it works for a reason. If the jets had won the Super Bowl the same would be the case over there. If San Diego had won the Super Bowl..., and so on. But they didn't so people are held accountable and possibly replaced. Is there a better system you'd like to suggest?

Steelermania
a perfect example of tomlins mismangement of this team is the mendy situation, that guy looked great and weve had had him in sweats sitting on the sidelines? for what? Im so over our coaching staff we have a roster packed with talent and a groups of coaches who cant put it together.

People were bitching, and calling for Brown, Wallace, and Saunders to get a seat on the bench for being loose with the football, yet when Mendy gets just that, the coach is dumb. Can't have it both ways.

Steelreal
I think Brady would be great without Belichick, but I don't think he would have all those Super Bowl appearances and rings without him. That team is in the playoffs every year despite all the turnover. Even the year Brady was gone they went 11-5 witha Matt Cassel. I'm not gong to suggest that Belichick would have had that success without Brady either. They are lucky to have each other.

No one isn't suggesting that Ben isn't a goat. He is. But Tomlin isn't above criticism either here. He was lucky to make that 4th down call as well with that same predictable play call from Haley. If not for a tremendous individual effort by Redman, he would be getting heat for that as well.

They went 11-5 without Brady but MISSED THE PLAYOFFS. How many times have they missed WITH him? ZERO. How many times have we missed with Ben and BETTER talent? THREE.

GBMelBlount
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
No, the chances aren't great but they're not zero either. You have a chance to win the game. Your offense has been sluggish all day, to say the least. I get the reasoning to give it a shot especially when your kicker has played as well as you could have asked for.

If he makes it, no one complains. It's a hindsight reaction.

No. It's not.

I said to my wife BEFORE he kicked it was a poor decision.

In fact, even GOING FOR IT was statistically a better option than trying that field goal.

I seriously am wondering if Tomlin is simply not a numbers guy.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 04:23 PM
No. It's not.

I said to my wife BEFORE he kicked it was a poor decision.

In fact, even GOING FOR IT was statistically a better option than trying that field goal.

I seriously am wondering if Tomlin is simply not a numbers guy.

I'm talking about fans in general when it comes to hindsight being 20/20. Steelers' fans love that.

I would have been fine with any decision Tomlin made to be frank. It's a really difficult call and each one had its pros/cons. Though I think going for it would have been last on my list.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
They went 11-5 without Brady but MISSED THE PLAYOFFS. How many times have they missed WITH him? ZERO. How many times have we missed with Ben and BETTER talent? THREE.

Uh, yeah. They missed the playoffs with him in 2002. So once again, you are wrong.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
The FG decision is moot. We got the ball back and had plenty of time to get the ball down in FG range. The pick ended that. If Ben goes down and wins the game he is a hero. When he doesnt you all deflect blame to the line, Tomlin, injuries etc.

However, when Peyton Manning or Brady do the SAME THING at end of games, they are chokers.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Your family and health are more important to you than the Steelers? Typical bandwagon fan. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, yeah that's how it works for a reason. If the jets had won the Super Bowl the same would be the case over there. If San Diego had won the Super Bowl..., and so on. But they didn't so people are held accountable and possibly replaced. Is there a better system you'd like to suggest?

I should have been more clear. People take it way too serious and want everyone gone when things go wrong for every team in every sport.

steeldawg
People were bitching, and calling for Brown, Wallace, and Saunders to get a seat on the bench for being loose with the football, yet when Mendy gets just that, the coach is dumb. Can't have it both ways.

Not me i said exactly the opposite i said you players play through mistakes you dont put pros on the bench when they fumble its counter productive. and its one thing to bench a guy for a seriesor maybe even a game but multiple games and taking his uniform away is ridiculous, now we dont have our best back on the field so your hurting the team.

Steelreal
Uh, yeah. They missed the playoffs with him in 2002. So once again, you are wrong.

Ok, they missed the playoffs ONE TIME while Brady was injured partially. That excuse works for Ben, why not for Brady?

WesternPAexpatriate
12-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I am not a Tomlin fan. I think he should go. Not to mention, Todd Haley should be toast.

However, knowing the Rooneys, they hang onto people waay too long. Chuck Noll ring a bell?

Also, get a decent backup QB. Ben is always hurt and we don't play well when he's not in. Maybe he would not be played as much when hurt if we had a real backup.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, they missed the playoffs ONE TIME while Brady was injured partially. That excuse works for Ben, why not for Brady?

Well, the league likes Brady and the Patriots and doesn't like the Steelers?

