PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Defense

GBMelBlount
12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
A lot of people have complained about the lack of splash plays...I get it and I understand....

But I gotta say for them to be #1 in total defense, #1 against the pass and #4 against the run is impressive, regardless.

They have played tough week in and week out despite all of the injuries...and it sad to me to see the offense squander so many opportunites....including Ben

Hindes204
12-23-2012, 01:13 PM
They're playing great today, wish I could say the same about the offense

Psycho Ward 86
LOL yeah right. this is the exact same defense as last year: little to no sacks and turnovers, especially when you need them

Count Steeler
A lot of people have complained about the lack of splash plays...I get it and I understand....

But I gotta say for them to be #1 in total defense, #1 against the pass and #4 against the run is impressive, regardless.

They have played tough week in and week out despite all of the injuries...and it sad to me to see the offense squander so many opportunites....including Ben

To me, it is even MORE impressive to be #1 without the splash plays. Cause that means they are making the stops on the field.

zulater
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Troy's playing good so far.

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Agreed, this is Troy's best game of the year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 01:31 PM
To me, it is even MORE impressive to be #1 without the splash plays. Cause that means they are making the stops on the field.

then imo , youve fallen under the fallacy that the defense can keep limiting yardage without pressure or turnovers and be successful.

false. every single time. at least if the offense keeps playing scattershot. hope they get it together

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 01:37 PM
then imo , youve fallen under the fallacy that the defense can keep limiting yardage without pressure or turnovers and be successful.

false. every single time. at least if the offense keeps playing scattershot. hope they get it together

Well, how else do you explain them being better in yardage given up than ANY other defense in the league. That IS successful. They are also up there is points allowed.
Sure the splash would be nice, but they are getting off the field, and that is most important.

Hindes204
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
LOL yeah right. this is the exact same defense as last year: little to no sacks and turnovers, especially when you need them

You were saying...

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 02:04 PM
You were saying...

i was saying this is a clone of last year's defense: little to no sacks, few turnovers. Oh we made some sacks and one interception today? For the 1st time in 114 pass attempts? But what are we doing with them? This team so far doesnt have a killer instinct when that happens. 3rd and 14 after a huge sack? let's give them an easy 1st down. its happened so many times. What few sacks we've gotten have been for naught because we usually seem to allow another 1st down right afterwards. Same with the turnovers. Im curious to see how many points we have off of turnovers because we've played like scattershots after so many of our turnovers. its puzzling because we used to play off of that energy

zulater
12-23-2012, 02:11 PM
The defense has played great so far. But all the same can anyone explain why Victorian is covering A.J. Green on 4th and 22?

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Allen is looking great

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Smart play to grab by Allen. He was toast

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
if only if we actually did something with the turnovers

zulater
12-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Keisel’s celebration penalty

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-suisham-isn-t-perfect-either/article_a94e7a34-b4bc-5b89-bcc4-1756efc13dc6.html

The Steelers were in an uproar after DE Brett Keisel was flagged for a celebration penalty in the first quarter. After he sacked QB Andy Dalton, Keisel went down on one knee and pretended to shoot a bow and arrow. Former NFL officiating czar Mike Pereira wrote on Twitter that Keisel was likely penalized not just for dropping to his knee in the celebration, but also for miming shooting a weapon, and suggested that Keisel will likely face a fine. Pereira added that there is an exception for celebration penalties when the player goes to the ground in prayer, such as Tim Tebow’s widely imitated gesture.

Wow! Talk about PC being out of control! :doh:

Seven
12-25-2012, 09:07 AM

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-suisham-isn-t-perfect-either/article_a94e7a34-b4bc-5b89-bcc4-1756efc13dc6.html

The Steelers were in an uproar after DE Brett Keisel was flagged for a celebration penalty in the first quarter. After he sacked QB Andy Dalton, Keisel went down on one knee and pretended to shoot a bow and arrow. Former NFL officiating czar Mike Pereira wrote on Twitter that Keisel was likely penalized not just for dropping to his knee in the celebration, but also for miming shooting a weapon, and suggested that Keisel will likely face a fine. Pereira added that there is an exception for celebration penalties when the player goes to the ground in prayer, such as Tim Tebow’s widely imitated gesture.

What the FUCK is happening to this country.

ALLD
12-25-2012, 09:10 AM
There is not much a number one rated defense can do when the offense keeps turning the ball over. Until they fix the OL permanently and bring discipline to execution, we will continue down the same path.

Edman
12-25-2012, 09:48 AM
The Defense woke up from it's slumber and did the best it could.

There is only so much a good Defense can do with a terrible offense.

zulater
12-25-2012, 09:55 AM
The Defense woke up from it's slumber and did the best it could.

There is only so much a good Defense can do with a terrible offense.

