PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall to Start?

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Apparently, Rashard Mendenhall might start this Sunday. No link, simply a rumor out of practice today.

If that occurs, I will lose a lot of respect for a coaching staff that I've otherwise had a lot of respect for. There is no reason Mendenhall should see that field. He might be the most talented back on the roster, but the guy is a nutcase, ignorant and does not care what happens to this team.

In response to coach Mike Tomlin’s explanation that Mendenhall was simply frustrated when he decided not to show up for a game in which he was told he wouldn’t dress, Mendenhall disagrees.

"I wouldn't use that word" Mendenhall said, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “There’s a lot of thought that goes into everything that I do.”

He's checked out. He abandoned his team and admitted "a lot of thought" went into it. He was benched for fumbling twice on four carries and pouting afterwards and despite his "sit down" with Tomlin is still acting like a child. Forget the on-field debate, even if he is the best option from a pure physical standpoint, how can we trust this guy in these must win games? I certainly don't.

He's already stated he wants a change of scenery. He is defiant to the point of arrogance. And he might be rewarded with a start? I have to believe Coach Tomlin will not make that mistake. I sure as hell hope I'm right.

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:28 PM
But given all that, if the rumor is true, Tomlin is still strongly considering making him the starter.

Which says he realizes he is the most talented back on the roster and the running game needs a shot in the arm to get going...and try to keep the team's playoff hopes alive.

- - - Updated - - -

And I still strongly believe Dwyer is nothing special. He has been impressive relatively speaking since many figured he was going to be cut, but he is not that talented of a back. Serviceable at best, marginal at worst.

zulater
12-20-2012, 09:29 PM
If Redman is healthy I think he should get the majority of the carries.

But if they start Mendenhall hopefully he'll prove it to be a wise decision.

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
But given all that, if the rumor is true, Tomlin is still strongly considering making him the starter.

Which says he realizes he is the most talented back on the roster and the running game needs a shot in the arm to get going...and try to keep the team's playoff hopes alive.

- - - Updated - - -

And I still strongly believe Dwyer is nothing special. He has been impressive relatively speaking since many figured he was going to be cut, but he is not that talented of a back. Serviceable at best, marginal at worst.

I would rather play an average Dwyer over Mendenhall at his best right now. It's pretty well known his teammates lost respect for him after his day off a couple weeks ago, it's pretty clear he doesn't care about this team, it's pretty clear he's prone to fumble at inopportune times - and the weather is going to bad by all reports.

I understand his potential is tempting, but if a guy doesn't care, he doesn't deserve to play. He quit on the team. You can't defend that. Putting him on the field is a mistake.

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I would rather play an average Dwyer over Mendenhall at his best right now. It's pretty well known his teammates lost respect for him after his day off a couple weeks ago, it's pretty clear he doesn't care about this team, it's pretty clear he's prone to fumble at inopportune times - and the weather is going to bad by all reports.

I understand his potential is tempting, but if a guy doesn't care, he doesn't deserve to play. He quit on the team. You can't defend that. Putting him on the field is a mistake.

But if he's the best option to help your team win, you do it.

Plus, and I hate falling back on the "coaches know more" argument, but who knows what has been talked about between Tomlin and Mendenhall behind closed doors. We really don't have a lot of information to draw a conclusion.

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
But if he's the best option to help your team win, you do it.

Plus, and I hate falling back on the "coaches know more" argument, but who knows what has been talked about between Tomlin and Mendenhall behind closed doors. We really don't have a lot of information to draw a conclusion.

I could buy that if Mendenhall hadn't flat out said publicly that his decision not to attend the game was premeditated. And he said that after he met with Tomlin.

As far as him giving the team the best chance to win, if it was a clear cut advantage (say Adrian Peterson vs. Matt Asiata) I could see your point. But Mendenhall just isn't that much better than Redman and Dwyer. Even for argument sake if I agree Mendenhall offers slightly more on the field, what is that worth when a guy doesn't care? I'd rather have Redman giving his all.

st33lersguy
12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
It has become next to impossible to predict who starts at RB for the Steelers. Frankly all 3 of them are equally mediocre and inconsistent

43Hitman
12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
It has become next to impossible to predict who starts at RB for the Steelers. Frankly all 3 of them are equally mediocre and inconsistent

Agreed. Good post.

