PDA

View Full Version : Return of running game a must for Steelers offense

stillers4me
12-19-2012, 01:03 PM
The Steelers signed another cornerback Tuesday, placed two more players on injured reserve and contacted the missing persons bureau to help find a running game that vanished more than a month ago.

Not since Nov. 18 have the Steelers topped 100 yards rushing as a team. Not since Nov. 4 have they had an effective running game, when Isaac Redman chewed up the New York Giants for 147 yards.

The ground game they discovered at mid-season nearly has ground to a halt. It has slipped to 26th in the NFL in yards per outing at 96.5 yards and 26th in the NFL with an average of 3.8 yards per carry..............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/return-of-running-game-a-must-for-steelers-offense-666919/#ixzz2FWg3xOPU

Edman
12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
That's impossible unless the run blocking improves, and that's not happening anytime soon with Colon on the sideline.

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
we have not drafted Le'veon Ball RB Michigan state yet , so I doubt we have much success in that department ....

I was all for Dwyer , but he has failed to be consistent enough for my liking .... time to target one in the first half of the draft like Ball ....

Bluecoat96
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
This article has a title that just screams, "NO SHIT, SHERLOCK."

XxKnightxX
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
we have not drafted Le'veon Ball RB Michigan state yet , so I doubt we have much success in that department ....

I was all for Dwyer , but he has failed to be consistent enough for my liking .... time to target one in the first half of the draft like Ball ....

With the gaping holes we have in the secondary Linebackers NT and O line? No thanks, id rather sign a body off the street. I wouldn't waste anything higher than a 5th for a RB

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
With the gaping holes we have in the secondary Linebackers NT and O line? No thanks, id rather sign a body off the street. I wouldn't waste anything higher than a 5th for a RB

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

holes in the secondary are for the most part due to injury , granted we need to get younger st S ....

as for NT I think we have some solutions already on the roster they are just not being used nearly enough ....

Linebacker esp Inside is a need no doubt , but I think we could draft and fill those needs by going BPA for the needs of the team instead of simply BPA across the board ...

plenty of ways to fill those needs and still end up with a quality RB around round 3 ....

we should be getting a supplemental selection for Gay probably a 5th round pick .... Trade our existing 5th rounder to the Raiders for McClain and that would help greatly in filling one hole IMO

Target your draft something like this ...

1) Kenny Vaccaro S Texas , T.J McDonald S USC , Arthur Brown ILB Kansas State

2) Tony Jefferson S Oklahoma , David Amerson CB N.C. State , Xavier Rhodes FS FSU , Shayne Skov ILB Stanford , Nico Johnson ILB Alabama , John Simon OLB Ohio state , Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU

3) assuming you obtained one of your guys in each of the first two rounds ( and it is reasonable to assume you can ) Take Le'veon Ball RB Michigan state if he is there now and you have strenghtened 3 spots on your football team in areas of need ....

4) Shawn Williams S Georgia , Bruce Taylor, ILB Virginia Tech , Brad Sorensen QB S. Utah , Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech , ( continuing to fill those needs based on what you where able to acquire in the first 2 rounds )

5) Traded to Raiders for McClain

5) supplemental selection I assume we get for Gay ...Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee , C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa , Micah Hyde CB Iowa , Blaize Foltz OG TCU , Phillip Thomas S Fresno state

6) Robert Alford CB Southeastern Louisiana , Brandon Williams DE Missouri southern , Demetrius McCray S Appalachian State , Keenan Davis WR Iowa

7) and UDFA ...
Lamar Mandy OG Youngstown state
Terron Armstead OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
Tyler Shaw WR NW Missouri st
Ryan Spadola WR Lehigh
Micholas Edwards WR Eastern Washington
Craig Wilkins ILB Old Dominion
Eric Kush C/G Cal Pa
Ty Powel LB Harding
Dri Archer wr/rb/st Kent St
Baker Steinkuhler DE Nebraska

sorry got carried away this would be better suited for the draft section but it was a response to saying we do not have the ability with out needs to take a RB ....

Edman
12-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Running Backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Guys like Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice are a rare breed.

The Steelers have already spent a pick on a 1st round back, he's currently on his way out of Pittsburgh.

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Running Backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Guys like Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice are a rare breed.

The Steelers have already spent a pick on a 1st round back, he's currently on his way out of Pittsburgh.

did not see anyone say 1st round pick ....

no point letting the facts stand in the way of your otherwise perfectly sound argument

86WARD
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Missed the opportunity against Dallas to just run it up the middle. The chance was there with how horrible the Cowboys were/are up the middle right now. That was the time to reestablish it...

Count Steeler
12-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Missed the opportunity against Dallas to just run it up the middle. The chance was there with how horrible the Cowboys were/are up the middle right now. That was the time to reestablish it...

We always miss the opportunity to take advantage of an opponents weakness. If the situation was reversed, we would probably throw to Victorian 2 or 3 times in this game. How many times did the Cowboys target him?

Carr had made a couple of decent plays in the 1st quarter against Ben. It would have been my reaction to say, "hmmm, this kid came to play today, let's roll our plays away from him." Instead, where do we throw in OT? And where was Miller in the 2nd half/OT? How can you ignore your best receiver in such a close game?

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Ben. It would have been my reaction to say, "hmmm, this kid came to play today, let's roll our plays away from him." Instead, where do we throw in OT? And where was Miller in the 2nd half/OT? How can you ignore your best receiver in such a close game?

each receiver in the pattern is a potential target , it is the QB that dictates ( supposedly based on the coverage ) where the ball ultimately goes , only 1 guy on the field determines who gets thrown to and who is avoided coverage wise .... read progressions are key here .......

Psycho Ward 86
12-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Well decastro, its going to be up to you: if you pancake burfict early in the game you'll be setting the tone and we'll win. if you dont, we lose :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I was pissed when round 5 came and went , round 6 came and went , round 7 came and went and Burfict came and went and we still had a chance to nab him as an UDFA and still never made an attempt from anything I have read ... Player had some issues but proved to be far to talented to let stroll on by without so much as a a couple kicks on the tires ..... and can pull some posts up on it from my old forum if you need proof of my saying it

hell will just do it now while I have the time ....

Chase Minifield .....( many thought of as a second or third round pick ..... ) Redskins

Cliff Harris ... ( many pegged as a first or second round pick without off field red flags ) Eagles

Baptiste ... a solid NT prospect with a ton of upside would have been perfect in round 7 for the PS for depth ( instead he is a Raven )

Vontaze Burfict .... ( first round talent with a UDFA head on his shoulders ) a Bengal

would they have been better than some of the 6th & 7th rounders we selected ABSOLUTELY from a pure talent perspective

but we still had a pretty productive draft but why settle at the end when clearly you could have done more :thinking: