PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben calling out Haley's play calling

JayC
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
apparently called the play calling out 3 times in his post game interview

here we go again

steel9guy
12-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Great, just the drama we need right now.

Shoes
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
IF Ben said that, should remember his last play.

steel9guy
12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
IF Ben said that, should remember his last play.

Ben is my favorite player but couldn't agree more.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Yup, just what we need, leadership.

steeldawg
12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I knew this would happen, ben wants to go down the field thats what he does best thats what our receivers do best. Our offense can only move the ball out of the no huddle when ben is making the reads at the line.

86WARD
12-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Here it comes...lol...the moment the media has been waiting for...

tube517
12-16-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/mills-lane-lets-get-it-on.jpg :chuckle:

Steeldude
12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
There were WRs open in the beginning of plays, but BR does not throw it. IMO, BR is more of a QB who throws to a WR rather than to a spot. I believe this is why he runs around so much while pump faking. It's difficult to have an identity or consistency with schoolyard football. Also, BR's passes were not crisp today so I don't think he should complain too much about the calls.

Edman
12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Here we go...

It wasn't Haley who told you to stare downfield and do nothing, Ben.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Looks to me that Ben is struggling throwing to the right. Don't think he is fully 100%.

Steeldude
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I knew this would happen, ben wants to go down the field thats what he does best thats what our receivers do best. Our offense can only move the ball out of the no huddle when ben is making the reads at the line.

You do know that BR does not throw long very well? BR liked Arians because he was greedy and loved schoolyard ball. What BR does best is extend plays with his pocket presence.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Ben needs to learn his place , the coaches are the players boss's ...

I would not try calling your boss out in the media or you could be unemployed .. since Ben is a high profile athlete nobody would dare can him , but moves like this are never good for the team ...

Kittyfish
12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I love Ben but he needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
You do know that BR does not throw long very well? BR liked Arians because he was greedy and loved schoolyard ball. What BR does best is extend plays with his pocket presence.

Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody have a link? A quote? A site?

Craic
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Has anyone heard the supposed quotes in context yet? Are they posted someplace?

If not, may I suggest we wait before running off at the mouth (or keyboard). Honestly, how many times have we seen this? Ben or someone else says something that is innocuous at best, then it's taken and spun through the "Haley and Ben are going to have a blow-up" narrative already pre-set by the sports media. Only to find out that it wasn't even close to what was originally reported, let alone the second and third day of echoes and commentary.

Kittyfish
12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Has anyone heard the supposed quotes in context yet? Are they posted someplace?

If not, may I suggest we wait before running off at the mouth (or keyboard). Honestly, how many times have we seen this? Ben or someone else says something that is innocuous at best, then it's taken and spun through the "Haley and Ben are going to have a blow-up" narrative already pre-set by the sports media. Only to find out that it wasn't even close to what was originally reported, let alone the second and third day of echoes and commentary.

Well, no need to be so reasonable about it. You're spoiling all our fun. :-)

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
There were WRs open in the beginning of plays, but BR does not throw it. IMO, BR is more of a QB who throws to a WR rather than to a spot. I believe this is why he runs around so much while pump faking. It's difficult to have an identity or consistency with schoolyard football. Also, BR's passes were not crisp today so I don't think he should complain too much about the calls.

Very Very insightful post. Props

JayC
12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oAz3Ft8EJdQ

i see part of it at 2:35 but apparently there are 2 other times might not be in that video

stillers4me
12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird
#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) had ball with 648 & 147 left in regulation w/ 3 timeouts, I'm sure that's where Ben wanted no-huddle. Both drives killed by sacks

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
bah from that video , if that was the extent of it , then it sounds to be a whole lot about nothing and making a mountain out of a molehill ......again if that is all that was said

JayC
12-16-2012, 08:22 PM
bah from that video , if that was the extent of it , then it sounds to be a whole lot about nothing and making a mountain out of a molehill ......again if that is all that was said
i agree. i thought it would be more than that but i guess i should expect it from the media from now. the guys on kdka post game / trib making it sound worse than what it is. but still, even though the words aren't that bad i think there is an underlining in bens words that shows he will never get over losing BA. ben, get over it!!!