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM

But shouldn't a player who quit on his team be unquestionably ruled out? Particularly when you have guys on this roster who have outperformed him? If you measure a player simply by his potential Limas Sweed would be a starter on this team.

katmandu
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
He was benched for fumbling twice on four carries and pouting afterwards .I don't care how talented he is. He's a liability with a seriously bad habit of carrying (and swinging) the ball like a loaf a bread!

It's way too late in the game to hold out hopes that he will change this bad habit.

He needs to go IMHO.

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:50 PM
I could buy that if Mendenhall hadn't flat out said publicly that his decision not to attend the game was premeditated. And he said that after he met with Tomlin.

As far as him giving the team the best chance to win, if it was a clear cut advantage (say Adrian Peterson vs. Matt Asiata) I could see your point. But Mendenhall just isn't that much better than Redman and Dwyer. Even for argument sake if I agree Mendenhall offers slightly more on the field, what is that worth when a guy doesn't care? I'd rather have Redman giving his all.

But again, Mendenhall must have said something to Tomlin to change his mind, no?

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
It all comes down to trust because none of them have been consistent , I do not trust mendy to have his head in the game , in fact I would not put it past him to deliberately fumble , I would hope he would not do such a thing but I am not convinced he won't out of spite

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:55 PM
But again, Mendenhall must have said something to Tomlin to change his mind, no?

I'm not so sure. I think Tomlin might just be seduced by Mendenhall's talent. Which, I admit, is tempting. But judging by his recent statements to the media, I don't see why you'd assume he's told coach Tomlin anything that suggests he has any genuine interest in supporting this team - beyond just lipservice. Why would he say that privately and act like an arrogant non-conformist publicly afterwards?

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm not so sure. I think Tomlin might just be seduced by Mendenhall's talent. Which, I admit, is tempting. But judging by his recent statements to the media, I don't see why you'd assume he's told coach Tomlin anything that suggests he has any genuine interest in supporting this team - beyond just lipservice. Why would he say that privately and act like an arrogant non-conformist publicly afterwards?

I don't have those answers. I'm just saying if the report is true, Tomlin has obviously changed his stance. And there must be some reason for that.

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
It all comes down to trust because none of them have been consistent , I do not trust mendy to have his head in the game , in fact I would not put it past him to deliberately fumble , I would hope he would not do such a thing but I am not convinced he won't out of spite

I truly hate to say it but the thought has crossed my mind, too. I have a hard time believing he would, but if you don't care about the outcome of the game and already have a reputation as a fumbler, why not? It's not like it's going to kill you in free agency. And it would be one hell of a way to get back at this city that you apparently hate so much.

salamander
12-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm for whatever helps us win on Sunday

ShoeHorn
12-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I definitely don't trust mendenhall now and haven't since his momentum killing fumble cost us (IMO) the super bowl against the packers.

steelreserve
12-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't really care what his attitude is as long as he can do something to help us win these next two games. Worry about that after the season and tell him to GTFO if that's truly what's going on. In the meantime, you'd be foolish not to get every last bit you could out of him.

steeldawg
12-21-2012, 05:46 AM
I think it has alot to do with haley and ben, im sure they probably went to tomlin and said hey we could really use this guy right now. I do not think mendy quit on this team, I think he felt like tomlin quit on him. We forget that he fought hard to recover from a major injury to get back on the field early, you dont do that if you dont care. Also our running game sucks right now if you got a guy on the sideline who could instantly improve the running game with the playoffs on the line, you play him. You are not helping the team by keeping him on the sidelines.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2012, 06:14 AM
If they start Mendy I hope they don't wait 3 or 4 quarters to rotate if he is not performing.

He IS exceptionally talented but the ypc does not bare out exceptional performance the last few years.