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
The FG decision is moot. We got the ball back and had plenty of time to get the ball down in FG range. The pick ended that. If Ben goes down and wins the game he is a hero. When he doesnt you all deflect blame to the line, Tomlin, injuries etc.

However, when Peyton Manning or Brady do the SAME THING at end of games, they are chokers.

There are plenty of people who are blaming Ben for the interception that ended the game on this board. His pass was overthrown which resulted in the turnover. What more do you want?

Where have you seen anyone on this board call Brady or Manning a chocker? If the same thing happens to them, they aren't chockers. Mistakes happen and you can't win every game.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I am not a Tomlin fan. I think he should go. Not to mention, Todd Haley should be toast.

However, knowing the Rooneys, they hang onto people waay too long. Chuck Noll ring a bell?

Also, get a decent backup QB. Ben is always hurt and we don't play well when he's not in. Maybe he would not be played as much when hurt if we had a real backup.

1. Who would you hire to replace him?

2. Did you want Cowher fired after 3 straight non-playoff seasons and 4 non-playoff seasons out of 6, and did you think it was a bad decision for them to keep him around then?

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Now I don't even know what point you are trying to make. I think we are agreeing about how good Brady and Belichick are. But I will posit that the difference in greatness between Belichick and Tomlin is far greater than the difference between Brady and Ben. Every coach needs a really awesome QB in this league to win consistently, but I think Belichick does much more to help his QB win than our coach does for our QB. do you disagree?

WesternPAexpatriate
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
There are plenty of people who are blaming Ben for the interception that ended the game on this board. His pass was overthrown which resulted in the turnover. What more do you want?

Where have you seen anyone on this board call Brady or Manning a chocker? If the same thing happens to them, they aren't chockers. Mistakes happen and you can't win every game.

The problem was not so much the interception but the 20 pass play that followed. The defense can be blamed.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Who would you hire to replace him?

2. Did you want Cowher fired after 3 straight losing seasons and 4 losing seasons out of 6, and did you think it was a bad decision for them to keep him around then?

Frankly, I'd like Cowher back.

Cowher did not have the personnel that Tomlin has had (i.e., Ben and the receivers).

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I like Tomlin but I'm tired of all the talk with no results. He's the head coach so ultimately the responsibility of getting the team to play better comes down to him.

Shoes
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere....he need's to make corrections. Starting with himself then the team. If he does that ( and I think he will ) we will have a bright future.

X-Terminator
12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Frankly, I'd like Cowher back.

Cowher did not have the personnel that Tomlin has had (i.e., Ben and the receivers).

Well I got news for you. He's NOT coming back. Mike Tomlin is not perfect, but he is NOT...NOT...getting fired. And he should not be fired. Again, I am glad the Rooneys do not listen to the fans when it comes to coaching hires, otherwise we would turn into the Cleveland Browns in no-time flat.

It also proves once again that Steelers fans are nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats. Yeah, I said it. Bash away...I don't care. You all know I'm right.

WesternPAexpatriate
12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Well I got news for you. He's NOT coming back. Mike Tomlin is not perfect, but he is NOT...NOT...getting fired. And he should not be fired. Again, I am glad the Rooneys do not listen to the fans when it comes to coaching hires, otherwise we would turn into the Cleveland Browns in no-time flat.

It also proves once again that Steelers fans are nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats. Yeah, I said it. Bash away...I don't care. You all know I'm right.

I'm bashing. Don't like him. Want him gone.

I know the Rooneys will never fire him. But they should.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM

I agree with you.

X-Terminator
I know the Rooneys will never fire him.

And that should be the end of the discussion. All of the "bashing" in the world will not change a damn thing, so I'd suggest you deal with it, and move on.

Heinz Hitman

Word. I hate when people say.."Well, if this would have happened you would feel differently". Well, no shit I would. Fact is, it didn't happen. Tell it like it is, Hollywood!

WesternPAexpatriate
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
And that should be the end of the discussion. All of the "bashing" in the world will not change a damn thing, so I'd suggest you deal with it, and move on.

The Rooneys are in the entertainment business and fan support is important.

Even the stupid Redskin fans lost interest before RGIII.

We need a coach who is a winner.

Chidi29
And of course, everyone also wants to fire the OC.

Steelers Nation, home of the knee-jerk reaction (but every fan says it isn't and like, seriously guys, they knew it from the second the hire was made).

fansince'76
Tomlin isn't going anywhere....he need's to make corrections. Starting with himself then the team. If he does that ( and I think he will ) we will have a bright future.

This is where I'm at as well.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I should have been more clear. People take it way too serious and want everyone gone when things go wrong for every team in every sport.

