PDA

View Full Version : Prisco: Polamalu Not Playing Well

SteelerEmpire
12-22-2012, 01:06 PM
PITTSBURGH (KDKA 93-7 THE FAN) — Bob Pompeani visited with CBSSports.com NFL columnist Pete Prisco before the Bengals game.

Prisco told Pompeani that Troy Polamalu is not playing well right now, and appears heavy and slow.

LINK: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/22/prisco-polamalu-not-playing-well/

Seven
12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Heard it live. Prisco isn't a great football mind so I don't put much stock into anything he says. Troy does look slower than usual, he's not in game shape yet if you ask me. Don't know where the "heavy" comment comes from.

Chidi29
12-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I think part of it comes from the injuries and having to change Troy's role. Rewatching the Cowboys game, there were numerous times he was acting as the nickelback and couldn't be put in open space and let him make a play like he can at safety.

polamalubeast
12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Agree that this is not a good year...Maybe his last season in Pittsburgh....

zulater
12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
That he only is able to practice one day a week lends credence to the thought he isn't even remotely close to being fully healthy. And if they have to limit the amount of running he can do that could also lead to him being over his normal playing weight.

I've been saying this since game one against Denver. Troy is no longer is a big time player. In fact I'd go so far as to say we're better when Will allen is playing.

But not Mundy.

Chidi29
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
That he only is able to practice one day a week lends credence to the thought he isn't even remotely close to being fully healthy. And if they have to limit the amount of running he can do that could also lead to him being over his normal playing weight.

I've been saying this since game one against Denver. Troy is no longer is a big time player. In fact I'd go so far as to say we're better when Will allen is playing.

But not Mundy.

No way. Troy obviously isn't as good as he's been but he's still arguably the most dynamic player on the team. And now he's having his role changed to compensate for the injuries. Will Allen is definitely not the better option.

Moose
12-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I've also been saying that Troy has slowed and isn't himself anymore. Age, injury and his style of playing has taken the toll. He can no longer play his style of flying all over the field and his style of tackling. I would go as far and say I think the team should start looking of a replacement. Just as they did Ward, I look for the team to work him out of playing. You can't pay his paycheck and only get 4 or 5 games out of him, and then those 4/5 games are only mediocre. Sorry, Chidi29, but I definitely don't agree with your statement of him being the most dynamic player on the team...in fact far from it. I love Troy and his 'used to be' style of play, but I think his time has come, as did Ward's.

BlastFurnace
12-22-2012, 04:26 PM
He's no longer a dynamic player on defense because of all of the toll taken on his body.

Sadly, even if he comes back next year, I don't even let him play in the preseason. He practices, but sits out every game until the regular season. If he's going to get hurt, I'd rather it be 4 or 5 games into the regular season.

I hate it as much as all of you, but the end is nearing quickly for Troy.

vtw8lftr
12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I think everyone is jumping the gun on Polamalu's demise... his instincts are second to none... so he may be suffering physically from both injuries and age but he is an intelligent player and will redesign his game to maximize his potential. Right now he has been hurt and is not in playing shape due to those injuries... but those injuries are a product of his reckless style of play... if he modifies his style but still has that incredible instinct he will continue to perform... but I agree not for what he is making currently.

Steelreal
12-22-2012, 11:21 PM

But not Mundy.

Get off the meds

zulater
12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Get off the meds

I don't do drugs.

zulater
12-22-2012, 11:49 PM
No way. Troy obviously isn't as good as he's been but he's still arguably the most dynamic player on the team. And now he's having his role changed to compensate for the injuries. Will Allen is definitely not the better option.

If he's dynamic where are the dynamic plays? I see Ryan Clark making dynamic plays, Lawrence Timmons probably leads the defense in splash plays this year. Keisel's made a few, James Harrison has had some to his credit this season as well. But Troy? I can't think of any notable plays he's made on defense all season? All I've noticed is he usually shows up in the picture a second after the whistle blows.

Look I don't get the all 22 view from game rewind so maybe I'm missing something? Maybe he's influencing some plays away from his side by his placement on the field?