When your offensive line sucks YAC is important and that is twinkle toes achilles imo.

Hindes204
12-21-2012, 06:20 AM
I don't really care what his attitude is as long as he can do something to help us win these next two games. Worry about that after the season and tell him to GTFO if that's truly what's going on. In the meantime, you'd be foolish not to get every last bit you could out of him.My thoughts exactly. I still believe he is the most talented back on the team...get everything you can out of him now and worry about the rest in the offseason. I'm in favor of anything they helps us win the next two games, the drama can wait until the season is over

The Bark
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Here's my thoughts:

Mendenhall fumbled the ball twice, but Tomlin has fumbled the situation from the get go - and that is more problematic than simply holding onto the rock.

When Mendenhall returned from his injury, he appeared to be serviceable, gaining 5.2 yards per carry in his first game back against Philly. I don't recall if he left the game early against Tennessee as he only had 6 yards on 6 carries, then missed the next several weeks with another injury.

Upon returning against Baltimore, he carried for an average of 3 yards on 11 attempts - not great, but Dwyer was performing better.

Then the Cleveland debacle.

I'm not going to defend his performance in that game, but Tomlin gave up on him right then and there and that, as a coach, is probably the worst thing one can do considering the issues with the running game all year and more importantly, as a head coach, you're not treating all of your players consistently.

Where's the consistency of discipline on the offensive line when Willie Colon continually gets false starts?

Where's the consistency of discipline at wide receiver when Wallace and Brown continually drop passes? Oh - well, we'll just make Wallace a co-starter?

Mendenhall was, without doubt, handled differently - whether it was merely for fumbling the ball twice or if there were other issues at play may never be known. I don't condone Mendenhall's action for missing the game when he learned he would be inactive, but he, as Tomlin would say, is a young man and it's up to the coach to ACT the ROLE of a MENTOR and HAVE the discussion MAN TO MAN with his player(s).

There's nothing wrong with holding players accountable and suspending Mendenhall was warranted, but Tomlin really needs to look in the mirror and realize how he himself has contributed to the problem. My respect for him as a coach has diminished more and more each year as I've grown tired of his sound bites.

This is the same coach who promised to make changes in years past... and didn't... to the detriment of his team. For whatever reason now, he's decided to make a change - but in doing so, he's probably committed one of the fundamental sins of coaching: not being consistent with your personnel and failing to hold everyone equably accountable.

If he should make an attempt to start Mendenhall this weekend, I believe, at this point, it may further call into question his coaching abilities. On one hand, it calls into question his decision-making regarding the running back carousal to begin with. On the other, he may realize Mendenhall is primed to go out and have a huge game in an effort to prove himself.

Either way, both player and coach have failed to handle whatever the situation was appropriately, but in the end, you have to hold the coach to a higher moral standing than you do the player because the coach is supposed to provide leadership and direction. Again, I want to stress I don't condone Mendenhall's actions - but I do believe Tomlin, as I said previously, needs to take a good look and ask himself how he may have contributed to the mess to begin.

If the team truly has lost faith in Mendenhall, then I see that as a direct reflection of Tomlin's actions repeatedly fumbling the running back situation - not Mendenhall's two fumbles which would play a contributing factor.

ALLD
12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
If Mendenhall plays, will he fumble? That is the question.

XxKnightxX
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Yes

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

43Hitman
12-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

no the question is will he not suck?

GBMelBlount
12-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Does a bear shit in the woods?

In case anyone did not know the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6AaL31jss

43Hitman
12-21-2012, 02:55 PM
In case anyone did not know the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6AaL31jss

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ALLD
12-21-2012, 03:12 PM
You can always pull him if he sucks, but if he fumbles the game away then you started the wrong RB.

st33lersguy
12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
But shouldn't a player who quit on his team be unquestionably ruled out? Particularly when you have guys on this roster who have outperformed him? If you measure a player simply by his potential Limas Sweed would be a starter on this team.

Yeah, you have a good point, playing a big game, you don't want someone who appears to have quit. Frankly, I think he should have remained suspended and I am worried that Tomlin has too loose a leash on all his players.