I agree. But as Ryan clark has pointed out if the defense would have been this sharp against the Raiders and Titans earlair this season then the Steelers wouldn't have been facing playoff elimination last Sunday.

7-8 truly is a team derserved record.

steeldawg
12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
defense is solid i think we just lack pass rush, an improved pass rush will lead to more splash plays.

st33lersguy
12-25-2012, 11:10 AM
The defense is reason we didn't start 4-1 in the first place, looking silly against crappy Carson Palmer and Over-the-hill Matt Hasselbeck. Then they played like absolute trash against a bad Chargers offense and bad Phillip Rivers. Sacks and turnovers have been a rarity, and the defense crumbled in a critical 2-game stretch against San Diego and Dallas. This defense did not step up and make plays at critical times. It's not enough to not give up yardage, yardage alone cannot define a unit. Every week, there are at least 6 or 7 teams that get outgained in yards, sometimes badly and still win. Turnovers and sacks are the most important element in a winning defense and they did not do that. Had they forced more turnovers at critical times, they would have won more games. Besides, I've watched the run defense, I saw plenty of teams gash Pittsburgh on the ground for 4 yards or more per carry. I don't know how the run D is #4 but they certainly don't deserve to be

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
you all forget how much the defense failed at the beginning of the year against the broncos, raiders, and titans. the problem with this team isnt the offense, defense, or special teams. the problem is that they no longer feed off of each other like they used to and never play well in the same games

- - - Updated - - -

i dont get it, why did he get penalized JUST this time after doing it a million times already? including this year? was there a new rule implemented in the middle of the season or does the nfl just suck at enforcing its own rules as usual?

zulater
12-25-2012, 11:52 PM
• With Keenan Lewis not 100 percent, the onus of following A.J. Green around the field fell to Cortez Allen. Despite Green catching 10 passes for 116 yards, Allen more than held his own. Green was involved in 63 plays and Allen lined up across from him 43 times, allowing six catches for 60 yards while picking off a pair of passes. When the Steelers went to the nickel, either Curtis Brown or Josh Victorian covered Green. Despite Allen‘s success, the Steelers switched up coverages late in the game. Lewis covered Green on four of Cincinnati‘s final six plays, including allowing Green‘s 21-yard reception with eight seconds left to set up the game-winning field goal. Lewis had covered Green four other times over the previous 57 plays.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188450-74/woodley-game-roethlisberger#ixzz2G8NBaeTm
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this. But on the surface this is one of those things that leaves you wondering if the coaches don't lose focus of what's happening on the field? :frusty:

Seven
12-26-2012, 12:05 AM
• With Keenan Lewis not 100 percent, the onus of following A.J. Green around the field fell to Cortez Allen. Despite Green catching 10 passes for 116 yards, Allen more than held his own. Green was involved in 63 plays and Allen lined up across from him 43 times, allowing six catches for 60 yards while picking off a pair of passes. When the Steelers went to the nickel, either Curtis Brown or Josh Victorian covered Green. Despite Allen‘s success, the Steelers switched up coverages late in the game. Lewis covered Green on four of Cincinnati‘s final six plays, including allowing Green‘s 21-yard reception with eight seconds left to set up the game-winning field goal. Lewis had covered Green four other times over the previous 57 plays.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188450-74/woodley-game-roethlisberger#ixzz2G8NBaeTm
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this. But on the surface this is one of those things that leaves you wondering if the coaches don't lose focus of what's happening on the field? :frusty:

I dunno, putting Lewis on him doesn't bother me that much. I see where you are coming from, though. The bigger question I have is what the hell was Josh Victorian doing on Green at all? I believe he was covering him on that fourth down attempt. I was terrified.

zulater
12-26-2012, 12:07 AM
I dunno, putting Lewis on him doesn't bother me that much. I see where you are coming from, though. The bigger question I have is what the hell was Josh Victorian doing on Green at all? I believe he was covering him on that fourth down attempt. I was terrified.
If Lewis is healthy that makes perfect sense. But by all accounts he wasn't.

DarthSpartans20
12-26-2012, 01:12 AM
If Lewis is healthy that makes perfect sense. But by all accounts he wasn't.

What gave you that impression?

GBMelBlount
12-26-2012, 06:58 AM

That is exactly how I feel too Count. Imagine if we had a pass rush.

Psycho Ward 86
You all forget how much the defense failed at the beginning of the year against the broncos, raiders, and titans. the problem with this team isnt the offense, defense, or special teams. the problem is that they no longer feed off of each other like they used to and never play well in the same games

This is a great point.

This also happened the beginning of last year when we were clobbered by the Ravens.

It seems like the defense is somehow able turn it around every year.

Count Steeler
12-26-2012, 07:02 AM
That is exactly how I feel too Count. Imagine if we had a pass rush.

We can only hope. We have had 2 down years in turnovers and pass rush/disturbing the QB. We have a lot of needs to be addressed in the next draft.