I know, and your point is well taken and good to remember. I am the worst offender when it comes to emotion and losses. Nothing I say today should be taken seriously and I'm glad I'm not in charge of the Steelers right now.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I know, and your point is well taken and good to remember. I am the worst offender when it comes to emotion and losses. Nothing I say today should be taken seriously and I'm glad I'm not in charge of the Steelers right now.

You're all good. :drink:

The Bark
12-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I think I heard Tomlin say in the post-game interview that the Steelers were going to unleash hell in January.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
I think I heard Tomlin say in the post-game interview that the Steelers were going to unleash hell in January.

Yes, but "Hell" is just the name of his dog. Poor thing has been leased all year.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Funny Tomlin gets killed for UNLEASH HELL but didnt our Franchise Qb say 'ITS ON MY SHOULDERS". Funny he gets a pass after wetting the bed.

steelerdude15
12-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Funny Tomlin gets killed for UNLEASH HELL but didnt our Franchise Qb say 'ITS ON MY SHOULDERS". Funny he gets a pass after wetting the bed.

Tomlin isn't being killed for unleashing Hell. Its a something that many members here laugh about and bring it up normally as a joke.

Once again, Ben isn't getting away with anything. Have you not been reading the posts? Plenty of people are blaming Ben for the loss.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

No we realize ben made a poor play in that game but we are just not ready to trade him for kirk cousins yet.

steelreserve
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM

I don't see anyone getting so bent out of shape about football that it's interfering with their lives. There's nothing wrong with being pissed off after a loss. What would be the point of being here at all if it was just flat emotionless drivel?

Craic
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Huh. Our defense held the Bengals to 3 points all day. They couldn't run against us. They couldn't pass that well against us. They could barely move the ball against us period. So Tomlin decides to take a risk and trust our defense if the risk fails.

Let's see. The risk fails, our defense goes out there, and gets a stop. What's the problem? There's negative here. Oh, we should have punted it. For what reason? To watch another PR take the ball 90 yards for a TD? To watch our gunners get another penalty for running out of bounds? I know, I know. Field Position. Sorry. Not buying it. Going up by three is more important in a game where the defense is stifling, but the other teams punter is cranking out the punts and your blockers blocking the gunners are doing a crap job of it.

Tomlin put the trust on his Defense and took a risk. The risk didn't pay out, but it didn't hurt us at all. Playing for field position at that point in the game when their offense is inept is re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

You'd think that we gave the ball back and watched the other team march down the field and score. This wasn't the Titans game. This loss cannot be blamed on that decision. It is blamed on Ben's bad throw. That's twice in two weeks.

Craic
12-23-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't see anyone getting so bent out of shape about football that it's interfering with their lives. There's nothing wrong with being pissed off after a loss. What would be the point of being here at all if it was just flat emotionless drivel?

When did this board become a support group for emotional projectile vomiting or a group session for anger and control issues? Or, asked another way, why do you think anyone wants to read that crap? Pretty selfish in my opinion (in general-not saying you, SR, are selfish), but of course, that is fully and completely my own opinion.

tube517
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM

This

dislocatedday
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
We never really came out of the barn with any gusto this year. And some of the sqeeakers we won we actually thanks to Ben.
With this kind of season, there's enough blame to go around to everybody.

Except Heath Miller. We can leave him out of this conversation.

Add Ryan Clark to this list too. That guy played his heart out every Sunday this year, and was mentally focused.....much like Heath on offense.

Moose
12-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Huh. Our defense held the Bengals to 3 points all day. They couldn't run against us. They couldn't pass that well against us. They could barely move the ball against us period. So Tomlin decides to take a risk and trust our defense if the risk fails.

Let's see. The risk fails, our defense goes out there, and gets a stop. What's the problem? There's negative here. Oh, we should have punted it. For what reason? To watch another PR take the ball 90 yards for a TD? To watch our gunners get another penalty for running out of bounds? I know, I know. Field Position. Sorry. Not buying it. Going up by three is more important in a game where the defense is stifling, but the other teams punter is cranking out the punts and your blockers blocking the gunners are doing a crap job of it.

Tomlin put the trust on his Defense and took a risk. The risk didn't pay out, but it didn't hurt us at all. Playing for field position at that point in the game when their offense is inept is re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

You'd think that we gave the ball back and watched the other team march down the field and score. This wasn't the Titans game. This loss cannot be blamed on that decision. It is blamed on Ben's bad throw. That's twice in two weeks.