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 08:24 PM
i agree. i thought it would be more than that but i guess i should expect it from the media from now. the guys on kdka post game / trib making it sound worse than what it is. but still, even though the words aren't that bad i think there is an underlining in bens words that shows he will never get over losing BA. ben, get over it!!!

Then trade him straight up for Luck. :behindsofa:

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 08:24 PM

I agree. Whole lot of nothing.

fansince'76
12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I would actually be interested to know what exactly the fuck Haley was thinking when he turned Ben into a RB for a play only to get clocked after getting a lousy 2 yards.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I would actually be interested to know what exactly the fuck Haley was thinking when he turned Ben into a RB for a play only to get clocked after getting a lousy 2 yards.

Yeah, did not like that play call at all.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, did not like that play call at all.

I did not like the fact that he got drilled after going feet first ( that is give up mode )

steelerdude15
12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Honestly, I've noticed that the offensive play calling isn't as good as it was at the beginning of the season. I wasn't able to watch majority of the game because of a work Christmas party, but from what I did see, it was average. I'm still a firm believer that Haley is better than Arians.

Count Steeler
12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I did not like the fact that he got drilled after going feet first ( that is give up mode )

Still an unreasonable risk. One thing if he is scrambling, but not good to call his number. IMO.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2012, 08:35 PM

I'm not so sure that Ben didn't call his own number on that play based on the defense. Whoever called it though, it wasn't a smart play.

steelpride12
12-16-2012, 08:39 PM
My thought still is that Ben is not 100%. He majorly throws to his left the last 2 games which strongly limits his passing ability and strenghts and I would even go as far to say we might have won 1 or both of these games if Batch was it. Am I only blaming Ben, NO, but It contributed strongly.

HollywoodSteel
12-16-2012, 08:40 PM
This absolutely nothing. Ben repeatedly put all the blame for the loss on his own shoulders. When he talked about the wrong play being called he always said we. For all we know Ben called the play that broke down on that pass play to Heath. It was during that no huddle drive. To me it didn't sound like he was calling Haley out, just that in few circumstances it turned out that they had the wrong play called in retrospect based on what the defense did. Remember, Ben can change the play at the line based on what he sees. It sounds to me like he's mostly blaming himself.

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Then trade him straight up for Luck. :behindsofa:
Colts would never do that. Nor would I. I love how Ben is ALWAYS accountable. Class personified. HOWEVER, he needs to start getting in the faces of his receivers.

Craic
12-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Alright, outside of that bit of hard-to-argue logic . . . (:chuckle: I think quite a few were asking the same thing).

Check out the fifty five second mark of the video. He's asked if Dallas took away Heath in the second half. Ben says
"NO, I just don't think we called the right plays to get him the ball, There were a couple times we called plays that we didn't execute correctly."

1:35 Going back and forth, how does the playcalling change between you and the sidelines

Um, you know, that's tough for me right now. In the second half we didn't do much of it.

2:40 on the play to Heath.

The play got called and they went to a prevent defense. So the play that was called wasn't a good play at all.

I have to admit, the third one sounded really bad at first. Then I went back and listened to it again and realized that he said the defense went to a prevent AFTER the play was called, and that was why it was a bad play. If this is it, then there's a little bit of something, but he's taking as much of the blame as he's saying is Haley's. Basically, wrong plays were called, and calls were played that we didn't execute, and other plays were called, then the defense comes out in a formation that makes it a bad play.

Not much of an issue. It'll be front page news tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Colts would never do that. Nor would I. I love how Ben is ALWAYS accountable. Class personified. HOWEVER, he needs to start getting in the faces of his receivers.
Not his style. Why would you want him to change a part of his personality?

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Not his style? Ben is tough. Ben is known in the burgh as an arrogant sob. Trust me Ben has it in him. He needs to start barking at these underachievers

steelerdude15
12-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Not his style? Ben is tough. Ben is known in the burgh as an arrogant sob. Trust me Ben has it in him. He needs to start barking at these underachievers

The old Ben was known as an arrogant sob, not the new Ben.

