PDA

View Full Version : A former Steelers safety thinks they need get the ball to Heath Miller more, too.

stillers4me
12-17-2012, 06:36 PM
A former Steelers safety thinks they need get the ball to Heath Miller more, too.
It's one thing for me or you to say the Steelers need to find a way to get the ball to Heath Miller more, but it holds a little more weight when a guy who played 10 years in the NFL says it, too. Former Steelers S Mike Logan said Monday on TribLive Radio that he doesn't understand why the Steelers don't feature Miller more.

"If I am the Pittsburgh Steelers and I see the success that they have throwing Heath Miller the football, I am going to continue to feed that young man the football as much as I can. He is a mismatch for basically every linebacker in the NFL and half the safeties. To me, it is a no-brainer if I am Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger, I am putting in as many option routes for Heath Miller as I can to get him the football," Logan said .

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/712633ff-f871-4b3a-84e5-1f84144945d9/?source=twitter

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Not sure why this is coming up when Heath is averaging 7.5 targets, 79.5 yards, and .5 TDs in the past month. He's been our most reliable receiver and our go-to guy the past couple weeks.

steelreserve
12-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Not sure why this is coming up when Heath is averaging 7.5 targets, 79.5 yards, and .5 TDs in the past month. He's been our most reliable receiver and our go-to guy the past couple weeks.

Well, why not make it 12 targets and 100 yards. Basically all the other receivers are having diarrhea all over themselves and Milller is the only one that 1) gets open all the time, 2) you're sure will catch the ball, and 3) doesn't fumble it.

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Well, why not make it 12 targets and 100 yards. Basically all the other receivers are having diarrhea all over themselves and Milller is the only one that 1) gets open all the time, 2) you're sure will catch the ball, and 3) doesn't fumble it.

Well come on, there is a limit. You can't throw it to him every single time you drop back.

zulater
12-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Well come on, there is a limit. You can't throw it to him every single time you drop back.

Though sometimes it seems as it might be a really really good idea! :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Mike Logan should have spent more time learning his trade and less worrying himself about the other side of the ball , sure what he says sounds good but when a play is called you have as the QB to make your read progressions ... if Ben can not see Miller is open and get him the ball how is that on Haley or anyone else ?

every receiver out in the pattern is an option for each play , Ben determines ultimately who he throws it to .. granted there are 1st 2nd 3rd 4th options on each pass play but you throw to the open man the play is called before the Def shows itself , before you see who is and is not open .. the QB makes the determination on who gets the ball 10 times out of 10 ........

Heinz Hitman
12-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Yeah. This.

Count Steeler
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Because unlike our defense, other teams will make adjustments and change the coverage on Miller.

Shoes
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Because unlike our defense, other teams will make adjustments and change the coverage on Miller.

:chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
if they do adjust to cover miller, then someoen else is going to be open , but hell i would throw to heath even if he was dbl covered if he touchs the damn ball 95% of the time he seems to haul it in

X-Terminator
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Why not? Jason Witten caught 18 passes in a game against the Giants earlier this season. If Heath's open, feed him the ball, and keep doing it until the defense tries to stop him...which ultimately opens up the field for the rest of the receiving corps.

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Why not? Jason Witten caught 18 passes in a game against the Giants earlier this season. If Heath's open, feed him the ball, and keep doing it until the defense tries to stop him...which ultimately opens up the field for the rest of the receiving corps.

Still, you can't exactly bash the offense for not feeding him the ball enough when he had probably his second best statistical game of the season. And if Heath is open and no one else is, Ben should get him the ball.

X-Terminator
12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Still, you can't exactly bash the offense for not feeding him the ball enough when he had probably his second best statistical game of the season. And if Heath is open and no one else is, Ben should get him the ball.

I wasn't really bashing the offense per se, just making a point. There isn't a law that says you have to only throw to Miller a handful of times a game when he has been their most reliable target and always seems to find himself open.

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I wasn't really bashing the offense per se, just making a point. There isn't a law that says you have to only throw to Miller a handful of times a game when he has been their most reliable target and always seems to find himself open.

No, there isn't an actual limit but it isn't as if he had a one catch day. It was one of his best games of the season.

86WARD
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
But when you need a big play, why not go to the most dependable player?

Steeldude
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Isn't he generally ignored for an entire half? I think someone posted how he was thrown to once in the 2nd half of the Cowboys' game. The other WRs don't seem be able to catch or hold onto the ball. Why not double Miller's targets?

Dwinsgames
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Isn't he generally ignored for an entire half? I think someone posted how he was thrown to once in the 2nd half of the Cowboys' game. The other WRs don't seem be able to catch or hold onto the ball. Why not double Miller's targets?

that is a question Ben needs to be asked , every time Miller is out on a route Ben has the option to throw it to any receiver on the field , sure a play is called with a #1 read , then the 2 . the 3 etc etc until you hit the check down of the RB .....Miller is on that list it is Ben's job to find the open man regardless if he is the intended 1 ,2,3 or 4th option the one that is open should get the ball every time ....

so ask Ben instead of blaming Haley who is on the sidelines

- - - Updated - - -

Chidi29
12-17-2012, 11:08 PM

We'd have to look at the tape to see how the Cowboys adjusted to Miller's big first half. I'm sure they realized what kind of big game he was having, too.