Couldn't say it any better Preach. Our defense held them all day, bungholes couldn't do anything. Ben gave them 10 pts......Merry Christmas ! They'll be done in one. Thank God this season is over.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
I would fire him .........

1-4 in his last 5 is total meltdown mode .....

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 06:20 PM

This is so true and the masses cant bring themselves to blame Ben so they deflect that blame to Tomlin. Just like in 07 when Ben sucked in 1st half vs the Jags in the playoffs. Ben throws a pick 6 to Mathis and the masses blame Tomlin because he went for 2 after the holding call. Same tactics. Its funny

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Tomlin has to improve. He has to improve his management of the game. It is not time to fire him, but it is time to tell him to step up his game.

GBMelBlount
12-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Apparently you are too busy bloviating to realize the smarter decision was arguably to go for the first down...

stillers4me
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm glad the ambassador is home

We need him. The league needs him.

steelreserve
12-23-2012, 07:29 PM
When did this board become a support group for emotional projectile vomiting or a group session for anger and control issues? Or, asked another way, why do you think anyone wants to read that crap? Pretty selfish in my opinion (in general-not saying you, SR, are selfish), but of course, that is fully and completely my own opinion.

Maybe I missed something, but I just haven't seen much of people losing their cool like that. I mean, people will argue passionately over whatever, but that's the internet for you. I think for the most part everyone's mature enough to realize that at the end of the day, it's just football.

Craic
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Apparently you are too busy bloviating to realize the smarter decision was arguably to go for the first down...

Apparently you're too busy trying to figure out the word "bloviating" to read the rest of the thread and realize that you're the only one that even referenced "going for it" and so obviously, I wasn't talking to you. Next time, maybe this'll help save time. Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 08:22 PM

I totally agree that not punting for another net of like 15 yards was the right move. But I do believe, along with some other folks here, that going for it on 4th down might have been the higher percentage play for a couple of reasons: that is very long kick at Heinz field (going the hard direction) and Suish has just flat out never done it before. He's been accurate but he doesn't have the strongest leg in the league. If we go for it and don't make it, The Bengals have worse field position than if than if we miss a kick. There was still plenty of time on the clock even if we make the kick, but a first down eats clock as well as putting us in FG range, giving us a good chance at having the last chance at winning it in regulation.

I certainly don't think Tomlin should be fired over it. If the Rooneys think that he is the best head coach possible then I defer to their judgement (not that I have a choice) but I still can't tell you what the man is good at. I sincerely don't know. All I know is what I see during the games (clock management, game time decisions, etc.) and I think everyone agrees that he isn't the best guy in the world at those things. If he is some kind of strategy wiz or something else that I don't see, I would really love to know. Again, I am not advocating firing him because I readily admit ignorance about what he does behind the scenes. Maybe he makes the best strategic decisions, runs the best practices, and prepares his team as well as humanly possible and the recent results would have happened to Belichick, Sean Peyton, Bill Parcells or any other head coach in his position. We speculate about stuff like that because it's fun, even knowing that we don't have all the facts.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2012, 08:35 PM

I don't know, I think this board is a support group of sorts, especially after a loss that ends our season, and I think it's fine for some people to use it as such since they will certainly find like minded others who might help them get through it a little easier. I understand how you feel as well, Preach, but I think you're pretty good at weeding through posts that don't particular do anything for you without getting upset or taking it personally. I definitely don't like it when posters turn on each other and start being insulting, but I think that's kept to a minimum around here.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2012, 08:42 PM
but I still can't tell you what the man is good at. I sincerely don't know. .

He is really really good at being Cliche .... beyond that you got me I have yet to figure it out

smokin3000gt
12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Momlin.

When did you turn troll?

BlastFurnace
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't know, I think this board is a support group of sorts, especially after a loss that ends our season, and I think it's fine for some people to use it as such since they will certainly find like minded others who might help them get through it a little easier. I understand how you feel as well, Preach, but I think you're pretty good at weeding through posts that don't particular do anything for you without getting upset or taking it personally. I definitely don't like it when posters turn on each other and start being insulting, but I think that's kept to a minimum around here.

Agreed. For those of us who like to complain after a loss...there is others who help each other through it all.

For the cheerleaders, there are plenty of posts to help them feel better.

zulater
12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm not going to get into a big Tomlin hate. But one thing I noticed early yesterday that somehow escaped the coaches notice until it was too late was that Rashard Mendenhall came to play. And Dwyer after the first carry from scrimmage wasn't doing too much.

If I'm calling that game and coaching that team Mendenhall would have been the primary back and would have been given at least 20 carries.