Steelreal
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Ok if you say so lol. He still needs to start getting on those guys

HollywoodSteel
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM

He did. He called out his teammates and himself at halftime last week and after the game. He got in the whole team's face. Apparently getting in people's faces, holding them accountable, etc. doesn't actually prevent guys from screwing up in key situations. Go figure.

steelerdude15
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
By the way, I just watched the video posted earlier. How on Earth is he calling out the play calling? Just because you say one play wasn't good, doesn't mean that he's calling out the play calling. What a croc of shit.

pepsyman1
12-16-2012, 11:58 PM

To me it looked like Ben made that decision on his own

fansince'76
12-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Not much of an issue. It'll be front page news tomorrow.

Tomorrow? Try today.

Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear
(http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#axzz2FEoiznJ3)
:rolleyes:

Craic
12-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Tomorrow? Try today.

Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear
(http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#axzz2FEoiznJ3)
:rolleyes:

Yep, I knew that third quote would be taken out of context. I mean, seriously, he has a point about not going back to Miller. But does he know WHY? It's the same thing I argued about when it came to the press and self-appointed OC's concerning Arians. We have no idea what is happening behind the scenes. How do we know that any of those first three plays were supposed to be a throw to Miller and Ben noticed which D was on the field and made a change in the huddle? How do we . . . ah forget it.

Funny thing. I can't wait to see how long the FIRE ARIANS people are going to become the FIRE HALEY people - and the rest of us end up being called apologists because lo and behold, we actually don't think we know better than the coaches and owners.

BOHICA!

zulater
12-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.
That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.
So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.
“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”
Whoa, right?

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#ixzz2FImiWjTJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Haley called a poor game if this is true.

steeldawg
12-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.
That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.
So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.
“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”
Whoa, right?

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#ixzz2FImiWjTJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Haley called a poor game if this is true.

I have to agree why wouldnt we use miller, the guy is great over the middle.

86WARD
12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tHjQgPpYmcQ

fansince'76
12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tHjQgPpYmcQ

Disney Channel II doing what it does best - parsing statements and taking them completely out of context. And of course not a WORD about what Rodgers said regarding the Packers' playcalling, which was FAR worse.

43Hitman
12-17-2012, 07:45 PM
And so it begins....

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
They were even talking about this on Mike & Mike this morning. What a joke!

Dwinsgames
12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
THIS is calling out your coaches ...

Aaron Rodgers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3118/aaron-rodgers) was not happy with Green Bay’s coaching staff. Rodgers told Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/0ap2000000113111/Rodgers-2012-Packers-reminiscent-of-2010-squad) today that he thought it was a stupid call.
“I wasn’t thrilled about the call, to be honest with you,” Rodgers said. “At that point, I think it was 7:57 on the clock, we’re up two scores, we’ve been moving the ball pretty well. Maybe not the right call in that situation. . . . Just not a very intelligent call at that point in the game.”

oh wait that was not Ben ... yep sure what Ben did was far worse /rolls eyes

fansince'76
12-17-2012, 07:53 PM
THIS is calling out your coaches ...

Aaron Rodgers was not happy with Green Bay’s coaching staff. Rodgers told Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network today that he thought it was a stupid call.
“I wasn’t thrilled about the call, to be honest with you,” Rodgers said. “At that point, I think it was 7:57 on the clock, we’re up two scores, we’ve been moving the ball pretty well. Maybe not the right call in that situation. . . . Just not a very intelligent call at that point in the game.”

oh wait that was not Ben ... yep sure what Ben did was far worse /rolls eyes

Of course, the media has been waiting all year for something like this to pounce on, considering the "Rosetta Stone" and the "ZOMG! Haley was hired by the Steelers 3 days ago and Ben hasn't called him yet!" bullshit that they ran into the ground the entire offseason.

steel striker
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Media (Bspn, NFLNW) making a mountain out of a molehill. Non issue as far as I'm concerned.