PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com: A pre-camp chat with Kevin Colbert

stillers4me
07-29-2010, 05:49 AM
A pre-camp chat with Kevin Colbert

Another in a series of stories previewing Steelers Training Camp, presented by Xfinity.

Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert gives a run-down of training camp from the perspective of the player personnel department, while also answering questions about the Steelers’ depth at quarterback and whether the team is too old.

Q. When it comes to training camp, how are the scouts used to help in the evaluations being made that go into determining the final 53-man roster?

A. Each of the scouts is assigned a position. He will watch that position at practice, and then after each practice we get together and watch the film as a group. Each guy is watching his position, and then we will have a meeting in the afternoon on the day of the night practice in Latrobe, which this summer is on Friday, Aug. 6. We put together our thoughts for the discussion with the coaches, which is usually the following Tuesday. Each scout is assigned one position to watch..............
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-pre-camp-chat-with-Kevin-Colbert/4aca73a5-25c4-4202-b907-40fa7a25e909

SteelerSal
07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Q. Why was Adrian Jones on the street without a contract so close to the opening of training camps?

A. He was headed to the UFL. He had not signed a contract yet, but he did have a contract offer. Adrian went to training camp last year with the Houston Texans, was cut and not picked back up. He sat out the entire season. It’s odd that a 29-year-old guy with starting experience at three offensive line positions was available, but fortunately for us he was out there.

I can answer that....maybe it's because the guy is a bum??

Q. If you were a fan sitting up on the hills overlooking practice at this camp, which young players would you be most interested in watching?

A. You’re looking for your young players to take a step. You’re always excited about what the draft picks are, because you’ve never seen them in live competition, except for the dressed-down work they do at minicamp and the OTAs. So with that in mind, offensively, I’d like to see if Mike Wallace can take another step after he obviously showed some things last year, and also Rashard Mendenhall. He had a good season last year, and can he follow up and exceed that. Those would be two exciting guys. Defensively, there really isn’t a lot of uncertainty as far as the starters or new guys. It’ll be good to see how Bryant McFadden fits back into the defense, and how Keenan Lewis, who was held back somewhat by injury last year, can improve or progress in his second training camp.

Love reading that Colbert is looking forward to seeing if Wallace is ready to step up as much as we all are.

Austin87
07-30-2010, 04:19 AM
I don't like it when people say the team is to old. Age is just a number, doesn't matter if you're 25 or 35 as long as you get the job done.