The Bark
12-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm not buying the fumbling bit - there's got to be other issues going on behind the scenes. He's got 9 career total fumbles in a little over three full seasons, three this year in limited action. Adrian Peterson had 20 his first three years in the league.

EVERY running back who played deserved to be inactive after the Cleveland game based on their performance. I'm more concerned about Tomlin fumbling his coaching duties more than Mendenhall fumbling the ball at this point.

43Hitman
12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not buying the fumbling bit - there's got to be other issues going on behind the scenes. He's got 9 career total fumbles in a little over three full seasons, three this year in limited action. Adrian Peterson had 20 his first three years in the league.

EVERY running back who played deserved to be inactive after the Cleveland game based on their performance. I'm more concerned about Tomlin fumbling his coaching duties more than Mendenhall fumbling the ball at this point.

True, but Mendenhall is no where even close to AP's talent level. Therefore it makes it a lot harder as a fan to be patient with a guy like Mendy.

Seven
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM

It isn't the amount of fumbles I'm worried about, it's his tendency to fumble in big moments. By the numbers he really isn't that bad, but every one of us knows when the pressure is on he has coughed it up in the past.

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
It isn't the amount of fumbles I'm worried about, it's his tendency to fumble in big moments. By the numbers he really isn't that bad, but every one of us knows when the pressure is on he has coughed it up in the past.

just the superbowl. when else has he coughed it up "under pressure?"

that fumble was just a great hit by matthews

steel striker
12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I still think Mendy is our best back and, I know he has issues. It's time for him to shine beacuse, this is his last season here in the steel city. Unless a of some miracle.

fansince'76
12-21-2012, 09:41 PM

And it was more David Johnson's fault than Mendenhall's. Nice whiff, D.

Seven
12-22-2012, 07:45 AM

-Rookie season he continually gave the ball up in the preseason. After attention was given to the problem, it should have stopped - but it didn't. Pressure not to fumble resulted in fumbles.

-In the Super Bowl he fumbled. Big stage pressure resulted in a fumble. There is no reason he shouldn't have held onto that ball. Matthews wasn't blocked but was clearly in Mendenhall's line of sight.

-At Cleveland, he fumbled and was benched. Next time he saw the field he fumbled. Adversity resulted in a second fumble.

Every time this guy gets jitters he fumbles. Why would you trust him, after he quit on the team and was suspended, not to do it again. Particularly when Redman and Dwyer have both had better games this season than he has. You have two guys capable of giving you almost as much as Mendenhall, and more in certain situations. If this was Adrian Peterson, I would understand. But the difference in talent isn't that much to reward a guy who quit on his team with a start.

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
-In the Super Bowl he fumbled. Big stage pressure resulted in a fumble. There is no reason he shouldn't have held onto that ball. Matthews wasn't blocked but was clearly in Mendenhall's line of sight.

Every time this guy gets jitters he fumbles. Why would you trust him, after he quit on the team and was suspended, not to do it again. Particularly when Redman and Dwyer have both had better games this season than he has. You have two guys capable of giving you almost as much as Mendenhall, and more in certain situations. If this was Adrian Peterson, I would understand. But the difference in talent isn't that much to reward a guy who quit on his team with a start.

so basically he only fumbled under pressure in the superbowl. the preseason means close to nothing except for those trying to make the roster. cleveland was an important game, but not a must win game. san diego was an important game, but not a must win game. dallas was an important game, but not a must win game. so im not sure what your definition is of "under pressure," but must win situations are obvious pressure situations.

and i never said i trust mendenhall. im not even defending him, i just think the fumbling thing is overplayed. again, give credit to matthews inside of blaming mendenhall. great player that made a great play.

Seven
12-22-2012, 08:56 AM
so basically he only fumbled under pressure in the superbowl. the preseason means close to nothing except for those trying to make the roster. cleveland was an important game, but not a must win game. san diego was an important game, but not a must win game. dallas was an important game, but not a must win game. so im not sure what your definition is of "under pressure," but must win situations are obvious pressure situations.

and i never said i trust mendenhall. im not even defending him, i just think the fumbling thing is overplayed. again, give credit to matthews inside of blaming mendenhall. great player that made a great play.

