PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ike Taylor out vs. Bengals

Count Steeler
12-18-2012, 06:59 PM
The boot is off Ike Taylor's fractured ankle.

It's still too soon, however, for the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback to slip his cleats back on.

Taylor will miss his third straight game on Sunday when the Steelers (7-7) try to revive their postseason hopes against Cincinnati (8-6) in a game that will likely define the season of both teams.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday he's encouraged by Taylor's progress but that Pittsburgh's secondary will have to find a way to defend Cincinnati's deep group of receivers without its best cornerback.

The Steelers won't have one of their fastest cornerbacks either after fill-in DeMarcus Van Dyke was placed on the injured reserve after injuring his shoulder in Sunday's 27-24 overtime loss in Dallas. Pittsburgh signed veteran free agent Justin King to provide depth, but it will be largely up to Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen and Josh Victorian to slow down Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton and second-year receiver A.J. Green.

Victorian, a practice squad player, was pressed into service against the Cowboys and endured a difficult afternoon. Then again, he was hardly alone as Dallas quarterback Tony Romo lit up the Steelers for 341 yards passing and two scores in a rare off day for the league's top pass defense.

Tomlin praised Victorian's effort but knows things are unlikely to get easier while facing one of the best young offenses in the NFL.

''We are going to have our hands full,'' Tomlin said.

full store @ http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ike-taylor-to-miss-third-straight-game-fractured-ankle-cincinnati-bengals-121812

st33lersguy
12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
That will be costly, if I remember correctly, we have been successful in containing down Green, in our first 3 meetings with him due to Taylor, and he has always successfully shut down Cinci's no. 1 receiver, whether it be Green or Ocho Stinko. Hopefully Lewis will play and has improved enough to the level where he can shut down Green

Seven
12-18-2012, 11:35 PM
LeBeau HAS to move Lewis with Green as he does with Taylor and the team's number one receiver if we're to have any hope of keeping him at bay to the level we normally do.

Steelreal
12-18-2012, 11:55 PM
No way. We must play Cover 2 man with Ryan and Troy deep. If we have Lewis (slow) covering speedy Green, we are done. I'm glad Ike got hurt so all of his crtics can now appreciate him. Similar to when Ben got hurt BOY DID I MISS HIM

Seven
12-19-2012, 01:23 AM
No way. We must play Cover 2 man with Ryan and Troy deep. If we have Lewis (slow) covering speedy Green, we are done. I'm glad Ike got hurt so all of his crtics can now appreciate him. Similar to when Ben got hurt BOY DID I MISS HIM

So you'd prefer letting Green run free as long as we have Clark or Troy over the top? No thanks. That's asking for trouble.

Oh, I see you said "cover 2 man" so I assume you mean Cover 2, man under. If that's the case, you don't want Lewis "SLOW" on Green over Allen or Victorian? Please explain this to me.

Not to mention, if Troy plays instead of Will Allen, cover 2 probably isn't going to happen all that much due to the nature of the personnel.

zulater
12-19-2012, 06:17 AM
At least Cortez Allen will be back for this game. And thankfully Keenan Lewis as well. We can win this game with these guys if they play up to their best. I'm not looking at this negatively. The Steelers control their own fate and are reasonably healthy going into this game. So let's get it done.