But regardless I just don't see him making any plays.

I hope that changes these last two games. Because quite honestly I saw Will Allen sticking his head in the pile while the runner was still alive and getting over and defending passes in the time he was in way more often than I've seen Troy influence anything for this defense this season.

zulater
12-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Will Allen has 34 tackles, is credited with 3 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Troy, 23 tackles, 0 passes defensed, 0 tackles for loss, o sacks, 0 forced fumbles, just zero's across the board.

And I'd wager that Allen hasn't played many more snaps than Troy because Mundy was the starter for the first month of the season.

So Chidi, how can someone be "the most dynamic player on the team" and not have so much as one splash play to his credit on the season?

I love Troy. If he doesn't play another down he should be a first ballot Hall of Famer in my opinion. But he's not helping this team with the way he's played so far this season. And yes I'll say it again, we're probably better off with Will Allen in there. Or did you forget how well Allen played against the Redskins and the Giants?

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 12:31 AM
If he's dynamic where are the dynamic plays? I see Ryan Clark making dynamic plays, Lawrence Timmons probably leads the defense in splash plays this year. Keisel's made a few, James Harrison has had some to his credit this season as well. But Troy? I can't think of any notable plays he's made on defense all season? All I've noticed is he usually shows up in the picture a second after the whistle blows.

Look I don't get the all 22 view from game rewind so maybe I'm missing something? Maybe he's influencing some plays away from his side by his placement on the field?

But regardless I just don't see him making any plays.

I hope that changes these last two games. Because quite honestly I saw Will Allen sticking his head in the pile while the runner was still alive and getting over and defending passes in the time he was in way more often than I've seen Troy influence anything for this defense this season.

When I say dynamic, I don't always mean, "right now the best player on the field" (though he's still better than Will Allen no mater how you slice it). But when you talk about a guy that could change the course of a game on any given play, it's still Troy IMO. That's dynamic.

I've talked about in the past I think the fact that offenses don't know where he's going to line up makes it very difficult on quarterbacks and receivers in terms of the coverages you are expecting off the snap (usually the first thing an QB checks are how the safties are aligned and when Troy is all over the place, it's hard to figure out and get everyone on the same page).There's a lot of value to that that can't be quantified.

And you still see some dynamic plays, too. Example being a tackle on Miles Austin last week where he covered 5-8 yards in about a second to make a tackle when he was covering another receiver

Allen is a hit/miss tackler and a major liability in coverage. I'm glad he's out of the lineup.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I should point out that I did not rewatch weeks 12-13.

zulater
12-23-2012, 12:59 AM
When I say dynamic, I don't always mean, "right now the best player on the field" (though he's still better than Will Allen no mater how you slice it). But when you talk about a guy that could change the course of a game on any given play, it's still Troy IMO. That's dynamic.

I've talked about in the past I think the fact that offenses don't know where he's going to line up makes it very difficult on quarterbacks and receivers in terms of the coverages you are expecting off the snap (usually the first thing an QB checks are how the safties are aligned and when Troy is all over the place, it's hard to figure out and get everyone on the same page).There's a lot of value to that that can't be quantified.

And you still see some dynamic plays, too. Example being a tackle on Miles Austin last week where he covered 5-8 yards in about a second to make a tackle when he was covering another receiver

Allen is a hit/miss tackler and a major liability in coverage. I'm glad he's out of the lineup.

Yet he started and played extensively during the Steelers 4 game win streak. Far and away the best football the Steelers played all year, and Allen was a"major liability"

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Yet he started and played extensively during the Steelers 4 game win streak. Far and away the best football the Steelers played all year, and Allen was a"major liability"

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Doesn't mean that individually he played well. And it isn't like Troy was benched in favor of Allen. He replaced Mundy which really isn't saying a whole lot.

zulater
12-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Doesn't mean that individually he played well. And it isn't like Troy was benched in favor of Allen. He replaced Mundy which really isn't saying a whole lot.