Everything you said here (and everything I said in my prior post) is a matter of opinion, not fact, so I see no reason to continue a discussion about it.

But my belief that it would be silly to give a guy who quit on the team playing time - when he is not head and shoulders better than his peers - remains.

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Everything you said here (and everything I said in my prior post) is a matter of opinion, not fact, so I see no reason to continue a discussion about it.

thats what a forum is for.

Seven
12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
thats what a forum is for.

Perhaps. But I'd rather not delve into the same discussion I've had with a number of users here half a dozen times over the last couple of months again when it's clear there aren't going to be any concessions on the part of Mendenhall supporters/apologists no matter what is said. I'd just rather not beat that dead horse.

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Perhaps. But I'd rather not delve into the same discussion I've had with a number of users here half a dozen times over the last couple of months again when it's clear there aren't going to be any concessions on the part of Mendenhall supporters/apologists no matter what is said. I'd just rather not beat that dead horse.

im not a mendenhall supporter.

Seven
12-22-2012, 09:36 AM
im not a mendenhall supporter.

I'm not necessarily saying you are, I just don't want to go into that topic again. It's beat. I've done it too many times. The fumbles, how good a back he is in general, talent vs. production... I've just gone through it one too many times.

I do think it is silly not to at least acknowledge the fumbles. But basically I just feel as if he shouldn't play because he quit on this team and it baffles me that others disagree because he might be marginally better than Redman or Dwyer.

Moose
12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
As I said many, many threads ago, I lost my respect for mendy in the Green Bay SB, when his fumble lost it for us. Then his constent fumbles just scares the hell out of me. Whenever he has the ball I hold my breath the whole time. He just doesn't know how to carry the damn ball !! And for someone reason no one on the coaching staff knows it either. I don't mind Dwyer and Redman, they seem to get the job done. And actually Dwyer seems to find a way 'around' the pile up and pick up a few more yards when necessary. Mendy's situation is really questionable to us all. We don't know what was said behind closed doors. As was said earlier, will he fumble on purpose ? How would we know when he hits the pile and just gives up and we lose yards.......or the ball ? When you are playing for your life towards the play-off is that the right time to play 'questionable' players, or do you play the players whose heart and soul is in the game and winning ? Again, we don't know what Mendy and Tomlin talked about or agreement they came up with, but is Tomlin sure that Mendy just didn't blow smoke up his butt in order to get back in the line up only to blow the play-off chance for the team and then hope he's somewhere else next year ? I just don't believe he can stop fumbling the way he does overnight. GO STEELERS

cold-hard-steel
12-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Well if you want my input,and maybe you don't,The whole team needs to be looking in the mirror.That goes for the whole coaching staff on down.Seems like we are reverting back to the sixties.

Steelreal
12-22-2012, 10:35 PM

You mean like Ben did in that Raven game? You remember Hines called him out on National Tv? Hines said the "LOCKER ROOM WAS DIVIDED". Do you really want to take this stance? Mendenhall SHOULD start. Do you think Ben would want to travel if Tomlin demoted him for a guy he is better than? Start Leftwich and see how Ben acts and he should be ticked. Ben is better than Byron. Just like Mendenhall is better than Dwyer and Redman.

Those guys limit our playbook. We cant run sweeps, counters or stretch plays. They are too slow to get to the edge. Mendenhall has been benched, he paid his price. Let him play so he can help his quarterback.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said many, many threads ago, I lost my respect for mendy in the Green Bay SB, when his fumble lost it for us. Then his constent fumbles just scares the hell out of me. Whenever he has the ball I hold my breath the whole time. He just doesn't know how to carry the damn ball !! And for someone reason no one on the coaching staff knows it either. I don't mind Dwyer and Redman, they seem to get the job done. And actually Dwyer seems to find a way 'around' the pile up and pick up a few more yards when necessary. Mendy's situation is really questionable to us all. We don't know what was said behind closed doors. As was said earlier, will he fumble on purpose ? How would we know when he hits the pile and just gives up and we lose yards.......or the ball ? When you are playing for your life towards the play-off is that the right time to play 'questionable' players, or do you play the players whose heart and soul is in the game and winning ? Again, we don't know what Mendy and Tomlin talked about or agreement they came up with, but is Tomlin sure that Mendy just didn't blow smoke up his butt in order to get back in the line up only to blow the play-off chance for the team and then hope he's somewhere else next year ? I just don't believe he can stop fumbling the way he does overnight. GO STEELERS