GBMelBlount
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Sorry, I thought bloviating meant an arrogant, condescending, self righteous and pompous person who talks down to others with an air of intellectually superiority even when they are wrong.

My bad. :drink:

Merry Christmas.

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Time to fire Momlin, with this talent, an awful job by this clown putting together a gigantic barf laden product on the field. The biggest waste of talent in the NFL over the past few seasons

fansince'76
12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Time to fire Momlin, with this talent, an awful job by this clown putting together a gigantic barf laden product on the field. The biggest waste of talent in the NFL over the past few seasons

I keep hearing this, but not ONCE have I heard any reasonable suggestions for a viable candidate to replace him.

43Hitman
12-24-2012, 03:48 PM

:hurt: Can't win a championship every year, and its not like there are any better candidates to run this team, unless of course you'd rather have Andy Reid or Norv Turner.

smokin3000gt
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
ERRMAGERD!!!! WE HAD A BAD YEAR!! FIRE TURMLIN!!!

/derp

Craic
12-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry, I thought bloviating meant an arrogant, condescending, self righteous and pompous person who talks down to others with an air of intellectually superiority even when they are wrong.

My bad. :drink:

Merry Christmas.

Wow, and here I thought I was sharing my opinion with other people who were at least at the same intellectual capability as me, if not higher in quite a few cases. Thanks for telling me what I really think. I would like however, to find out exactly where I was "wrong" in my post. Did I miss the fact that the other team drove and scored after we tried for the field goal? Was I wrong in that somehow, the field goal miss actually put points on the board for the other team? Or were you just over-reacting to a post that you thought was directed towards you?

On second thought, never mind, I'm just a pompous, self-righteous, arrogant person, so there's no need to soil yourself in answering someone like me.

43Hitman
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Coach Tomlin's press conference 12-24-12: http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Mike-Tomlin-Press-Conference---1224/ec1e3779-7580-4272-a0b7-8970032ba1a3

Seven
12-24-2012, 06:27 PM

:doh:

smokin3000gt
12-25-2012, 12:50 AM
:doh:

+1

DarthSpartans20
12-25-2012, 04:02 AM
I like Tomlin but I'm tired of all the talk with no results. He's the head coach so ultimately the responsibility of getting the team to play better comes down to him.

Two Super Bowl appearances in 6 years. A 65% win percentage in six years. Yeah thats no results. He averages 10 wins per season since he took over the franchise.

Steelreal
12-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Thread still open? Oh its ok to criticize Tomlin but we close threads when the truth is told about our franchise guy. Interesting.

Seven
12-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Thread still open? Oh its ok to criticize Tomlin but we close threads when the truth is told about our franchise guy. Interesting.

There were no accurate points being made in that thread.

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I thought tomlin did a poor job this season, but i also dont think he should be fired. If we come out next season like this again then we can start talking hot seat, hopefully he puts things together in the offseason

SteelerFanInStl
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Two Super Bowl appearances in 6 years. A 65% win percentage in six years. Yeah thats no results. He averages 10 wins per season since he took over the franchise.

The talk was about THIS SEASON. Don't start taking things out of context.

X-Terminator
12-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it was definitely a mistake to read through the last 2 pages of this thread. :doh2:

Seriously...this thread alone should point out for everyone to see that Steelers fans are the most spoiled and entitled group of fans in the NFL. Just fucking stop it already.

Seven
12-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Actually, if you still want to talk Ben feel free to do so in the "Big Ben 3rd Down" thread. I'm sure there are folks keeping an eye on that conversation who wouldn't mind debating with you. But the other topic was shriveling away in irrelevance.

Steelreal
12-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Actually, if you still want to talk Ben feel free to do so in the "Big Ben 3rd Down" thread. I'm sure there are folks keeping an eye on that conversation who wouldn't mind debating with you. But the other topic was shriveling away in irrelevance.

No thanks, I think everyone knows my stance on that lol I'll give the guys a break. Lets hope he lights up Cleveland and then I can do the opposite and shower him with superlatives. I'm fair. I dont post in Tomlin threads. I'd get banned $##@%%#@

Craic
12-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, it was definitely a mistake to read through the last 2 pages of this thread. :doh2:

Seriously...this thread alone should point out for everyone to see that Steelers fans are the most spoiled and entitled group of fans in the NFL. Just fucking stop it already.

:chuckle: there's nothing else you can do but laugh.

st33lersguy
12-25-2012, 09:43 PM
It would help if Tomlin actually had the guts to bench some underperforming starters until they proved themselves worthy of starting in practice. Woodley, Wallace, Hood, Hampton all held unaccountable for long stretches of lethargy and half-assed football play