Collectively the Steelers played well on defense when Allen was playing the majority of the snaps at that position. Not opinion, that's fact. If you want to completely dismiss his contribution you need to come back with something more than conjecture and show how he was in fact such a liability, when in fact the defesnje as a whole perfromed best this season over an extended period when he was doing most of the playing.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Troy is simply not getting to the plays like he used to be able to. He doesn't have his old speed because of the calf injury. That's pretty clear to me.

zulater
12-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Troy is simply not getting to the plays like he used to be able to. He doesn't have his old speed because of the calf injury. That's pretty clear to me.

I would have thought that was evident to everyone. But apparently it's not.

polamalubeast
12-23-2012, 09:53 AM

yeah and this is very sad

katmandu
12-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Yea, Troy is done isn't he ? :crazy:

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Exactly

zulater
12-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Yea, Troy is done isn't he ? :crazy:

Glad he showed up today. It's a shame he wasn't able to play at this level earliar this season.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Glad he showed up today. It's a shame he wasn't able to play at this level earliar this season.

Because he's been hurt all year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Man, so many players picked the right game to play their ABSOLUTE BEST (troy, hampton, cortez allen, timmons), and its just so sad to see those efforts go down the drain. at least we know this team tried. so disappointing, but proud of the way this defense fought

zulater
12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Because he's been hurt all year.

I get that. But do you really expect him to be healthy and play at an impactfull level for most of next season? He occupies a helluva lot of cap space to show up and play one great game in a season.

And just because he played great today doesn't make us wrong for saying he contributed next to nothing through 14 games.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I get that. But do you really expect him to be healthy and play at an impactfull level for most of next season? He occupies a helluva lot of cap space to show up and play one great game in a season.

And just because he played great today doesn't make us wrong for saying he contributed next to nothing through 14 games.

No, but I know that when he's healthy, he's dynamic. And even when he's not 100%, when he's simply out there, he creates another headache for an already-stout defense.

stillers4me
12-23-2012, 06:52 PM
It was a sheer joy to watch Troy be Troy again.

zulater
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
It was a sheer joy to watch Troy be Troy again.

It was no question.

But now what do you do next year? That's a lot of cap hit for a guy who had one great game on the season.

Craic
12-23-2012, 07:04 PM
No, but I know that when he's healthy, he's dynamic. And even when he's not 100%, when he's simply out there, he creates another headache for an already-stout defense.Disagree. When he's out there and he's injured. He's having to fight against his instincts in order to be a good player, because he can't go do what his instincts are telling him to do. He has to stay at home more. That hurts him as evident in the SB 10 game. Teams don't game plan around an injured Troy P. They try to take advantage of an injured Troy P. That's not a headache, that's a godsend, and why I don't understand why we have him playing if he's injured.

Let's see, in order of your thoughts. . . .

No.

You're absolutely right.

You're dead on right.

Let me ask, does anyone here think that Troy's worth to be paid what, 3-4 million a game? Because I think that's about what it averaged out to this year so far.

Chidi29
12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Disagree. When he's out there and he's injured. He's having to fight against his instincts in order to be a good player, because he can't go do what his instincts are telling him to do. He has to stay at home more. That hurts him as evident in the SB 10 game. Teams don't game plan around an injured Troy P. They try to take advantage of an injured Troy P. That's not a headache, that's a godsend, and why I don't understand why we have him playing if he's injured.

Let's see, in order of your thoughts. . . .

No.

You're absolutely right.

You're dead on right.

Let me ask, does anyone here think that Troy's worth to be paid what, 3-4 million a game? Because I think that's about what it averaged out to this year so far.

But with him roaming like he does pre-snap, he puts a huge burden on opposing offenses because you don't know where he's going to end up. At worst, he's still much better than Will Allen.

I know he didn't force turnovers the games he played this year, but one big reason why our INT (and TO) amount was so low this year is having Troy out. Our cornerbacks aren't the ballhawks. Clark really isn't a ballhawk. He'd rather go for the big hit than look for the INT (only one season with us where he had more than 2 INTs). That's Troy's role. And having him out means you lose a lot of those splash plays.