Who had more turnovers Mendy or Ben? Ben had a pick 6. Man you guys are biased as heck

Count Steeler
12-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Mendy was suspended, he has met with Tomlin, he doesn't seem to be apologetic to the team.

Regardless of what has been said in the media, Tomlin has the responsibility of putting his best team on the field, ready and able to succeed. I think Mendy deserves to play, but with a short leash. I think he will put forth a good effort and we will be pleasantly surprised. If he gives up on his team on Sunday, he should be released outright on Monday. Merry Christmas.

zulater
12-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't know if Mendenhall or Redman is the Steelers best overall back at the moment? I do think they're both better than Dwyer though. Regardless I'm fine if the coaches start with Mendenhall, just so long as they don't lock into him if he isn't producing.

As far as fumbling goes. I think Tomlin has overreacted with all these backs and come off looking silly they way he's benched them when and how he has. Going back to Dwyer in the Raider game when he was met 2 yards deep in the backfield and fumbled before he really had a chance to secure the handoff. And then the whole ordeal in Cleveland. It's one thing to take a guy out for a play or even a series and have a coach go over and stress ball security to him. But to exile someone over a fumble comes off as a fanboy reaction. Not that of a considered professional.

Steelreal
12-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Not to mention we dont Play Green Bay in the Super Bowl if it wasnt for Mendenhall. Remember that game vs the Jets? Must be nice to win a AFCCG with a 33 QB rating. Thx Mendenhall

zulater
12-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Not to mention we dont Play Green Bay in the Super Bowl if it wasnt for Mendenhall. Remember that game vs the Jets? Must be nice to win a AFCCG with a 33 QB rating. Thx Mendenhall

I'm not a Mendenhall basher. So I'm not getting into that with you.

But Ben's qb rating for that game wasn't really reflective of the way he played and what he contributed. If Ben doesn't make those plays at the end of the game we don't go to the Super Bowl.

Steelreal
12-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm not a Mendenhall basher. So I'm not getting into that with you.

But Ben's qb rating for that game wasn't really reflective of the way he played and what he contributed. If Ben doesn't make those plays at the end of the game we don't go to the Super Bowl.

MVP of that game was Mendenhall. So Ben makes a few clutch plays at the end and we disregard how bad he played? How come the same doesnt apply to Wallace? Mendenhall? Tomlin? Haley? Ike? Arians? Why just Ben? Really?

zulater
12-22-2012, 11:34 PM
MVP of that game was Mendenhall. So Ben makes a few clutch plays at the end and we disregard how bad he played? How come the same doesnt apply to Wallace? Mendenhall? Tomlin? Haley? Ike? Arians? Why just Ben? Really?

Ben didn't play bad that game.If you think he did you're either not really a Steelers fan or have a poor memory or bad perception. He helped put those early points on the board as much or more than anyone on the team.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=310123023&period=0

Once we established the big lead we went into our prevent offense mode, so I don't blame that on the qb.

Look I'm not getting into a multi front war with you and branching off into all the names you're trying to bring into the topic at the end of your post.

Just sticking to the topic of Mendenhall. I thought he was one of the league's ten best backs in 2010. I thought he was on the verge of breaking through to the next level in 2011.

But it didn't happen.

Should he start tommorow? If the coaches say so that's fine by me. I would hope that he showed well in practice this week and earned the start with what he showed there, and wasn't given the start on some sort of desperate emeritus hail Mary heave.

