PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Goodell gone mad?

stillers4me
12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Mike Wallace reacted as any normal person would: He shook his head and laughed.

I was attempting to explain to Wallace the ridiculous idea that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had broached in a recent issue of Time magazine.

The first part of the idea called for eliminating kickoffs. The second part was downright insane: Instead of a team kicking off after it scores a touchdown or field goal, it would retain the ball with a fourth-and-15 on its 30-yard line. It would then choose to go for it or punt.

“Huh?” Wallace said.

Exactly.

I explained again.

“You serious?” he said...............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/3147377-74/goodell-clark-game#ixzz2Fdc2xG94

Craic
12-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I wonder if Starkey has ever had a real job - especially one in an organization where his responsibility is to lead others and manage things, because this article shows his absolute ignorance.

First, Here's Goodell's quote AFTER that. "It's a much different end of the play…It's an off-the-wall idea," Goodell said. "It's different and makes you think differently. It did me." Now, just in case Starkey EVER reads this, and for those out there who've never been in a position where they have to field ideas for things, may I suggest that you remember, THIS IS HIS JOB.

That's right. Fielding these types of ideas and then presenting them is PRECISELY his job. Everyone that is declaring him a dictator, and then getting ticked for him bringing this to the table, is a hypocrite. Why? Because his job is NOT to determine what the good and bad ideas are. His job is to bring the ideas to the committees and others in charge, and then discuss it with them, get their opinion, and THEN decide whether it goes further than that, in accordance with others. Leaders of organizations where they do not own the organization, often have to present ideas and concepts that they personally dismiss or don't like, because it's their job.

I really could care less about Goodell - ever since he let the Pats* off the hook and didn't even suspend Bellicheat. But this kind of ignorance above is just shoddy "muddy the water" and stir up the natives type journalism. It's PRECISELY the same thing that's happening to Ben right now.

Seven
12-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Starkey has ever had a real job - especially one in an organization where his responsibility is to lead others and manage things, because this article shows his absolute ignorance.

First, Here's Goodell's quote AFTER that. "It's a much different end of the play…It's an off-the-wall idea," Goodell said. "It's different and makes you think differently. It did me." Now, just in case Starkey EVER reads this, and for those out there who've never been in a position where they have to field ideas for things, may I suggest that you remember, THIS IS HIS JOB.

That's right. Fielding these types of ideas and then presenting them is PRECISELY his job. Everyone that is declaring him a dictator, and then getting ticked for him bringing this to the table, is a hypocrite. Why? Because his job is NOT to determine what the good and bad ideas are. His job is to bring the ideas to the committees and others in charge, and then discuss it with them, get their opinion, and THEN decide whether it goes further than that, in accordance with others. Leaders of organizations where they do not own the organization, often have to present ideas and concepts that they personally dismiss or don't like, because it's their job.

I really could care less about Goodell - ever since he let the Pats* off the hook and didn't even suspend Bellicheat. But this kind of ignorance above is just shoddy "muddy the water" and stir up the natives type journalism. It's PRECISELY the same thing that's happening to Ben right now.

I'm not a fan of Goodell but I agree. Starkey can really dumb sometimes.

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:33 PM

And he made sure to put "Goodell gone mad" in the title and add the part about it being Schiano's ideas a few paragraphs into the article. Who cares about being accurate!?! It's all about getting that eye-catching headline and "Schiano gone mad" just wouldn't have cut it.

Sensationalist journalism at its finest.

zulater
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
And he made sure to put "Goodell gone mad" in the title and add the part about it being Schiano's ideas a few paragraphs into the article. Who cares about being accurate!?! It's all about getting that eye-catching headline and "Schiano gone mad" just wouldn't have cut it.

I've heard that writers don't always put the title on their story header. Isn't that as often as not the job of the editor? And the editor is looking to get hits on a web site, or draw attention to the story if someone is glancing at the page.

Seven
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM

No other type exists any longer.

Chidi29
12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I've heard that writers don't always put the title on their story header. Isn't that as often as not the job of the editor? And the editor is looking to get hits on a web site, or draw attention to the story if someone is glancing at the page.

I know why it's the headline but it doesn't make it any less disgusting to see.

And it may very well be the editor that is at fault but Starkey still made sure to lead off with Goodell being the one to "broach the issue". Schiano came in afterward and only for a sentence or two.