So I hope if he does start he plays well and helps the team win. Just as I hope Ben, Wallace and Tomlin all do their jobs well too.

43Hitman
12-22-2012, 11:35 PM

Because Ben is the QB. The Field General.

zulater
12-23-2012, 12:21 AM
One last thing before I hit the sack tonight. And sorry to derail the thread off topic.

But to the b.s. that Ben had a bad game against the Jets in the 2010 AFC championship game, basing that opinion strictly on his passer effeciency rating.

Over a season passer rating has some validity. But for a specific game that's not always the case. Over his career I can find you at least half a dozen examples where Ben posted a passer rating above 90 and played like absolute shit.

Ok that had to be said, now let's get it back to Rashard.

Good luck against the Bengals Rashard!

Steeldude
12-23-2012, 12:54 AM
With next year's cap situation the Steelers will need to cut corners. A good corner to cut would be Mendenhall.

Seven
12-23-2012, 02:59 AM
You mean like Ben did in that Raven game? You remember Hines called him out on National Tv? Hines said the "LOCKER ROOM WAS DIVIDED". Do you really want to take this stance? Mendenhall SHOULD start. Do you think Ben would want to travel if Tomlin demoted him for a guy he is better than? Start Leftwich and see how Ben acts and he should be ticked. Ben is better than Byron. Just like Mendenhall is better than Dwyer and Redman.

Those guys limit our playbook. We cant run sweeps, counters or stretch plays. They are too slow to get to the edge. Mendenhall has been benched, he paid his price. Let him play so he can help his quarterback.

- - - Updated - - -

Who had more turnovers Mendy or Ben? Ben had a pick 6. Man you guys are biased as heck

There is a huge difference between a franchise quarterback and a solid runningback. The QB is, of course, going to get much more leway in terms of turnovers because he is much harder to replace.

Seven
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Mendenhall will be active today. No word yet on who is starting. All five runningbacks are dressing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/23/mendenhall-will-be-active-for-steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/23/mendenhall-will-be-active-for-steelers/)

BnG_Hevn
12-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Does that mean that if BR doesn't make "the tackle" that you would have lost respect for Bettis?

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Does that mean that if BR doesn't make "the tackle" that you would have lost respect for Bettis?

Thats a great point!

zulater
12-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I think there's valid reasons to play and sit Mendenhall. But I don't think his fumble in SB XLV has any relevance.

That was a turning point in the game no question. But it was only one play out of about 140. You can't pin the loss on him, or at least you shouldn't. Also I wont defend every fumble, but that was more about a good play by Mathews than carelessness on Mendy's part.

Now back to today.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 11:36 AM
There is a huge difference between a franchise quarterback and a solid runningback. The QB is, of course, going to get much more leway in terms of turnovers because he is much harder to replace.

I am not talking about Leeway. I'm talking about criticism. It seems that EVERYON can get criticized except Ben. Ben had a 33 rating and played like ass vs the Jets and guys are making excuses for that bad play. Its incredible. Ben also played poorly in the Super Bowl after the Jets game and a guy blames Mendenhalls fumble. Really? Like I said put Ben on the bench for a guy that he is better than (Leftwich) and you watch how Ben acts. Think Ben is happy? I dont, nor should he be.

Seven
12-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I think there's valid reasons to play and sit Mendenhall. But I don't think his fumble in SB XLV has any relevance.

That was a turning point in the game no question. But it was only one play out of about 140. You can't pin the loss on him, or at least you shouldn't. Also I wont defend every fumble, but that was more about a good play by Mathews than carelessness on Mendy's part.

Now back to today.

I don't think anyone puts that loss solely on him, but it was an unfortunate mistake which no doubt attributed to the Steelers losing. As I said earlier, DJ missed the block but Matthews was in Mendenhall's line of sight. I see no reason why he shouldn't have held on.

As far as him playing today, Bouchette says he isn't starting. Which makes me ask why dress him? Tomlin said two weeks ago that unless Mendenhall was going to start there wasn't room for him on the active roster, so what has changed between now and then? It sounds like he is going to be used situationally on passing downs. I don't get it. If he's dressing, he should start.

zulater
12-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think anyone puts that loss solely on him, but it was an unfortunate mistake which no doubt attributed to the Steelers losing. As I said earlier, DJ missed the block but Matthews was in Mendenhall's line of sight. I see no reason why he shouldn't have held on.

As far as him playing today, Bouchette says he isn't starting. Which makes me ask why dress him? Tomlin said two weeks ago that unless Mendenhall was going to start there wasn't room for him on the active roster, so what has changed between now and then? It sounds like he is going to be used situationally on passing downs. I don't get it. If he's dressing, he should start.

Mendenhall could turn a game with 3 or 4 catches out of the backfield. So I can see that. He's dangerous in space.

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Sounds like Todd and Mike can't get on the same page. Sure hope Ben and Todd have a meeting of the minds.

Seven
12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Mendenhall could turn a game with 3 or 4 catches out of the backfield. So I can see that. He's dangerous in space.

But doesn't Chris Rainey give you the same thing?

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Heard/read that all 5 backs are dressed today.

zulater
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
But doesn't Chris Rainey give you the same thing?

Not hardly. Rainey doesn't read the field very well and doesn't make the most of his blocks and tends to run into traffic.

Seven
12-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Not hardly. Rainey doesn't read the field very well and doesn't make the most of his blocks and tends to run into traffic.

I don't think I buy it. The longest reception Mendenhall has ever had was 35 yards and only has 2 receiving touchdowns in his entire career. You could probably sell me on the idea of him being used in pass protection easier than you could that he is dynamic out of the backfield. But again, Baron Batch fills that need quite nicely. I think Mendenhall's game-breaking ability is severly overrated while the rest of his skills tend to be underrated. My opinion that if he's playing it should be as the starter stands. I don't see any advantage to dressing him otherwise. Hopefully I'm wrong.

zulater
12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't think I buy it. The longest reception Mendenhall has ever had was 35 yards and only has 2 receiving touchdowns in his entire career. You could probably sell me on the idea of him being used in pass protection easier than you could that he is dynamic out of the backfield. But again, Baron Batch fills that need quite nicely. I think Mendenhall's game-breaking ability is severly overrated while the rest of his skills tend to be underrated. My opinion that if he's playing it should be as the starter stands. I don't see any advantage to dressing him otherwise. Hopefully I'm wrong.

You make a solid argument. But whatever role he fills today I just hope he does it well. :pray:

Count Steeler
12-23-2012, 11:58 AM
You make a solid argument. But whatever role he fills today I just hope he does it well. :pray:

Maybe his sweats are still in the wash, so Tomlin doesn't want another incident. Hope he contributes in some way.

steeldawg
12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
dwyer starting but you will see alot of mendy by the 2nd quarter, also look for huge games from ben, wallace, and brown today.

Steelreal
12-23-2012, 12:00 PM

It was a great play but should it have come down to that? Ben played great in the 1st half but like in true BR form he can NEVER put together a whole game of elite play. He isnt focused, he doesnt have killer instinct. How often do we blow anyone out? 4 40 point games in NINE years? You guys are so critical on all the other Steelers and I agree with most of your assessments. However, when it comes to Ben Roethlisberger a blind eye is turned. The rally cry is always "HES WON 2 SUPER BOWLS". So did Ike Taylor so does that make him better than Reavis? No. IN those 3 Super Bowls Ben Roethlisber has less TDs than INTS In those 3 Super Bowls (3 TDS and 5 INTS). He has a Qb rating of 64.4 in those 3 Super Bowls. And Clutch? At times yes he is. But the totality of the numbers says it all. Ben Roethlisbers has 20 TDs and 17 ints in his playoff career. If that was Leftiwch, Batch or Bristers numbers would the thoughts be the same?

zulater
12-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Maybe his sweats are still in the wash, so Tomlin doesn't want another incident. Hope he contributes in some way.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/duce1.jpg

I'm sure there's an old pair of Duce's still around.